Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Evap cannister

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DrewNJ View Post
    The dealer here charges an hour labor ($95 IIRC) to diagnose. However, they apply that hour toward the labor for the repair if they do the work.

I don't know about removing/replacing the tupperware on the RT but changing out the canister on an RS takes about 15 minutes....no joke.

I'd expect to pay an hour labor ($95) plus whatever the part cost ($67 or so) for having the dealer replace the canister.
    What I didn't mention in my first post is that the canister needed to be replaced because of a defective purge valve.I paid 74 for the canister, 50 for the purge valve and 20 for new spark plugs. But the 2.5 hours of labor was the killer.

Not trying to nickel dime anyone but they charged me an hour for diagnosing the problem then another 1.5 hours to do the repair. Is that reasonable? Maybe I should have squawked but I value my relationship with them so I just paid it and kept my mouth shut.

Oh Scotty, In your opinion is it safe to run the Spyder with no evap canister?
    Bill H.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    I posted a solution a long time ago that both solved the problem and was easily reversible to comply with anyone looking at your Spyder with thoughts about DENYING your WARRANTY. .....You put an automotive plastic " T " on the line that went to the cannister then put an extension line straight down away from anything hot and this prevents any gas overflow from reaching the cannister. For the upright part of the " T " you then put in a small piece of tube and connected that to the orig. fitting on the cannister.........So you still have fume scavenging with the cannister but it is IMPOSSIBLE to get any FUEL/GAS into the cannister because of the " T "..........NOTE THE " T " HAS TO BE BELOW THE BOTTOM OF THE CANNISTER FOR THIS TO WORK......It's very easy to remove for inspection and just a couple of $'s..........I have done this to both my Spyders and No problems with smell or anything else in the past 20,000 + miles ...Mike
    Thanks much. Your solution is the best idea I've heard so far.

Spyder Garage

My gas fumes when sitting in traffic have gotten ridiculous. Dealer says nothing wrong. BS

Canister is being removed and pipes wrapped along with a converterectomy over the holidays or next few weekends. Unfortunate that I have to take matters in my own hands but if BRP will not or cannot fix it, I will so I can ride it. The weather is cool so its not hot weather, just exhaust heat on the underside of the tank. Poor design.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

No help to you, but they DID move things around on the 2014s. PIMS NYC 012.jpg
    Good luck on your project; please let us know how it turns out!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    No help to you, but they DID move things around on the 2014s. PIMS NYC 012.jpg
    Good luck on your project; please let us know how it turns out!
    Somethings missing in this picture. Guess what?

Identify what you have control over and find peace with what you don't.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Is anyone that are carefully filling their Spyder getting over 100 + miles to the tank ? I have a 2013 RT LTD and I'm getting about 22 miles a gallon. Anyone getting any better than this and if so HOW ?

Spyder Garage

Default LINK

for those of you who are interested in more discussion on the CANISTER BYPASS, here is a link:
    http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...annisterectomy

043.jpg

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jgallo77 View Post
    Is anyone that are carefully filling their Spyder getting over 100 + miles to the tank ? I have a 2013 RT LTD and I'm getting about 22 miles a gallon. Anyone getting any better than this and if so HOW ?
    Most of us do. If you are getting only 22 mpg you likely have something wrong. For an unmodified Spyder, typical mileage is 27-32. Plug wires are the first thing I would suspect, followed by a faulty purge valve. Beyond that it gets complicated...requiring compression tests and some serious troubleshooting/experimenting to pin down the cause. BRP considers anything from something like 18 mpg and up to be "normal", so you won't get any free help from your dealer.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DrewNJ View Post
    The dealer here charges an hour labor ($95 IIRC) to diagnose. However, they apply that hour toward the labor for the repair if they do the work.

I don't know about removing/replacing the tupperware on the RT but changing out the canister on an RS takes about 15 minutes....no joke.

I'd expect to pay an hour labor ($95) plus whatever the part cost ($67 or so) for having the dealer replace the canister.
    Your lucky, Ride Now Sports which is a monopoly in Arizona and the only BRP dealer in Tucson Az charges $130 per hour.

Jack

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SPYD3R View Post
    for those of you who are interested in more discussion on the CANISTER BYPASS, here is a link:
    http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...annisterectomy
    Thanks for this link. I currently have my Spyder torn apart and was looking for the best way to eliminate this. If I have any questions, I'll post them to the linked thread.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jerbear View Post
    Somethings missing in this picture. Guess what?
    Okay; I'll bite...

What?

Spyder Garage

Default hey Mike....

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    I posted a solution a long time ago that both solved the problem and was easily reversible to comply with anyone looking at your Spyder with thoughts about DENYING your WARRANTY. .....You put an automotive plastic " T " on the line that went to the cannister then put an extension line straight down away from anything hot and this prevents any gas overflow from reaching the cannister. For the upright part of the " T " you then put in a small piece of tube and connected that to the orig. fitting on the cannister.........So you still have fume scavenging with the cannister but it is IMPOSSIBLE to get any FUEL/GAS into the cannister because of the " T "..........NOTE THE " T " HAS TO BE BELOW THE BOTTOM OF THE CANNISTER FOR THIS TO WORK......It's very easy to remove for inspection and just a couple of $'s..........I have done this to both my Spyders and No problems with smell or anything else in the past 20,000 + miles ...Mike
    is this what you meant by having the "T" placed below the Cannister...???
    007.jpg
    thx in advance...
    Dan P
    Easley, SC
    SPYD3R
    Last edited by SPYD3R; 12-29-2013 at 01:42 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Very nice diagram that makes it easy to understand!
    Thanks!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post

Very nice diagram that makes it easy to understand!
    Thanks!
    BUT.... is this the correct 'fix'...? need 2 hear back from Mr. Blue (Mike)....
    hurry Mike... Tuperware is off, waiting on your reply....

Dan P
    Easley, SC
    SPYD3R

Spyder Garage

is this what you meant BY having the "T" placed below the Cannister...???
    I just did this yesterday and completely removed the canister based on the link you previously provided. Why not go that route rather than leaving the canister in place using the "T" connector?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by stewartj239 View Post
    I just did this yesterday and completely removed the canister based on the link you previously provided. Why not go that route rather than leaving the canister in place using the "T" connector?
    like BLUEKNIGHT said, "the canister serves a purpose", and i'd prefer to keep the canister in place...
    were you able to ride? did you notice anything different? etc etc etc....
    Dan P
    Easley, SC
    SPYD3R

Spyder Garage

like BLUEKNIGHT said, "the canister serves a purpose", and i'd prefer to keep the canister in place...
    Dan P
    Easley, SC
    SPYD3R
    With the "T" in you are effectively eliminating the canister. The only way to keep it functional would be to add a one way valve to allow gas out and close when purge valve suction occurs. Even then a lot of fumes would still escape via the added "T". It would make it easier to reattach if warranty service is needed than total removal.
    Last edited by Magdave; 12-29-2013 at 02:59 PM.
    2013 Mag Silver SE5 RT BahaRon Sway bar & Sway bar links, Grip Puppies, Kuryakyn Helmet locks , Ultimate Seat w/Utopia Backrest, Dash power outlet, Spyderpops BumpSkid, Swagman Cup holders, Full size Brake Pedal, Seal DLX Floorboards, Freeway Blaster horns, Sylvania Super Bright fender LEDs, Scotchlite 680 Rear & Fender Reflectors, BRP Fog Light Kit, LED Mirror turn signal strips, 2014 RT grille mod. Outlaw Laser Alignment

Spyder Garage

Dan P
    Easley, SC
    SPYD3R
    We are in the dead of winter here, so I won't be able to take it out until spring. The other thread that eliminates the canister altogether was from August of 2009, so it is a modification that has been around for a while and I have seen any posts about it being a problem. It too is completely reverseable.

Spyder Garage

We are in the dead of winter here, so I won't be able to take it out until spring. The other thread that eliminates the canister altogether was from August of 2009, so it is a modification that has been around for a while and I have seen any posts about it being a problem. It too is completely reverseable.
    The only problem is you are violating the EPA rules and may have issues with the purge valve (lots of reports of that going bad) that will not be covered under warranty unless you re install everything. The "T" set up does about the same as removal and allows a quick reversal if needed in that case. If you want to be a law breaker do as you wish. Removing it will not stop gas vapors or gas leakage either although they may happen on the road and not the garage. The canister was supposed to control that but poor design of it doesn't make it work as well as it should. Just sayin'....
    2013 Mag Silver SE5 RT BahaRon Sway bar & Sway bar links, Grip Puppies, Kuryakyn Helmet locks , Ultimate Seat w/Utopia Backrest, Dash power outlet, Spyderpops BumpSkid, Swagman Cup holders, Full size Brake Pedal, Seal DLX Floorboards, Freeway Blaster horns, Sylvania Super Bright fender LEDs, Scotchlite 680 Rear & Fender Reflectors, BRP Fog Light Kit, LED Mirror turn signal strips, 2014 RT grille mod. Outlaw Laser Alignment

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Magdave View Post
    Removing it will not stop gas vapors or gas leakage either although they may happen on the road and not the garage. The canister was supposed to control that but poor design of it doesn't make it work as well as it should. Just sayin'....
    My goal is to eliminate the gas fumes that fill the garage so that it doesn't burn down and permeate into the house. If the canister worked the way it was supposed to, then it would remain on the bike.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jgallo77 View Post
    2013 RT-S getting 32 MPG.

Jack

Spyder Garage

may have issues with the purge valve (lots of reports of that going bad) that will not be covered under warranty
    Are bad purge valves a failure tied specifically to the removal of the canister? I saw nothing about that in the other thread.

Spyder Garage

Are bad purge valves a failure tied specifically to the removal of the canister? I saw nothing about that in the other thread.
    I do not know if there is a relationship between the removal but there is a relationship to the gas smell and drip from a bad purge valve that is stuck.I have read that in several threads. I could think of reasons improper canister removal could cause issues with the valve. Some say to plug the line to it but I do not see how that is viable. Maybe using a fuel filter as a plug would make more sense. A bad purge valve may be independent of the removal and need fixed and without the canister I doubt BRP will pay for it under warranty. You have MAP sensors that may or may not be affected by a plugged purge valve. It is not expecting to get no draw from the line
    Last edited by Magdave; 12-29-2013 at 09:21 PM.

Spyder Garage

One additional thought is if you own a 2013, that the tank is not insulated on, they have been known to boil on hot days. Mine did. A canister is supposed to capture the fumes that causes and recycle them to the engine. Without a canister if you pull into the garage after a hot day's ride and a boiling tank you will still get fumes. I have insulated my tank and it seems to have helped the boiling I will know more next summer because that was done near the end of the season.

Spyder Garage

One additional thought is if you own a 2013, that the tank is not insulated on, they have been known to boil on hot days. Mine did. A canister is supposed to capture the fumes that causes and recycle them to the engine. Without a canister if you pull into the garage after a hot day's ride and a boiling tank you will still get fumes. I have insulated my tank and it seems to have helped the boiling I will know more next summer because that was done near the end of the season.
    I have just done the same. No boiling gas for me, but I don't see how it can't do anything but help.

ReflectiveTape-2.jpg