Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Spyder Garage

My first helmet was white. Then a co-worker commented that he'd seen me out riding. He said I looked like a Q-tip....and I've never worn another white helmet.

Spyder Garage

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by camper1 View Post
    My first helmet was white. Then a co-worker commented that he'd seen me out riding. He said I looked like a Q-tip....and I've never worn another white helmet.
    That's funny

Identify what you have control over and find peace with what you don't.

Spyder Garage

Default helmet color

I know I'm going to get kicked to the curb for even saying this , but if someone can't see me on my bright yellow 13 RT-S a high viz helmet is not going to make a difference . I bought the Spyder because of the profile , I think when we start citing stats it is tied to 2 wheels and not the Spyders . Go ahead and start kicking , just my thoughts. BTW I've had my endorsement since 69 and was riding long before that and the only time I ever had a close call was because of me or the speed . That little Mach 3 was almost my nemesis on several occasions. Older and wiser .
    2014 RTL , Black Currant

Spyder Garage

I always wore black until about 10 years ago. My dad was following us up in Michigan on the hwy. When we pulled in to get gas somewhere he stated, someone is going to run over you some day with that black bike, black jacket and black helmet. I thought it was just because he couldn't see good, but then I really started looking at people and he was right.
    I have tried to use Silver or Titanium or something with those colors mixed in since then. A lot cooler and people do tend to see you better. I even switched over to a titanium jacket, can not get myself to do any of the high visibility colors.
    I have to say that the most popular color for the last couple of years is Matte Black.
    Rick
    Rick
    Spyder Lovers Vendor
    Value-Accessories

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Wink Made a decision

Thank you to everyone who responded!

The decision is ........ Hi-Viz Yellow!

Thanks again!

Marc Schlesinger

Spyder Garage

I am curious how you go about mounting the Bluetooth audio system in the Schuberth C3 Pro. My wife has one and there is no provision for placing speakers next to the ears, solid structural Styrofoam. Almost every helmet I have worked with had some open cavity next to the ear, but not the Schuberth. Its also why she is getting a new Arai, as the pressure on her ears has gotten to be just too uncomfortable when riding with her glasses. The C3 is a nice helmet but its not Snell rated and has a few quirks like the ear area. Some folks really like them.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Black to match the bike

Spyder Garage

I have the C3 Pro in high Viz yellow. Great helmet and the high viz really does stand out. My gear is black(winter jacket black & hi viz yellow), my bike is white so i certainly wasn't trying to make fashion statement....Just want to be seen.
    Rewaco RF-1 GT

Inline 4 cylinder Ford Zetec with multi-port fuel inject, 140 HP
    0-60mph: 5.8 seconds
    5 speed sync manual with reverse, mechanical dry clutch.
    Front suspension: Trapezoidal fork with center spring
    Rear suspension: Independent with Bilstein gas shock absorbers
    Brake System: Grimeca calipers, linked ventilated discs, with booster
    10.57 gallons

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MarcFTL View Post
    Thank you to everyone who responded!

The decision is ........ Hi-Viz Yellow!

Thanks again!

Marc Schlesinger
    Marc,

Aesthetics taking a back seat to function... wear it in good health and happy miles!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by camper1 View Post
    Are you sure it was the helmet? I found this picture of you online:
    Sorry, Camper. Just couldn't resist ;-)
    2013 RT , Red

Spyder Garage

Unless you're going to have your helmet custom painted, hi-Viz yellow is the way to go...as you seem to have decided.

Phil

I may be old, but I got to see all the cool bands.

2011 Spyder RT-AC

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Cool Helmet color

Hi vis yaller

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by easysuper View Post
    ... , I think when we start citing stats it is tied to 2 wheels and not the Spyders .. .
    You are right. But there are no studies, nor any meaningful statistics for three wheel motorcycles, and that is highly unlikely to change. Therefore, there is nothing else to go by except "common" sense. Since anecdotal information cannot be trusted to be representative of the universe of possibilities, I do not trust "common" sense either. Why these studies showed that white is better than any other color is beyond me. I read the studies; I understand how the conclusions were made; I do not understand the human perceptual apparatus that caused white to be more easily noticed than any other color. It seems to me that high-viz yellow you'll be better--but that is not what the studies concluded. I choose to wear reflective white. Perhaps I am more risk adverse than others. Each person needs to decide what is right for themselves. My only desire is to make sure people are offered as much knowledge as exists. What everyone chooses to do with that info is their business. Riding motorcycles is not about safety. If you want to be safe, then stay in a cage. Riding motorcycles is about managing risk.
    Dan

2012 Viper Red Rt
    upgrades:
    Baja Ron's Anti-Sway
    Diamond-R Arm Rests
    Gloriders
    High mount brake light
    chrome front fender garnish
    Bad Boy Horn
    Chrome Deflector Rack
    Chrome Scuff Nose Accent
    Handlebar Grip Fringe
    Gremlin Bells

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wd5gnr View Post
    Are you sure it was the helmet? I found this picture of you online:
    Sorry, Camper. Just couldn't resist ;-)

LOL! You found my picture from 2000. I was a little thinner then. 13 years later and I've never looked at another white helmet.

Spyder Garage

Personally, I would go with a white but since my STS is Circuit Yellow ... Hi viz yellow would be my second choice.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JKMSPYDER View Post
    Since your RT is black, I would recommend the Hi-Viz Yellow so that cagers can see you. I have a black Shoei with Hi-Viz yellow stripes. I ride a yellow ST-S and wear a yellow Hi-Viz vest. It may look dorky, but I want cars to see me!!
    JKM - I hate to point out something obvious - but I think that the cagers see the color of your trike before they see what you are wearing. I speak from experience as I wear a black helmet, grey textile jacket and you can see the color of my spyder on the avatar.
    Displaced Canuck
    (Professional Photographer & Engineer)

2008 Yellow GS SM5

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by belowme29 View Post
    JKM - I hate to point out something obvious - but I think that the cagers see the color of your trike before they see what you are wearing. I speak from experience as I wear a black helmet, grey textile jacket and you can see the color of my spyder on the avatar.
    The problem is that they are generally looking higher than the vehicle...especially a low profile vehicle like the Spyder. That is why hi-vis colors (apparently including white in Great Britain), worn on body parts that are higher than the motorcycle and move in a different direction, namely the head and to a lesser extent the arms and torso, have been shown to reduce the accident rate. Anecdotal experience of a rider is unfortunately not proof I prefer to rely on the statistics theat have shown a significant improvement from wearing the higher visibility colors. I do ride a colorful Spyder, however, and it makes me feel safer even if it cannot be proven.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MarcFTL View Post
    Happy almost Turkey Day to all!

It seems I can make a corporate decision in a split second but deciding what color Helmet to get, I throw my hands up in the air.

I have to get a new Helmet and have decided on a Schuberth C3 Pro. I have an older C3 that has seen better times and has been modified by J&M for their Wired Headset with holes drilled in the Helmet for that purpose. If I take out the wired headset I end up with holes and stuff.

Now that BRP has installed a new Bluetooth System in my 2010 RT-S, It gives me a great excuse to get a new Helmet!

The Helmet is available in Gloss Black, Matte Black, Silver, White and a Hi-Viz Yellow.

I currently have a white one and it looks like crap after 3 years of scratches and scrapes. I guess any light colored Helmet could end up the same.

I tend to either go with the Matte Black or the Hi-Viz Yellow but would like others to throw their $.02 Cents in.

BTW, I have a Black 2010 RT-S but matching the Helmet Color to the Bike is not the issue.

So what color would you choose?

Thanks

Marc
    I will be getting a Hi - Viz yellow for my next helmet. Better to be seen than to match my bike.
    Is it Friday yet? ... Oh yeah, I forgot. I'm retired

Past bikes
    2010 RS - Sold
    2012 RT - Sold
    2014 RT - Testing completed
    2016 F3-T Audio package - Sold

Spyder Garage

I went with hi-viz yellow for my Bell Revolver and recently added a Tourmaster coat in hi-viz yellow also. Linda has followed me in the cage and says that the helmet really helps, the jacket not so much as the RT covers most of the back. Some of my riding friend say the arm panels help from the side. I figure anything I can do to improve the chance I'll be seen is good,

Ride and ride safe,
    Curt Givens KC8STE
    Dayton, OH - Home of Hamvention
    MOLON LABE
    2012 Viper Red RT-S
    Center tail/brake light
    Mud flap run/ts
    Fender bright sides
    LED Tip lights
    Rivco Flag holder on trunk
    BRP Hitch
    Piggybacker XL Trailer