Spyder Garage

Default 2014 RT-S SE6 Test Ride.....

Well to begin with I have to say, I am a regular lurker here and I don't post very often. I do logon everyday to see what's going on with everyone and what new information I can find to better my knowlege of my Spyder ( 2010 RT-S SE5 Timeless Black). Now that being said I can say now that I was picked by BRP to test ride a 2014 RT-S SE6 Limited. I picked it up yesterday (1/11/14), My first impression was" Doesn't look too much different than my RT-S. Did the required Paperwork and got the walk around from my dealer (elkgrove PowerSports) and then they started it up......hhhmmmm sounds like a Porsche. Ok so far I like the sound of it. Now for the big put it in gear and see what it will do......Not bad to start, the steering was way easier than my bike. So now I had at least an 1 1/2hr drive home, So far it has very good pick up and go power and tons of torque, the shifting was very smooth (almost didn't know it shifted), I like the lower rpm shift windows. Next the suspension, very good improvement, loved the ride and the handling was amazing, it just felt like it was floating most of the time. I also liked the new smaller windshield that was on there, Perfect size. And the BIG thing......NO HEAT! Even though it would have been nice to have a little heat coming off the engine riding in 50 degree weather. But sitting in traffic I couldn't feel ANY heat escaping up through the body panels. Now I did try the eco button on the bike and right now I can't tell if there is going to be a big difference in fuel milage yet that will come later.

Ok now for the stuff I wasn't crazy about. Floorboards, I'm not a fan but they are on there so I use them and I couldn't find a comfortable spot for my legs anywhere, I had to get off a few times partly because my knees were killing me, now to be fair it also happens on my Spyder and I have pegs and lamonster's NBV Highway Brackets and nothing is helping, I know that my legs need to stretch out further than what I can do now, so I make do the best I can, and also they way they got the floorboards in relation to the brake pedal makes it harder to step on the brake because it feels like I have to bend my leg back further to step on the brake, so again not very comfy in my book. Which now brings me to the seat....I don't know which seat they put on the limited but it does have a spot for a back rest (wish they would have supplied one, you would think they would want that tested too). But alas they didn't put one on so I suffered the whole way home, because I have to have one in order to ride ( I have Utopia on mine) so now I have to do something or this three week test is going to be hell. One more thing I'm not crazy about is the fenders....I don't care for the raised ridge running up the center, I like the smooth lines like on the 2010's, but that's a personal thing, I know I would want the option to have that.

Now for all that being said (so far, I still have 3 weeks to go) I overall like the 2014 on a performance level but some of the comfort and cosmetic things It would be nice to have some better options and I will be further watching and waiting to see what BRP does because I believe I will be upgrading I'm just not sure when. I will just do my research as best I can and watch what other fellow Spyder owners have to say.

Spyder Garage

Default Nice !!

review..congrats on being selected for tester of the new 2014. Hope you can find comfort in the coming weeks of ryding. Good to know the mechanical is good the rest can be adjusted to ones liking..enjoy the ryde and hope to hear more...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

And I am SOOOO... envious of you!
    Keep the information coming as the miles pile up!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

I like everything on the bike but can't figure out why they left the windshield mount silver? The made everything else black so it really stands out. I will eventually have it powder coated black like I did on the 2010 RT.
    2014 Timeless Black RTS/SE - BRP CB/Comm System; BRP Zumo 660 GPS System; BRP Cellphone Interface; BRP ST-1 Helmets w/BRP Headsets; BRP XM Radio; BRP Tri-Axis Handlebars; BRP Adj Wind Deflectors; BRP Adj Vent Windshield; BRP Comfort Seat & Utopia Backrest; Corbin Armrests; HMT Brake Light; TricLED 3/4 Brake & Running Lights; TricLED Fender Lights & Rr Cargo Lights; CD Fender TIPS Kit; Bump Skid; Scorpio i900 Alarm; Touratech GPS Locking Mount; NBV Highway Mounts; BBP Brake Pedal, Stebel horn.

Spyder Garage

Default windshield mount

Quote Originally Posted by stevedfive View Post
    I like everything on the bike but can't figure out why they left the windshield mount silver? The made everything else black so it really stands out. I will eventually have it powder coated black like I did on the 2010 RT.
    True I'm not crazy about chrome, I think it should all be black but that's just me.

Spyder Garage

Default would like to think

i personally would like to think that the people with problems with their bikes would be the first ones to do teat rides on the new bikes. but that really might make matters worse because we would really realize how bad our bikes are. i for one would love to try out a new bike for some miles to see the differences between the two years, who knows it might make me take a beating and trade my 13 for a 14, ( if BRP reads this ) but enjoy the new bike and looking forward to more information
    NO BIKE AT THIS TIME

Spyder Garage

Default Mechanicals

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    review..congrats on being selected for tester of the new 2014. Hope you can find comfort in the coming weeks of ryding. Good to know the mechanical is good the rest can be adjusted to ones liking..enjoy the ryde and hope to hear more...
    Thanks I was very surprised when they asked me to do this.........mechanically it's way better than previous models and that make excited about driving it. I too know the rest can be changed it's just finding the right combinations

Spyder Garage

Default testing

Quote Originally Posted by cuznjohn View Post
    i personally would like to think that the people with problems with their bikes would be the first ones to do teat rides on the new bikes. but that really might make matters worse because we would really realize how bad our bikes are. i for one would love to try out a new bike for some miles to see the differences between the two years, who knows it might make me take a beating and trade my 13 for a 14, ( if BRP reads this ) but enjoy the new bike and looking forward to more information
    I see your point, it would be something to think about, but I would hope that all who do get to test them will do it honestly so those who do have problems with their bikes would be able to make informed decisions on what they could do. I won't say that my 2010 doesn't have it's "quirks" but I am doing the best I can with it and slowly making the changes I need to solve the problems. It does throw some heat so i've wrapped the pipes and redirected the air, it's an on going thing but I'm making progress. But riding the 2014 really shows me what BRP should have done right out of the box, but I realize it's a new concept and there is going to be a learning curve on their part. So I just wait and watch and maybe someday I will upgrade.

Spyder Garage

Default i made changes

Quote Originally Posted by Madincalif View Post
    I see your point, it would be something to think about, but I would hope that all who do get to test them will do it honestly so those who do have problems with their bikes would be able to make informed decisions on what they could do. I won't say that my 2010 doesn't have it's "quirks" but I am doing the best I can with it and slowly making the changes I need to solve the problems. It does throw some heat so i've wrapped the pipes and redirected the air, it's an on going thing but I'm making progress. But riding the 2014 really shows me what BRP should have done right out of the box, but I realize it's a new concept and there is going to be a learning curve on their part. So I just wait and watch and maybe someday I will upgrade.
    i added the virkita trykes top and bottom air vents but it is way too cold to see if that helped, but that is all i am doing till they decide what they are going to do about our heat
    NO BIKE AT THIS TIME

Spyder Garage

Default heat

Quote Originally Posted by cuznjohn View Post
    i added the virkita trykes top and bottom air vents but it is way too cold to see if that helped, but that is all i am doing till they decide what they are going to do about our heat
    I will agree with you there. They've solved it with this model year so far, let see what happens now.

Spyder Garage

Default i have

the factory floor boards on my bike, and in order to use the brake peddle i have to lift my foot to step on it and i tend to hit the brake to hard, so i installed the hand brake and only use the foot brake in a emergency and here in NY it is quite often with the drivers on the road
    NO BIKE AT THIS TIME

Spyder Garage

Windshield bracket powder coated black
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2014 Timeless Black RTS/SE - BRP CB/Comm System; BRP Zumo 660 GPS System; BRP Cellphone Interface; BRP ST-1 Helmets w/BRP Headsets; BRP XM Radio; BRP Tri-Axis Handlebars; BRP Adj Wind Deflectors; BRP Adj Vent Windshield; BRP Comfort Seat & Utopia Backrest; Corbin Armrests; HMT Brake Light; TricLED 3/4 Brake & Running Lights; TricLED Fender Lights & Rr Cargo Lights; CD Fender TIPS Kit; Bump Skid; Scorpio i900 Alarm; Touratech GPS Locking Mount; NBV Highway Mounts; BBP Brake Pedal, Stebel horn.

Spyder Garage

Congrats on getting chosen to do a test ride on the 14.
    I look forward to hearing your impressions good and bad as your test goes along.
    2014 RT-Ltd , Cognac

Spyder Garage

MadinCalif: I know what you mean by back issues and when I first got my '11 I took a small bag , about 12 in across, and stuffed it with a blanket or so with a piece of foam on the front side. Strapped it on the back and presto, you have relief for the back. You have to work with it a bit to get it stuffed to suit. I did this temporarily until i put a Utopia on. Downside was having to remove it for gasing up. If the seat had a gas lid I'd have kept the bag on as it was more comfortable than the Utopia.

Anyway, you might work up something like this to make your test period better.
    Two Wheelers from 1963-2011

Three Wheelers:
    2011 RT(Red)
    2014 RT(white)
    2016 F3T(red)
    2022 RT current ride(silver)

Spyder Garage

Congrats on the test ride. Look forward to more info on the new model. Want to hear more on the new trans and shifting as I've always gone for manual shift but as I am getting older have been considering changing.

Glo Ryders {4 sets (Blue, Red, Orange, Pink) I swap out}
    Rear Trunk Liner ......... Seal Floorboards
    Rear Trunk Shelf
    Corbin Heated Seat
    extra 12V plug
    Elka shocks
    White/Red fender lights
    Bump/skid
    Baker Wind Wings
    Honey Burl Dash Kit

Spyder Garage

Default Trans

Quote Originally Posted by Yfactor View Post
    Congrats on the test ride. Look forward to more info on the new model. Want to hear more on the new trans and shifting as I've always gone for manual shift but as I am getting older have been considering changing.
    The new transmission is wonderful, shifts way smoother than the centrifugal force clutch on my 2010. I would say this improvement is one of the best things. It is so smooth you barely even know it shifted, you hear a small click and the indicator goes up one. It's wonderful.

Spyder Garage

Default Back rest

Quote Originally Posted by ulflyer View Post
    MadinCalif: I know what you mean by back issues and when I first got my '11 I took a small bag , about 12 in across, and stuffed it with a blanket or so with a piece of foam on the front side. Strapped it on the back and presto, you have relief for the back. You have to work with it a bit to get it stuffed to suit. I did this temporarily until i put a Utopia on. Downside was having to remove it for gasing up. If the seat had a gas lid I'd have kept the bag on as it was more comfortable than the Utopia.

Anyway, you might work up something like this to make your test period better.
    Yes I will work up something, but I think it would have been nice to have one one it already. I would think that they would fully load the bike up ( it is a RT-S Limited after all) and let me really see what it does. But that's just me.

Spyder Garage

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by stevedfive View Post
    It seems odd that they wouldn't black out that part on the RTS... and chrome it on the Limited!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member Pirate looks at --'s Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default I can help

Quote Originally Posted by Madincalif View Post
    Yes I will work up something, but I think it would have been nice to have one one it already. I would think that they would fully load the bike up ( it is a RT-S Limited after all) and let me really see what it does. But that's just me.
    Madincalif, I am sorry about the back issues and absolutely understand that this could make that three week test unbearable for you. So I have a solution, bring the bike back to Elk Grove, and I will ryde it for you and give you a complete report! I had the opportunity to sit on that 2014 the other night, but Forrest wouldn't let me take it out. Enjoy, and we look forward to yurt reports. A bunch of us are heading out on a ryde to Columbia this Saturday if you want to join us.
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

Spyder Garage

Default 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Pirate looks at -- View Post
    Madincalif, I am sorry about the back issues and absolutely understand that this could make that three week test unbearable for you. So I have a solution, bring the bike back to Elk Grove, and I will ryde it for you and give you a complete report! I had the opportunity to sit on that 2014 the other night, but Forrest wouldn't let me take it out. Enjoy, and we look forward to yurt reports. A bunch of us are heading out on a ryde to Columbia this Saturday if you want to join us.
    Somehow I thought that might be someone's solution sooner or later, but I think I will just suffer through it so that way my report back to BRP won't be too perfect. Columbia this Saturday.....hmmmmm I'll think about that one because I had a plan to ride up that way that way this weekend.