Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Starting In Limp Mode

About a month ago my 2013 RT(9300 mi) started in limp mode. After trying to get it to start normally for several days I got it started and took it to my dealer. They checked it out and said the fault was in the throttle control. They checked it out and said it was fine now. Also Can-Am said that when this happens to just shut it off and let the computers reset and restart it. Well it did it again (started in limp mode) and their method worked, after about 5 days. It's back in the shop and there're saying they can find no fault. That maybe its caused by a low battery. I commute with the RT so the battery should not be low, besides if the battery is low how does it recharge itself after 5 days if it's not running! Anybody else run into this problem, I really like my Spyder but this is starting to smell like a lemon and California has a lemon law?

Spyder Garage

Default welcome

i don't have any clue, when you let the bike reset do you remove the key. i have read that the key needs to be removed so it can reset properly because the chip in the key is read and does not reset right. other than that welcome to the 2013 problem rides
    NO BIKE AT THIS TIME

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by driver View Post
    About a month ago my 2013 RT(9300 mi) started in limp mode. After trying to get it to start normally for several days I got it started and took it to my dealer. They checked it out and said the fault was in the throttle control. They checked it out and said it was fine now. Also Can-Am said that when this happens to just shut it off and let the computers reset and restart it. Well it did it again (started in limp mode) and their method worked, after about 5 days. It's back in the shop and there're saying they can find no fault. That maybe its caused by a low battery. I commute with the RT so the battery should not be low, besides if the battery is low how does it recharge itself after 5 days if it's not running! Anybody else run into this problem, I really like my Spyder but this is starting to smell like a lemon and California has a lemon law?
    What code are you getting when it does that? Press Mode,Set, & turn sig buttons (push in as if to cancel) simultaneously and see what number/s pop up.
    Two Wheelers from 1963-2011

Three Wheelers:
    2011 RT(Red)
    2014 RT(white)
    2016 F3T(red)
    2022 RT current ride(silver)

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Don't know what code, the shop said nothing came up and they've still got it so I can't check.

Spyder Garage

Sounds like the battery not charging up. Put tenter on battery and have your bat checked to see if you have a dead cell or need new one charge up right the first time from dealer like they do not do.....

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It could be loose connections on the battery.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Another possible cause is that you are twisting the throttle during initialization, (the time between turning on the key and when the press mode button message comes on).

2018 F3 LIMITED

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Still starting in Limp Mode

Got my Spyder back. Dealer claimed it might be because the battery drops below 12 volts. Been putting a battery charger every night and the 3rd day I went out to go to work it started in limp mode again. Checked the code and came up (P1614). Don't know what that is , anyone out the know. Soon as I can get it to start out of limp mode I'm taking it to another dealer to get a 2nd set of eyes on it.

Registered Users 3 Wheel Addict's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

If it is spitting out codes then your dealer "should" be able to fix it. However the consensus on here is that there are very few dealers that can (or will) fix these machines. Some people are driving a few hundred miles to get proper work done and that's just a shame.
    Sold my 14 RTS went back to 2 wheels.
    2014 Kawasaki Vaquero SE

Spyder Garage

P1614 ....shows ECM Engine Control Module...Throttle idle position failure on Throttle release....possible cause: Throttle mechanical adjustment. No initalization after Throttle body / ECM replacement
    Last edited by Big Arm; 11-18-2013 at 09:31 PM.

....and we're gonna ride, we're gonna ride.....

ride like the one-eyed Jack of Diamonds, with
    the devil close behind,.....we're gonna ride....

2008 GS.....PE # 2888

Spyder Garage

Default P1614

When I got that code it was a TB issue. Never got the Limp mode screen but bike would not idle. One dealer did an update but finely replaced the TB after a few more failures to run right. Dealer should have found this code himself. Good luck.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by driver View Post
    Got my Spyder back. Dealer claimed it might be because the battery drops below 12 volts. Been putting a battery charger every night and the 3rd day I went out to go to work it started in limp mode again. Checked the code and came up (P1614). Don't know what that is , anyone out the know. Soon as I can get it to start out of limp mode I'm taking it to another dealer to get a 2nd set of eyes on it.
    This is a known issue and is not caused by the battery voltage. You need a new throttle body. Have your dealer contact BRP dealer tech support and get an education.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Throttle Body needs to be replaced. Call your dealer and tell him the P1614 code showed up. Ask him what that code means. If he doesn't know, tell him it is a bad Throttle Body and it needs to be replaced under warranty. That was a 2010 and 2011 RT issue. You may be the first 2013.
    2008 GS SE5 in 2008
    Traded at 43,000 miles for a left over
    2010 RT SM5 in 2011
    Traded at 57,000 for a left over
    2014 RTS SE6 in 2015, which has 35,000 miles
    Oct 19th, 2017, totaled 2014 RT while killing a Javaline
    Dec 12th, 2017 drove a 2017 F3L home. What an awesome machine!

Never had any breakdown stranded issues.