Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Laser Alignment reply from my dealer

The procedure using builders levels and lazers is outlined in a recent service bulletin from BRP so I just sent one of our guys to purchase the tools and we値l have it ready to go this week. As soon as we know it works we can do yours. As for warranty coverage on the job, it might depend on how far out it is and if this is a manufacturers defect then we can push them on it. We値l give it a try!

Seems like the Outlaw system does the same job but costs about $1400.00 more!!

This was from my dealer. What do you think?

Spyder Garage

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Ride Master View Post
    The procedure using builders levels and lazers is outlined in a recent service bulletin from BRP so I just sent one of our guys to purchase the tools and we値l have it ready to go this week. As soon as we know it works we can do yours. As for warranty coverage on the job, it might depend on how far out it is and if this is a manufacturers defect then we can push them on it. We値l give it a try!

Would love to read the service bulletin.

Identify what you have control over and find peace with what you don't.

Spyder Garage

The procedure using builders levels and lazers is outlined in a recent service bulletin from BRP so I just sent one of our guys to purchase the tools and we’ll have it ready to go this week. As soon as we know it works we can do yours. As for warranty coverage on the job, it might depend on how far out it is and if this is a manufacturers defect then we can push them on it. We’ll give it a try!

Then that means they are paying $100 FOR IT? They are buying a system that is going to be challenged in patent court then. And they will lose.
    http://www.spydercomfort.com/pirate.htm You can pass that link to the dealer.
    2013 Mag Silver SE5 RT BahaRon Sway bar & Sway bar links, Grip Puppies, Kuryakyn Helmet locks , Ultimate Seat w/Utopia Backrest, Dash power outlet, Spyderpops BumpSkid, Swagman Cup holders, Full size Brake Pedal, Seal DLX Floorboards, Freeway Blaster horns, Sylvania Super Bright fender LEDs, Scotchlite 680 Rear & Fender Reflectors, BRP Fog Light Kit, LED Mirror turn signal strips, 2014 RT grille mod. Outlaw Laser Alignment

Spyder Garage

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by Magdave View Post
    Then that means they are paying $100 FOR IT? They are buying a system that is going to be challenged in patent court then. And they will lose.
    http://www.spydercomfort.com/pirate.htm You can pass that link to the dealer.
    Sounds like they are shopping at Lowes and building their own mouse trap from a shopping list

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Seems a bit technologically inferior. Not sure about the patent though. The 2 lasers and the level are already patented I would presume.

I'll see if I can get the bulletin

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default PATENT INFRINGEMENT ? ? ?

[QUOTE=Magdave;750310]Then that means they are paying $100 FOR IT? They are buying a system that is going to be challenged in patent court then. And they will lose.
    http://www.spydercomfort.com/pirate.htm You can pass that link to the dealer.[/QUOT I think for this to occur the dealer would have to be SELLING them ......and they would have to be very ,very similar to OUTLAW has on the Market JMHO.......Mike

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Cool Wonder What QA standards

Wonder what sort of QA standard they will use and how they maintain a "known datum point?" Sounds like another Rube Goldberg engineer idea...

Spyder Garage

On the one hand you have the mouse trap (as pointed out by Jerbear) and on the other hand you have the for real laser system (by Rollo/Outlaw). I'm not sure what point was being made by pointing out that The Rollo system cost more; the higher price doesn't affect me. I would be more concerned as to the accuracy of both.

I had my spyder laser aligned with the non mouse trap/non mickey mouse type and have been quite happy. I also got to meet stormin Norman and you can't beat that.

In any case, thanks for posting what you've found out.

Spyder Garage

This same argument plays out on many a forum always over something that someone thinks they are the first at.

If you stick a laser level on a Spyder will you go to jail? Will you pay a fine? Will you end up in court? No.

Were we duped on this site to think that the only people in the entire world allowed to put a laser level on a Spyder were Rolo dealers? Not my place to say, maybe said better on the other Spyder forums.

Alignments are an issue apparently on the Spyders. On every car in the world people use lasers to align them, why would a motorcycle be different? Just wondering how we associate the term "laser" w a Rolo alignment? Everyone uses lasers to align vehicles. Now if you use maybe a specific "process" or use "particular" attachment pieces maybe a patent could interfere w that?

But if a dealer walks down to Home Depot, buys a couple lasers, sticks them on the rotors. And throws some laser lines, does the math and makes an almost perfect alignment for someone, how does that defy anyone's patent? How does that interfere w anyone's business? If an alignment isn't available somewhere why wouldn't a dealer do what they can to please their customers?

I have no one within 400 miles doing alignments, if a dealer decided to do their own set up around here I would gladly pay to have my alignment set closer.

And no one can make it perfect, things change, tire wear, road hazards, etc. etc, but I'm sure a dealer can figure how to make it much better just like the next guy.

hearing all the hype on this forum is one thing, but not everyone can drive 600 miles to have this done so who cares who does it? If it helps someone out who cares if a dealer gives it a shot? Stop playing up the hype and let others enjoy a good alignment wherever they can get it!

Sheesh.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jerbear View Post
    Sounds like they are shopping at Lowes and building their own mouse trap from a shopping list

Youre assuming the dealer is just stupid and grabbing the first thing they come across. A little research and any dealer will find very accurate laser levels at such places as Graingers, and actually the one that Rolo is using is available there it just looks like they put their own stickers on it.

Spyder Garage

My .02 cents worth

I know less about lasers and alignments than i know about Battery Tenders ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, so i am outta here.

Cruzr Joe

( Snoopy: I don't have a dog in this fight)
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Spyder Garage

The factory method is not as precise, does not align both front and rear wheels, and takes several times longer (and costs the customer several times more) than the Outlaw (ROLO) system. It also does not aligh the Spyder sitting on the ground in a normal stance, since it requires removal of the front wheels (and the shocks for 2013 & newer). It may be in the dealer's favor, but it is not in yours.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Cruzr Joe View Post
    My .02 cents worth

I know less about lasers and alignments than i know about Battery Tenders ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, so i am outta here.

Cruzr Joe

( Snoopy: I don't have a dog in this fight)

I dont either I was just ranting. Lol

Just sorta tired of hearing of some perfect way to do something, heard that before over and over on other forums.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SNOOPY View Post
    I dont either I was just ranting. Lol

Just sorta tired of hearing of some perfect way to do something, heard that before over and over on other forums.

If i want to see perfection .................. I look in the mirror ........ and over my shoulder...................... and hope some beautiful women is behind me so i can see perfection.

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Spyder Garage

Talking

QUOTE=SNOOPY;750434]Youre assuming the dealer is just stupid and grabbing the first thing they come across. A little research and any dealer will find very accurate laser levels at such places as Graingers, and actually the one that Rolo is using is available there it just looks like they put their own stickers on it.[/QUOTE]

You're assuming I'm asumming something that never crossed my mind. The word stupid is not in my vocabulary. Reread my post but this time read what it says. Not what you think it says.

Spyder Garage

I guess I'm too stupid to understand what you meant.

Thats why I hate this computer thingy sometimes. Lol

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I'm thinking the dealer referenced in post #1 got a Service Bulletin from BRP that specified the BRP alignment process and the tools/equipment needed to do the alignment. They are going to purchase the necessary tools/equipment and offered the service to the OP once they have determined if it works. Even offered to work with BRP to have alignment covered by the warranty if the alignment was off enough.

Didn't see any reference to the ROLO system/process other than the cost. Sounds to me as if the dealer is gearing up to give the BRP alignment process a go...simple as that.
    2016 F3-L Special Series? Mods: Lamonster IPS end caps w/ Gripper 3rd pegs, GPS mount, Power Plate, Perf. Muffler; Backoff Brake Light Strobe; CD Front (amber/red) Brightsides & Tip Kit; ISCI Flag Holder w/Long Poles; BRP Signature Light, Aux Lights, Saddlebag Liners, Garmin 590 GPS; TricLED foam Grips, LEDs (Aux/headlights); Pitbull Driving Lights; RDL seat; Ultimate backrest

Previous ryde: 2012 RT-L, 26,636 miles on it when traded; 2014 RT-L, 34,147 miles on it when traded

Spyder Garage

Default BINGO

Quote Originally Posted by SpyRyd View Post
    I'm thinking the dealer referenced in post #1 got a Service Bulletin from BRP that specified the BRP alignment process and the tools/equipment needed to do the alignment. They are going to purchase the necessary tools/equipment and offered the service to the OP once they have determined if it works. Even offered to work with BRP to have alignment covered by the warranty if the alignment was off enough.

Didn't see any reference to the ROLO system/process other than the cost. Sounds to me as if the dealer is gearing up to give the BRP alignment process a go...simple as that.

Spyder Garage

I just know the Rolo Outlaw system works. We had alignment issues. Rolo fixed it. Done is good. Patent law is complex, but the fact the government issued a patent says this is the real deal, no bs, straight up. I also know that the fines are severe if you copy.
    Joe Meyer

Dealer for the Outlaw/ROLO laser Alignment system