Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: shocks

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by gorchris1 View Post
    Doug, from all the reading ive done, most of the kinks were worked out when the 2013 model came out. I dont think ive read one negative yet on the 13s.
    Did you buy a 2013? I thought from your other posts that it was an older model. Keep reading if you do have the 2013.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Ann,
    Have you got that 2011 wore out yet?
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default problems with 13s

Doug, from all the reading ive done, most of the kinks were worked out when the 2013 model came out. I dont think ive read one negative yet on the 13s.
    The 13s have had a few problems, just search previous posts and threads, and most of these mods and ajustments have been needed on the 13s, sorry, I have a ST
    2017 F3-S , circuit yellow

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    Did you buy a 2013? I thought from your other posts that it was an older model. Keep reading if you do have the 2013.
    No as i said, ive been doing alot of reading. Lots of issues on the earlier rt but seems most of the bugs got worked out when the 13's roled out.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

No as i said, ive been doing alot of reading. Lots of issues on the earlier rt but seems most of the bugs got worked out when the 13's roled out.
    I own a 2010. Just plugging away on the issues. Off the subject of shocks, does anyone have any heating issues? Its not over heating but the temperature is reading pretty darn close.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Doug View Post
    All these mods and adjustments that are needed to make the spyder safe and secure for driving down the road, tells me something isn't right with BRP'S PRODUCT. The mods and changes to make your ride safe and comfortible should of being incorperated in the spyder before it leaves the factory. If this was required to be done with your new car after delivery, you might think twice about the major purchase.
    The guy who lives across the street from me bought a brand new 2013 Ford Mustang. He went driving. He then went and installed aftermarket sway bars in the front and the rear, and upgraded his shocks. He went driving again. He drove the entire Angeles Crest Highway from Monrovia to I-15. He took it back in and had an aftermarket air filter system put in, along with HID lights.

He seems to be pretty happy now. However, he is thinking of installing some sort of specialized oil cooler...

My doctor's husband bought a 4 wheel SxS off road...a Razor I think. Maybe. Anyway, he is busy installing doors, and a light bar, and chrome headlights. He also doesn't like the seats so he is busy shopping for seats. However, his biggest improvement, in his opinion, was to raise the Razor (heh) by 3 inches. He spent $2,500 raising it 3 inches.

You can farkle as much as you want. When stock ain't good 'nuff-it just ain't. Don't matter if it's two wheels, three or four.

My old Yamaha 650: I installed stainless steel brake lines, an aftermarket carburetor system (yes, in those days it had carburetors!), non-stock shocks and handle bar risers.

Most manufacturers make stuff for the mass market. They have to, otherwise they would go broke. When you want specialty stuff, it almost always requires aftermarket installations. Take the sway bar for example. The stock sway bar is just fine for most people. It is a little "weaker" than what many of us want, so it requires you to slow down in the curves. This is not a bad thing for novice riders, or maybe for older riders either. I wanted a little more nimble of a machine. So, I installed an aftermarket sway bar. I also installed other stuff: Gloriders, a screaming loud horn, fender lights, and a rack on the back. In my Prius, I tinted the windows and installed an aftermarket wood grain dash.

The reason BRP doesn't do this stuff before the bike is sold is simple: They gotta make it for the mass market.
    Dan

2012 Viper Red Rt
    upgrades:
    Baja Ron's Anti-Sway
    Diamond-R Arm Rests
    Gloriders
    High mount brake light
    chrome front fender garnish
    Bad Boy Horn
    Chrome Deflector Rack
    Chrome Scuff Nose Accent
    Handlebar Grip Fringe
    Gremlin Bells

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I've had Works Performance shocks on my 2010 RT since shortly after I bought it in Jan., 2011. They are an excellent product and certainly made a large difference in handling. I did have some customer service type problems with WP, communication issues such as phone calls not being returned, etc. The product is excellent but I'm not sure if WP is still manufacturing Spyder shocks.

I did not know Fox was now making shocks for the RT but if they are, based on the general excellence of Fox products, I would think these would be a good choice. I had heard that Progressive Suspension was making Spyder shocks but, from what was posted earlier, perhaps not for the RT. If they do they may be more reasonably priced that the other brands as Progressive shocks often are compared to the competition. I've used Progressive shocks on two wheelers and have been very pleased with them.

Regarding other issues with the 2010 RT, the throttle body had to be replaced and the exhaust pipe broke. That's it for mine.

Mike
    Idaho
    www.rtwrider.net
    Last edited by liketoride2; 12-09-2013 at 12:57 AM.

Spyder Garage

Default WHAT

Quote Originally Posted by Dan_Ashley View Post
    The guy who lives across the street from me bought a brand new 2013 Ford Mustang. He went driving. He then went and installed aftermarket sway bars in the front and the rear, and upgraded his shocks. He went driving again. He drove the entire Angeles Crest Highway from Monrovia to I-15. He took it back in and had an aftermarket air filter system put in, along with HID lights.

He seems to be pretty happy now. However, he is thinking of installing some sort of specialized oil cooler...

My doctor's husband bought a 4 wheel SxS off road...a Razor I think. Maybe. Anyway, he is busy installing doors, and a light bar, and chrome headlights. He also doesn't like the seats so he is busy shopping for seats. However, his biggest improvement, in his opinion, was to raise the Razor (heh) by 3 inches. He spent $2,500 raising it 3 inches.

You can farkle as much as you want. When stock ain't good 'nuff-it just ain't. Don't matter if it's two wheels, three or four.

My old Yamaha 650: I installed stainless steel brake lines, an aftermarket carburetor system (yes, in those days it had carburetors!), non-stock shocks and handle bar risers.

Most manufacturers make stuff for the mass market. They have to, otherwise they would go broke. When you want specialty stuff, it almost always requires aftermarket installations. Take the sway bar for example. The stock sway bar is just fine for most people. It is a little "weaker" than what many of us want, so it requires you to slow down in the curves. This is not a bad thing for novice riders, or maybe for older riders either. I wanted a little more nimble of a machine. So, I installed an aftermarket sway bar. I also installed other stuff: Gloriders, a screaming loud horn, fender lights, and a rack on the back. In my Prius, I tinted the windows and installed an aftermarket wood grain dash.

The reason BRP doesn't do this stuff before the bike is sold is simple: They gotta make it for the mass market.
    Sorry, but I disagree with you, that sway bar mod made the drive less scary in the curves, shocks helped prevent the wandering at higher speeds, the heat problem is still out for discussion, as far as cars and motorcycles I've owned, have never made any mods to make the drive safe and comfortable.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Sorry; I don't buy your argument at all...
    "Less scary:?? Ride the bike a bit, and get used to what it feels like. BRP does have to build for the masses; a lot of them couldn't care less about the twisties. They just want to chase horizons on the interstates with as soft and comfortable a ride as is possible.
    If you think of the bike as "chili that has been cooked for everybody at the get-together", you'll understand why they put the hot peppers off to the side for the folks who want to season it "to taste".
    That having been said; I changed a whole bunch of stuff on my 2010; not because the bike was defective/dangerous.scary,or flawed... Just because I liked the process and the results!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Sorry; I don't buy your argument at all...
    "Less scary:?? Ride the bike a bit, and get used to what it feels like. BRP does have to build for the masses; a lot of them couldn't care less about the twisties. They just want to chase horizons on the interstates with as soft and comfortable a ride as is possible.
    If you think of the bike as "chili that has been cooked for everybody at the get-together", you'll understand why they put the hot peppers off to the side for the folks who want to season it "to taste".
    That having been said; I changed a whole bunch of stuff on my 2010; not because the bike was defective/dangerous.scary,or flawed... Just because I liked the process and the results!
    Sorry, its not an argument, just my observation and opinion.

Spyder Garage

If you've got a 2010 RT I highly recommend a very good set of used 2011/2012 OEM shocks (or new, price is reasonable). The 2011/2012 OEM RT shocks are a worth while upgrade for the money.

Then, if you feel like you still don't have enough front shock, (aggressive rider, 2 up or pulling a trailer), give Pitbull's Relocators a try.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...