Spyder Garage

Default 2014 Test riding came to an end.

Ok as some of you guys read awhile back, I got to test ride a 2014 and I had put up my first impressions, Well now I'm done and these are my feelings overall what I now think. Let's start with the mechanics of the machine, I do like the 3 cylinder engine very smooth but very powerful, lots of torque. The 6 speed transmission.......Loved it very smooth, hardly know it goes into gear. I also liked the milage I was getting with the eco button (31-35 mpg) VERY NICE. The new cooling system seemed to work very well, didn't notice hardly any heat, but then again I was riding in cooler weather but it seem very nice. The DPS on this one seemed VERY easy compared to my 2010 RTS. I did like the shocks that were on the bike, they really helped even out the little bumps along the road.

Now comes the downside of my testing.....remember this all that I didn't like are pretty much all cosmetic things that can be changed in the secondary market. 1st off the front fenders, I like the smooth fenders and not the center raised ones they have on now. (just looks out of place) 2nd the floorboards.....they were EXTREMELY uncomfortable I could never get my legs adjusted right, I probably had to get off the bike more often it feels because of the floorboards, and where the brake pedal was placed it seemed more difficult to hit the brake. 3rd and what I feel is one of my biggest problems.......The Seat. Wow it was at time severely painful to ride, one thing because it had no backrest and that would have helped greatly.

So I would have to say this, if I were going to buy one on just the mechanics of the machine, I would to it in an instant, but taking into consideration that there would have to be many cosmetic changes I would need to do.....hmmmmm......I would say I would have to really think long and hard about it. Does this mean I wouldn't buy a new one certainly not, I will be watching as much data about the 2014 and beyond to see when my next one will be bought. So until then I am thankful for my 2010 RT-S SE5 Timeless Black.

Spyder Garage

I also have concerns about the drivers floor boards and I found the brake peddle a little awkward as well . I will give it awhile and see, might have to switch back to pegs .As for the seat I will go with the heated Corbin.
    Happy Owner

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

For the record; what are your height and inseam measurements?
    I ask just to see if it might be something in how you're built, that caused the comfort issues for you...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default seat

Quote Originally Posted by fastfraser View Post
    I also have concerns about the drivers floor boards and I found the brake peddle a little awkward as well . I will give it awhile and see, might have to switch back to pegs .As for the seat I will go with the heated Corbin.
    I don't know what kind of seat I will end up with on mine. I would hate to spend the money and get something that's not going to be comfortable for me.

Spyder Garage

Thanks for posting your observations. You did a three week test? How many miles did you log?
    2015 Intense Red Pearl RTS SE6 - Laser Alignment by Precisyon Trac, Tri-Axis handle bars, ? to be determined.

2014 XLR Viper 305V14 Toyhauler (Home)
    2015 Ram 3500HD Crew Cab

Former Spyders
    2010 Blue RT A&C SE5 53K plus miles - never left us stranded!
    2013 Pure Magnesium Metallic ST SE5 11K plus miles - never left us stranded!

Spyder Garage

Default comfort issues

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    I ask just to see if it might be something in how you're built, that caused the comfort issues for you...
    good question 5' 8" 32 inseam. I just know that I do have to have a backrest ( A must) but I'm sure I could have a seat built.

Spyder Garage

Default Milage

Quote Originally Posted by spyderbirds View Post
    Thanks for posting your observations. You did a three week test? How many miles did you log?
    1st week 450 miles 2nd week 385 miles 3rd week 486 miles. They wanted me to do a 6 week trial but I knew I couldn't have handled that long

Spyder Garage

Default Great..!!

thanks for that final overview on your extended test ryde. Good to know you found all the mechanics to be good and that if there is something askew it was a amendable cosmetic. Hope you enjoyed this adventure. Thanks..!!
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

I agree that the seat needs a backrest,although we find it much more comfortable then previous stock seats,the floorboards take a little getting used to as does the brake(my RS had Seals on it and I use my heal to brake)but after riding it a few weeks,we are ok with these items,Sofia has been able to ryde longer without taking a break then she could on her 2011RTS.These are YMMV items that are different for every driver,I just wish the backrest was not $600. but all in all this is a Great improvement from BRP
    2015 RT White,Tj's Dash mount,Rivco's Duel Flag Holder,SealsFloorBoards(Pups),Custom Dynamics fender lights(R/W)Bajaron's Swaybar & links,Lamonster's LED headlights,lidlox.Wiredux A-arm driving lights(upper&lower)FOBO TPMS system,Spyerpops lighted bumpskid,Foom handgrips.
    tobor9@me.com

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Bob, I am 5' 7" with a 29" inseam. I find my 2014 Spyder is the most comfortable of any of my last 4 bikes that I have owned during the last 8 1/2 years. I think people with longer legs may need to get the seat that gives them another 2" of room.
    Baja Ron Anti-sway bar
    Spyder Pop's skid plate

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I am on week four of my test and the shocks are great. I can take a speed bump @ 28 miles per hour compared to 21 on my 2012 without sending my passenger flying (don't ask how I know).

I too do not like the fenders, but have noticed on the basic model they have the smooth fenders, and if I was to buy one would change if I could color match it. Not because I think it is unbearable ugly, but because I ride to work in the early morning and like my LED stripe down the middle for safety.

I however love the floorboards. Took a short time to get used to the brake pedal being different, but now have no issues with them. For me the floorboards make a much better ride. The longest I have gone was 553 round trip in two days, and only had one issue on the second day with my legs being uncomfortable.

Goes to show how seats are different for different people, I love the new seat, Ann says they are too soft for her, and you hate the seat. I do agree it would have been nice if they gave us a bike with backrests, but they didn't.
    Is it Friday yet? ... Oh yeah, I forgot. I'm retired

Past bikes
    2010 RS - Sold
    2012 RT - Sold
    2014 RT - Testing completed
    2016 F3-T Audio package - Sold

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I just hit 4 weeks on my test and I've put 4,000 miles on it so far. For me the biggest adjustment was the SE as I have always had a manual. I too had a problem at first with the brake pedal, as you have to lift your foot to hit it, I think it is because of the floorboards but now that I'm used to it it isn't a big deal. (5'10" 34" inseam) I'm not a huge fan of the floorboards but I don't really care as I have ordered a manual and they don't come with them anyway. You can't move your feet very far with these floorboards

I like the new fenders, I had them on the 2013, and I swap the reflectors out for lights and turn signals. My test Spyder is a Limited and I don't care for the chrome but that said I'm not real sure how I feel about the brushed chrome on the RTS.

I agree that a backrest is a must especially for long trips and I plan to get one for my Spyder. I did a 2,200 mile trip and the seat was okay but not great. Seems a little too soft for a long days ride.

Love that it takes less time for the computers to boot up and you can also turn the Spyder off for longer before it needs to totally reboot. The fuel range is awesome. We rode to Death Valley today and I was able to skip 2 gas stops that the others needed to make.

Two more weeks for the test and hopefully by that time my own Spyder will be at my dealer
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Thank you for posting your impressions about the new 2014.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Default Regarding the Seat

There's one seat company that has a trial period where you can decide if you like their seat or not and can send it back. Ultimate Seats is that company and they have models with an adjustable backrest. That would give you a chance to try-out one of their seats as opposed to being stuck with one from another brand. There are aftermarket floorboards and bigger brake pedals as well as the handbrake and highway pegs etc. to make your "ryde" more comfortable.

Spyder Garage

Default seat

Quote Originally Posted by den1953 View Post
    There's one seat company that has a trial period where you can decide if you like their seat or not and can send it back. Ultimate Seats is that company and they have models with an adjustable backrest. That would give you a chance to try-out one of their seats as opposed to being stuck with one from another brand. There are aftermarket floorboards and bigger brake pedals as well as the handbrake and highway pegs etc. to make your "ryde" more comfortable.
    Yes I've seen the seats at ultimate seats with the 14 day trial, to me that means I would have 4 days of ryding to decide if I like it, right now that doesn't seem like enough time to decide on a big purchase like that, But I know that is an option. As for the floorboards well I just don't think they are for me even though I did see some at diamond R that I might think real hard about. The bigger brake pedal I don't think I want I like the one I got, but I am looking into the handbrake I think that would be nice, and then highway pegs well I have lamonsters NBV highway pegs on my Ryde but they don't work for me (I think I am going to take them off and sell them) just no room to stretch out.

Spyder Garage

Thanks for posting your impressions.
    2014 RT-Ltd , Cognac