Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: She won't start

Spyder Garage

Hope you get it solved. It also sounds to me like you are ready for a new battery. I was thinking the same about my 2010 which still has the original in it. Hoping I do not have to replace it prior to trade in.

Please keep us posted.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Default Joe Joe Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Cruzr Joe View Post
    you could move closer to someone who likes to wrench on these things.

Cruzr Joe
    You make me
    My Motto Is:
    Live my life in such a way that when my feet hit the floor in the morning...Satan shudders & says "Oh, crap, SHE'S awake!"

Red Stallion: 2016 F3t SE6 (from Pitbull PowerSports/ Springfield, MO)
    White Knight: 2014 RTS SE6 and matching 622 trailer (from Pitbull
    PowerSports/ Springfield, MO)
    Ms Spydee: 2010 RT SE5

Spyder Garage

Default Now look at that..

Quote Originally Posted by Noral View Post
    If you might need a battery their is an interstate battery place in Chelan,Wa

2010, Can-Am
    Showing 1-1 of 1 Page 1 View All
    Cycle-Tron Plus High Performance - 21 AH » Part # they show is FAYTX24HL

I did not even know they had batteries...so giving them a call. they are about 7 mi from me...no biggie...truck running fine!!!! Thanks so much.

Mill Bay Marine & Rv
    2245 Sr 150
    Chelan, WA 98816
    (509) 687-2628
    Open Saturday: No
    Open Sunday: No
    Distance: 1.69 Miles
    I did not even know they had batteries...so giving them a call. they are about 7 mi from me...no biggie...truck running fine!!!! Thanks so much.
    My Motto Is:
    Live my life in such a way that when my feet hit the floor in the morning...Satan shudders & says "Oh, crap, SHE'S awake!"

Spyder Garage

Default same problem

Quote Originally Posted by murphybrown View Post
    OK experts. Here I am with 40 and 50 degree days..no snow on roads and Ms Spyder has an "attitude" and will NOT start. Have on trickle charger...Tries to turn over but won't catch...one good try, one weak, then the digital screen goes grey and striped. Immediate strong gas smell...like it is flooding out. This is the original battery. Almost 70k . 2010 RTSE5. I am 200 miles from dealer over 2 mountain passes and no trailer.
    If this was you where would you start. I can feel a "nasty attitude" coming my way if I can't ryde.... Soooo I come to you with humble (teachable) request. EEEEKKKKK murphybrown is getting desperate to ryde. Thanks I'll try anything and everything!!!! to all you gurus..
    No gurus here . But had the same problem last month, the spark plugs were fowled according to the mach. I took it to the dealer but that's only 8 miles away. not 200 good luck finding the answer.
    48 down.

Spyder Garage

Default I might be playing my great grannie card SOONER than LATER

..Thanks for all the input. I am going for "it's the battery"....now the next thing I need is the link to Lamont's video on "how to"...I can't find with my search!!! Then I am going to watch repeatedly...get out my fancy little tool kit (that Lamont recommended many moon ago and I bought...think it is still in the shrink wrap!!!) and see what happens....and if I get then I'm thinking it will be time for the great grannie card to come out!!! Will keep you all posted...
    Spyderlovers you ROCK... Will keep you posted....
    My Motto Is:

Spyder Garage

Hi Carol,

Randy here, your riding buddy from Lynden, lol.....

If you are not comfortable removing the panels then do as has been suggested, jump and get to a dealer. That being said, you are quite a ways from one. If I recall you had a new battery installed earlier this year or was that Rabbit? If it is a weak battery jumping it and driving should be fine but if the terminals are loose then you should tighten first as it can cause some really weird codes/limp mode which could stand you along the way. If you like I can walk you through how to get to the battery terminals for tightening as a precaution. I have all the screws memorized as I have taken mine down to the frame many, many times, lol. You only need a few tools and I can run you through those as well.

By the way, you said it turns over but does not catch. How fast is it turning over, about like normal or very slow. If it is normal chances are it is not the battery. For a quick charge you can use a standard 5-10 amp battery charger, just limit it to 20 minutes or so. These are not small batteries so it will not harm them.

If you suspect it has been flooded hold the throttle wide open while cranking, If I recall the fly by wire is programed to go wide open to allow for clearing out the excess fuel. I had it happened once with mine, I cranked wide open for 10 seconds, let it sit for a minute then cranked normal and it fired right up.

Good luck, call me if you need to 360 815-4232. My mother-in-law went into the hospital this morning and they say she may pass away today (she is 93) so if I don't answer that would be the only reason why.

Take care good buddy :-)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Don't mess around ,get a new battery and make sure your alternator is working properly. Local part store will check for free. Good luck.
    2012 Spyder RT SE5 Brake pedal mod

Spyder Garage

Default Not me

Quote Originally Posted by bluestratos View Post
    Hi Carol,

Randy here, your riding buddy from Lynden, lol.....

If you are not comfortable removing the panels then do as has been suggested, jump and get to a dealer. That being said, you are quite a ways from one. If I recall you had a new battery installed earlier this year or was that Rabbit? If it is a weak battery jumping it and driving should be fine but if the terminals are loose then you should tighten first as it can cause some really weird codes/limp mode which could stand you along the way. If you like I can walk you through how to get to the battery terminals for tightening as a precaution. I have all the screws memorized as I have taken mine down to the frame many, many times, lol. You only need a few tools and I can run you through those as well.

By the way, you said it turns over but does not catch. How fast is it turning over, about like normal or very slow. If it is normal chances are it is not the battery. For a quick charge you can use a standard 5-10 amp battery charger, just limit it to 20 minutes or so. These are not small batteries so it will not harm them.

If you suspect it has been flooded hold the throttle wide open while cranking, If I recall the fly by wire is programed to go wide open to allow for clearing out the excess fuel. I had it happened once with mine, I cranked wide open for 10 seconds, let it sit for a minute then cranked normal and it fired right up.

Good luck, call me if you need to 360 815-4232. My mother-in-law went into the hospital this morning and they say she may pass away today (she is 93) so if I don't answer that would be the only reason why.

Take care good buddy :-)
    Hi Randy...thanks for posting...Sorry to hear about your mother-in-law...letting go of a family member is always very hard. No, I did not get a new battery...must have been lil rabbit...when I try to start the rpms are around 600-800 (that is the strongest...first try). It would never stay cranked for 10 seconds..about 2 max and then the digital screen goes grey/striped. I called AAA to see about getting "her" hauled to Enumclaw. The gal I talked to insists that with the AAA Premium RV I get 4 services of any kind per year. I asked her...so if I need my bike hauled 4 times at 200 miles each AAA will pay...she said YES..and I asked her several different ways. Sometimes says so will call and talk to a different "agent" and see what the answer is. Cause if that is the case. I will have AAA take spyder to Clem's...let them fix it ...if not I will be calling you and let you walk me through removing the panels to get to battery.
    Thanks for your offer...be prepared...heck why don't you and Don just drive over here for something to do!!!! Again thanks, Karyl
    My Motto Is:

Spyder Garage

Better check your road-service policy. Some will only pick up if you break down on the road...not at home. You may have to shove your Spyder into the street. Be sure they will haul it even from there...some will haul to the nearest qualified repair facility or your home...whichever is closest. AAA is usually pretty good about just asking where you want to haul it, but check first to be sure.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Opps, spelled your name wrong Karyl, lol...

Well good chance it is your battery then, you have a lot of miles too,, 70,000 or more if I recall correctly. If you go gray screen after 2 seconds you are browning out. I wish I could come over and help... Hmmmmmmmmmm..... lol...

IF you do need to do it yourself it is actually very easy so just let me know. Of course you will need to drive to get a new battery first.

Be good

Spyder Garage

Default Ready or NOT

Okay here's the update guys. I have taken all this advice to heart. I have got the manual out on how to remove panels I have located appropriate screws and tools. So tomorrow morning after about my third cup of coffee I'm going in!!!!!
    A major piece of information that I am lacking is how do I get the battery out once I get to it? I know I know Trust me I've already got that one down for this project. Plus I'm putting Randy on speed dial!!
    if I don't post by 8 PM my time tomorrow send in the troops... It means Ms. Spyder won and I lost..
    My Motto Is:

Spyder Garage

"Batteries Plus" stores in my area have batteries that fit the Spyder on the shelf. I'm not sure if they are a national chain though. My 2010 is still on the original battery so I stopped in their store just to check. I plan to replace mine before riding season this year.
    Last edited by StanProff; 01-15-2014 at 08:51 PM.
    Happy Spyderlovers

Spyder Garage

Default AAA. One of the good ones

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    Better check your road-service policy. Some will only pick up if you break down on the road...not at home. You may have to shove your Spyder into the street. Be sure they will haul it even from there...some will haul to the nearest qualified repair facility or your home...whichever is closest. AAA is usually pretty good about just asking where you want to haul it, but check first to be sure.
    thanks so much for the wise advice Scotty . I have double and triple check with AAA and the premier RV policy that I have will give me four services per year which if it's for 200 mile tows then it's for 200 miles or a combination of anything just a total of four per person per year. I also asked what if I break down in my garage and they said will push your rig out of the garage and load it up. A MapQuest shows that I'm 193 miles from my house to the dealers so I'm in the range. Yea AAA.
    My Motto Is:

Spyder Garage

There's something that might help get your engine going, but it won't solve the long term battery problem, and it only works IF you can get at the top of the battery.

Open the seat and remove the cover panel so you can see the battery top & terminals, then go heat some water, about a litre is usually enough. Once the water is almost boiling, ie hot enough to make you keep your hand out of it but not necessarily bubbling madly yet, take the water off the heat and pour it over the top of the battery. Try not to splash it on you or anything that won't like too much water. Wait about 20 seconds after drowning the batter, then try starting the engine.

If the battery is mainly suffering from the cold, even if it's a bit old and ailing but not yet dead, adding some heat via almost boiling water like that can often be enough to get your vehicle started. It's worth a try I'd reckon, but do it sooner rather than later - if you keep on trying to start the engine without doing something like this, it will kill the battery, they really don't like sitting around half flat, and they don't really like a whole heap more being asked to start an engine when there's just not enough juice left in them to do it.

Good Luck

There again, maybe this only works in the snowfields/deserts Down Under - not that we have a heap of snow or freezing cold weather in Australia, but it does get to minus 10 Deg C every now and then!!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 01-16-2014 at 01:35 AM.

Spyder Garage

thanks so much for the wise advice Scotty . I have double and triple check with AAA and the premier RV policy that I have will give me four services per year which if it's for 200 mile tows then it's for 200 miles or a combination of anything just a total of four per person per year. I also asked what if I break down in my garage and they said will push your rig out of the garage and load it up. A MapQuest shows that I'm 193 miles from my house to the dealers so I'm in the range. Yea AAA.
    Perfect!
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Waiting to see if we need to send in the troops.

Hey Bob, got any troops on standby??

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Spyder Garage

Hi again,

Once you have the panels removed, including the battery access panel on top, just dsconnect the rubber strap that runs over the battery with pliers, preferably needle nose. Disconnect the negative battery post with a #10 wrench but watch for the nut that might slide out, it is inside the post and is rectangular.
    Remove and pull the ground wires out of your way then repeat the process for the red positive.

Push the battery toward the back by using left hand, the battery sticks out a bit at the positive end. Once it has slid far enough back use you right hand and pull the battery all the way back while lifting upwards and the battery will come right out. It is tight but comes out with a bit of jiggling (or cussing, which ever works best, lol).

I am not sure if the new battery already has the electrolyte already in, if not, follow the instruction that come with it. I like to give the new battery a full charge on the bench or in place but I know some just hoop and ride a good long distance. Use your trickle charger as you would normally after that. By the way, check to see that trickle charger is actually working. I had a Battery Tender Jr that failed but appeared be working by the light. I have since replaced it with a much better unit that not only trickles but constantly samples the voltage and will go to much high amperage I if it needs to.

Install is reverse of the removal but be sure to snug up the bolts till tight but do not be heavy handed to avoid stripping the nuts. I have tried lock washers to no avail and I have been told not to use lock tight but I know some have. These bolts are notorious for coming lose and I know from experience the computer hates loose battery terminals! lol

Good luck and just call if you run into any problems getting the battery in or out.

Randy

Spyder Garage

The OEM battery comes charged from the factory.

I'm going to say this so take it with a grain of salt or a shot of whiskey. When I was working I purchased 12 volt lead acid batteries from Batteries Plus for replacements, always making sure they were the correct class and CCA rating. Of the 6 or so I purchased, at least four went bad within six months. I switched back to another supplier and didn't have any further issues.

If you would like to know who manufactures batteries, this is the best site I've found http://jgdarden.com/batteryfaq/batbrand.htm

USAF '69-'89 E7
    Thailand/Vietnam 1972
    Member: Royal Order of Rat Bastards

Spyder Garage

Default I am alive and well....

First and foremost thanks to all you awesome Spyderlovers...because of each and every suggestions, idea, recommendation and support. Ms Spyder is back in my good graces and I am not threatening her .. bottom line...discovered that because of the challenge of trying to remove the battery and my lack of skill and higher level of when it comes to all things mechanical..AND because AAA said "heck yea" we'll haul her to your dealer. I decided my best decision was to get her to dealer. So she will depart from Chelan on a rollback sent by AAA and get dropped off in Enumclaw. I will let you what the techs come back with....but I reallllly really appreciate all the support I got from you awesome folks. Sure I will have a new report by next week....thanks and hugs.
    My Motto Is:

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

First and foremost thanks to all you awesome Spyderlovers...because of each and every suggestions, idea, recommendation and support. Ms Spyder is back in my good graces and I am not threatening her .. bottom line...discovered that because of the challenge of trying to remove the battery and my lack of skill and higher level of when it comes to all things mechanical..AND because AAA said "heck yea" we'll haul her to your dealer. I decided my best decision was to get her to dealer. So she will depart from Chelan on a rollback sent by AAA and get dropped off in Enumclaw. I will let you what the techs come back with....but I reallllly really appreciate all the support I got from you awesome folks. Sure I will have a new report by next week....thanks and hugs.
    I'm glad that AAA is on your side this time. Weren't they the ones who wouldn't reimburse you for your hotel when you broke down after Spyderfest last year?
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Default Update time

OK Ms Spyder (thanks to AAA) is headed to dealer as I type. "her" attitude was extending past the battery...soooooo AAA Premier RV roadside to the rescue. I am sooooo grateful for such great roadside service...I in my fuzzy slippers had to open the garage door....heavy work pushing that button...and the rollback driver knew exactly how to tie a Spyder down and off she went.
    My Motto Is:

Spyder Garage

Any news?
    2008 GS SM5, Full Moon Silver
    2007 Piaggio MP3 - 250cc

Spyder Garage

Waiting for news ..

Cruzr joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Spyder Garage

Default Nope. Hopefully soon

Quote Originally Posted by oldgoat View Post
    Any news?
    First the battery was definitely bad.. Just plain worn out my opinion I feel 4 years and 70,000 miles it was a good battery. But that also feel there's another issue hopefully they'll be back to being a day or two. Thanks for asking I will keep you updated.
    My Motto Is:

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the update.

Cruzr joe