Thread: Tricle charger

Spyder Garage

Default Tricle charger

Yesterday I got a trickle charger from Habor Freight and am going to try and mate it to a plug-in that fits in the hole in the runk....hope it all works....

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by lwrydr View Post
    Yesterday I got a trickle charger from Habor Freight and am going to try and mate it to a plug-in that fits in the hole in the runk....hope it all works....
    I picked up one too then saw that you should not use them with agm batteries. I have a bigger charger that can do agm but wanted a cheap dedicated charger. Not sure what the issue is.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
    2013 RT , Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wd5gnr View Post
    I picked up one too then saw that you should not use them with agm batteries. I have a bigger charger that can do agm but wanted a cheap dedicated charger. Not sure what the issue is.

I give up, what is a "agm" battery and is that the one in the ?

Spyder Garage

Not for use with our batteries I have one. Should have gotten the Battery Tender Junior That has been talked about recently. Also if you plan on using the rear plug on the 2013 you have to change the fuse location in the fuse block to enable it to be on at all time.
    It comes from the factory to work only with the key on. I believe it is mentioned in the owners manual.

http://www.dcbattery.com/agmtech.html

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...hlight=battery
    Last edited by Magdave; 11-22-2013 at 12:05 PM.
    2013 Mag Silver SE5 RT BahaRon Sway bar & Sway bar links, Grip Puppies, Kuryakyn Helmet locks , Ultimate Seat w/Utopia Backrest, Dash power outlet, Spyderpops BumpSkid, Swagman Cup holders, Full size Brake Pedal, Seal DLX Floorboards, Freeway Blaster horns, Sylvania Super Bright fender LEDs, Scotchlite 680 Rear & Fender Reflectors, BRP Fog Light Kit, LED Mirror turn signal strips, 2014 RT grille mod. Outlaw Laser Alignment

Spyder Garage

AGM means Absorbed Glass Mat. That is the type of battery in the Spyder. You should never use a standard "trickle charger" on a Spyder. Only a low amperage "smart" charger, also known as a maintainer or tender, should be used. One specifically meant for motorcycle use is your best bet. My favorites...Battery Tender Plus, battery Tender Jr., Accumate, Optimate, Xtreme, and Genius. You get what you pay for.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

The one I bought is a maintainer so it should work (I hope).

Spyder Garage

The one I bought is a maintainer so it should work (I hope).
    Wanna bet your battery on it? Read the instructions if it like my HF tender it specifically says not for AGM batteries. This is one item you do not want to cheap out on.
    2013 Mag Silver SE5 RT BahaRon Sway bar & Sway bar links, Grip Puppies, Kuryakyn Helmet locks , Ultimate Seat w/Utopia Backrest, Dash power outlet, Spyderpops BumpSkid, Swagman Cup holders, Full size Brake Pedal, Seal DLX Floorboards, Freeway Blaster horns, Sylvania Super Bright fender LEDs, Scotchlite 680 Rear & Fender Reflectors, BRP Fog Light Kit, LED Mirror turn signal strips, 2014 RT grille mod. Outlaw Laser Alignment

Spyder Garage

[QUOTE=Magdave;723258]Wanna bet your battery on it? Read the instructions if it like my HF tender it specifically says not for AGM batteries. This is one item you do not want to cheap out on.[

I don't want to play "bet my battery" on this but there is no mention of AGM anyplace. What it does say is "Only use on rechargeable lead-acid type batteries. Do not use on household, dry-cell batteries: explosion may result."

From reading about AGM I thought that they are an acid type battery but they work differently internally. I have now used up all my knowledge (or lack thereof) on this subject.

Spyder Garage

I don't want to play "bet my battery" on this but there is no mention of AGM anyplace. What it does say is "Only use on rechargeable lead-acid type batteries. Do not use on household, dry-cell batteries: explosion may result."

From reading about AGM I thought that they are an acid type battery but they work differently internally. I have now used up all my knowledge (or lack thereof) on this subject.
    Seriously The Battery Tender Jr. can be found on amazon for ~$20 I had a choice like you I have probably the same unit from HF ( look online you should be able to get full specs) The electronics on these bikes can be very sensitive so I went with what is mentioned many times on the forum as being one of the best and glad I did. Your choice if you want to be a beta tester for Harbor Freight. Just sayin'....

Spyder Garage

Guess I will be the beta tester.....called HF techs and ask them and they looked it up in their books and told me it will work on a glass mat battery....some on has to try it....thanks for your input..

Spyder Garage

Default Really confused ??

I picked up 3 Cent-Tech automatic battery float chargers yesterday at Harbor Freight. Says use on fully charged 12 volt wet lead-acid batteries only. Is this the wrong one for Spyder?? Going to use other ones on Can-Am ATV and Piaggio so should be no problem there. I thought Spyder battery was a wet-lead acid battery??
    2015 RTSE, Red Pearl, Shorty Antenna, Chrome Rear Rack, Deer Whistles, BajaRon Anti-sway Bar

Spyder Garage

Opps just read small print on back of package says not to use on AGM type battery so can't use will get one suggested above.
    2015 RTSE, Red Pearl, Shorty Antenna, Chrome Rear Rack, Deer Whistles, BajaRon Anti-sway Bar

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Showie View Post
    Opps just read small print on back of package says not to use on AGM type battery so can't use will get one suggested above.
    You will not be disappointed The transformer is 4X as big as the HF wall wart and heavy duty. It comes with a plug connector you can hook up to your jumper posts to easily connect and disconnect. It also comes with plain old clamps. Both of them plug and unplug from the 12ft unit cable. I added a cig plug adapter to my cart to go into the plug I added to my dash. $1.76.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    AGM means Absorbed Glass Mat. That is the type of battery in the Spyder. You should never use a standard "trickle charger" on a Spyder. Only a low amperage "smart" charger, also known as a maintainer or tender, should be used. One specifically meant for motorcycle use is your best bet. My favorites...Battery Tender Plus, battery Tender Jr., Accumate, Optimate, Xtreme, and Genius. You get what you pay for.
    The difference between the Jr and the Plus is the Plus is temperature sensitive and the Jr is not. If you storing in an unheated area go with the Plus
    2021 Sea to Sky, 2013 RT Ltd, 2005 Bombardier Outlander ATV

Spyder Garage

Guess I will be the beta tester.....called HF techs and ask them and they looked it up in their books and told me it will work on a glass mat battery....some on has to try it....thanks for your input..
    Can you post a link to the HF product page or a picture of the charger? If it is the one I have it really does say not to use for AGM on the instructions. If they have another one, I'd like to find it.
    2013 RT , Red

Spyder Garage

Default Picture

Can you post a link to the HF product page or a picture of the charger? If it is the one I have it really does say not to use for AGM on the instructions. If they have another one, I'd like to find it.
    Attached is a pic of the charger.

PB240001.jpgPB240002.jpg

Spyder Garage

Default HF charger

I have used the same HF battery maintainer that Lwrydr has pictured for over a year without any problems. It works very well. I adapted a plug for use in the trunk outlet of my 2012 RTs.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by sawtooth View Post
    I have used the same HF battery maintainer that Lwrydr has pictured for over a year without any problems. It works very well. I adapted a plug for use in the trunk outlet of my 2012 RTs.
    How did you adapt it? I seem to be having a problem with that. Thanks for any help.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by sawtooth View Post
    But for $4 more the AMERICAN made Battery Tender Junior comes with the adapter. As I said this is one thing I will not trust Chinese with. 90 day vs. 5yr warranty doesn't hurt either

Spyder Garage

Attached is a pic of the charger.
    Ah that is a different one than I bought (which was super cheap on sale -- impulse buy).
    2013 RT , Red