Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default 2010 RTS Trade In Value

Just curious, but am thinking seriously about trading in my 2010 RTS SM5, just wondering, with the new 2014's rolling out if others with a 2010 RTS are thinking the same and what they have listed their RT's for or what they have been offered as a trade in. Appreciate the feed back.

Mine is as follows: 2010 RTS SM5, 16,000 miles, all the chrome BRP offers, HMT third brake light, bright sides running lights, Street Magic scuff guards high way pegs, Spyder Pops bump skid and anti sway bars, Power Sports Wraps carbon fiber dash skin, 12 VDC outlet on dash, ram mount for Garmin, chrome wheels all around including the rear sprocket and hub assembly, Corbin seat with spider web stitching with back rest and matching passenger back rest, pin stripping.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I got almost $15,000 for mine...
    A 2010 RT A&C that had been brought fully-up to RTS specs... and 17,000 miles on the it.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    A 2010 RT A&C that had been brought fully-up to RTS specs... and 17,000 miles on the it.

My dealer offered me 12,000.00 arguing that they had received a shipment of 2013 Limited's that have a big markdown from BRP and therefore are bringing my trade in value down.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

OUCH!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jmcbow View Post
    Just curious, but am thinking seriously about trading in my 2010 RTS SM5, just wondering, with the new 2014's rolling out if others with a 2010 RTS are thinking the same and what they have listed their RT's for or what they have been offered as a trade in. Appreciate the feed back.

Mine is as follows: 2010 RTS SM5, 16,000 miles, all the chrome BRP offers, HMT third brake light, bright sides running lights, Street Magic scuff guards high way pegs, Spyder Pops bump skid and anti sway bars, Power Sports Wraps carbon fiber dash skin, 12 VDC outlet on dash, ram mount for Garmin, chrome wheels all around including the rear sprocket and hub assembly, Corbin seat with spider web stitching with back rest and matching passenger back rest, pin stripping.
    My dealer offered me 12,000.00 arguing that they had received a shipment of 2013 Limited's that have a big markdown from BRP and therefore are bringing my trade in value down.
    OUCH!
    Remember that dealers don't care what accessories you have on your , it's the demand and the usage they look after. They go thru their sources to get a trade in value, and that varies by area.

I would recommend selling it on the streets than trading in... although $12,000 is not a bad offer if you a) paid it off in full or owe less on your loan, b) don't want to deal with the hassle of the paperwork involved in selling and having the buyer not pay cash and run away and c) you can always negociate some kind of deal where the dealer can throw a few OEM parts on your new 2014.
    May all your encounters with the law begin with the words: "nice trike!".[/B]
    2015 Can-Am Spyder F3-S SM-6 Can-am Red/Black SM-6 with 2010 Black RT-622 trailer (hitch in the works).

Previously owned:
    2010 Can-Am Spyder RT SM-5
    2011 Can-Am Spyder RS-S SM-5
    2013 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SM-5

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Your better off to sell it vise trade.
    2012 Spyder RT SE5 Brake pedal mod

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

In Illinois; do they reduce the sales tax on the new vehicle by the value of the trade-in?
    That's what they do here in New York... Our Sales Tax in this county is 8%
    Your trade-in amount of $12000 would actually be worth $12960 in our County.
    If you got more than that on a private sale; you're ahead of the game!

Spyder Garage

12,000 is low based on the info I'm getting from NADA guides, Kelly Blue Book, Cycle Trader and others, and that's for a stock RTS mine is far from stock. Not sure why the dealer would even accept a shipment of 2013's in October/November (especially in this part of the country where our riding season is pretty much over now) with the 2014's slated to hit the show rooms in December/January.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

12,000 is low based on the info I'm getting from NADA guides, Kelly Blue Book, Cycle Trader and others, and that's for a stock RTS mine is far from stock. Not sure why the dealer would even accept a shipment of 2013's in October/November (especially in this part of the country where our riding season is pretty much over now) with the 2014's slated to hit the show rooms in December/January.
    I think that KBB and Nada have been really high on their values on Spyders. I've never heard of anyone getting as much as they show for trade-in. Unfortunately for you the low prices on the 13s are killing the values of all Spyders. In hindsight I did pretty good when I traded my 2010 RTS SM5 with 59,200 miles in in April. It didn't seem all that great at the time but I hate to think what I would have gotten on it now.

You might consider taking off some of your farkles and selling them off the bike.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

In Illinois; do they reduce the sales tax on the new vehicle by the value of the trade-in?
    That's what they do here in New York... Our Sales Tax in this county is 8%
    Your trade-in amount of $12000 would actually be worth $12960 in our County.
    If you got more than that on a private sale; you're ahead of the game!

In Arkansas you can sell it or trade it and get sales tax credit if you replace it within 30 days of the sale. (someone else said it is now 90 days).

Cruzr Joe
    Last edited by Cruzr Joe; 11-19-2013 at 01:24 PM.
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    I think that KBB and Nada have been really high on their values on Spyders. I've never heard of anyone getting as much as they show for trade-in. Unfortunately for you the low prices on the 13s are killing the values of all Spyders. In hindsight I did pretty good when I traded my 2010 RTS SM5 with 59,200 miles in in April. It didn't seem all that great at the time but I hate to think what I would have gotten on it now.

You might consider taking off some of your farkles and selling them off the bike.

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Cruzr Joe View Post
    In Arkansas you can sell it or trade it and get sales tax credit if you repalce it within 30 days of the sale. (someone else said it is now 90 days).
    You get the tax credit even on a private sale too?

AWESOME!! Send some of that common sense up North!

Spyder Garage

You get the tax credit even on a private sale too?

AWESOME!! Send some of that common sense up North!

The reason we get it on a private sale also is so that the dealers don't have a captive market.

Cruzr Joe

Spyder Garage

Identify what you have control over and find peace with what you don't.

Spyder Garage

I am supposed to get $15K for mine. 36,000 miles and similarly equipped. SE5 here. I have a complete listing of accessories on my profile page. As mentioned by others, accessories don't count for much. I am probably going to end up selling the Corbin seat and back rest, as well as the Seal floorboards.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Both KBB and NADA give you a range of prices (retail/trade in) I'm going by the lowest aggregate trade in value. Also, I've been looking at what dealers are listing similar RT's for. They seem to range in price from around 15K to almost 19K. That's a huge profit margin if I'm being offered 12K. Dealers are in business to make money, on both ends of the deal if they can. That doesn't mean they don't have negotiating room. I've learned over the years you don't take their first offer. If their ethical, they'll work with you on the price and trade in. Giving up some of their margin is better than not making anything if you walk away. Other than the Corbin seat, taking the other farkles off isn't really practical.

Spyder Garage

If you have owned yours Over 2 years and have 16,000 miles you could ride it 4-5 years MORE and still be under 50,000 miles? You obviously have it the way you like it and if it runs well I,d keep it until the "Dust Settles" with the 2013 problems and the Longer testing of the New Model?

2015 F3 sm6, Custom Dynamics fender lights.

Sea Doo GTI-SE 90 Jet Ski!!

Spyder Garage

Both KBB and NADA give you a range of prices (retail/trade in) I'm going by the lowest aggregate trade in value. Also, I've been looking at what dealers are listing similar RT's for. They seem to range in price from around 15K to almost 19K. That's a huge profit margin if I'm being offered 12K. Dealers are in business to make money, on both ends of the deal if they can. That doesn't mean they don't have negotiating room. I've learned over the years you don't take their first offer. If their ethical, they'll work with you on the price and trade in. Giving up some of their margin is better than not making anything if you walk away. Other than the Corbin seat, taking the other farkles off isn't really practical.
    Agree that dealers should not be mercenary on the trades. If they can turn the trade around fast, then a thousand or two max is a good mark up. Those that are going for $3K to $5K do seem a little mercenary to me. When I traded my Vulcan 900 LTD in on the last , the dealer ended up getting the shaft. He started by pricing it at $1K plus trade. He had it for almost 11 months before it sold. He ended up selling it for $500 less than he gave me in trade. It was a REALLY, REALLY nice bike too. 6,000 miles and just like new. The purchaser ended up with a great motorcycle. Just an example of the pitfalls of the trade in market.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I would not be so quick to give up your Spyder to get a 2014. 16k miles is really low and you could still put a couple of more years on it and not loose much more money when you sell or trade it then. I don't get a good feeling with the 2014's. There is a reason they are being delayed and I am not too sure it is a good thing. If I were you I would wait another year to make sure that the 2014's are not a repeat of the 2013's. Sorry to those who already bout theirs but that's what I think. A 2010 is not an old machine by any stretch. I ride a 1999 Valkyrie Interstate and I wouldn't give it up for anything new these days.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bscrive View Post
    I would not be so quick to give up your Spyder to get a 2014. 16k miles is really low and you could still put a couple of more years on it and not loose much more money when you sell or trade it then. I don't get a good feeling with the 2014's. There is a reason they are being delayed and I am not too sure it is a good thing. If I were you I would wait another year to make sure that the 2014's are not a repeat of the 2013's. Sorry to those who already bout theirs but that's what I think. A 2010 is not an old machine by any stretch. I ride a 1999 Valkyrie Interstate and I wouldn't give it up for anything new these days.
    I don't really plan on getting another Spyder, I have not had a good "ownership experience". I believe it's time to go back to 2 wheels.

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Brp had a bunch of 2013's left over and they sold them to the dealers at a discount. My dealer had a new 2013 RT Limited for $7000 off list last month.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Very Active Member MidLifeCrisis's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I've been offered 14 on trade, which is about 15.2 with the tax credit. So called interested parties have offered me 13 and act like they are doing me a favor.

I will be trading mine in, if I can actually get to the bike I want in time, before it's sold.....one of these days.

Outside of the recalls, my 2010 has been a great machine, but the 2013 horror stories and deep discounts are giving the entire line a bad rap. Couple that with the fact that so many are parked for the winter with oodles on eBay expiring with no bids and the situation appears much more grim than reality.

I really hope the 2014s are the cat's meow. I still think nothing released the 14s faster than the 13s. It was most likely a 2015 or 2016 release, but rushed after the big promises of the 13s didn't pan out. The 14 concept looks super good on paper. Just hope they tested them in AZ this time..... In the summer..... In Phoenix.

I'm still one of those who still thinks the issues with the 13s are solvable, but the will likely go the way if Windows Me!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I don't really plan on getting another Spyder, I have not had a good "ownership experience". I believe it's time to go back to 2 wheels.
    Then I wouldn't expect that a non Spyder dealer will give you much on a trade. Have you considered selling it yourself?
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Very Active Member MidLifeCrisis's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Then I wouldn't expect that a non Spyder dealer will give you much on a trade. Have you considered selling it yourself?
    Agreed.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

X2... What else would you expect???