Spyder Garage

Default Thumb Throttle on 2012 and older RSS

I am a Desert Storm Disabled Veteran with a fused right wrist. I can not bend my wrist in any direction. I really would like a Can Am Spyder and want to know if it is possible to modify the throttle to a thumb throttle like a snowmobile or an ATV? Does anybody know if this can be done or if it has been done? If so, is there a company or an after market business that may specialize in doing this? I talked to a dealer and I know that it can't be done on the newer electronic throttles but I am willing to get a RSS model with the cables on It.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I don't see why it couldn't be done. We have been ditching thumb throttles in favor of finger throttles on our seadoos since the early 90's. However, I highly doubt your going to find a "kit". I've thrown a bunch of thumb throttles away over the years as they aren't desirable.
    Look for someone on the jet ski forums parting out a seadoo and pick up parts on the cheap and give it a whirl! Good luck!

Sent from my Venue 8 3830 using Tapatalk

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by menasha mike View Post
    I am a Desert Storm Disabled Veteran with a fused right wrist. I can not bend my wrist in any direction. I really would like a Can Am Spyder and want to know if it is possible to modify the throttle to a thumb throttle like a snowmobile or an ATV? Does anybody know if this can be done or if it has been done? If so, is there a company or an after market business that may specialize in doing this? I talked to a dealer and I know that it can't be done on the newer electronic throttles but I am willing to get a RSS model with the cables on It.
    Before I gave up on the RT with the electronic throttle I would look into it a bit more, and give it some time on this site, as there are a number of members with outstanding electronic skills. Look into the MC junk yards and Ebay for someone parting out an RT. Buy the throttle assembly and disassemble it. at that point find someone to reconfigure it to your requirements. Yes it sounds messy but you will be amazed at the help that will come from the members on this site.

Just a thought, but are there any BRP products out there that are using an electronic thumb throttle? ATV's? Snowmobiles?

Keep looking and pushing for answers you will be riding soon.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Depends..!

if you can find a shop that handles auto mods for handicaped drivers. I am sure they would be able to make the mod. Problem with the exsisting thumb throttles is the bulk and the other controls on the bars. Can be done for sure...
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by menasha mike View Post
    Google, Thumb throttle you might have some luck. Also try Moose racing.Sorry I couldn't get it to activate the web cite to just punch on but the article looks like this is what you are looking far.The page is Dual gasser throttles $ 149.95 also have other kinds good luck. And THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE !!!!!
    http://asset.lemansnet.com/edge/0/6/...50&t=image/jpg

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Maybe the first thing that you'll need to find out; how much does the cable need to be pulled through it's full travel?
    Once you know that; it should be easy to ding one that matches up!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

could you just mount the throttle on the left side, think that might be easier.

Spyder Garage

Default Thumb Throttle

Before going with a thumb throttle I would look at moving the throttle grip to the "Left grip". During the Spyder In The redwoods last August a fell spyder rider was handicapped. She was born with no right hand or fore arm. She had her RSS modified so the throttle was on the left grip. She is from Grand Rapids MI. Try looking in that area before you go with a thumb throttle.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Remember Snow mobiles and personal watercraft use thumb and finger throttles. My 2013 Yamaha FZS uses finger throttle. On long rides my fingers(index and middle) do fatigue. But if your RSS has cruise that'll help. That alone is worth the "S" option!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by sharbill View Post
    Before going with a thumb throttle I would look at moving the throttle grip to the "Left grip". During the Spyder In The redwoods last August a fell spyder rider was handicapped. She was born with no right hand or fore arm. She had her RSS modified so the throttle was on the left grip. She is from Grand Rapids MI. Try looking in that area before you go with a thumb throttle.
    She was quite a Ryder too! She rode 3,000 miles to Spyders in the Redwoods, then 3,000 miles home--one handed.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Wish I could help, but have no ideas.
    Thank you for your service
    Oldmanzues