Spyder Garage

Default What would happen...if anything?

There is a shooting range in N. GA that I go to shoot at. There is point in the road where there is a stream crossing. The bottom is rough concrete where vehicles cross. For most of the year it is dry. But sometimes in the colder months there can be water as much as 6+ inches of it. It clear water so I think it's spring fed as it was on New Year's Day.
    So, what would happen if anything, if I were to drive the Spyder through this crossing very slow? Would the nanny have a problem? I know to avoid large puddles when it is raining as I'm cruising along.
    Thanks!

Spyder Garage

For 20 large the damn Spyder better not complaint too much. Carry a little momentum (notice the key word "little" and keep straight). You should be on the otherside before you know it. Sensor reads the spin rate of the wheels. If the low point is in the middle and that's where you stopped .... LOL you better have a buddy to help you push it back out because it will just sit there and spin.
    Silver SM5 PE# 1274, Hindle Exhaust, Touring Windshield, Caliper Trim, B.E.S.T. 3 Year Ext, Nuvi 255 GPS, Fog Lights, Sport Rack, Back Rest, 12V Outlet, Talon 3300p Alarm, NMN Mud Flap and TipZ LEDs, SpyderLovers Emblems, Kuryakyn Widow Pegs and Axel Trim, Luimoto seat skin, Evo Air Filter and O2 Mod, Cranker Tank Bag, Blue Sea fuse block, MAD/AMS/MBG, Oddyssey battery, IPS.

Service Bulletin Applied: Gen II parking brake, 2nd SW patch, evap can/hose update, Gen II DPS

Spyder Garage

I wouldn't have a problem with it. Riding in heavy rain at 70 mph for a few hours certainly will get more things soaking wet than running a few feet through 6" of water at a slow speed. The only hesitation I would have is if the water were running fast.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default creek crossing

last year we were riding around cape may nj on the back roads when we came across a flooded low point on the road. two Harleys and a Goldwing were in front of us, about 8 to 10 inches of water. one Harley and the Goldwing took it easy, the other Harley was a little over zealous, he stalled out, I was following him, the spyder threw a wake {just like a boat } and soaked the guy down. the brakes were wet, other than that no problem, I did have to wash the salt water off after the ride.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by frenchek View Post
    last year we were riding around cape may nj on the back roads when we came across a flooded low point on the road. two Harleys and a Goldwing were in front of us, about 8 to 10 inches of water. one Harley and the Goldwing took it easy, the other Harley was a little over zealous, he stalled out, I was following him, the spyder threw a wake {just like a boat } and soaked the guy down. the brakes were wet, other than that no problem, I did have to wash the salt water off after the ride.
    Did you install a propeller on the back of your Spyder?
    Dan

2012 Viper Red Rt
    upgrades:
    Baja Ron's Anti-Sway
    Diamond-R Arm Rests
    Gloriders
    High mount brake light
    chrome front fender garnish
    Bad Boy Horn
    Chrome Deflector Rack
    Chrome Scuff Nose Accent
    Handlebar Grip Fringe
    Gremlin Bells

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Ron is right; all day in the rain didn't upset the applecart; why would a short swim?
    The key is to NOT lose traction, and avoid strong cross-currents!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

You say it's 6 inches, but didn't mention if it was moving?

Moving can end up very bad.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

...Particularly with only about four and a-half inches of ground clearance!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I can't say that I've been through 6 inch deep water but I know I've been close to that depth. No problems at all but the water wasn't flowing very fast. At 6 inches deep and fast-flowing, I might be a little concerned because of the RT's slight ground clearance. I wouldn't worry at all about anything getting wet except brakes and I would dry them out by riding them a bit just as I would any bike or a cage.

Cotton

Spyder Garage

Default Should work..!!

wet brakes no problem the only thing to watch is the exhaust pipe. If under water you have to keep revs up to avoid blocking pipe or sucking water up pipe. Hard to do on the automatics...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

The water moves but not that bad. I would go in at an angle heading slightly up stream.
    Thanks for the input.

I'm planning to see where the source is located. There could be a cave there? Thus my user name on this website. The 'E' is pronounced, it's just not there.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Have fun exploring!

Spyder Garage

Where in N. Georgia? I live in Dalton.

Marty