Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Spyder Garage

Default Dongle cable

Quote Originally Posted by finless View Post
    The instructions to make the cable WORK.... There is no "I Know will work".
    Seriously the cable is 5 wires:
    +12
    Gnd
    Audio left
    Audio right
    Audio common.

Even the dongle comes with the 3 ring earphone jack to the radio common to a simple cable you can buy at radio shack!!!

This is crertainly not rocket science and with the fact you can order the radio side connectors that plug into the radio (as described in my post and are common off the shelf parts) it would take all of about 10 minutes to make the cable!!!!
    Trust me... you will spend far MORE time than that removing all the tupperware to install the BRP one per spec! Also your going to hate having the SM10 in the Frunk! So even if you did buy the BRP setup, do yourself a favor and install it in the trunk.

Honestly and not trying to slam anyone, but it amazes me that some would spend that kind of money for a cable that really cost BRP probably 50 cents to make. If they would sell the cable separately we would not be having a "make your own" thread. But they wont! Why? Because they want to rip you off and make a 400% markup on something you can buy off the shelf.
    Sorry to rant but that is why I made my own cable. It's just too stupid have that kind of markup.

I tell you what... ANYONE that wants me to make them a cable, order the connector parts from that post and have them shipped to me. I will make a cable for you for free! You pay shipping of the completed cable is all I ask. In other words no out of pocket expense for me just my 10 minutes of labor.

Bob
    Bob I would like you to make me a cable, what materials do I need to get to you? thanks whiteyron

Spyder Garage

My bet is you can in fact get the BT dongle and CB working. BRP just did not make a y-harness to do it. I would need to see picture of the harness connector that plugs into the radio to be sure. I bet the BT pins are not used for the comm harness and thus by putting the pins in yourself it would work. But so you know you can use the CB through the sena sm10.

Whiteyron, I responded to you pm. Sure I will make you a cable.

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Bought June 2013 with 450 miles. 27K on 8-1-2017.
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by finless View Post
    But so you know you can use the CB through the sena sm10. Bob

I do not believe you are correct on this one. The Sena SM10 is a stereo dual streaming one way device. So there is no path for the headset mic input to go to the CB unit. Unless you are thinking of a way that I am not considering. To do what you are saying I believe you need to use a Sena SR10 which is a mono single stream two way device.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by billybovine View Post
    I do not believe you are correct on this one. The Sena SM10 is a stereo dual streaming one way device. So there is no path for the headset mic input to go to the CB unit. Unless you are thinking of a way that I am not considering. To do what you are saying I believe you need to use a Sena SR10 which is a mono single stream two way device.
    Yep SR10 but you still need the entertainment/comm harness too so the CB settings show up on the cluster display and ppt button works.
    BRP won't let you have the entertainment/comm harness and the BT cable plugged into the radio at the same time. I am saying I bet you can do that by putting the BT wires into the entertainment harness plug at the radio.

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Bought June 2013 with 450 miles. 27K on 8-1-2017.
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Spyder Garage

Question new guy

Quote Originally Posted by Copperman View Post
    This is pretty confusing. After talking with Dave (Motorcycle Dave) I learned that you need the Sena SM10 Dual Stream Bluetooth® Stereo Transmitter and a special cable (that only BRP sells) to be able to hear your radio through your bluetooth headset on your 2013 RT & ST Limited. The cable Billybovine talks of works only on the 2012 and earlier Spyders.

I did some shopping around and learned that you can get the "Bluetooth Dongle for Audio System" (made for BRP by Sena), part number 219400458, for the 2013 RT & ST for $214.95 (MSRP is $249.99) from Bert's Mega Mall (ask for Daniel in Parts). That price includes free shipping and no sales tax if you're not in California.

Bert's is a sponsor here and offers a 15% discount on parts for Spyderlovers members.

I hope this helps. Does anyone know where you can get this item for less?
    im still confused why doesn't the i-pod cable that came with my 2013 sts limited work my i-pod i have to buy a Dongle ?this may sound stupid but whats a dongle?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by br79z View Post
    im still confused why doesn't the i-pod cable that came with my 2013 sts limited work my i-pod i have to buy a Dongle ?this may sound stupid but whats a dongle?
    It does work. The sound will come out the dash speakers. If that is what you want then you are done.

This thread is about installing the dongle. With it installed you will hear everything that your radio plays in your helmet headset and not your dash speaker. If that is what you want.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

One short note: only the 2013 and the 2014 come standard with the entertainment harness. 2012 and earlier require that you purchase the entertainment harness when adding BRP dongle, XM, CB etc.

I use a Zumo 665 and listen in stereo to XM, Weather, Traffic etc. No dongle boggle required. All control is on the 665 not the handle bar.

Jack
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jaherbst View Post
    One short note: only the 2013 and the 2014 come standard with the entertainment harness. 2012 and earlier require that you purchase the entertainment harness when adding BRP dongle, XM, CB etc.
    I'm sorry but you are incorrect. 2013 & 2014 do not come with the entertainment harness standard. If you wish to add XM or CB you will have to buy the entertainment harness, no matter the year. The BT dongle will work with or without the entertainment harness. An extra adapter comes in the kit if you don't have the entertainment harness. BT dongle is not compatible with the CB. So you can't have both.

You may be confused with the GPS harness/adapter that is no longer needed for 2013 & 2014. It is now just part of the main radio harness.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

I installed a BT Dongle on my 2014 RT Limited so I could hear the Ipod or radio along with the GPS voice directions in my helmet. My smartphone pairs with the GPS so I can use my phone also throw my headset. I can voice activate the call or dial it on the GPS. I had CB on the Harley but never used it. Don't see me being interested in that. I might add Sirius/XM at some point but I have to buy the entire kit including the harness to tie it in to my BT.