Spyder Garage

Default Along with the cold weather comes...

Battery issues. Yep. It has happened. It has turned cold here at night. At least by our standards. My RTS has rebelled. Past few times I've started it the screen reverts back to the prestart screen then I have to hit the mode button to get it to the run screen. So I put it on the tender at night. Today we did the Veterans Day Parade. After the parade we parked and talked for awhile. When we got ready to head to lunch I got the same screen, reset to the run screen and a few seconds later got the dreaded orange screen and check engine. Did a restart and everything checked good. So tomorrow it looks like I'm going to depanel and check the battery and charging system. I just check all the connections two weeks ago when I had the panels off for some maintenance and they were good and tight. Looks like I may have a new battery in my future

USAF '69-'89 E7
    Thailand/Vietnam 1972
    Member: Royal Order of Rat Bastards

Spyder Garage

Sounds like the exact problem the wife's blue RTS had Saturday. It ran fine all day in the mid-40's but afterca longer stop, orange screen and limp mode. It didn't show any codes thougj...We took it into the shop and they hooked it up...due for a software update and it did show some codes ( not sure why the Spyder didn't report them on screen though).

I will have to watch the battery now but it looked like it had good voltage the night before and they sleep in a heated (40 degree) garage.
    2017 Can Am Commander Limited
    2012 Cadillac CTS-V Black Diamond
    2020 F3 Limited Magma Red (miss the 2011 Viper red)
    2010 RT622 - Black

Spyder Garage

Default batteries plus

Quote Originally Posted by bruiser View Post
    Battery issues. Yep. It has happened. It has turned cold here at night. At least by our standards. My RTS has rebelled. Past few times I've started it the screen reverts back to the prestart screen then I have to hit the mode button to get it to the run screen. So I put it on the tender at night. Today we did the Veterans Day Parade. After the parade we parked and talked for awhile. When we got ready to head to lunch I got the same screen, reset to the run screen and a few seconds later got the dreaded orange screen and check engine. Did a restart and everything checked good. So tomorrow it looks like I'm going to depanel and check the battery and charging system. I just check all the connections two weeks ago when I had the panels off for some maintenance and they were good and tight. Looks like I may have a new battery in my future
    looks like the best deal going right now. 119.00 two year warranty. if there's one near you.
    it was fun while it lasted.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Jim,
    Two years' on the OEM Yuasa?
    I'm hoping that you actually find something that's a bit loose... A two year old battery should have plenty of fight left in it!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

I agree Bob. Kris' 2010 still has the original battery.

USAF '69-'89 E7
    Thailand/Vietnam 1972
    Member: Royal Order of Rat Bastards

Spyder Garage

Default Batteries

Fortunately, I do not have cold westher issues. East Central Florida and a garage. My 2009 GS has the OEM battery, however, I put it on a tender whenever it isn't being ridden. As much as I would like to ride every day, that just doesn't seem to be in the cards. Eventually, I will have to replace, will go with Batteries + gel type. My electrical engineer neighbor recomends them and he did work on the Spyder prototypes at the BRP testing grounds here in Palm Bay.
    2009 GS SE5 Silver