Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default KUMHO ECSTA AST tires

For any of you that put automobile tires on the rear of your Spyder, there is a closeout on KUMHO ECSTA AST 225/50/R15 tires at tirerack.com. Price is $70 each. I ordered two last week. I have heard these tires will get much better mileage than the stock Kendas.
    2020 F3 Ltd

Spyderpops Bumpskid
    Spyderpops Brake/Run/Turn Signal LED's
    Lamonster Garage LED Fog Lights and Headlights
    2013 ST-S retired 1/9/16 at 25,061 miles
    2015 F3S sold at 77,565 miles.
    2015 F3-S , BajaRon Plugs Can-Am Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JKMSPYDER View Post
    For any of you that put automobile tires on the rear of your Spyder, there is a closeout on KUMHO ECSTA AST 225/50/R15 tires at tirerack.com. Price is $70 each. I ordered two last week. I have heard these tires will get much better mileage than the stock Kendas.
    John;
    i'm on my 2nd KUMHO ACSTA AST.... i got around 8000 with the OEM Kenda, and 24,000 with the first KUMHO... now on my second KUMHO... not only do i get better mileage, i also get better performance... they handle better than the OEM's in wet conditions, and grab the road better is aggressive riding.... smart move pal.... i'll contact my local tire guy to ask if KUMHO is stopping production on these tires.... maybe it's just TIRE RACK that will no longer be carrying them.
    Dan P.
    Easley, SC
    SAM_0627.jpg

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SPYD3R View Post
    John;
    i'm on my 2nd KUMHO ACSTA AST.... i got around 8000 with the OEM Kenda, and 24,000 with the first KUMHO... now on my second KUMHO... not only do i get better mileage, i also get better performance... they handle better than the OEM's in wet conditions, and grab the road better is aggressive riding.... smart move pal.... i'll contact my local tire guy to ask if KUMHO is stopping production on these tires.... maybe it's just TIRE RACK that will no longer be carrying them.
    Dan P.
    Easley, SC
    SAM_0627.jpg
    Please let us know. If thats the case I might have to buy one now.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
    2007 M109R LE - To many MODS to list. Its cheaper that way!!!

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default KUMHO TIRE

Quote Originally Posted by JKMSPYDER View Post
    I just checked with Discount Tires Direct, they also have this tire in our size......and the Price is $ 82 with FREE SHIPPING .......Tire rack charges for shipping and depending where you live it could $20 + per tire......you do the math................They did not mention anything about not being able to get this tire in the near future. It could be that tire rack is not going to carry this size because it is a low seller for them ? ? ?........Mike

Spyder Garage

With the shipping, that's not a good price. $129 at Spyderquest last year, installed.
    Last edited by rnet; 11-29-2013 at 09:55 AM.
    Happy Spyder Owner
    ISCI Floorboards, Ebrake extension peg, Hand Brake, and hyway pegs, tjfisher2 passenger peg extension, BRP 23" Ultra Touring Windshied, Backrest, Fog Lights, 12volt accessory plug, NMN 4" handlebar risers, Auto Zone red LEDs, BRP Comfort seat, Evoluzione sway bar, powerbus, powerlets and air shock.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Ron,
    Do you carry that tire in the shop?
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default SAVING MONEY

Quote Originally Posted by rnet View Post
    With the shipping, that's not a good price. $129 at Spyderquest last year, installed.

Ron I could be wrong here, but I'm assuming your post refers to my post ? ? ?.......My post compares something that is currently available NOW yours involves the use of a TIME MACHINE ! ! ! .......just say-in.....Mike

Spyder Garage

Default KUMHO TIRE PRESSURE

[QUOTE=SPYD3R;725596]John;
    Dan P.
    Easley, SC
    SAM_0627.jpgWHAT PRESSURE DO YOU RUN IN YOUR KUMHO ?

Spyder Garage

[QUOTE=Spyderdale;725633]
    Quote Originally Posted by SPYD3R View Post
    John;
    Dan P.
    Easley, SC
    SAM_0627.jpgWHAT PRESSURE DO YOU RUN IN YOUR KUMHO ?
    it all depends on your vehicle and your riding habits... i run 22 psi, and never carry another rider or heavy loads of any kind, except for myself @ 250 lbs.... also, mine is an RS... RT's are heavier, and if you carry another person, you will need to adjust your 'psi' as needed... a half-ass test is to put a heavy chalk mark across the tire, side-to-side, and on a flat surface ride your unit until it leaves a chalk mark on the pavement... if you get a complete 'print' your psi is ok... if u get only chalk either on; 'only' the center - you have too much psi, if only on the edges - you have too little psi.... not the most scientific way, but passable....
    014.jpg

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Ron I could be wrong here, but I'm assuming your post refers to my post ? ? ?.......My post compares something that is currently available NOW yours involves the use of a TIME MACHINE ! ! ! .......just say-in.....Mike
    No Mike, I was referring to the &70 plus shipping the same as you, but you posted as I was typing. I think that is still a good price.
    Happy Spyder Owner
    ISCI Floorboards, Ebrake extension peg, Hand Brake, and hyway pegs, tjfisher2 passenger peg extension, BRP 23" Ultra Touring Windshied, Backrest, Fog Lights, 12volt accessory plug, NMN 4" handlebar risers, Auto Zone red LEDs, BRP Comfort seat, Evoluzione sway bar, powerbus, powerlets and air shock.

Spyder Garage

Default Stepping on Posts

Quote Originally Posted by rnet View Post
    No Mike, I was referring to the &70 plus shipping the same as you, but you posted as I was typing. I think that is still a good price.
    Ron, no harm no foul......I took it light anyway ......Hence the .......Did you see the 500 K ? ? ?.....Bob D posted on the Experienced rider needed for Testing a TRIKE thread
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 11-29-2013 at 06:59 PM.

Spyder Garage

Default Kumho Discount Tire

I just checked with Discount Tires Direct, they also have this tire in our size......and the Price is $ 82 with FREE SHIPPING .......Tire rack charges for shipping and depending where you live it could $20 + per tire......you do the math................They did not mention anything about not being able to get this tire in the near future. It could be that tire rack is not going to carry this size because it is a low seller for them ? ? ?........Mike
    I just bought my second Kumho at Discount Tire Direct. One for my RT and one just recently for my wife's. The free shipping thing is cool, because Ihave it shipped diorectly to Honda of Winston-Salem and don't have to transport the tire there. The OEM tire is about $130 plus tax, and is only a 2 ply whereas the Kumho is a 4ply. It is also very highly consumer rated. I got 20,000 miles on my original OEM tire on my 2011 RT, and just had it changed last month. I don't have enough data to give a review of how the Kumho will compare , but so I like and it rides great.
    Paul "Wingman" Metheney
    2020 Can-Am Spyder RT Limited

2020 RTL , Red

Spyder Garage

Bought one the other week at Discount Tire and it was about $87 with tax.

Spyder Garage

Thumbs down BRP Hits Again

I ordered a Kumho tire from them, paid for it and waited patiently for it to arrive. I got a call yesterday saying they couldn't ship it to me because it was a Can Am. They said I could probably get one at a brick and mortar dealer but not on-line because of BRP. Restraint of trade???? Word to the wise...don't tell them it's for a Can Am Spyder. Find an automobile that takes the same tire...like a BMW. I'm just sayin'.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

2004 Toyota Tacoma... Base model!

Spyder Garage

Default Rear Tire Spyder

I will be calling the 3 dealerships that we have in Vermont, to see if they will install a NON BRP tire on my 2014RTS-SE6, I have 4,981 miles on the original rear tire which is a Kenda. My spyder is not a year old.

I will post here what I get for an answer.

Also, before I order a tire from DISCOUNT TIRE........................ I will be getting a GENERAL ALTIMAX RT-43 SIZE, 215/60-15 this is mike's ( Blueknight911) first choice. I want a good tire, that has good thread, that will push away the rain on the road. Deanna

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover
    A-Arm Daytime Dual Color LED Running Lights with Blinker Module
    Hi-Viz DRL and Sequential Mirrors lights

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DaveMcC View Post
    I ordered a Kumho tire from them, paid for it and waited patiently for it to arrive. I got a call yesterday saying they couldn't ship it to me because it was a Can Am. They said I could probably get one at a brick and mortar dealer but not on-line because of BRP. Restraint of trade???? Word to the wise...don't tell them it's for a Can Am Spyder. Find an automobile that takes the same tire...like a BMW. I'm just sayin'.
    I had read about that happening here, so when I ordered a Kumho Tire from TireRack last week, I just put 1970 VW Beetle. I figured I could have just about any size rim on there I want and they would have nothing to argue against. They gave me no issues and shipped it right to me. I would imagine they have some sort of check come up that flags if someone puts in "Spyder".
    BlueLghtning - Follow me on my SPOT Messenger
    Mine: KTM 650 ADV (Katuki), 09 DL650, 08 WR250R
    Hers: 07 Ninja 650R, 13 CRF250L
    Smugmug Pics - Save $5 <-- Click Here

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Deanna777 View Post
    I will be calling the 3 dealerships that we have in Vermont, to see if they will install a NON BRP tire on my 2014RTS-SE6, I have 4,981 miles on the original rear tire which is a Kenda. My spyder is not a year old.

I will post here what I get for an answer.
    I would think that if you didn't even make a big deal about it, most tech's wouldn't even notice and would just put the new tire on without thinking twice about it.

Just seems if you call them and specifically ask about installing a non standard tire, you'll probably get some flack.
    BlueLghtning - Follow me on my SPOT Messenger
    Mine: KTM 650 ADV (Katuki), 09 DL650, 08 WR250R
    Hers: 07 Ninja 650R, 13 CRF250L
    Smugmug Pics - Save $5 <-- Click Here

Spyder Garage

Been running the Kumho ECSTA on my RT for the last 8,000 miles or so and I am frankly NOT impressed. It seemed better than OEM.. especially at first... but it is not good in the rain.

Recent rides in the rain have felt very uneasy... not good traction in the rear.

I'll be trying something else soon.

The Bridgestone Potenza's work great on the front.

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!

Spyder Garage

I am giving just my own experience with the Kuhmo, put a brand new one this spring and 8500 miles and it's toast. Very slippery in the rain, so I am putting a Michelin Defender 215-60-15 next.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BlueLghtning View Post
    I would think that if you didn't even make a big deal about it, most tech's wouldn't even notice and would just put the new tire on without thinking twice about it.

Just seems if you call them and specifically ask about installing a non standard tire, you'll probably get some flack.
    So should I just give the dealers a call and make an appointment to have a new tire put on my 2014RTS-SE6?

What is your suggestion?
    Deanna

Gremlin Bell
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Dee,
    Why not make a "Discreet Inquiry"?
    Don't give them your name or bike information; just ask if they will install a non-oem tire on a Spyder.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Dee,
    Why not make a "Discreet Inquiry"?
    Don't give them your name or bike information; just ask if they will install a non-oem tire on a Spyder.
    Bob, I will do that , and I will post here on what the dealers say. Deanna

Gremlin Bell
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Good Luck!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Good Luck!
    thanks
    Have you put on a new rear tire on your spyder yet?
    Deanna

Gremlin Bell
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover