Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Spyder Garage

Not everyone gets 24 mpg and 1hr between gas ups. I have a 2012 RT-L and get 37 to 40 mpg and average about 3hrs between fill ups but ride conservatively about 60 mph and always 2-up. I have over 12,000 miles and never been back in the shop since the first 600 mile check and no problems to speak of. I have been riding motorcycles for 62 years and just love this machine.
    Roger

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Houndguy View Post
    But someone mentioned steering and I'm a little confused. I thought I saw a review on Youtube where they were talking about leaning into the corners on a Spyder (which to me would indicate counter steering). I assume you drive the bike comparable to a car then?
    You have to steer around the corners. When you first move from a bike to a Sypder it feels really strange but you get used to it. The Spyder stays flat in corners but you lean. Now the amount you do so is up to you and how hard you like to ride. I have an RS and like to 'play' in corners so I lean in to the corner and forward to keep the front-inside wheel on the ground (as soon as it lifts 'nanny' kicks in and slows you down). However when taking it easy (which doesn't happen often) I hardly lean at all. It did take me a couple of hundred miles to really get comfortable with it but now it's now huge fun.

Having ridden a 'normal' trike and a Spyder there's no comparison, the Spyders handling is so much superior.

Spyder Garage

Houndguy,

Check out RS/RSS & the RS/RSS discussion board on this site. Much of the discussion on this site about problem machines relates to RT & at times ST.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Spyder Garage

Yup, Welcome, Hound guy! I consider myself more of an early adopter of this platform. I have 2 of them, both RS models. One is a SM5 (5-speed manual) and a 2010 RSS SE5 Electronic shift. The RSS is the Wife's. She doesn't ride hers near as much as I used to run my Phantom GS. These machines have been fairly good, but they did not prove to be reliable enough to be used in an every day ride scenario. We have been through a lot of little problems and recalls that kind of added up over the years, but they are both still on the road and running well. My Wife's RSS is very nice and smooth, the SE5 tranny shifts spot-on every time and makes it very easy to ride. I, on the other hand, prefer to shift my own gears, so I like the SM5, which is also a very good gear box. The stock suspension is way too soft, though, and produces too much roll through the corners. An after market sway bar helped that situation, but ultimately a suspension change will have to be done to get it sorted. The stock components are pretty inferior. I ended up putting RT shocks and a swaybar on the Phantom and it helped a great deal with cornering stability. There are better suspension solutions out there as well but they are extremely expensive. Ultimately though it might be worth it to make the investment as it will add greatly to how much you enjoy the ride.

Riding one of these things is really different compared to a motocycle. I liken it to snow mobiling on the street! That is the kind of body english one must use to ride these machines effectively. It's a bit more physical in nature than a motorcycle, but it's really fun once you get used to it. Range is definitely a problem. So when you plan to go somewhere, fuel stops have to be figured into the equation, and I would carry extra fuel just in case. Also, not every shop can work on Spyders, so if you break on the road, that can be trouble. Thankfully though we have not been left on the side of the road. Having a good mechanic is pretty vital in that to keep the machines in good shape.

So, would I do it again knowing what I know now? Probably not. And I am just being honest here. Like the other gentleman, I am not trying to be negative or change your mind in any way. I have had a lot of fun on this machine, no doubt. But my motorcycle is 10 times the machine this Spyder is, for far less money. Having said that, there may come a day when I cannot hold up a bike any longer. The Spyder will keep me in the wind, and I will take that! My Wife, however, loves hers and will not give it up. It's safer, stable and she just loves it. So there you go. And one thing is for sure; you picked the right site to come to. The folks here are knowledgeable, friendly and will always provide helpful insight and advice. So good luck in your search and welcome to the party!
    Last edited by Raptor; 02-10-2014 at 03:05 PM.
    "Life must be understood backward. But it must be lived forward."

'09 Phantom GS (#14) (Gone but not forgotten) and 2010 RS-S

Spyder Garage

Default Okay then...!!

if you are not a pro by now your a slow learner...!! but equate it to driving a formula one race car while on horseback..test ryde my friend....good luck..!!
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black