Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Rock through drive belt

We as my luck continues down the road to self destruction I just noticed I had a small gravel through my drive belt. It must of been thrown onto the belt and pushed through by the pulley. I had to use a set of pliers to pull it out. I just got it back from the shop after power steering problems and now here I go again. It is not the Spyders fault it is just my luck, has anyone changed a belt yet and is it safe to ride with a pencil size hole in the belt? I had a full week of riding planned next week. I am working close to Gatlinburg Tn and thought I would ride every evening after work. Oh well life goes on.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Rock in drive belt

I had the same problem so hold on to you wallet - mine cost $475.00 Plus tax for a new belt installed.
    5280Spyderman
    (Denver CO)

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Holy cow, that is going to hurt. That just tops off my wifes car blowing engine this week and heat pump on the house quiting. When it rains it pours and the way things are going I need to build me an ark.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cisaacs View Post
    Holy cow, that is going to hurt. That just tops off my wifes car blowing engine this week and heat pump on the house quiting. When it rains it pours and the way things are going I need to build me an ark.
    I'm having a sale on locust repellent this week.

I'm under the impression that the belt itself is about $275 MSRP. The rest must be labor?

Last edited by ataDude; 08-01-2008 at 09:29 PM.
    ata = allergic to asphalt

My mods: https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...ead.php?t=5753
    There are two kinds of people: (1) those who can read, reason and apply the experiences of others; and (2) those who just have to pee on the electric fence. ataDude, 2009

My Spyder:

Ride Forrest Ride!
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 5280 spyderman View Post
    I had the same problem so hold on to you wallet - mine cost $475.00 Plus tax for a new belt installed.
    5280Spyderman
    (Denver CO)
    I was under the impression that the belt is covered on the 2 year warranty.
    Am I a DUH again??

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Fine print in warranty has belt as a normal wear item and not covered unless damage is due to failure of a covered part. If the drive pulley fails and ruins the belt, that's covered.

Spyder Garage

Sorry to hear of your woes.

A friend of mine that rides a Buell has noticed a rock hole in the belt on his Buell. He's been riding it quite a bit with that hole. Not sure the hole is as big as the one you describe on yours, though. I would call the dealer, and see what they say.
    - Greg

2013 RT-S Circuit Yellow Metallic

Previously owned...

2008 Spyder GS (Full Moon) 32,800 miles
    2011 Spyder RS-S (Magnesium/Black) 31,230 miles

Spyder Garage

If that happened to me, I would consider riding until it broke or until I saw it was very close to breaking. It may last another 50,000 miles with that hole. I would just keep a close eye on it.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Thats one of my fears of getting a stone in the belt. Maybe I'm just spoiled with having a shaft drive for so many years. Sure would hate to have it break at a most inappropriate time, Like at night and or a hundred miles from nowhere. Plus with the limited dealers we have now.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I had a rock embedded in the belt while traveling in Alaska. It dimpled the outside of the belt but had not gone all the way through the belt. The CAN-AM dealer in Fairbanks worked the stone back out with a pair of channel-locks and a flat washer over the teeth. There were no visible broken reinforcing. I have ridden over a 1,000 miles without any further deterioration. Have over 6,300 miles on this trip. The rear tire is down to the wear bars at 11,800 miles. Front tires are doing fine.