Thread: BATTERY HELP

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default BATTERY HELP

2010 RS NEW BATTERY PUT ON IN MAY 2013. PARKED IN GARAGE FOR THE WINTER. LAST STARTED 2 MONTHS AGO. AND NO I DID NOT HAVE A TRICKLE CHARGER ON IT. TRIED TO START, 1 TURN THEN NOTHING..PUT CHARGER ON IT AND SAME THING. CHARGED ON 2AMP OVER NIGHT..SAME THING, PARTIAL TURN OVER & NOTHING. ALL LIGHTS-ETC COME ON BRIGHT.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jabe View Post
    2010 RS NEW BATTERY PUT ON IN MAY 2013. PARKED IN GARAGE FOR THE WINTER. LAST STARTED 2 MONTHS AGO. AND NO I DID NOT HAVE A TRICKLE CHARGER ON IT. TRIED TO START, 1 TURN THEN NOTHING..PUT CHARGER ON IT AND SAME THING. CHARGED ON 2AMP OVER NIGHT..SAME THING, PARTIAL TURN OVER & NOTHING. ALL LIGHTS-ETC COME ON BRIGHT.
    I recommend removing the battery and either putting it on a deep cycle charger or taking it to a shop that has one. When a battery is allowed to fully discharge like that it can be very difficult to recover it. If it doesn't come back to life only option is buying a new one. I have brought back some batteries before at my shop and it can take up to 3-4 days to fully bring one back sometimes. Give it a shot, may be worth it to save $200 on a new one

Spyder Garage

Post maybe..

time to get out that old voltmeter. could be that you have a dead cell in the battery, although it's new, it's not uncommon. in a dead cell- it would show a full battery until you hit the start switch
    and then baam drops voltage fast. but, could also be other factors aswell like starter or loose connections on battery. a lot of people has commented on loose battery connections .try to look at this
    first. good luck!
    '' RIDE -WINE - DINE LIKE ITS YOUR LAST DAY- SO MAKE IT COUNT DAILY''
    2013 ram 1500 RT HEMI 405 Hp
    2012 spyder RT + cat-bypass, mod muffler, PCV + auto tune, HID headlight n foggers, seal floorboards, LED's every where, supercharged ..not!
    2012 Fiat c500 conv.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisCFPS View Post
    I recommend removing the battery and either putting it on a deep cycle charger or taking it to a shop that has one. When a battery is allowed to fully discharge like that it can be very difficult to recover it. If it doesn't come back to life only option is buying a new one. I have brought back some batteries before at my shop and it can take up to 3-4 days to fully bring one back sometimes. Give it a shot, may be worth it to save $200 on a new one
    Listen to the man, he knows what he is talking about.

Spyder Garage

Default but most importantly

Quote Originally Posted by Frank G View Post
    Listen to the man, he knows what he is talking about.
    what caused the drain in the first place , that's why you would need a voltmeter and start checking. otherwise problem would still be there. I know from hands on experience!...still learning though.
    2012 spyder RT + cat-bypass, mod muffler, PCV + auto tune, HID headlight n foggers, seal floorboards, LED's every where, supercharged ..not!
    2012 Fiat c500 conv.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

My comments were targeted to the reviving of a dead battery. Finding the source of the initial battery drain is another issue. could be bike related or an internal battery issue. If the battery comes back to life and passes battery testing then there may be a bike issue.

Had a similar battery incident in the Piper Aztec this last summer, took 3 days to revive the battery...Oh we left some cooling equipment on that drained the battery.

Spyder Garage

Agree..why did you change the battery in the first place..? Check all connections battery and frame. Then check battery. Load test charge.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 2
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Cool its all good here!

Quote Originally Posted by Frank G View Post
    My comments were targeted to the reviving of a dead battery. Finding the source of the initial battery drain is another issue. could be bike related or an internal battery issue. If the battery comes back to life and passes battery testing then there may be a bike issue.

Had a similar battery incident in the Piper Aztec this last summer, took 3 days to revive the battery...Oh we left some cooling equipment on that drained the battery.
    its kool Frank, just my way of trying to help. no way was I trying to demean your comment. we are all good people here on this forum...cheers.
    2012 Fiat c500 conv.

Spyder Garage

Mine gets discharged in a few months as well but I have a bunch of stuff hooked directly to a seperate fuse block / battery. I think one time I found the 12V adopter to my GPS was lit in the frunk. So I keep mine trickle charged if I am not going to ride it for a while and over winter. I also switched over to the gel battery.

BTW ... if it won't take charge, it is likely having a short inside the battery itself (that's why I always buy high quality AGM batteries). If you only bought it in 2013, it should still be under warrenty.
    Silver SM5 PE# 1274, Hindle Exhaust, Touring Windshield, Caliper Trim, B.E.S.T. 3 Year Ext, Nuvi 255 GPS, Fog Lights, Sport Rack, Back Rest, 12V Outlet, Talon 3300p Alarm, NMN Mud Flap and TipZ LEDs, SpyderLovers Emblems, Kuryakyn Widow Pegs and Axel Trim, Luimoto seat skin, Evo Air Filter and O2 Mod, Cranker Tank Bag, Blue Sea fuse block, MAD/AMS/MBG, Oddyssey battery, IPS.

Service Bulletin Applied: Gen II parking brake, 2nd SW patch, evap can/hose update, Gen II DPS

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by crazyspyder View Post
    what caused the drain in the first place , that's why you would need a voltmeter and start checking. otherwise problem would still be there. I know from hands on experience!...still learning though.
    I agree, wana find if there is an issue that's causing it to die prematurely or if there is another issue. Loose battery connections would be one of the most common things I have seen that make it look like the battery is dead when its not. The other thing to note is the improvements that BRP made to the 2104 RT's charging system. Its now an alternator system that puts out twice as much charging voltage than previous years with a stator. Some of the add ons that people install are too much for the stator to keep up with. They didn't design it to run all of the on board computers plus the farkles.
    One other factor is who prepped the battery and what brand did you get. When it comes to batteries the motto "you get what you pay for" definitely applies. If it wasn't prepped properly then you were doomed from the beginning. If it's a Yuasa take it back to where you bought it and they may be able to warranty it. I would leave out the "no battery tender" part tho.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

i went with a Shoral

here's a start for other ideas http://www.batterystuff.com/batterie...er-brp-can-am/