Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default My 2014 Ride Report

Timeless Black 2014 RTS Picked up from PitBull PowerSports yesterday.

Well ............................... 120 Mile ride (City Streets, Highway and in the Mountains) today in 58 - 60 degree weather, Samewok came by and we headed to Hot Springs Arkansas to see Spyderpops (Harvey).

I had a 2012, 2013 and now a 2014 and while i enjoyed the previous two, the ride on the 14 is drasticaly different, the shifting is so smooth and quiet that you hardly know you've changed gears, the bike is quieter also, the muffler and engine noise is different (more mello), you can hear the music better than before because of the lower sounds from the Spyder. The lower torque feels very responsive in every gear, the transmission automicaly drops back to the next lower gear as before but only when you are stopping, not for slowing down.

The new engine is fast and very responsive as you go through the gears, the biggest change i noticed is from 1st to 2nd, previously you had to get to a certain speed and rpm to change, not anymore, change when you get ready, i used the eco mode but it seemed to be less responsive so i quit using it , maybe later.

NO HEAT, nuff said

Probably need the sway bar upgrade, ordered mine today, got the links ordered also, and the 3rd & 4th Brakelight, and the Mirror Turn signals, working on getting a new bumpskid to protect the front end.

The new radiator air inlets are trash collectors, bugs, leaves, small pieces of paper, etc. no problem just an observation

The new seat has more cush for the tush.

Shocks appear to be a little better than previous

Black is a hard color to keep clean.

No vibration at any speed.

Brakes, steering etc appear to be the same all good

After 120 Miles i still had between a 1/4 to a 1/2 of fuel, thats GOOD, previously 120 and i was really hunting a gas station

I have no complaints, here are some differences i observed

No styrofoam caddy in the glove box

No automatic Frunk Release

Oil Dipstick under seat now

Tool Kit no longer has a air gauge

No Chrome on RTS it's either Black or ?? Brushed Aluminum

Seconday Battery Terminals Gone (maybe they forgot them on mine )

More to follow as i find it or can't find it

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Spyder Garage

Also the adjustable air vents work on the 2014 RT's you just have to use shorter screws

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Spyder Garage

how many 2014's did Pitbull have there?

2014 RT Limited Cognac ----- Wraps, skid plate, lights, Elkas
    2002 harley ultra classic
    2008 hayabusa

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by warp10 View Post
    how many 2014's did Pitbull have there?
    ONE 14, and i got it, he has several more coming in next week

Spyder Garage

Default Thank you joe!!

Quote Originally Posted by Cruzr Joe View Post

Well ............................... 120 Mile ride (City Streets, Highway and in the Mountains) today in 58 - 60 degree weather, Samewok came by and we headed to Hot Springs Arkansas to see Spyderpops (Harvey).

I had a 2012, 2013 and now a 2014 and while i enjoyed the previous two, the ride on the 14 is drasticaly different, the shifting is so smooth and quiet that you hardly know you've changed gears, the bike is quieter also, the muffler and engine noise is different (more mello), you can hear the music better than before because of the lower sounds from the Spyder. The lower torque feels very responsive in every gear, the transmission automicaly drops back to the next lower gear as before but only when you are stopping, not for slowing down.

The new engine is fast and very responsive as you go through the gears, the biggest change i noticed is from 1st to 2nd, previously you had to get to a certain speed and rpm to change, not anymore, change when you get ready, i used the eco mode but it seemed to be less responsive so i quit using it , maybe later.

NO HEAT, nuff said

Probably need the sway bar upgrade, ordered mine today, got the links ordered also, and the 3rd & 4th Brakelight, and the Mirror Turn signals, working on getting a new bumpskid to protect the front end.

The new radiator air inlets are trash collectors, bugs, leaves, small pieces of paper, etc. no problem just an observation

The new seat has more cush for the tush.

Shocks appear to be a little better than previous

Black is a hard color to keep clean.

No vibration at any speed.

Brakes, steering etc appear to be the same all good

After 120 Miles i still had between a 1/4 to a 1/2 of fuel, thats GOOD, previously 120 and i was really hunting a gas station

I have no complaints, here are some differences i observed

No styrofoam caddy in the glove box

No automatic Frunk Release

Oil Dipstick under seat now

Tool Kit no longer has a air gauge

No Chrome on RTS it's either Black or ?? Brushed Aluminum

Seconday Battery Terminals Gone (maybe they forgot them on mine )

More to follow as i find it or can't find it

Cruzr Joe
    For the great and timely report! I can't wait to compare notes! Was it worth the long wait? Sounds like it!!!
    Ronbo

Spyder Garage

Thank you for your report on the new 2014.

One question. Seat: More cush for the tush. Are you saying more or less support than previous? I found the OEM on my 2010 and 2011 way to soft. After 50 miles I was ready to get off. Thanks.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    Thank you for your report on the new 2014.

One question. Seat: More cush for the tush. Are you saying more or less support than previous? I found the OEM on my 2010 and 2011 way to soft. After 50 miles I was ready to get off. Thanks.
    a little more padding

Spyder Garage

Default Thanks Joe, great ride report!!

I agree with everything that you said. I only had the 2013, but comparing it to the 2014 is just as you say, entirely different experience. I don't know about the battery things that you speak about, but I never knew that my 2013 had a connection for a battery tender, but the 2014 is visible hanging in the Frunk between the zipper liner. A friend told me that my 2013 had the same thing but was hidden behind the liner. I could not be any more pleased with my new Spyder.

Now get that retirement started so you can have time for more Miles of Smiles!!!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Cruzr Joe View Post

The lower torque feels very responsive in every gear, the transmission automicaly drops back to the next lower gear as before but only when you are stopping, not for slowing down.

e
    My experience was that it will does down shift automatically when you slow down. The manual indicates that there is a set speed /rpm before it allow you to upshift to 2nd.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Default .? Re shocks

Len had video on FB....showing replacing stock shocks with Elkas. It was a black '14. Yours? You state in initial review shocks acceptable. I put Elkas on my '10 but if not warranted on '14 ???? Definitely appreciate your review. Thanks
    My Motto Is:
    Live my life in such a way that when my feet hit the floor in the morning...Satan shudders & says "Oh, crap, SHE'S awake!"

Red Stallion: 2016 F3t SE6 (from Pitbull PowerSports/ Springfield, MO)
    White Knight: 2014 RTS SE6 and matching 622 trailer (from Pitbull
    PowerSports/ Springfield, MO)
    Ms Spydee: 2010 RT SE5

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by murphybrown View Post
    Len had video on FB....showing replacing stock shocks with Elkas. It was a black '14. Yours? You state in initial review shocks acceptable. I put Elkas on my '10 but if not warranted on '14 ???? Definitely appreciate your review. Thanks

That was my 14 but he did not put Elka's on it, i think he was just playing around

I like these shocks

Cruzr Joe

Spyder Garage

Default Very nice..!!

review. Thanks for that. Many are waiting for known people to give views and reviews and this one counts big..!!
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Rich Otto

Congrates Joe you waited about 3month for it. Enjoy Your new ride, I will see you at Spyder Feast. Your friend Rich Otto. MO Gang

Spyder Garage

You forgot about the laser alignment you wanted.
    4" Stubby antenna, Dual arm LEDs Fender LEDs, Back Rest, Luggage Rack, Run, Brake and Strobe for top case, Mirror LEDs,Back Off decal on mud flap, reciptal for Battery Tender and Heated Gear, mirror LEDs that stay on or work with blinkers, GPS, side bag red LEDs, Top cuff with Ram Ball phone holder And USB power, Top cuff with drink holder and passenger cup holder. Also grilles in front of radiators, also spyclops. Garmin 595 GPS, Freedom windshield. Also glove box console And trunk wrap in carbon fiber from wrap my spyder. BRP comfort seat. added garage opener with rocker switch in center console to match other switches. And I have added Elka stage 2 shocks.
    15 rt , yes Black

Spyder Garage

Very good information! Thanks!

Spyder Garage

Timeless black? Never owned a black vehicle, never will.

Hard to keep clean, exactly!

I know some swear by black and I'm glad you are happy w it.

I have never got the black thing? To hard to keep clean and always looks dirty?

i don't even like black interiors on cars because they always look dirty.

I just don't get it, guess I'm just more practical, and like a clean look.

Just stating a personal preference, hope you enjoy it......and cleaning it.

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the update . . . sounds like you are in for some serious fun!

"Topper" is my Pearl White 2013 RT-LTD

Professional Retiree - liked it so much when I retired from the USAF, that I started another career so I could do it again!

Happy to be a member of the Maryland Spyder Web - find us at

http://www.meetup.com/MarylandSpyderWeb/

2013 RT Limited , White (the fastest color!)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thanks for your analysis. It sounds like they made several nice improvements. I love the black. Hard to keep clean but imho the best looking color on a vehicle when it is clean. Enjoy
    Love my

Statistics show that most motorcycle accidents are caused by a defective nut holding the handlbars.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SNOOPY View Post
    Timeless black? Never owned a black vehicle, never will.

Hard to keep clean, exactly!

I know some swear by black and I'm glad you are happy w it.

I have never got the black thing? To hard to keep clean and always looks dirty?

i don't even like black interiors on cars because they always look dirty.

I just don't get it, guess I'm just more practical, and like a clean look.

Just stating a personal preference, hope you enjoy it......and cleaning it.

In my opinion, there is nothing prettier than a clean and shiny black vehicle. I've owned many and even a timeless black Spyder (which was beautiful).
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Since there isn't a second set of battery connectors, will you hookup the battery tender thru the power outlet in the trunk?
    2014 Timeless Black RTS/SE - BRP CB/Comm System; BRP Zumo 660 GPS System; BRP Cellphone Interface; BRP ST-1 Helmets w/BRP Headsets; BRP XM Radio; BRP Tri-Axis Handlebars; BRP Adj Wind Deflectors; BRP Adj Vent Windshield; BRP Comfort Seat & Utopia Backrest; Corbin Armrests; HMT Brake Light; TricLED 3/4 Brake & Running Lights; TricLED Fender Lights & Rr Cargo Lights; CD Fender TIPS Kit; Bump Skid; Scorpio i900 Alarm; Touratech GPS Locking Mount; NBV Highway Mounts; BBP Brake Pedal, Stebel horn.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by stevedfive View Post
    Since there isn't a second set of battery connectors, will you hookup the battery tender thru the power outlet in the trunk?
    No, connected the other end of the Battery Tender Jr directly to the battery and charge it that way, a quick connect setup, seems to be ok.

Cruzr Joe

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the report...............can't wait to see and hear them in person!

Spyder: 2011 RT Limited w/ RT-622 trailer
    Mods: ESI Brightsides, RT Rear Brightsides, HMT Brake Light, Scuff Guards, Utopia Backrest, Chrome, and more Chrome, Pearl White Rear View Mirrors, Rear Fender, and Dashboard, Black Rear Wheel and Belt Assy, SpyderPops Heat Shields & Bump Skid, Elka Stage 1+ Shocks, 2012 SF Graphics, Silver Carbonfiber Dash, Corbin Arm Rests, Baker A.W., BRP Vented WindShield. BR's Sway Bar, Tricled White Halo Lights, BadBoy Air Horn, Spyder Legs Floor Boards

Spyder Garage

Default very interesting

report, thanks, i figured they had to do a much better job than they did on the 13's so it is really good to hear a great report. as far as the inlets for the radiators do you think at slow speeds and at stops that if the fans come on in reverse if they will blow most of the leaves and junk back out of the radiator
    NO BIKE AT THIS TIME

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Joe,

Can you tell us what length screws you needed for those adjustable deflectors?
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Is the turn signal off switch any better than on previous models? Hopefully you got one that works as it should.

I lived with a crappy one til it finally malfunctioned and the replacement works great.
    Two Wheelers from 1963-2011

Three Wheelers:
    2011 RT(Red)
    2014 RT(white)
    2016 F3T(red)
    2022 RT current ride(silver)