Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Evap cannister

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

If your worried about laws and warranties then leave it all alone. Modifying the hose routing is going to be just as frowned upon as eliminating the entire system.

Gasoline vapors are about 3 times heavier than air. Installing a T below the canister like in the diagram just bypasses the canister.

Another good side effect of removing or blocking off the purge valve vent line is that it will cause the motor to run slightly richer as your blocking off the unmetered air supply.
    It also eliminates a likely problem area with the purge valve sticking open, causing the motor to run leaner than desired.

Spyder Garage

Default canister

i posted this diagram:

and i'm here to tell you: NO MORE SMELL OF GAS....

i did a 220 mile ride today, just to make sure she was warmed up to the max... back roads, secondarys and 60 miles on the interstate.... i pulled her into the MAN-CAVE immediately upon returning home, and stayed there for 2 hrs. afterwards... no smell whatsoever...
    prior to my alteration, my garage was no place to be for the next 4 hrs....
    whether you agree with what BRP's design or not... this alteration eliminates the gas smell....

thank you BLUEKNIGHT (Mike)...

Frenchie, PM me and i'll do yours....

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Mike knows all about thinking "outside of the box"!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Mike knows all about thinking "outside of the box"!
    3rd ONLY to Ronald Reagan & John Wayne, Mike is my HERO......

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SPYD3R View Post
    i posted this diagram:

and i'm here to tell you: NO MORE SMELL OF GAS....

i did a 220 mile ride today, just to make sure she was warmed up to the max... back roads, secondarys and 60 miles on the interstate.... i pulled her into the MAN-CAVE immediately upon returning home, and stayed there for 2 hrs. afterwards... no smell whatsoever...
    prior to my alteration, my garage was no place to be for the next 4 hrs....
    whether you agree with what BRP's design or not... this alteration eliminates the gas smell....

thank you BLUEKNIGHT (Mike)...

Frenchie, PM me and i'll do yours....
    I hope it works for you in 90 deg weather I only had intermittent smell and a few drops of gas last summer before I insulated the tank. Mostly when the tank was near full and hot when I got home.
    2013 Mag Silver SE5 RT BahaRon Sway bar & Sway bar links, Grip Puppies, Kuryakyn Helmet locks , Ultimate Seat w/Utopia Backrest, Dash power outlet, Spyderpops BumpSkid, Swagman Cup holders, Full size Brake Pedal, Seal DLX Floorboards, Freeway Blaster horns, Sylvania Super Bright fender LEDs, Scotchlite 680 Rear & Fender Reflectors, BRP Fog Light Kit, LED Mirror turn signal strips, 2014 RT grille mod. Outlaw Laser Alignment

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Magdave View Post
    If you want to be a law breaker do as you wish. Just sayin'....
    And I suppose you never ever drive faster than the posted speed limit. Duh!!!

Carl
    2012 White RT Limited and 2013 Yellow ST-S Think 3 .i.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by quickster47 View Post
    And I suppose you never ever drive faster than the posted speed limit. Duh!!!

Carl
    As a matter of fact never fast enough to get a ticket. I like my insurance rates where they are.
    2013 Mag Silver SE5 RT BahaRon Sway bar & Sway bar links, Grip Puppies, Kuryakyn Helmet locks , Ultimate Seat w/Utopia Backrest, Dash power outlet, Spyderpops BumpSkid, Swagman Cup holders, Full size Brake Pedal, Seal DLX Floorboards, Freeway Blaster horns, Sylvania Super Bright fender LEDs, Scotchlite 680 Rear & Fender Reflectors, BRP Fog Light Kit, LED Mirror turn signal strips, 2014 RT grille mod. Outlaw Laser Alignment

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thanks Dave
    VERY well-put!
    I also understand your reluctance to fool with things that might be best left alone... My old RT was absolutely bone-stock under the Tupperware; They built it the way that they did for a reason, and their engineers are WAY smarter than I could ever hope to be...
    But if something obviously isn't working as it should; I would normally have no reluctance to see if a workable fix is available.
    Last edited by Bob Denman; 04-13-2014 at 08:38 AM.

Spyder Garage

I recently took a day trip (08 GS) that involved some low speed stuff after being on the highway for hours. After stopping I discovered the gas was boiling. Obviously it's done this before, I just hadn't caught it in the act. I figured that because of the extreme amount of fumes that would have accumulated in the evap cannister it would be time to go. Once that charcoal cannister is saturated like that, it's toast. And, obviously this is not the first time the gas has boiled, since I've run the bike in more extreme conditions than this time.

Anyway, once the cannister was removed as per the thread here, the bike ran much better and much cleaner and crisper. No error codes and no gas smells. I also wrapped the pipes next to the gas tank to further insulate it. I'm a happy camper with this solution.
    Last edited by KX5062; 08-27-2017 at 12:24 PM.

Spyder Garage

OK...so I did the canisterectomy and I am torn. The vast majority. f the gas smell I think is gone now. Need to get a few more rides in to verify. There is just a touch of the smell, but nothing like before.

However, based on a couple of the other reports, I stuck my head and flashlight done by the vent tube a few times. I could see the fumes coming out and an ever so slow drip of presumably gas coming out of the vent tube. The drips resulted in a spot about the size of a pop can top.

So the smell before was bad, but the dripping is a little more concerning. Has anyone else's noticed dripping after doing the canisterectomy?

Do you suppose putting a loop in the vent hose would prevent it? I did put a filter inline.
    2017 Can Am Commander Limited
    2012 Cadillac CTS-V Black Diamond
    2020 F3 Limited Magma Red (miss the 2011 Viper red)
    2010 RT622 - Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

(I have to admit, that I didn't go back and ready this entire thread... )
    Do you think that you might have been overfilling the fuel tank?
    That's a surefire way to get than canister stinking like raw gas!
    How much fuel was in the tank, when you noticed the dripping?

Spyder Garage

I did the canisterectomy so no canister to overfill. If I would have overfilled, it would have been immediately apparent at the gas station. We filled about 90ish miles from home. We did not fill once we got back to town and the tanks are only about 1/4 full when we pulled in the garage. After we parked, I checked underneath periodically and that is when I saw it.
    2010 RT622 - Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I think that it was Hayfield who posted about this...
    He tries to fill up shortly before parking his bike.
    The fuel pumped in at the station is at a much lower tem,perature; it cools things off in the tank. This has helped him with preventing drips and fumes.

Spyder Garage

Ah ha.. I see what you are saying about Hayfield... we should have filled before parking to help cool the tank thus helping to prevent excessive fumes and dripping (which is probably the fumes cooling somewhat in the line).

I will try that next time we get to go out. Raining today.

I think I may still experiment with putting a loop in the vent hose or forming it like a p-trap or something too to see if that makes a difference.
    2010 RT622 - Black

Spyder Garage

On my 2008 GS I had a gas smell every time I road it
    I removed the vent line and installed a longer line from the tank to the canister
    From the tank I ran the line up to the front around the steering column as high as I could and then back down to the canister
    I could fill the tank as high as I wanted and the canister did not fill because the line went up high enough to prevent it from going into the canister
    and I had it for six more yeas and no more gas smell
    This still kept it legal
    Do not know if it will help with the hot gas fumes but worth a try
    Don
    Now 2014 RT Limited Cognac
    Was 2008 GS SM5

Don Garbarino

Cup Holder
    GPS locking holder
    Mud flap
    Modified KNOTT grill
    Phone holder and charger
    Trailer hitch
    Dual air horn
    Auxiliary fuse box with relays
    Heated clothing controller
    volt/oil pressure gauge
    Sequential signals in mirror
    Tri Axis Handle bars
    Baja Ron anti sway bar/heim links
    shorty antenna
    And many more

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by garb55 View Post
    On my 2008 GS I had a gas smell every time I road it
    I removed the vent line and installed a longer line from the tank to the canister
    From the tank I ran the line up to the front around the steering column as high as I could and then back down to the canister
    I could fill the tank as high as I wanted and the canister did not fill because the line went up high enough to prevent it from going into the canister
    and I had it for six more yeas and no more gas smell
    This still kept it legal
    Do not know if it will help with the hot gas fumes but worth a try
    Don
    Sounds like something BRP should look at doing for all of us and makes perfect sense if they keep telling owners it is their fault for over filling. This is cheap enough for them to prevent any gas from rolling down hill. Any in the longer line will get sucked back into the tank when it cools instead of going into the canister.

Spyder Garage

Default Evac Canister

Understand how to run an extended
    line from # 26 and plug # 29 in the
    diagram, but what did you do with the
    electric connection to #21?

[/QUOTE]

Spyder Garage

I did a canisterectomy om my '99 BMW R1100RT. The canister was up high, under the tail section, and there was a (admittedly, rare) chance of carbon particles escaping the canister, and then migrating downward via gravity into the fuel injection system. So, just to be safe, I pulled the canister, plugged the lines, and re-routed the gas tank vent tube downward to the center stand, all IAW instructions found at several BMW websites.

Big mistake. That canister is there to capture fuel vapors off the fuel tank, and route them to the carburetors/fuel injections to be burned. Post-canisterectomy, my garage was filled with the smell of gasoline after each ride. Primary Spousal Unit not amused.

Based on that experience, I wouldn't do another canisterectomy.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SPYD3R View Post
    is this what you meant by having the "T" placed below the Cannister...???

thx in advance...
    Dan P
    Easley, SC
    SPYD3R
    Without the purge valve vacuum, how do the fumes travel up to the canister instead of straight down to the ground?

Spyder Garage

Done this canister bypass. No longer smells fuel. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    I posted a solution a long time ago that both solved the problem and was easily reversible to comply with anyone looking at your Spyder with thoughts about DENYING your WARRANTY. .....You put an automotive plastic " T " on the line that went to the cannister then put an extension line straight down away from anything hot and this prevents any gas overflow from reaching the cannister. For the upright part of the " T " you then put in a small piece of tube and connected that to the orig. fitting on the cannister.........So you still have fume scavenging with the cannister but it is IMPOSSIBLE to get any FUEL/GAS into the cannister because of the " T "..........NOTE THE " T " HAS TO BE BELOW THE BOTTOM OF THE CANNISTER FOR THIS TO WORK......It's very easy to remove for inspection and just a couple of $'s..........I have done this to both my Spyders and No problems with smell or anything else in the past 20,000 + miles ...Mike
    2018 F3 Ltd. , Black/Dark