Spyder Garage

Default BRP is not alone with issues.

My grown daughter (Senior Financial Planner) always comes to me for advice on her vehicle purchases. This summer she asked me to research small SUV's. I'm kind of a Ford guy, her not so much. We finally narrowed our search to the new 2014 Cherokee Limited vs Kia Soreno LTD. She drove both and liked the Jeep best. I was happy not being a huge Kia fan. Kia was available early Aug, but she decided to wait for the Jeep. After over 3months of delayed production rumored to be due to the new 9speed auto transmission issues. She finally took delivery about a week ago. Less than 300 miles on it and it's loaded on a flatbed back to the dealer. And guess what the dash says? "Service transmission". Sorry for the long post, but all you guys waiting on your ordered 2014's, please be patient. Not fun seeing your $42K brand new vehicle on the stretcher. Let BRP get them right.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by SpyderDen; 11-21-2013 at 08:29 PM.

Spyder Garage

Not waiting for a 2014, although I agree with your post.

Registered Users 3 Wheel Addict's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Chrysler never could make a transmission that would work, period! My brother had a 2004 Ram truck and he finally got rid of it after the 4th transmission. I personally owned a 2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee and it was nice but shifting issues as well with repeat failures of the shift lever. Local 16 year old blew through a stop sign and finally fixed it for me, there problem solved!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Sold my 14 RTS went back to 2 wheels.
    2014 Kawasaki Vaquero SE

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default JEEPS

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderDen View Post
    My grown daughter (Senior Financial Planner) always comes to me for advice on her vehicle purchases. This summer she asked me to research small SUV's. I'm kind of a Ford guy, her not so much. We finally narrowed our search to the new 2014 Cherokee Limited vs Kia Soreno LTD. She drove both and liked the Jeep best. I was happy not being a huge Kia fan. Kia was available early Aug, but she decided to wait for the Jeep. After over 3months of delayed production rumored to be due to the new 9speed auto transmission issues. She finally took delivery about a week ago. Less than 300 miles on it and it's loaded on a flatbed back to the dealer. And guess what the dash says? "Service transmission". Sorry for the long post, but all you guys waiting on your ordered 2014's, please be patient. Not fun seeing your $42K brand new vehicle on the stretcher. Let BRP get them right.
    I know the JEEP was one of the better things from WW II , however it's been downhill for them since then IMHO.......If I won one I'd sell it immediately

Spyder Garage

that's a shame spyderden, seems like there has been an endless string of re-calls of jeep products the last few years. i'm with you, i'd take an escape, over a jeep or kia in a second.
    it was fun while it lasted.

Spyder Garage

Just goes to show you, start a thread and you can get anybody to hate anything.
    Last edited by SpyderDen; 11-22-2013 at 02:21 PM.

Spyder Garage

KIA isn't as bad as it used to be. In fact they have stepped up their game by leaps and bounds. I purchased a 2013 Optima SX about 15 months ago. 40K miles on her and zero problems and that thing will haul the mail with its 2.0 turbo while getting 33mpg.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    I know the JEEP was one of the better things from WW II , however it's been downhill for them since then IMHO.......If I won one I'd sell it immediately
    Not sure about those WW 2 jeeps. We had one while stationed in Pakistan in the 60's and you couldn't take a corner faster then 10 mph without it threatening to roll over.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Illinois Patriot Guard

Founding member of Woodstock Spyder Ryders

2014 RTS SE6 - White
    2010 RT/AC SE5 retired with 26,536 miles

Spyder Garage

“Aerodynamically the bumblebee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumblebee doesn't know that so it goes on flying anyway.” ~Mary Kay Ash
    2012 RT-S SE5 with Web Boards, custom graphics and battery tender leads

Spyder Garage

Default 3 Wheel Addict - I Really must be in a pickle?!

Chrysler can't make a working transmission?

I'm really up a creek with no paddle!!

I personally own now or have owned the following products with a Chrysler transmission

1994 1/2 ton ram - 297,000 miles / original transmission (Mine)
    1999 Durango 218,000 miles / original transmission (Wife's)
    1999 1/2 ton ram - 186,013 miles / original transmission (Mine)
    2003 Durango 110,000 miles / original transmission (Wife's current)
    2004 1/2 ton ram 176,500 miles / original transmission (My current)

I'm glad you told me about the bad Chrysler transmission! I guess I'll just have to take my
    SPYDER into work........!!!!!!!! OH CRAP, DUMMY ME!! THE SPYDER NEEDS TIRES, BEARINGS, and wait for it .................TRANNY WORK!!! Did the Chrysler transmission team relocate to Canada? Thanks for the info, I Now have AAA on speed dial!!
    Last edited by H.L.Spyder Guy; 11-21-2013 at 10:59 PM.

Spyder Garage

Personally, I'd never buy a Chrysler product, though I think they make good rental cars. As for Kia, five years ago I wouldn't touch one of them. Now, however, they're right up there with Hyundai...who, of course, owns Kia. They make a very good product and have a fantastic warranty.

And the Sorento is a very comfortable car.
    Phil

I may be old, but I got to see all the cool bands.

2011 Spyder RT-AC

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Jeeps: you either lover them; or hate them.
    I cut my teth on them; the first one was a '45 MB
    Then a '57 CJ 5
    a '74 J10
    '79 Comanche
    '87 Wrangler
    '89 Wrangler
    '02 Liberty
    '04 Grand Cherokee
    .08 Liberty
    Pretty much ALL of them were somewhat cranky at times...
    But I still miss the '45 and '57...
    ...With three speed transmissions!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

I had a coworker with Chrysler minivan in the late 90s early 00s. Two transmissions in 90K....and other issues. Finally traded for something else.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by H.L.Spyder Guy View Post

I personally own now or have owned the following products with a Chrysler transmission

I'm glad you told me about the bad Chrysler transmission! I guess I'll just have to take my
    SPYDER into work........!!!!!!!! OH CRAP, DUMMY ME!! THE SPYDER NEEDS TIRES, BEARINGS, and wait for it .................TRANNY WORK!!! Did the Chrysler transmission team relocate to Canada? Thanks for the info, I Now have AAA on speed dial!!
    You just saved me the trouble. After changing trannys on my Ford trucks every 20K or so I switched to Ram and have never had an issue.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Just goes to show you, start a thread and you can anybody to hate anything.
    Yep, a lot of haters recently too. People love to hate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spyder Garage

Loved the Dodge Power Wagon. Had a used '65 W300 in New Mexico and that thing would pull a building off it's foundation. Had the 251 flat head with the Dana 8 lug axles. Wish I still had it. My ex father in law had an International Scout II. That was another beast. I was Ford truck man for years. Have had a Chevy Silverado since 2004.

Just like bikes, drive what you like, like what you drive.
    Last edited by bruiser; 11-22-2013 at 10:36 AM.

USAF '69-'89 E7
    Thailand/Vietnam 1972
    Member: Royal Order of Rat Bastards

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by H.L.Spyder Guy View Post

i agree and i'm on my seventh ram truck in a row and never have i once had a transmission problem! over 1,000,000 happy miles without any transmission problems. guess i must have been lucky!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spydaman60 View Post
    i agree and i'm on my seventh ram truck in a row and never have i once had a transmission problem! over 1,000,000 happy miles without any transmission problems. guess i must have been lucky!
    You just took the horseshoe out of the first one and put it into the following trucks.

I was a Saturn guy until they shut down. Did not like the bull that most dealers put you through when buying a car, and Saturn it was "this is the price - like it or not". First Saturn was a 1998 SL1, I put 150,000 miles on it, original clutch, original muffler - only engine work was an O2 sensor. I could do 75 mph, A/C cranked and I would get 42 mpg. That was a gas engine - none of that fancy hybrid crap that they are pushing nowadays. And I drove it like it was a rental. Great little car.
    I currently drive a 2002 Saturn LW200 (grocery getter) - 88,000 on it
    My wife drives a 2012 Honda CRV - GREAT vehicle, nice ride and lots of get up & go from a 4 cylinder.
    Displaced Canuck
    (Professional Photographer & Engineer)

2008 Yellow GS SM5

Spyder Garage

Default Really..!!!

you said a mouthful..why stop with one other..check recalls and you will find stuff from all walks of life..!! But when you don't own it it's just too bad and when you do own it well it's just wrong and someone should pay for doing this to you on purpose...they do work on repairing the problems but will never satisfy eveyone. As I see it I had the choice..jmo..
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

You know,,there's good and bad in about all cars and motorcycles made. I am ashamed of how many cars and bikes I've had through the years. Anytime my wife and I are on the road somewhere and she catches me looking at an older ca,r i.e. 60's 70's 80's, she says "did you have one of those too? It is kind of a running joke at our house. Point being, I have had Ford cars and trucks that were great and Fords that were not. Same goes for Chevy cars and trucks, Chrysler procucts, Nissans, Saab, yes Saab, (no Toyodas yet) Subarus, one or two through the years had transmission problems, one had electronic/electrical issues, a couple of motor problems and I just had an alternator replaced under warranty on my 2013 Altima. So I think it is the luck of the draw sometimes. With all said and done, some people are die-hard fans of certain brands. They'll never change. Some of us kinda start out with one brand then have some problems and move to another. Some of us just check em out and drive what we like the looks of, some drive something that will fit our family.

Being old school Nissan and Suburau are bout as far as I've gotten with Asian cars. No Hyundias or Kia's yet.
    Happy Spyderlovers

Spyder Garage

Mine:
    1964 Ford Failane. Engine failed at 79,000
    1978 MG Midget. Carburetor failed at 56,000 couldn't replace it due to age and import issues
    1981 Plymouth Arrow. Transmission failed at 9,000 miles. Wheels and brakes failed at 22,000 engine kaputt at 90,000
    1983 Chrysler LeBaron convertible. Top failed at 13,000. Alternator at 32,000 transmission at 132,000
    2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible. Whole thing fell apart at 138,000 kinda all at once.

In between I had Toyotas, Fords, Chevys, a Hyundai, and even a Citroen.

Most of them had issues other than 3,000 mile oil changes and general maintenance.

Once, when I was a kid, even the d@m# horse went lame!
    Dan

2012 Viper Red Rt
    upgrades:
    Baja Ron's Anti-Sway
    Diamond-R Arm Rests
    Gloriders
    High mount brake light
    chrome front fender garnish
    Bad Boy Horn
    Chrome Deflector Rack
    Chrome Scuff Nose Accent
    Handlebar Grip Fringe
    Gremlin Bells

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by StanProff View Post
    You know,,there's good and bad in about all cars and motorcycles made. I am ashamed of how many cars and bikes I've had through the years. Anytime my wife and I are on the road somewhere and she catches me looking at an older ca,r i.e. 60's 70's 80's, she says "did you have one of those too? It is kind of a running joke at our house. Point being, I have had Ford cars and trucks that were great and Fords that were not. Same goes for Chevy cars and trucks, Chrysler procucts, Nissans, Saab, yes Saab, (no Toyodas yet) Subarus, one or two through the years had transmission problems, one had electronic/electrical issues, a couple of motor problems and I just had an alternator replaced under warranty on my 2013 Altima. So I think it is the luck of the draw sometimes. With all said and done, some people are die-hard fans of certain brands. They'll never change. Some of us kinda start out with one brand then have some problems and move to another. Some of us just check em out and drive what we like the looks of, some drive something that will fit our family.

Being old school Nissan and Suburau are bout as far as I've gotten with Asian cars. No Hyundias or Kia's yet.

Same here on Suburu.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red