Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default AIR IN REAR SHOCK

[SIZE=5
    Ok I have a question:I have a 2012 RT that just hit 4000 miles.How often should I have to put air in my rear shock..I feel like when I put air in the rear shock that it's not holding air long enough.??
    Thanks
    Chuck

Spyder Garage

Chuck, do you have the RTS?

USAF '69-'89 E7
    Thailand/Vietnam 1972
    Member: Royal Order of Rat Bastards

Spyder Garage

No matter what model you have, it should hold air well, although for the standard RT and A&C the system may lose some pressure with temperature changes. For the RTS and LTD the pressure means nothing, as the system depends on ride height, but it shouldnever drop below 10 pounds. The way to test the system for leaks is to charge to a known pressure or read the pressure after turning the RTS or LTD mmodels off, then check again in the morning. You might lose a pound or two due to checking the pressure and due to temperature changes, but it should stay pretty steady. If it does not, you have a leak. The first place to look for a leak is at the valve core in the Schrader valve. It can be tested with a dab of spit or soapy water. Tighten with a valve core wrench from the automotive department or replace the core if needed. Beyond that it could be the piping, the release solenoid in the RTS or LTD, or a bad air bag. The air bag will not be warranteed by most dealers. Unfortunately, leaks elsewhere can damage them if they are ridden long without air.
    Last edited by NancysToy; 01-04-2014 at 10:02 PM.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Agreed, there isn't all that much volume of air in the bag so the pressure can vary a decent amount, especially when the temps drop. I lose a pound or two just checking it with a gauge. The pressure isn't over critical as long as its close.

Sent from my Venue 8 3830 using Tapatalk

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Air

Quote Originally Posted by bruiser View Post
    Chuck, do you have the RTS?
    I have the 2012 RT.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RidersInChrist View Post
    I have the 2012 RT.
    Sounds like you have the base model RT which simply has a rear airbag with schraeder valve under the seat. (The base model has no analog gauges above the front speakers) Other RT models have an auto inflation/deflation system and are a bit more complex to troubleshoot. If you're checking using the tire valve under the seat and only seem to be losing a couple of pounds, not a big deal. There is such a small volume of air in this system that simply checking will knock off a couple of pounds each time. If you're seeing more air loss than that, inflate it, and hit the valve, connectors and bag with soapy water and look for bubbles. Check tightness on valve. Good luck.
    2012 Spyder RT