Spyder Garage

Default Oil change feedback

Ron, just some feedback.

I just did my 4500 mile service and oil change this weekend (did it myself )

I have to say that the Amesoil you sent me is great! My top end has never been so quiet!
    Shifting also seems smoother even on my SM5.

I will never use BRP oil again. I have to say about the last 1,000 miles before this service, the top end was getting pretty noisy after long rides. It was clear the oil had gotten thinner. Also start up after it had been sitting a few days was a little loud for the first 1-2 seconds. All that is gone now.

If I was to go back in time I would say with the BRP oil I probably should have done the oil change at about 3,500 miles instead of waiting until 4,500. We will see how it goes now until the next oil change with this. But again, I notice the difference!

Thanks again for another great product. That is your oil change kit (filters, orings, washers) and this great oil!

FYI as a side note. My dealer did not put the washer on the engine drain plug during the $600 mile manditory service! I am suprised I never had an oil leak?

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Bought June 2013 with 450 miles. 27K on 8-1-2017.
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Spyder Garage

Just a warning!! If you "think" no washer was there - be careful! It has been known to stick to the bottom of the engine!! You definitely do not want two washers on there!!
    2015 an Am Spyder RT Limited
    2013 Yamaha WR250R - Sold
    2011 Can Am Spyder RT-S SE5 Limited - Sold
    2011 Aspen Sentry Trailer
    2003 BMW K1200LT - Sold
    2007 Unigo Trailer - Sold
    2001 BMW K1200LT - Sold
    2001 Honda 750 NightHawk - sold
    2015 RT Ltd , Canamspyderaccessories Brake pedal ext. Red

Spyder Garage

Arrow

Amsoil is the only way to transfuse my spyder. Great stuff for sure. Am sure you will be just as impressed with 5K on it.

Identify what you have control over and find peace with what you don't.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bmwlarry View Post
    Just a warning!! If you "think" no washer was there - be careful! It has been known to stick to the bottom of the engine!! You definitely do not want two washers on there!!
    I thought of that and triple checked! No washer!
    When I put the old oil in a container for turn in, it was not in the old oil either.

It just was not there. My dealer must have forgot to put it on or whatever.

Again I am suprised that worked and I did not have an oil leak.

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come

Spyder Garage

Default Have to agree..!!

could be they forgot the crush washer but then you would have some seepage..maybe. But if possible do a visual check to make sure the washer did not stay on the engine side or it came off into the oil..congrats on doing it yourself...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    could be they forgot the crush washer but then you would have some seepage..maybe. But if possible do a visual check to make sure the washer did not stay on the engine side or it came off into the oil..congrats on doing it yourself...
    I guess you didnt read my post a few minutes before yours?
    Maybe you were typing it as I posted mine

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black

Spyder Garage

So Ron.... No comment back?

I am a convert to Amesoil PERIOD! Thanks for offering such a fine product and filter kits!

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black

Spyder Garage

Thanks Ron!

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black

Spyder Garage

Default Congratulations!

Yes! Doing your own maintenance can be fun, rewarding and save you money! And, you'll usually do as good a job of it (or better) than your highly trained professional at the dealership. Not only that but you learn something about your ride, and the familiarity gives you a better understanding of what's going on under all that Tupperware!

I am not surprised that A- Your Engine Oil Drain Plug was missing and B- that there was no leak. A very highly trained professional (which will go unnamed) did my oil change at his house and did the same thing. We did not discover this until over 5,000 miles later when I did the next oil change. Zero oil leakage, not even a film of oil around the drain plug.

Amsoil really is a superior product. I do sell it but I don't make any profit on the Amsoil products. Amsoil isn't the only way to go. But I do feel it is a very good way to go.

There is more to enjoying your Spyder than riding it. You can get a great deal of satisfaction doing your own work whether it's maintenance or Farkeling. It's all good!
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Amsoil is very good Out of curiosity Ron could you PM me the price for a full 2013 SE5 kit. I got miles to go before I change oil but want to weigh my options.
    2013 Mag Silver SE5 RT BahaRon Sway bar & Sway bar links, Grip Puppies, Kuryakyn Helmet locks , Ultimate Seat w/Utopia Backrest, Dash power outlet, Spyderpops BumpSkid, Swagman Cup holders, Full size Brake Pedal, Seal DLX Floorboards, Freeway Blaster horns, Sylvania Super Bright fender LEDs, Scotchlite 680 Rear & Fender Reflectors, BRP Fog Light Kit, LED Mirror turn signal strips, 2014 RT grille mod. Outlaw Laser Alignment

Spyder Garage

Default AMSOIL

There is nothing to weigh. Clearly superior oil. I have found none better! We buy it by the case, keeping our fleet of 5 bikes in full synthetic oil. After tear down, we find no significant wear. I credit AMSOIL. As Ron said, learning to maintain your bike helps you keep tabs on what is going on. Saving money is nice, too! Remember, nobody cares for your stuff like you do! JMHO,
    joe
    Joe Meyer

Dealer for the Outlaw/ROLO laser Alignment system

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Oil change kit

How to I order an oil change kit for my 2010 Spyder RT, manual?

Debbie

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by debbieogden55 View Post

Debbie
    Just send Ron a private message here http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/p...do=newpm&u=963 Tell him what you want and you can pay with paypal. He'll get it sent out to you. Pretty easy!

Current: 2018 F3 Limited
    Previous: 2011 RT with 622 Trailer

Mods:
    F4 Customs 25" Windshield
    F4 Customs Air Wings
    Spyderpops Top Case/Seat Extender
    TackForm Phone Mount
    Lamonster Ram Ball Handlebar Mount
    Show Chrome Passenger Armrests

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by debbieogden55 View Post

Debbie
    Sorry for the late reply. You can always get me at fyredad@hotmail.com

Email is the best way to communicate because that way I have a searchable record. You can also PM me here at Spyderlovers but I prefer the email.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...