Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: shocks

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default shocks

I dont want to send someones kid to college when buying shocks for my RT. Elka stage 5 are way to expensive. Is there another alternative with a piggy back attached or unattached. It doesnt make a differance to me as long as the price is reasonable.

Spyder Garage

Default Economical alternative......

I found my ride very good by using standard RT shocks and adding Pitbull's Shock Relocators which change the front end geometry. I'd try that before investing in a high-end set of shocks. Depending on how many miles you have on your RT shocks, you might also want to purchase a set of '11 or '12 shocks from Pitbull also.

Jim

Spyder Garage

Default Have to agree..!!

with the BajaRon sway bar pitbull relocators and a good alignment your good to go. The only others you hear of are Fox and Progressive though limited to certain years and models...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Why is the Piggybacked reservoir so important to you?
    The Stage 1+Rs do a GREAT job!
    Do the RonBar and the shock relocators first...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I bought the bike used and finding issues the more i ride. It handles ok when im by myself but when my wife and i ride, its hard to steer even on small curves. Already ordered a baja ron sway. The shocks look original with 21,000 miles on them.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Individual preference and how deep pocket on shocks.

Oem shocks just fine for me.
    2012 Spyder RT SE5 Brake pedal mod

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Did a lot of reading on the 2010 model rt. Lots of issues

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by gorchris1 View Post
    I bought the bike used and finding issues the more i ride. It handles ok when im by myself but when my wife and i ride, its hard to steer even on small curves. Already ordered a baja ron sway. The shocks look original with 21,000 miles on them.
    The new sway bar will probably solve 90% of the problems???it sure solved mine!
    Dan

2012 Viper Red Rt
    upgrades:
    Baja Ron's Anti-Sway
    Diamond-R Arm Rests
    Gloriders
    High mount brake light
    chrome front fender garnish
    Bad Boy Horn
    Chrome Deflector Rack
    Chrome Scuff Nose Accent
    Handlebar Grip Fringe
    Gremlin Bells

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Cool

Could be as simple as firming up the shocks to the number 5 settings for two up riding along with the Ron bar should be good to go.
    Good luck Mike

Spyder Garage

My 2010 RT-S is still going strong at 36,000 miles. No mods to front end--no sway bar--no aftermarket shocks. Still drives like it was new. Still all original there.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I have bought everything on the market, shocks, sway bar, and relocators , then tire pressures up and down and the bike still did not handle much better than the stock 2011 setup. These were all recommended to me from fellow riders that said it had fixed their problems. I recently had a laser alignment done and that truly solved the problem. The corners are predictable, and the bike runs straight on the freeway now instead of darting left and right. Wind no longer cause me problems either. My RT was out of alignment by 1 1/4" (too wide) so each wheel took turns being in control. As it turns out that the factory method of setting alignment is less than perfect and the bikes come from the factory incorrectly toed. I paid $150 to get it done. I recommend starting with the alignment throw money at it if you want to improve the corning.

Regards,

Randy

Spyder Garage

Default shocks

I have a 2012 RT that I put 16000 miles on since buying it in May. I have both the Bajaron sway bar and the shock re locators, but have stock shocks on setting 3. I ride moderately agressive, I guess, and have had very good results. I rode THE TAIL OF THE DRAGON, pulling a trailer, with NO problems. I have done a lazer alignment which made a HUGE improvement in handling. I can see NO need for any other shocks, at least for me.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I did the entire front-end upgrade on my 2010 RT...
    The OEM shocks were pretty soft; I bumped them to the stiffest preload setting...
    Then I got a set of 2011 shocks; much better
    Then I did the Elka/RonBar transformation...
    It was like night and day!
    The steering was tightened right up, and the bike didn't want to lean over and scrape a bar-end in the twisties anymore!

Spyder Garage

I don't have baja ron's sway bar on my 12RT-S and I experienced the same thing you are discribing here, on my very first ride from dealership, when my lady was sitting behind me. What made a significant difference for me after reading through this forum, were a few things - adjusting my front shocks to the next setting up (easily done and there is even a video on youtube that shows how to do it) and also bumping up air pressure on a back shock to the top recommended setting (whatever it was, I don't remember already), which you can find in your owner's manual. I also adjusted tire pressure in all 3 tires as recommended in the manual. All those three things combined made a huge differnce in ease of steering for me.
    2012 RT-S SE5 with Web Boards, custom graphics and battery tender leads

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I dont want to send someones kid to college when buying shocks for my RT. Elka stage 5 are way to expensive. Is there another alternative with a piggy back attached or unattached. It doesnt make a differance to me as long as the price is reasonable.
    I JUST INSTALLED THE brp fox adjustable shocks on my 2013 ST, helped a lot, I got the kit that includes the shocks and sway bar for a great price of only $399. However I did not install the sway bar that came with it, reason, it is a real lot of work to remove and replace the sway bar on the 2013 St But, on the instructions assembly papers from BRP they state (WARNING, IT IS IMPERATIVE THAT THE NEW STABLIZER BAR BE INSTALLED WHEN YOU INSTALL THE FOX SHOCKS) Wow, now I am really confused, why would this be dangerous or do damage to the bike? I called Lamont and he said it was find to install the Fox shocks and keep the stock stabilizer bar. The stock bar is about 13 mm and the bar that comes with the Fox kit is about 15mm, only 2 mm difference. Can anyone tell me or anyone going to install the Fox shocks why it would imperative to use the sway bar that comes with the kit? I also ask a mechanic at Daytona Fun Machine and he said the same thing as Lamont. The 15 mm may handle a little better , but why would BRP say it is imperative to use it with the Fox shocks?????

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Welcome Chris. You might want to swap out the 2010 shocks for 2011 or 2012s. My 2010 RT had 2011 shocks and BajaRons sway bar and it handled great. You can usually find some used shocks for cheap on the 4 sale section.

If you are in the Las Vegas area we have a group that meets and rides on the 1st Saturday of the month at ProShop in Henderson. Meeting at 9:00.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Registered Users 3 Wheel Addict's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Keep in mind that the 2013 RT's are a completely different animal than the 12 and older models. The 13's take a different shock and there are no shock spacers for the 13's.
    Sold my 14 RTS went back to 2 wheels.
    2014 Kawasaki Vaquero SE

Spyder Garage

Default A LOT OF PLAYING AROUND

I did a lot of playing around with different setting on the OEM RSS shocks, OEM 2011 RT shocks and SHOCK ANGLE ADJUSTERS from BLUEKNIGHT911 send him a PM. I also have the Ron Bar. I settled on the OEM RSS shocks at 3 preload for all around performance.

Those Shock Angle Adjusters form Mike are the Milk in a Cat's Meow !!

3/4" in set on the bottom, top is near 3-3/16" up and out. You will have to trim very little off the tupperware on both top and bottom. If your good you can not tell with out a very close scrutinization!! OH? Is that a word?

Shucky Darns, I am so use to seeing many crazy words spellings coming out of Chinese attempting to write English.
    If it Feels Good, Do It !!

Too Much Is Just Enough !
    2011 RS~S Pure Magnesium / Black ~M~

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    Welcome Chris. You might want to swap out the 2010 shocks for 2011 or 2012s. My 2010 RT had 2011 shocks and BajaRons sway bar and it handled great. You can usually find some used shocks for cheap on the 4 sale section.

If you are in the Las Vegas area we have a group that meets and rides on the 1st Saturday of the month at ProShop in Henderson. Meeting at 9:00.

I already stopped in when i purchased an oil change kit. I grabbed a card from the guy at the counter. Was planning on joining the group. Just trying to square away the ride first. The guy i bought it from i dont think took too good of care on it. The oil itself didnt look like it was changed in awhile. It still had the old smaller filter installed.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by mcaccamise View Post
    Could be as simple as firming up the shocks to the number 5 settings for two up riding along with the Ron bar should be good to go.
    Good luck Mike
    First thing i did was made the adjustment to 5. It was already on 4. No noticable improvement.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I was looking at progressive shocks but the website says its only for the rs. Anyone know why?

Spyder Garage

Default PROPER RIDE

All these mods and adjustments that are needed to make the spyder safe and secure for driving down the road, tells me something isn't right with BRP'S PRODUCT. The mods and changes to make your ride safe and comfortible should of being incorperated in the spyder before it leaves the factory. If this was required to be done with your new car after delivery, you might think twice about the major purchase.
    2017 F3-S , circuit yellow

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Doug View Post
    All these mods and adjustments that are needed to make the spyder safe and secure for driving down the road, tells me something isn't right with BRP'S PRODUCT. The mods and changes to make your ride safe and comfortible should of being incorperated in the spyder before it leaves the factory. If this was required to be done with your new car after delivery, you might think twice about the major purchase.
    All forums are like this.
    It is affectionately known as "drinking the kool-aid".

Remember, the majority of Spyder owners have no clue these forums exist and just ride.

That is why you have to do your homework and decide what mods will work best for you and how you ride. There is a lot of kool-aid out there....lol.

Sent from my DROID using Tapatalk
    Last edited by DrewNJ; 12-04-2013 at 08:05 AM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I was looking at progressive shocks but the website says its only for the rs. Anyone know why?
    They're set up for a lighter bike, and might even be shorter. (Shorter A-Arms on those bikes)

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Doug View Post
    Doug, from all the reading ive done, most of the kinks were worked out when the 2013 model came out. I dont think ive read one negative yet on the 13s.