Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Why don't dealers have Laser Alignment Equipment?

My Dealer Mission Motor Sports in Irvine, CA says they can't afford the cost of the Laser Alignment Equipment.

How much does the equipment cost and, why wouldn't BRP require their dealers to have this equipment?

Leaves me with 2 choices, drive a long way to a dealer that has the equipment or rely on one of the traveling shows for alignment.
    Both choices make any warrantee issues complicated.

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I believe the cost is around $1500.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The expense can be tough on a dealership, if they don't have the market to support that expenditure...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

If 1500.00 is too much of an expense for an add on service and a worthy one, I'd have to question that dealers viability. (unless they sell 3 bikes a year)
    Rewaco RF-1 GT

Inline 4 cylinder Ford Zetec with multi-port fuel inject, 140 HP
    0-60mph: 5.8 seconds
    5 speed sync manual with reverse, mechanical dry clutch.
    Front suspension: Trapezoidal fork with center spring
    Rear suspension: Independent with Bilstein gas shock absorbers
    Brake System: Grimeca calipers, linked ventilated discs, with booster
    10.57 gallons

Spyder Garage

Default Here's the thing..!!

many dealers will want to get reimbersed for this and if brp does not accept it it will cost the dealer thus making it expensive. Don't know if brp has accepted the laser alignment yet once they do dealers will be required to use this method. Jmo although many are off they have been rolling well and there is no critical need to have it done. You will have opportunities...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

It is my observation and opinion that there may be many dealers that although they have the $$$ to afford, they have personnel albiet the mechanic (I guess they call them the service tech these days) or the head of the service department that think this process, i.e., the laser alignment, is voodoo or crack pot engineering. I've seen a reluctance on the part of techs to get on the band wagon and accept the fact that it truly works.

Because of this attitude, there is a resistance to purchase. It's kinda like when the spyder first came out, there were many service techs who did not like to work on the spyder (this new funny contraption that BRP had come up with) and thusly there was resistance to really learn how to fix it. IMHO.

Chris
    Last edited by MouthPiece; 01-21-2014 at 02:10 PM.

Spyder Garage

At my dealer the macanic has his own unit. When I had a problem with tire wear he brought his own unit In to do the job. My question is why is there a problem with a lot of Spyders that need to be alined. My Spyder had a problem from BRP plant. Go figure! Bob

Spyder Garage

Because BRP does not align the Spyders prior to shipment. Well, not properly. It really needs to be done after the bike is assembled by the dealer as part of dealer prep.

Dealers don't want to do anything new....The Ducati's and Yamahas never needed alignments.....

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Default Spyder Factory alignment

I think aligning Spyders that have been on the road awhile is a good thing. It results in better handling and better tire wear. However, having to align a brand new Spyder is just wrong. They should be properly aligned at the factory, period.

I know I'll get whipped for this, but I'm telling the truth.

Spyder Garage

Lightbulb A possible reason

Some authorized dealers who would like to offer ROLO alignment are aware of the fact they are under contract with BRP to offer only BRP authorized repairs. Working outside of said agreement leaves them wide open for BRP to react in a non positive way 'should' something go wrong. For those dealers, unless or until they get a green light from BRP they'll likely offer all kinds of excuses why they don't offer the service. jmo

Identify what you have control over and find peace with what you don't.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

"I think aligning Spyders that have been on the road awhile is a good thing. It results in better handling and better tire wear. However, having to align a brand new Spyder is just wrong. They should be properly aligned at the factory, period.

I know I'll get whipped for this, but I'm telling the truth."

No whipping... , and I'm pretty sure that most folks in here do too!
    How's the negotiations with your better-half pregressing?

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Ah!

Was not aware this equipment did not come from BRP. It all makes sense now. Just came back from a 2700 mile ride and both front tires looking from the drivers seat were worn on the right edge. Maybe why the bike pulls to the right since new.

Thanks for the info.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Ride Master View Post
    Was not aware this equipment did not come from BRP. It all makes sense now. Just came back from a 2700 mile ride and both front tires looking from the drivers seat were worn on the right edge. Maybe why the bike pulls to the right since new.

Thanks for the info.

Tire wear is only the beginning, get an alignment and watch how much easier your spyder travels and turns

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Spyder Garage

RE: Wheel alignments. I have been watching the comments about wheel alignments from the beginning. I mentioned this one time but there were no replies or acknowledgements.

: I also am concerned that 's are arriving at the dealers out of spec (this has been mentioned by a few) and that many require alignment to make them more roadworthy. One person, whose knowledge I respect, told me that the 2014's seem to have less alignment issues from the factory that was noted on the 2008 - 2013 models. I find that to be good.

: If out of spec from the factory is the case, IMO, the dealer should provide a free lazer alignment as a part of the prep/set up service. This has been performed by a couple dealers, and mentioned by a couple customers, and in my mind goes a long way towards customer satisfaction and quality assurance.

: It seems that I am one of the lucky ones here. Never had a wheel alignment done on any of the four 's. Have received 18K to 23K miles out of a set of front tires, and have not experienced handling issues or uneven tire wear on any of my 's.

: Were I to notice tire wear a couple thousand miles into my ryde on a new , I would be taking it back to the dealer and expecting them to fix it under warranty. For me, that would be a couple weeks worth of ownership.

ARNTU's post also has me adding:
    : Sooner or later, most vehicles will need a wheel alignment. My current 2010 has 36,000 miles and is probably a good candidate--were I not anticipating trading it off. My post above has to do with should a brand new need the alignment?
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 01-21-2014 at 04:31 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

arntufun

I would also like to add to this thread.

Imo, we as owners need to realize that the alignment is not a one and done thing. Just like a car, periodically we will have to have this service performed.

Im thrilled we as owners have an affordable service at events even if its not BRP approved. Hats off to the folks that took the risk to buy the tool. I'm a believer !!!!!!
    Last edited by arntufun; 01-21-2014 at 03:08 PM.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default HERE'S THE MATH ON THIS

This may be why ?......Lazer alignment = 1 hr labor = $125 approx. for the entire service and it's now perfect.....................................BRP Dealer alignment = 4 hrs. = $ 400 approx. and don't forget about the cost of tires they are going to try and sell you because their alignment usually doesn't work all that well ??????............................just sayin .....it's a simple case of economics ................Mike
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 01-22-2014 at 12:03 AM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by arntufun View Post
    I would also like to add to this thread.

Imo, we as owners need to realize that the alignment is not a one and done thing. Just like a car, periodically we will have to have this service performed.

Im thrilled we as owners have an affordable option even if its not BRP approved. Hats off to the folks that took the risk to buy the tool. I'm a believer !!!!!!
    Also a good point from the other side of the coin.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    "I think aligning Spyders that have been on the road awhile is a good thing. It results in better handling and better tire wear. However, having to align a brand new Spyder is just wrong. They should be properly aligned at the factory, period.

I know I'll get whipped for this, but I'm telling the truth."

No whipping... , and I'm pretty sure that most folks in here do too!
    How's the negotiations with your better-half pregressing?

My wife still thinks it's too much money for a toy. I have some Minimum required distributions coming up before too long that will go along way toward buying one. I may be the eternal lurker, but I love this place.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Sooo... we can still have hope for you!

Spyder Garage

I have owned my own technology business for 27 years and have spent big bucks on tools that help me or my employees do a better job for the customer. Example a few years ago I bought a $6000 network cable tester and certifier. It paid for itself within 6 months and has been in service for many years making us a ton of money every year. Also our competition didn't have one so it also got us into more customers because of it.

The same thing I would say would apply here with this laser alignment.
    ** Loving my 5th Can-Am Spyder since 2007! **

Spyder Garage

I have had my spyder aligned by the dealer the BRP way and paid for the alignment then went to ROLO that made a big difference now its perfect 18k on rear and front tires the rear will be replaced fronts will go maybe 25k I have rode it over 10k I am a believer on the laser alignment

Spyder Garage

BRP has their own laser alignment and on the 2013 it requires the tires to be taken off and the shocks pre loaded. It costs ~$300 and does not take into account the rear tire and scrub. Just a bad way to do an alignment IMHO.
    2013 Mag Silver SE5 RT BahaRon Sway bar & Sway bar links, Grip Puppies, Kuryakyn Helmet locks , Ultimate Seat w/Utopia Backrest, Dash power outlet, Spyderpops BumpSkid, Swagman Cup holders, Full size Brake Pedal, Seal DLX Floorboards, Freeway Blaster horns, Sylvania Super Bright fender LEDs, Scotchlite 680 Rear & Fender Reflectors, BRP Fog Light Kit, LED Mirror turn signal strips, 2014 RT grille mod. Outlaw Laser Alignment

Spyder Garage

I'm a junior member and should probably keep my mouth shut but I've been around this all my life.
    1500.00 is a minor investment for what your getting out of it. 125.00 a pop shure doesn't take long to pay for
    it self. My opinion if you sell spyders you should have the proper tools to do the job.

Spyder Garage

Default The Can Am dealer near me is really thinking about it

On Saturday, my wife and I were at the dealership in Embrun Ontario (Loiselle Sports) where I go to for parts and I asked him about getting the DPS on my wife's Spyder reset because we got the lazer alignment done at Spyderquest. He asked us how long it took and the results afterward. When my wife told him that the bike handles like a dream now and it only took about 45 mins. He said that he is really thinking hard about getting the ROLO alignment system because it would save then over two hours doing an alignment. He said that it takes them about three hours to do it the BRP way and customers get really upset with him because they think that it takes way too long and too expensive. We really hope they do get it because they are only 10 mins from our house.

Spyder Garage

Couple of comments here;

has as to be a BRP tool under contract? Baloney they sell other makes and brands just gotta tell the. They use them for XYZ ATV.

$1500.00 that is nothing for dealer heck a good set of wrenches cost that.

The labor savings alone would pay if they sell 4 machines per year service $125.00 per alignment is not bad.

So some of the excuses are pretty lame IMHO.

I will bring this this up to my Dealer I bet he will look into it and buy one.