Spyder Garage

Default The Alamo Spyder rides at last !

I just got back from picking up my and taking her for her inaugural ride. She is a sweet little ride....did I say "she"? Guess I've determined her gender

Between the dealer taking forever to get the paper plates on it and do my official "walk around" I was able to get a quick 40 miles in before a late dinner and home.

Initial impressions is that it is going to ride hot. I've been watching all of your comments and down here in South Texas on a 95+ day with high humidity sitting in stop and go traffic I hit 6 and I would swear 7 bars. Once up to highway speed it would drop down to 4 but then bounce back and forth between 4 and 5. Will pay particular attention to any solutions for cooling. I guess those Canadian engineers figured it would feel great in winter but hadn't figured on Texas or Florida heat

I also must have missed the discussion but I would have sworn that I thought the front trunk could hold two full face helmets. How about one and a pair of gloves? Must investigate saddle bags.

Anyway, I've been mostly lurking here for about two months waiting for my baby and now she's here. Can't wait to begin riding and spending more money. Thanks for all the advice as I was able to know as much as the dealer did (maybe more).

More to come. Tony
    San Antonio, TX - 2014 RT-S Yellow (of course). Added BRP driver backrest to stock seat. Need to solve Blutooth and iPhone 5S integration problems next.

Former owner of a yellow 2008 Spyder, Cal Sci windshield, Crampbusters, KewlMetal mirror extensions, NoMagicNeon 4" risers, Corbin Seats and dual backrests. Happy Spyder Owner

Spyder Garage

welcome
    Caution:When you argue with an idiot,You have to lower your standards and then you get beat by their experience

Spyder Garage

welcome
    ata = allergic to asphalt

My mods: https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...ead.php?t=5753
    There are two kinds of people: (1) those who can read, reason and apply the experiences of others; and (2) those who just have to pee on the electric fence. ataDude, 2009

My Spyder:

Spyder Garage

welcome
    Welcome to Heaven! It just keeps getting better every day

pzim

Spyder Garage

now all you need is some Spyder Bucks for all those questions you'll be answering.

Spyder Garage

Talking

welcome

GO SPYDER BUCKS

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by trm17118 View Post
    ...Can't wait to begin...spending more money...

It's official, then, Tony.

You're one of us.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Welcome aboard.

Spyder Garage

Default My first "rock star" moment

Quote Originally Posted by Lamonster View Post
    now all you need is some Spyder Bucks for all those questions you'll be answering.

You are right! Rode in to work this morning for the first time and a lady followed me the last mile or so and up three levels in the parking garage just to ask me what it, who makes it (you know the standard questions)... Wound up talking with her for 10 minutes while she took pictures.

Lesson: Don't buy one if you're not ready to talk about it !
    San Antonio, TX - 2014 RT-S Yellow (of course). Added BRP driver backrest to stock seat. Need to solve Blutooth and iPhone 5S integration problems next.

Former owner of a yellow 2008 Spyder, Cal Sci windshield, Crampbusters, KewlMetal mirror extensions, NoMagicNeon 4" risers, Corbin Seats and dual backrests. Happy Spyder Owner

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Congrats Tony,
    Christel put her 650 miles on within the first 2 weeks and we got the 1st service done at S&S in Lytle (didn't see Abe Garcia while we were there). We did an American Legion ride that weekend and she now has over 1K mi. We are in NE SA and ride hill country every weekend. Additionally, I ride a Goldwing CSC trike.
    Brian

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I just got back from picking up my and taking her for her inaugural ride. She is a sweet little ride....Initial impressions is that it is going to ride hot...on a 95+ day with high humidity sitting in stop and go traffic I hit 6 and I would swear 7 bars.
    First, CONGRATS! You're gonna love ryding "her."

Second, I would be very careful about sitting in traffic during the break in. Your engine is very tight until all the parts wear into each other. That means the friction on all those tight parts will make more heat now than after break in.

Page 8 of your SOG reads (in part):

– If the cooling fan operates continuously during stop and go traffic, pull over and shut off the engine to let it cool off or speed up to let air cool off the engine.

Personally, I would try to avoid any situation where the cooling fan comes on AT ALL during break in.

Good luck and have fun!

Regards,

Mark

Spyder Garage

Lesson: Don't buy one if you're not ready to talk about it !

It certainly isn't the bike to buy if you're not a people person. I think I've had my picture taken more in the 2 1/2 weeks I've owned mine then in the last 2 1/2 years.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderMark View Post
    First, CONGRATS! You're gonna love ryding "her."

Second, I would be very careful about sitting in traffic during the break in. Your engine is very tight until all the parts wear into each other. That means the friction on all those tight parts will make more heat now than after break in.

Page 8 of your SOG reads (in part):

– If the cooling fan operates continuously during stop and go traffic, pull over and shut off the engine to let it cool off or speed up to let air cool off the engine.

Personally, I would try to avoid any situation where the cooling fan comes on AT ALL during break in.

Good luck and have fun!

Regards,

Mark
    Mark

Great advice, thanks. We left the dealer last night it was almost 7 PM so we thought for sure the rush hour traffic was done but anyone familiar with San Antonio is familiar with the northbound 281 traffic which is the closest gateway to the Hill Country to my house, sucks but we didn't know it would still be bad at 7 PM. Good thing we only sat through 3 lights with some good 50 MPH spurts in between. Hopefully, I didn't do any damage.

I'll try to make sure all rides during break in are obstruction free and able to keep the speed up and the throttle settings varied. This thing is too nice and deserves the best treatment.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bigbh55 View Post
    Congrats Tony,
    Christel put her 650 miles on within the first 2 weeks and we got the 1st service done at S&S in Lytle (didn't see Abe Garcia while we were there). We did an American Legion ride that weekend and she now has over 1K mi. We are in NE SA and ride hill country every weekend. Additionally, I ride a Goldwing CSC trike.
    Brian
    Brian. Good to know there are more lovers in San Antonio. Also met another guy on Can Am Talk. Once I get some miles on it, we'll have to organize a ride. This weekend, the Wife-L-Unit and I will take our first relatively long ride to Pflugerville (north of Austin) and back.

Keep posting and watching. Tony

Registered Users The_Spyderwoman's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default WELCOME

welcome I have a sis in New Braunfels... drive by and show her how good we look!!! My hubby and I plan on taking a trip to San Antonio to see her....next year. I got my spyder on May 31st I have over 2000 miles on it. Worst thing is getting gas.......takes about 30 minutes to fill up. 5 minutes at the pump and 25 minutes talking to people about it.
    The Happy Spyderlover