Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Need some advice

We are newer Spyder ryders (since June 2013).
    Had a major scare on Christmas. We were ryding our 2009 RS. Had been riding for a few hours in 80 degree California freeway traffic. My wife and best friend of 33 years passed out on the bike on the freeway at 70 MPH. GOD enabled me to reach back and keep her on the bike long enough to pull into the center median. The guy who pulled over to help said her head was 2 inches from the pavement when I grabbed her. Here is the problem - I want to sell the Spyder and the wife wants to keep it. I do not ever want to take the chance of losing her again. We are going to put arm rests on. How do I get pass this fear and get back to enjoying the ryde. We were riding at least one day of every weekend before this happened. Thank you in advance for your help.

Hemet Spyder

Spyder Garage

My first reaction would be to have her checked out medically to see what the cause was. Don't forget to hydrate and keep electrolyte levels up.

At the very least I would add a backrest. Personally though, I would trade it for an RT. Much more back sport than the add on for the RS. The RT with armrests should hold a person on well in the event it happens again.

Just my thoughts on it.
    2017 Can Am Commander Limited
    2012 Cadillac CTS-V Black Diamond
    2020 F3 Limited Magma Red (miss the 2011 Viper red)
    2010 RT622 - Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Hemet Spyder View Post
    We are newer Spyder ryders (since June 2013).
    Had a major scare on Christmas. We were ryding our 2009 RS. Had been riding for a few hours in 80 degree California freeway traffic. My wife and best friend of 33 years passed out on the bike on the freeway at 70 MPH. GOD enabled me to reach back and keep her on the bike long enough to pull into the center median. The guy who pulled over to help said her head was 2 inches from the pavement when I grabbed her. Here is the problem - I want to sell the Spyder and the wife wants to keep it. I do not ever want to take the chance of losing her again. We are going to put arm rests on. How do I get pass this fear and get back to enjoying the ryde. We were riding at least one day of every weekend before this happened. Thank you in advance for your help.

Hemet Spyder
    Sorry I left out some information.
    The paramedics determined she was dehydrated. We have a back rest on the trike. We have a Cardo system that was cutting in and out the entire day. She has never passed out before ever. We would love to have a RT but we bought what we could afford. We are slowly making the RS into a cruiser style.

Hemet Sypder
    Last edited by Hemet Spyder; 01-08-2014 at 10:04 AM.

Spyder Garage

First off, I am in agreement that God intervened in your incident & join you in giving thanks.

You didn't say anything about the cause of your wife's passing out. It would seem to me that to address that disorder would be the first thing to do, regardless of riding again or not. When that condition is corrected, and with a doctor's OK, you might consider shorter trips. Also, discuss with your wife any symptoms she felt prior to passing out. Make those symptoms a warning to her to notify you of a problem.

The arm rests could be a help. I've had numerous passengers sleep while riding my Goldwings, but have never had any lean in a way that put them at risk of falling off. Of course, on a two wheeler, I'm more sensitive to shifting loads from one side to the other, so a passenger leaning would be more apparent.
    Mark & Mary Lou Lawson
    Snellville, GA USA
    '10 RT-S PE #0031
    '10 RT-622 Trailer
    '08 Yellow SM5 #2332
    '01 Black GL1800A Goldwing #0930

"Remember in the darkness what you have learned in the light." - Joe Bayly

Spyder Garage

I agree, have your wife checked out first before you go on another ride. Maybe more serious then you think. If all is well, I would think about trading up to an RT.

Good luck.

Spyder Garage

Default Scary But Surmountable

Since there is no continuing medical condition, thank goodness, with your lovely wife then address the problem that caused it and HYDRATE!!! Totally understand your mind set but if you guys love to ride just be mindful to drink at every stop while riding in hot weather. While riding in Idaho in 100 degree heat two summers ago, I began to feel "funny" and stopped at the first store we came to, drank gator aid, and had to sit on the floor before I started to feel better. And I was the driver!! Hydration is very important.

Spyder Garage

If dehydration is the reason your wife passed out I don't think it's that much cause for concern (not withstanding the obvious trauma of your incident).

Working for the fire department we had good, strong, physically fit young men pass out from dehydration. It was very rare as we were trained to keep hydrated, but it wasn't always possible.

Riding a motorcycle will dehydrate you quickly in dry weather at speed (regardless the temperature) unless you're wearing the right clothing. Even then, in heat, you need to take in plenty of water BEFORE you get thirsty. Especially if you are 'Stripped Down' to shorts, T-shirt, etc. You will actually be cooler and stay hydrated better if you wear a good set of mesh pants, jacket and a full face helmet (at speed). Though it is nearly impossible to convince anyone of this.

Once people have it in their head that less clothing is cooler, you're pretty much done.

I also would highly suggest getting an RT. But if that is not possible, arm rests will help a lot.

Bottom line. With the information you've given I wouldn't quit riding unless you just can't enjoy it anymore. You're wife is good with it so, if it were me, I'd get back in the saddle.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

The fact that your wife still wants to ride is a good thing. I would count this as a wakeup call and do the things to prevent this in the future like drinking water.

Spyder Garage

Many people do not realize how quickly a person becomes dehaydrated on a motorcycle. I have been around three serious incidents. I will only relate two here.
    One on a group ride for GWRRA, about 8 bikes, very hot out, A guy and his wife on a big scooter went straight at a curve. I was the only one with extra water on board. One person raised concerned about germs from my water to the people in the wreck. They got upset when I said, germs would be better then dying. No cell service where we were at.
    Second was coming back from a PGR Mission with a kind of new rider. We had intended to stop at a eating place at the edge of town. Only there was not one one. She was in front, but I passed her and we pulled over because I was ready for water. she said, she did not have any and was not thirsty. I asked if she had to go to the bathroom and she said, No. I demanded she drink one of my bottles or I would call the cops. She drank, probably a little upset. She called the next day to thank me. The more she thought about it, the scared she got. Another 5 miles and I would have passed out, she said.
    Op said, they had a water system, but it was not working right. I carry at least two Big bottles (old Gaterade) of water on all runs, one frozen in summer and one cold in a insulated lunch bag. More at any store
    Moral of all this. If you are not thirtsy, drink fluids, if you do not have a urge to go to the bathroom after a hour or so, drink more fluids. A a couple you must be able to tell the other you need water, do not be "brave" and wait. If you are with a group of bikes, the pre ride meeting should address this subject. Anybody needing water, the group stops a soon as safe. If you had not been thirsty or needed abathroom for a half hour or more, You are past the danger point. Fast approaching .....

It is your decision of course, I would suggest short rides with above infomation and liquid information to check it out.
    Good luck and safe riding
    Added. I gues there was several people adding the same time. so mine is kind of redunant. All are valid
    Last edited by Oldmanzues; 01-08-2014 at 11:20 AM. Reason: added a l;ine
    Very Happy Spyder Owner

Spyder Garage

Identify what you have control over and find peace with what you don't.

Spyder Garage

I am always surprised at the many folks that we ride with that do not carry water or some other liquid (gatorade etc) with them, on one ride i actualy gave water to 6 other riders who did not have any with them (i carry plenty of the eight ounce bottles with me).

Please for your own safety and the safety of others around you ....................... HYDRATE ............. and carry spare bottles of water.

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Hydratuion...
    armrests...
    a working intercom system...
    and a little bit more vigilence, will help to keep anything like this from happening again!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

now that every body here made clear that water is inportent ,the arm rests would be your next thing ,my wife loves them and they do a grate job keeping her secure on the bike.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Where'd you get them from?
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member cognaccruiser's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

If dehydration was the cause and not some other medical condition, then you have been given excellent advice by other respondents. We have learned that wearing good mesh gear and keeping covered up is much better than wearing less as BajaRon pointed out. We have ridden in some extreme heat and stopping to hydrate is absolutely necessary. My wife has fallen asleep numerous times on the back of our bikes and it does momentarily startle me. It is usually a sign that we need a break or a check to see if all is well. I have learned to talk into our headsets periodically just to check on her as we frequently go long distances in silence.

I think that all of us who have spouses that ride with us all worry about having an accident that will harm them. So your instinct is admirable but if you pull the spyder out from under your wife for something that is quite manageable while she wants to keep riding would be a mistake especially if you both really want to keep riding. She may feel penalized for something that you both need to address which is simply keeping hydrated. I think my wife would feel hurt if I imposed my will on her for something like that. Yours might too.

It is your choice and only the TWO of you should make that choice. Good luck with your decision.

Gary
    States visited by Bike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by napper39 View Post
    now that every body here made clear that water is inportent ,the arm rests would be your next thing ,my wife loves them and they do a grate job keeping her secure on the bike.
    Beautiful Solution to make you feel more comfortable!!

She never fainted in her life before the Dehydration Incident and Wants to continue riding!!!

Drink a 16 ounce water about 30 minutes before a ride and bring water in the front trunk.

I drink a 23 ounce bottle of water EVER morning while I sit (You Know Where) and read the paper?

2015 F3 sm6, Custom Dynamics fender lights.

Sea Doo GTI-SE 90 Jet Ski!!

Spyder Garage

the shock of this happening obviously toubles you, as it did me when i found out my wife had fallen asleep on the back of our rs.. while carol was having chemo treatments last year, she used to love to ride just to take her mind off the cancer, but her ability to fall asleep while riding scared the living out of me. we immediately bought scala's and i offered up the armrests, but she feels that she would feel trapped in by having those around her. we've been riding right up till the cold weather and manged to put another 6k on the bike this summer without incident. as others have mentioned, hydration is key and i think that was obviously your problem!! good luck, and safe riding !!!

Spyder Garage

Default There you go...!!

your headed in the right direction. Follow the advice above about hydrating. I would add only one other peice of advice..make more stops, stretch and walk around. Take in the sights along the way. Ten minutes here and there will keep you relaxed and alert especially on freeway drives. Even with intercom I always reach back and touch my wife and she reciprocates so we know we're good. Take it slow and you will both be back to your regular ryding...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I would advice a good medical check up for her. There might be other things other than dehydration. Ride safe and enjoy life to the fullest.
    2012 Spyder RT SE5 Brake pedal mod

Spyder Garage

Glad to hear things worked out all right. All of the advice about armrests, hydration, change to RT, etc. are all good. If you both still want to ride two up, those first couple rides may make you a bit scared. Make them easy and a bit shorter. Work your way back up to the comfort level you enjoyed previously. Wishing you both the best.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

As many have said, there are solutions and preventive measures...assuring you are both hydrated, having a thorough medical examination (not by a paramedic), backrest, armrests, and a good intercom system. That being said, what do you think would satisfy you and calm your fear. If these measures satisfy your wife but don't ease your mind, riding will never be the same. You need to search your soul, do a little praying for guidance, and if at all possible get on the horse again after taking some preventative measures. A few short rides, gradually increasing the distance, may get you breathing easier. Close calls always worry us (or should), but thinking things through and trying to work things out has a way of getting us back to where we started most of the time. Best of luck in your quest for peace of mind and the answers you seek.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

I grew up with horses. All kinds. Whenever one of us kids got bucked off the horse, Daddy would make us get back up on that horse and ride it again. At the time, I thought it was to teach the horse we weren't going to let them have the upper hand. But now I know the real lesson, if something knocks you down, get up, face your fears and ride on.

Your beloved is a good woman who wants to get back on the Spyder. Life is short, don't let a single incident control your future happiness.

And make sure y'all stay hydrated!
    Joy
    Very Happy Ryder...
    '09 Phantom and a '15 F3-S

If you don't slow down, they can't catch you..
    ​If you don't give up, they can't win.
    What a long strange journey its been.

Spyder Garage

I'm glad your bride is OK . . . consider a CamelBak . . . she can wear it and sip out of it, regularly . . . they are a great tool to prevent dehydration. A 3 liter CamelBak can be filled with ice, then Gatoraide or water in the summer and worn under her riding gear with the sip tube coming over her shoulder and clipped where it is convenient and easy for her to sip on. http://www.amazon.com/Army-Hydration-Water-Backpack-Black/dp/B008HUF4L0/ref=sr_1_3?s=outdoor-recreation&ie=UTF8&qid=1389231222&sr=1-3&keywords=camelback
    Last edited by Dan McNally; 01-08-2014 at 08:36 PM.

"Topper" is my Pearl White 2013 RT-LTD

Professional Retiree - liked it so much when I retired from the USAF, that I started another career so I could do it again!

Happy to be a member of the Maryland Spyder Web - find us at

http://www.meetup.com/MarylandSpyderWeb/

2013 RT Limited , White (the fastest color!)

Spyder Garage

Default Arm Rests

Some one spoke of arm rests and you said you're on a budget and couldn't afford an RT. This brought to mind a past post where someone took the armrests off a home computer chair and installed on their Roadster.. They looked great! cost around $10.00.

I am sorry I don't have any more information on this... Can someone help us out !!
    If it Feels Good, Do It !!

Too Much Is Just Enough !
    2011 RS~S Pure Magnesium / Black ~M~

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Glad to hear that everything worked out okay. There was an owner in Hawaii who had the same experience with his wife. She too was dehydrated and he caught her in the nick of time.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622