Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by billybovine View Post
    Why would you need to start it? If you don't need to start it so you don't need a key. As was point out the RS does not have an electric parking brake, but I think can disable the parking brake on a ST or RT in 30 seconds.

I agree, I think a little snip of the cable and you could move the bike pretty far.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dudley View Post
    If they don't already, all dealers should require a proof of ownership for anyone ordering a new ignition for any Spyder. A new ignition has to be programmed to the Spyder, etc., a rather BUDS intensive process, if I understand correctly. As someone mentioned, I would go right to the selling dealer and investigate any order of an ignition, etc. If the Spyder was left outside, not a good idea. If the garage was broken into, someone knew what they were looking for. Good luck on the recovery.

There is no reason for a dealer to ask for proof of ownership. If dealers did, the thieves would just order the parts online. Ordering and installing a DESS module, ignition switch is not that hard. No need for BUDS at anytime during this process. There is no need for a dealer master key when installing a new DESS module either.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SNOOPY View Post
    I agree, I think a little snip of the cable and you could move the bike pretty far.
    A pair of cable cutters and it would easy.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Default Update

From the horses mouth....

My Spyder is officially a total loss to theft. However, the insurance company and I have settled and I'm planning to get what is now officially my 4th Can-Am Spyder RS model this Friday. State Farm is the insurance company and they were more than fair during this ordeal. They didn't quite pay off the stolen Spyder but close enough to allow me to get a replacement.

Where I live I have two parking spaces that are less than 25 feet from my front door. They sit adjacent to a side road that leads to a main road. You can't see the Spyder at all from the main road. This is where my Spyder was stolen from in a 6 hr time frame between 2 AM and 8 AM on Sunday Jan 19th. I did not have the handlebars locked nor did I have the emergency brake on (never did before this event). For those that do not realize the RS has non-electronic E brake. Since this happened I've also learned how easy it is to bypass both with relative ease. 30 days was what I was told by the insurance company it would take to conduct an investigation (standard procedure) and sure enough on day 30 after the theft the settlement was reached.

Since the Spyder was stolen I have become familiar with bike alarm systems. They will never prevent a theft, only offer a level of deterrence but something is better than nothing. I'm having not one but two different styles installed on my new Spyder. A Scorpio SR-I900 and a Xena XX6-SS disc lock. Both have very loud alarms. Both are sensitive to vibration and movement. The Scorpio has the added proximity sensor, with a remote. I may not stop a thief but it sure will be noisy if they try this again.

I almost hung up my Spyder keys forever over this. Taking away something that I am so passionate about has changed me forever. This is the longest I've gone without riding a Spyder since April 2010 since I ride all year long. I do not wish this on anyone. Like most everyone else I never thought this would happen. I have been humbled by this ordeal.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pierrelogic View Post

My Spyder is officially a total loss to theft. However, the insurance company and I have settled and I'm planning to get what is now officially my 4th Can-Am Spyder RS model this Friday. State Farm is the insurance company and they were more than fair during this ordeal. They didn't quite pay off the stolen Spyder but close enough to allow me to get a replacement.

Where I live I have two parking spaces that are less than 25 feet from my front door. They sit adjacent to a side road that leads to a main road. You can't see the Spyder at all from the main road. This is where my Spyder was stolen from in a 6 hr time frame between 2 AM and 8 AM on Sunday Jan 19th. I did not have the handlebars locked nor did I have the emergency brake on (never did before this event). For those that do not realize the RS has non-electronic E brake. Since this happened I've also learned how easy it is to bypass both with relative ease. 30 days was what I was told by the insurance company it would take to conduct an investigation (standard procedure) and sure enough on day 30 after the theft the settlement was reached.

Since the Spyder was stolen I have become familiar with bike alarm systems. They will never prevent a theft, only offer a level of deterrence but something is better than nothing. I'm having not one but two different styles installed on my new Spyder. A Scorpio SR-I900 and a Xena XX6-SS disc lock. Both have very loud alarms. Both are sensitive to vibration and movement. The Scorpio has the added proximity sensor, with a remote. I may not stop a thief but it sure will be noisy if they try this again.

I almost hung up my Spyder keys forever over this. Taking away something that I am so passionate about has changed me forever. This is the longest I've gone without riding a Spyder since April 2010 since I ride all year long. I do not wish this on anyone. Like most everyone else I never thought this would happen. I have been humbled by this ordeal.
    Sorry you had to go through this . . . but I'm glad your insurance company came through. I hope to meet you in October when I attend the Ohio Spyder Ryder Rally with the Maryland Spyder Web.
    2013 RT Limited , White (the fastest color!)

Motorbike Professor
    Spyder Garage

So glad to hear you got things settled and will be getting another Spyder. I look forward to meeting up with you again sometime...but not at Gizzard City. My stomach is still adjusting to the last time.

Spyder Garage

Glad it was worked out to your satisfaction. Now, go get you that new Spyder! Just don't look for a yellow one. I think the paint is in scarce supply. Tom

Spyder Garage

Glad to hear you can put this behind you and I hope you enjoy your new Spyder!
    2014 RT-Ltd , Cognac

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Nice to hear this has been resolved. The feeling of being violated sucks. Hope to meet you this year.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It always seems, that the insurance settlement never really makes everything quite the way that it was ...
    But I'm glad that progress is being made!
    And I' sorry that you've had to suffer through this!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by billybovine View Post
    A pair of cable cutters and it would easy.
    If the cable cutters can Overcome the Electric Parking Brake-Can they also render the Steering Lock useless? How hard to defeat the steering lock?

2015 F3 sm6, Custom Dynamics fender lights.

Sea Doo GTI-SE 90 Jet Ski!!

Spyder Garage

Thank you for posting the update. Glad the insurance company came through. Hoping your next ownership experience is uneventful.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Default Glad it worked out for ya

Rob, I'm sorry for your loss. At the same time I'm glad you were able to reach a settlement with the insurance agent.

I'm including a picture of Eric Deuble, You and me taken a few years ago at A.S. K. on a Spyder Ryders night.

100_2777.jpg

Spyder Garage

Default Man sorry for your loss

I am really sorry for your loss. I know how I would be devastated if my Spyder was stolen too.

I am glad to hear you are getting a replacement. After you pick it up please post some pics!!!
    2019 F3 Unlimited , Oxford Blue Dark Edition

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Sorry for the loss, try not to let it discourage your love for spyders by some low life A** . Good luck in the future with your next choice.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    It did a pretty good job of reducing the recidivism rates; didn't it?
    So True!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ChucknRoxann View Post
    So True!
    7 year old thread?
    2018 RT Ltd - Asphalt Metallic - East Valley of Phoenix
    2018 RT Ltd Chrome - Champagne Metallic - Lake Stevens, Wa

(Champagne/Hooker) Magic Mirrors, 360 LED head lights, BajaRon sway bar, H&R springs and shock adjusters, dash cam, foam grips, third brake light 4 LED strobe for 7 seconds and then on steady, rear LED turn signals/8 ohm 50W resistors, sequential turn signals on front fenders, Vredestein and PPA Orb wheels on front and General out back, and driver backrest.

Things that move between machines: Ikea sheep skins, Zumo XT GPS, and extra tools. Hooker is going to be my summer trike up North; and Hookie my winter trike down South.

(Asphalt/Hookie) Elka shocks on front - BajaRon sway bar, OEM driver's backrest, LED headlights, dual USB with voltmeter, dash cam, foam grips - Magic Mirrors - front tires Vredestein Quatrac SL on PPA ORB Chrome wheels.

Spyder Garage

2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

We will close this thread. Concerns a stolen bike from 2014.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red