Spyder Garage

Default I'm ready to purchase a spyder!

Hello Everyone,
    I have been a "lurker for many months", but this is my first post! I am very impressed with the exchange of information here; and a very friendly atmosphere, too!

My local dealer called me the other day and said the RT Limiteds are in! Yaaa!
    I would like to purchase a Limited. Outright cash purchase; no trade-in. This is my first purchase of a brand new "toy" from a dealer. What kind of a discount from MSRP should I expect? Does the "toy" industry haggle like we do for cars? Or should I just be quiet and pay the sticker price?

signed,
    Ignorant in Boston

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Root View Post
    Hello Everyone,
    I have been a "lurker for many months", but this is my first post! I am very impressed with the exchange of information here; and a very friendly atmosphere, too!

I would like to purchase a Limited. Outright cash purchase; no trade-in. This is my first purchase of a brand new "toy" from a dealer. What kind of a discount from MSRP should I expect? Does the "toy" industry haggle like we do for cars? Or should I just be quiet and pay the sticker price?

signed,
    Ignorant in Boston

On the 14s you should try to negotiate a less than sticker price but don't be surprised this early in the year that they are standing hard and strong. on any other Model year, 13s and below the discounts are huge but you will not be getting the larger motor etc.

look at the difference between the LTD and the RTS and decide which suits you better

good luck on whichever you choose, they are great machines.

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Spyder Garage

Default Welcome..!!

gald you broke your silence and joined in. Haggling will vary but calling around can help. On the new ones with all the anticipation may not be open to negotiating many are waiting and reports and reviews are rolling in. Hope to see pictures soon your going to love the roadster world...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

to the site. This is probably the worst time of the year to cut a deal on a new 2014 "latest and greatest." Right now its a sellers market and in a lot of places people are clamoring to get their new 2014. Unless deals were made in advance, most likely the prices are not going to offer deep discounts. You might ask for such things as extended warranty, accessories, or maybe even a free oil change service or two.

A cash sale, no trade, no financing, few accessories added, takes away all the dealers incentives to make a bit more cash on the deal.

I am also in the camp where service after the sale counts to me. Sometimes the best cash deal does not come from the best servicing dealer. I try to make my purchases long term relationships with the dealer. There have also been some dealers that "punish" you if you did not buy from them. Slow service or outright no service has been mentioned several times here.

Good luck on your purchase. Let us know what you get.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 01-15-2014 at 03:52 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

For my life experience" IF YOU DON'T ASK FOR IT YOU WILL NOT GET IT" Good luck and happy happy riding.
    2012 Spyder RT SE5 Brake pedal mod

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It never hurts to ask...
    But the 2014 models represent a huge leap forward in the development of these bikes; it could be tough to talk discounts.
    But; nothing ventured... nothing gained!
    Good Luck!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Hello Everyone,

signed,
    Ignorant in Boston
    I would Never tell a dealer i'am paying cash, let them work for it, good luck on your purchase.

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Welcome!

Good luck on getting a discount on a new model that just came out. It could happen!
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

My sister and I are both waiting on 2014 RTL's and they offered us each a $600 cash discount... I think the biggest issue is that they are price controlled by BRP and that takes a lot of the bargaining power out of the hands of the dealerships. I don't know what has happened in America when you can no longer go to one guy and say "this guy said he'd give it to me for x" and negotiate a better price.

That and I really don't think they care. One thing you know if you have been on the board a while is that plenty of people are waiting. They will sell them if not to you to someone else as there is no competitor per se. Unless you want to pay twice as much for a T-Rex... But not the same...

Where you will find some play is on accessories that you purchase with the bike...

Spyder Garage

Default Not sure on the '14s

Quote Originally Posted by caw001 View Post
    My sister and I are both waiting on 2014 RTL's and they offered us each a $600 cash discount... I think the biggest issue is that they are price controlled by BRP and that takes a lot of the bargaining power out of the hands of the dealerships. I don't know what has happened in America when you can no longer go to one guy and say "this guy said he'd give it to me for x" and negotiate a better price.

That and I really don't think they care. One thing you know if you have been on the board a while is that plenty of people are waiting. They will sell them if not to you to someone else as there is no competitor per se. Unless you want to pay twice as much for a T-Rex... But not the same...

Where you will find some play is on accessories that you purchase with the bike...
    I do not believe that they are "price controlled". I bought my 2010 and I worked between 4 dealers. I live in WA state. They were located in CA, NY, IL, FL (WA dealers didn't have the color RT I wanted). CA & NY said MSRP no deal. But IL and FL were wiling to work with me...IL earned my business. I am getting a '14 RTS and I am here to tell you that the dealers I have talked to are willing (some more than others) to deal. Pitbull Powersports (Len) in Springfield, MO got my business.
    My Motto Is:
    Live my life in such a way that when my feet hit the floor in the morning...Satan shudders & says "Oh, crap, SHE'S awake!"

Red Stallion: 2016 F3t SE6 (from Pitbull PowerSports/ Springfield, MO)
    White Knight: 2014 RTS SE6 and matching 622 trailer (from Pitbull
    PowerSports/ Springfield, MO)
    Ms Spydee: 2010 RT SE5

Spyder Garage

and good luck on your hunt for a 2014 .

Spyder: 2011 RT Limited w/ RT-622 trailer
    Mods: ESI Brightsides, RT Rear Brightsides, HMT Brake Light, Scuff Guards, Utopia Backrest, Chrome, and more Chrome, Pearl White Rear View Mirrors, Rear Fender, and Dashboard, Black Rear Wheel and Belt Assy, SpyderPops Heat Shields & Bump Skid, Elka Stage 1+ Shocks, 2012 SF Graphics, Silver Carbonfiber Dash, Corbin Arm Rests, Baker A.W., BRP Vented WindShield. BR's Sway Bar, Tricled White Halo Lights, BadBoy Air Horn, Spyder Legs Floor Boards

Spyder Garage

Default Nothing to loose ....

Thank you everyone!!
    I know its a challenge, but I'll haggle as much as I can! Being a new model it'll be an uphill battle.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Cool 2014 Sale

By all means when you go to buy think it through before you visit the first dealer. Research the dealership for pricing, after sale service and replacement parts stockage. All are very important to you, the buyer.

When I went to buy mine I knew everything about the dealer to include things he never thought about. I had done a lot of research on three close by dealers, St. Augustine, Daytona Beach, Sanford. I know their on hand inventory, tentative asking pricing and approximate delivery times once we shook hands and I signed the papers.

With anything that is considered a recreational product you got to watch and see if the toy you want can be negioated down in price. I used the Kelly Blue Book and Edmunds.com to gather my sales offer and then I deducted a amount that I figured would allow hm some profit (he has to turn some profit or he won't stay in business very long.). One thing I learned over the years trading cars and trucks. Dealing with a reputable dealer that lives close by you is the way to go and some out of town dealers will shave of some to make the sale knowing they will never see you again.

Just like you should not expect free work on little things or red carpet service if you buy out of town and expect the hometown guy to do everything right now. I always get my final price cast in concrete and when they say we can finance it for you today right now ,I say will you take a credit card or a check. They will gasp and usually go for the check.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Thank you everyone!!
    I know its a challenge, but I'll haggle as much as I can! Being a new model it'll be an uphill battle.
    Hi Root,

I noticed you live in the Boston area, here's a suggestion go see Eric at Route 3a Motorsports in Chelmsford. They received 3 RT's in last week and had 2 of them at the Northeast Motorcycle Expo in Boston this past weekend. Being the largest Spyder dealer around you'll stand a better chance of getting a discount off MSRP. Mention to Eric that Kevin from the GWRRA sent you that may help.

Good luck!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Ask for a 20% discount allowance on all future accessories. Its a win win for you and them.