Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default BRP issues Campaign to address heat issue for 2013 models!!!

I just got back from the dealership and they have informed me that BRP Campaign#'s 2013-0015 and 2013-0016 are in. It is a 3-part campaign:

A) Seal the front fuse boxes

B) Update ECM Software

C) Replace upper belt guard retaining screws

It is "B" which addresses the problem termed as "Heat Soak" by BRP. It is a B.U.D.S. update. Attached is my copy of the campaign notice which includes more specific details. I cannot attest to how effective this fix is, as I have not had it done on the '13 ST-L yet (as I was at the shop about my '08 GS)...but I did set a date to have it done. I will provide an update once the work has been completed. In the meantime, if you own a 2013 model year Spyder...call your dealer to schedule your appointment, as i'm sure there will be quite a few bikes wanting to get this done all at once...similar to the heat shield campaign from last year.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Spyder Tony View Post
    I just got back from the dealership and they have informed me that BRP Campaign#'s 2013-0015 and 2013-0016 are in. It is a 3-part campaign:A) Seal the front fuse boxesB) Update ECM SoftwareC) Replace upper belt guard retaining screwsIt is "B" which addresses the problem termed as "Heat Soak" by BRP. It is a B.U.D.S. update. Attached is my copy of the campaign notice which includes more specific details. I cannot attest to how effective this fix is, as I have not had it done on the '13 ST-L yet (as I was at the shop about my '08 GS)...but I did set a date to have it done. I will provide an update once the work has been completed. In the meantime, if you own a 2013 model year Spyder...call your dealer to schedule your appointment, as i'm sure there will be quite a few bikes wanting to get this done all at once...similar to the heat shield campaign from last year.
    Don't see that the three items address the actual heat. Will only keep the overheat warning from coming on and sets a higher perameter for that to happen???????

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jaherbst View Post
    Don't see that the three items address the actual heat. Will only keep the overheat warning from coming on and sets a higher perameter for that to happen???????
    I don't want to reinvent the wheel, so check out this thread to see those who have done the campaign and their claims of a cooler running Spyder. CARB states are a factor though:

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...ulletin-2013-9

Spyder Garage

The last sentence in item 2 talks about the rider feeling excessive heat. That is the problem with some 2013 models? It sounds like an attempt to fix that as well as correcting an erroneous hot code when the engine is cold. Sounds like progress to me.

2011 RT-S SE5, Acumen Tempest Cat-1 Alarm, SmoothSpyder Belt Tensioner,
    Autocom Super Pro Auto, Garmin Zumo 550 BT, 10amp Socket, Front Fender LED's,
    Grip Puppies, Spyderpop Belt Guard, Nautilus Horn, Shortee Antenna, BajaRon's Swaybar,
    Cree LED Day Running Lights.

Spyder Garage

I don't like the part about sealing the fuse boxes, this looks like the frunk needs to come off to do this and this interferes w how I have some things wired and will probably have to go behind dealer to recheck my wiring when they finish. Pain in the butt.

Registered Users 3 Wheel Addict's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

If this a CARB issue then it has something to do with the tuning and mixture of the engine, maybe they found out that the 13,s are running too lean. Clearly something changed from 12 to 13? I think they are coating the connections on the back of the fuse boxes because they have had some water issues as well.
    Sold my 14 RTS went back to 2 wheels.
    2014 Kawasaki Vaquero SE

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 3 Wheel Addict View Post
    If this a CARB issue then it has something to do with the tuning and mixture of the engine, maybe they found out that the 13,s are running too lean. Clearly something changed from 12 to 13? I think they are coating the connections on the back of the fuse boxes because they have had some water issues as well.
    Is the layout/ location of the motor, gas tank, pipes, and other internal components different in a 2013 than 2012? If they are different, it could play a partial role in some of the issues.

2015 F3-S SE6, Pure Magnesium Metallic
    12V Power Outlet
    Battery Tender Pigtail
    Blue Ridge Windshield

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The new frame DID end up moving some components around...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default Vindicated

I hate when dealer blames owner first. This bulletin proves there was a problem with seals on fuse boxes and I was not to blame when washing the bike. I hope this truly solves the problem.

Ride safe!
    2022 Sea-T0-Sky

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Unfortunately; they've got to look at all of the possibilities when confronted with something that is still unclear...
    But; you certainly WERE vindicated!!!!

Spyder Garage

I see the key words as "May Slightly?"

2015 F3 sm6, Custom Dynamics fender lights.

Sea Doo GTI-SE 90 Jet Ski!!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by taxmyzer View Post
    I hate when dealer blames owner first. This bulletin proves there was a problem with seals on fuse boxes and I was not to blame when washing the bike. I hope this truly solves the problem.
    That's right you had issues with water shorting something out and the dealer said it was because you washed the bike. I thought I remembered there was somebody with an issue about water in a connector or something.
    2014 Kawasaki Vaquero SE

Spyder Garage

Will be waiting and watching to see if the heat issue fix (the ECM fix) helps in the problems that some are having.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge707 View Post
    I see the key words as "May Slightly?"
    Exactly what does that mean?????? Does not sound promising at all. There go my hopes. Why don't they put a city/traffic switch on the damn fan so we can run it when not on the highway? Or how about setting the parameters lower on the ECM so the fan comes on at a lower setting. It may also be a temperature control switch. Change it! This I know would help!Install a second fan (smaller) to keep airflow moving front to back under the tupper ware and around the tank. Constant or controlled by ECM to come on at lower speeds and when stopped with the engine running. Too much heat in one area is simply a matter of airflow. Come on BRP this cannot be all that difficult to solve.

Spyder Garage

Exactly what does that mean?????? Does not sound promising at all. There go my hopes. Why don't they put a city/traffic switch on the damn fan so we can run it when not on the highway? Or how about setting the parameters lower on the ECM so the fan comes on at a lower setting. It may also be a temperature control switch. Change it! This I know would help!Install a second fan (smaller) to keep airflow moving front to back under the tupper ware and around the tank. Constant or controlled by ECM to come on at lower speeds and when stopped with the engine running. Too much heat in one area is simply a matter of airflow. Come on BRP this cannot be all that difficult to solve.
    But the fan really isn't the problem. That's a nuisance. The problem is gas boiling in tanks for some people and the seat so hot you can't sit on it. THAT is what BRP should fix.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NetJunkie View Post
    But the fan really isn't the problem. That's a nuisance. The problem is gas boiling in tanks for some people and the seat so hot you can't sit on it. THAT is what BRP should fix.
    Maybe this "tune" that they are going to install does indeed reduce some extra exhaust temps. The engine temp is controlled by a thermostat so that temp is what it is, but since most of that heat is displaced by the radiator then the only source left of our "extra" heat is the radiating heat from the exhaust/engine if they can reduce that by even 10 or 20 degrees it would make a noticeable difference, that alone with everybody "additional fixes" (wrapping pipes, extra insulation, extra vents) could prove to be the cure or at least some relief??
    2014 Kawasaki Vaquero SE

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Face it folks...
    This is probably going to be a long and arduous journey...
    It will take more than one approach; to more than one system...
    But BRP will figure it out!

Spyder Garage

Default Feedback on new ECM mapping

Picked up Louise new RT-S on Sat. She got a chance to put a few miles on it yesterday. It has the new ECM mapping released Friday. Upon parking in our garage last night and closing the doors.....about 10 minutes later went back out to the garage and was overwhelmed with gas fumes. Had to open garage doors and air out for an hour or so.

In the two weeks since I fixed mine, had gotten into the habit of not leaving the garage open any more. Was no longer any need. So much for that. Until she gets past 600 miles and the first checkup, I will not do any mods other than CanAm accessories she ordered.

But its obvious that while the new mapping may help, IT DOES NOT CURE THE FUEL BOILING and FUME ISSUE.

I still plan on getting the update on mine as soon as the fuse box parts are available and they can do the whole bulletin at once.

Keep working on it BRP. you are not there yet.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
    Picked up Louise new RT-S on Sat. She got a chance to put a few miles on it yesterday. It has the new ECM mapping released Friday. Upon parking in our garage last night and closing the doors.....about 10 minutes later went back out to the garage and was overwhelmed with gas fumes. Had to open garage doors and air out for an hour or so.In the two weeks since I fixed mine, had gotten into the habit of not leaving the garage open any more. Was no longer any need. So much for that. Until she gets past 600 miles and the first checkup, I will not do any mods other than CanAm accessories she ordered.But its obvious that while the new mapping may help, IT DOES NOT CURE THE FUEL BOILING and FUME ISSUE.I still plan on getting the update on mine as soon as the fuse box parts are available and they can do the whole bulletin at once.Keep working on it BRP. you are not there yet.
    Just as I previously stated. We need more airflow under the tupperware flowing front to back. How about a fan Brp.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NetJunkie View Post
    The extra fan (small) would go under the tupperware to move air front to back when stopped or slowed in city traffic. Thus replacing heated air with ambient air under the tupperware. (under the plastic, around the engine and tank)

Spyder Garage

Picked up Louise new RT-S on Sat. She got a chance to put a few miles on it yesterday. It has the new ECM mapping released Friday. Upon parking in our garage last night and closing the doors.....about 10 minutes later went back out to the garage and was overwhelmed with gas fumes. Had to open garage doors and air out for an hour or so.

In the two weeks since I fixed mine, had gotten into the habit of not leaving the garage open any more. Was no longer any need. So much for that. Until she gets past 600 miles and the first checkup, I will not do any mods other than CanAm accessories she ordered.

But its obvious that while the new mapping may help, IT DOES NOT CURE THE FUEL BOILING and FUME ISSUE.

I still plan on getting the update on mine as soon as the fuse box parts are available and they can do the whole bulletin at once.

Afraid of that, small fix for part of it but clearly not a cure. I keep telling myself... baby steps but we will get there! Mine has had issues with the hot temp stumbling on acceleration so if it cures that i'll be happy for that one!!
    2014 Kawasaki Vaquero SE

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Face it folks...
    This is probably going to be a long and arduous journey...
    It will take more than one approach; to more than one system...
    But BRP will figure it out!

Just cannot figure out if you just an optimist or a tried and true BRP Cheerleader Bob?

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by unclejay View Post
    I have developed a theory that lean mixture is about 80 percent of the problem. Which means that a ECU flash could go a long way to correct that.

I am basing this on my own 13 RT Limited which does not have heat problems even in 105 degree weather while in traffic. No gas boiling, no melting of the brake manifold, no excesive heat through the seat. The tupperware, gas filler, and seat get WARM to the touch but not pink-burn hot. If I dont wear boots my right foot gets uncomfortably hot, but thats the same on other bikes and i wear boots always. (There is a 15 inch wheel rolling right in front of my foot)

When I say 'not excessive heat' I mean, no worse than any other big twin in hot weather. My 2012 Harley Ultra will fry your leg pink if you ride in shorts, and the heat rolls up from under the gas tank VISIBLY its brutal. 105 ambient + 100 thermal = rolling pink thunder thighs.

The reaosn I think my mixture is richer than normal (therefore the engine is cooler) is that my gas mileage sucks, there is a fair amount of black soot on the exhaust openings, and it 'behaves' like a rich engine - just based on my experience. Example, in cold weather, it starts right up and runs like warm, whereas lean-burners tend to pop and stumble in cold weather. Also the pipes have no bluing or discoloration. The oil has a LOT of carbon in it. Also no popping on deceleration = rich mixture.

My 2 cents

Also, its white. White ones run cooler.
    what is your mpg--I agree with your thoughts-my 2013rt has the same mo--blue ones run COOL to

...in the pink (Girls On Spyders) flamingobabe's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I will agree 100%...but mine has been running lean...white chalky plugs....mpg...I'll get 19 to 36...just depending....can't trust it....looking forward to the ECM flash...2013-9...but BRP has to follow government regulations....so we will see

Quote Originally Posted by unclejay View Post
    I have developed a theory that lean mixture is about 80 percent of the problem. Which means that a ECU flash could go a long way to correct that.

I am basing this on my own 13 RT Limited which does not have heat problems even in 105 degree weather while in traffic. No gas boiling, no melting of the brake manifold, no excesive heat through the seat. The tupperware, gas filler, and seat get WARM to the touch but not pink-burn hot. If I dont wear boots my right foot gets uncomfortably hot, but thats the same on other bikes and i wear boots always. (There is a 15 inch wheel rolling right in front of my foot)

When I say 'not excessive heat' I mean, no worse than any other big twin in hot weather. My 2012 Harley Ultra will fry your leg pink if you ride in shorts, and the heat rolls up from under the gas tank VISIBLY its brutal. 105 ambient + 100 thermal = rolling pink thunder thighs.

The reaosn I think my mixture is richer than normal (therefore the engine is cooler) is that my gas mileage sucks, there is a fair amount of black soot on the exhaust openings, and it 'behaves' like a rich engine - just based on my experience. Example, in cold weather, it starts right up and runs like warm, whereas lean-burners tend to pop and stumble in cold weather. Also the pipes have no bluing or discoloration. The oil has a LOT of carbon in it. Also no popping on deceleration = rich mixture.

My 2 cents

Also, its white. White ones run cooler.
    Last edited by flamingobabe; 01-27-2014 at 01:51 PM.

#IamARyder #RideASpyder #CanAmSpyder

...in the pink (Girls On Spyders) flamingobabe's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

we'll see what happens with the new flash...but if y'all got and still problems...keep me in touch...congrats to Louise....hope to ride with y'all when they finish my bike....will go to shop after BRP calls me back...hopefully today

#IamARyder #RideASpyder #CanAmSpyder