Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
    Yes,Yes
    and it meets all BRP specs for the 1330 bikes. Its what we stock for oil changes at our shop. It also seems to really smooth out the trans as well vs vs the BRP oil.
    Thanks for the information on this JC. I went and looked at Rotella specs and they are Jaso ma2 compliant now for the T6. I'm going to go and get a job at Wally World and order some filters from Ron.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default T - 4

Quote Originally Posted by tip View Post
    I haven't heard anything about the Rotella T 4 yet?
    You can get all the particulars if you go to their web site ....... It doesn't say what kind of OIL it is ..... only the 15w/40 is jaso ma rated not the 10w/30 ......... and it's directed towards diesel owners ..... I'd stick with the full Syn T-6 ....jmho .... but I think the Valvoline is better because of the extremely low Moly ....... Mike

Spyder Garage

DrewNJ posted a link to this great article that rated oils in a very controlled, evenly compared method. The author does this type of analysis for the industry. I reduced the number of entries to the ones that are commonly discussed.

This is a very valid rating system / test process. M

Maybe Drew can post the link again, it is a long read in full length but good reading if you are into it.

Lower ranked oils are not necessarily “bad”, they simply don’t provide as much wear protection capability as higher ranked oils. If you have been running a low ranked oil in your engine without issue, that does not mean you have switch to a different oil, and it also does not mean you were using a great oil. It only means that your engine’s wear protection needs have not exceeded that oil’s capability. And as long as your engine’s needs don’t exceed that oil’s capability, you will never have a problem. But, if unexpected circumstances come up that make your engine’s needs exceed that oil’s capability, such as an overheating condition, an oiling condition, a loading condition, some parts heading south, or whatever, your engine can end up junk. But, if you’d been using an oil with a much higher capability, it could still provide enough extra protection to save your engine. So, each person has to decide for themselves, which motor oil provides the wear protection capability they are comfortable with, for any given engine build.

For the test results in the Wear Protection Ranking List, the HIGHER the psi value, the BETTER the wear protection. And this applies to ALL engines, including ANY High Performance flat tappet engine. An easy way to use this ranking list, is to find an oil you are familiar with, then look at the oils ranked higher, which provide better wear protection, and look at oils ranked lower, which provide less wear protection.

You cannot advance your knowledge into the future by clinging to the incorrect thinking of the past. This is the 21st Century, and we no longer have to guess or use trial and error to decide on which oil to use. Now, we have documented wear test data available. So the future is here, and all we have to do is look at the Ranking List, to choose an oil that provides a wear protection capability level we are comfortable with for any given build.

The “Wear Protection” test data here DIRECTLY APPLIES to flat tappet lobe/lifter interfaces (no matter how wicked the engine), pushrod tip/rocker arm interfaces, non-roller tip rocker arm/valve stem tip interfaces, distributor gear/cam gear interfaces, mechanical fuel pump pushrod tip/cam eccentric interfaces, and all highly loaded engine interfaces.

Traditional 15W40 and 5W40 Diesel oils formulated for big trucks and heavy equipment, rank overall between number 33 and 165. But, if you omit the highest ranked traditional Diesel oil which is FAR, FAR MORE CAPABLE than all the other traditional Diesel oils, the rest only rank between 96 and 165. The poor wear protection performance of all but the one particular top ranked Diesel oil, makes it very clear that in general, Diesel oils are a poor choice for High Performance gas engines.

So, as you can see, oil viscosity plays no particular role in an oil’s wear protection capability. As mentioned above, an oil’s wear protection capability is determined by its base oil and its additive package “as a whole”, with the primary emphasis on the additive package, which contains the extreme pressure anti-wear components, which has nothing to do with viscosity.

I generally recommend that people choose a highly ranked motor oil to begin with, since highly ranked oils don’t need any additional help. And to use that oil just as it comes, right out of the bottle, with NO aftermarket additives at all. However, there is also data included below from testing a several different aftermarket motor oil additives, for informational purposes only, just to show how these additives actually work compared to their claims. But, I do NOT endorse them nor recommend their use.

FOR THE RECORD, I am NOT connected in any way to the Motor Oil or Aftermarket Additive Industry. I have absolutely no interest in what products people choose to use. So, I DO NOT promote any particular brand. I only share the results that come out of my Engineering tests, good or bad.The Wear Protection reference categories are:
    • Over 105,000 psi = INCREDIBLE wear protection

• 90,000 to 105,000 psi = OUTSTANDING wear protection

• 75,000 to 90,000 psi = GOOD wear protection

• 60,000 to 75,000 psi = MODEST wear protection

• Below 60,000 psi = UNDESIRABLE wear protection

The HIGHER the psi value, the BETTER the Wear Protection.

#67. 10W40 Mobil 1 Racing 4T, four stroke Motorcycle oil, synthetic = 93,661 psi
    This oil claims to meet or exceed API SN.
    zinc = TBD
    phos = TBD
    moly = TBD

#130. 5W40 MOBIL 1 TURBO DIESEL TRUCK synthetic, API CJ-4, CI-4 Plus, CI-4, CH-4 and ACEA E7 = 74,312 psi
    zinc = 1211 ppm
    phos = 1168 ppm
    moly = 2 ppm

#161. 5W40 SHELL ROTELLA T6 Diesel Oil, synthetic, API CJ-4, CI-4 Plus, CI-4, CH-4, SM, SL = 67,804 psi
    zinc = TBD
    phos = TBD
    moly = TBD

#169. 10W40 Valvoline 4 Stroke Motorcycle Oil, API SJ, conventional = 65,553 psi
    zinc = 1154 ppm
    phos = 1075 ppm
    moly = 0 ppm

#182. 10W40 Spectro Motor-Guard High Performance Motorcycle Oil, API SL, conventional = 57,977 psi
    zinc = 1800 ppm (claimed on bottle)
    phos = 1800 ppm (claimed on bottle)
    moly = TBD

Last edited by PMK; 02-27-2017 at 08:17 PM.

Spyder Garage

Giving credit for the above article quote. Full length link below.

https://540ratblog.wordpress.com/201...-test-ranking/

Spyder Garage

Default OIL

Interesting that the Valvoline and Spectro tested were NOT THEIR SYNTHETIC oils ..... but all the rest WERE ...... and what was all the TBD about ..... To Be Determined ????? .............. just some thoughts ........ Mike

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default OIL OIL O' Goody

Synthetic is not all Synthetic.... Class III or Class IV oil.. Class III before 1999 would just be normal oil.. Class IV still is Ester oil. Just make sure it is JASO MA.

Spyder Garage

Valvoline 4T stroke Full synthetic oil SAE 10W -40, Superior wet clutch protection, Exceeds API SERVICES, SJ/SG/SF, JASO MA2. For performance trusted by motorcycle owners and race teams around the world, use Valvoline motorcycle oil. Its formulated for the specific needs of motorcycles, including high temperatures, high RPM's and wet clutch systems.

*** Excellent wear & corrosion protection to help keep the engine performing its best***

** Outstanding wet clutch protection for maximum power transfer & smooth shifting**.

I use this oil in my 2014RTS-SE6 .

This is my 2nd season with the Valvoline 4T stroke Full synthetic oil SAE 10W- 40.

Deanna

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover
    A-Arm Daytime Dual Color LED Running Lights with Blinker Module
    Hi-Viz DRL and Sequential Mirrors lights
    Marinco 12Volt Power Receptacle with polarized leads & slide lock
    Show chrome Trunk Shock

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD

Spyder Garage

What I really wanted to know is if anyone using it had it tested & how
    it compares to amsoil.
    Thanks

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spyder stryder View Post
    What I really wanted to know is if anyone using it had it tested & how
    it compares to amsoil.
    Thanks
    if you take the time to research the link I posted, there are hundreds of oils tested for wear results. The author has no ties to any oil companies, so the data should be independent.

A long while back, there was a topic where oil was tested. In general, most agreed the oil sheared enough by 5000 miles that it could be considered a reasonable change interval. The 5000 mile point shearing will save the gearbox more than the engine.

As for Amsoil, some here do use it, others like myself use Mobil 1 motorcycle oil, others us the T6, and some run BRP oil, from reading these posts people even use the Valvoline. The common point being, we are not reading many stories about wear, or steel on the drain plug, so they all seem to be acceptable in a 1330 engine. The most noticable benefit will be smoother shifting.

Spyder Garage

Default Rotella T6

Hi dont know if this has been posted before. I was in O'Reilly auto parts today an in their flier they have Shell Rotella T6 Synthetic one gallon jug on sale for
    $26.99 After $7 mail in rebate makes it $ 19.99 a gallon. Limit 4 rebates per household.

Spyder Garage

That is a really good price on a really good oil. Thanks for the heads up. Mike aren't we about due for a sale on the Valvoline T4 synthetic?

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Default ROTELLA T-6 REBATE

Quote Originally Posted by ned64 View Post
    Hi dont know if this has been posted before. I was in O'Reilly auto parts today an in their flier they have Shell Rotella T6 Synthetic one gallon jug on sale for
    $26.99 After $7 mail in rebate makes it $ 19.99 a gallon. Limit 4 rebates per household.
    Another source is Walmart on sale now $ 19.99 minus rebate = $12.99 ........Mike

Spyder Garage

WOW Time to stock up

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

Spyder Garage

I wonder if they will still honor the rebate on the walmart ptice. Guess I`ll find out.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

Spyder Garage

Also $20 on Amazon.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

My. Ktm site is saying that they have changed the formula and it mite not still be m/c wet clutch rated I hope not because it has been the Best Buy and can be used in most everything
    2 happy happy spyders

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pegasus1300 View Post
    I wonder if they will still honor the rebate on the walmart ptice. Guess I`ll find out.
    I just received my rebate check for my purchase from Walmart, so you should be able to.
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Spyder Garage

That is a really good price on a really good oil. Thanks for the heads up. Mike aren't we about due for a sale on the Valvoline T4 synthetic?
    I gave up on Valvoline going on sale again and bought 4 gal. of Rotella.
    2015 RTS Special Series
    Russell Day Long seat
    F4 Customs windshield
    Sena 20s

Spyder Garage

Amazon carries it for $22 every day and routinely puts it on sale for 19. Rebate still valid as well.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by r1100rider View Post
    My. Ktm site is saying that they have changed the formula and it mite not still be m/c wet clutch rated I hope not because it has been the Best Buy and can be used in most everything
    Rest easy. Here is the current product data sheet straight from Shell. Still JASO MA2 rated.

https://rotella.shell.com/products/f...3/t6-5w-40.pdf

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
    Rest easy. Here is the current product data sheet straight from Shell. Still JASO MA2 rated.

https://rotella.shell.com/products/f...3/t6-5w-40.pdf
    Seems i read where it can't be used in the 998's. is that correct? tks

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by quasi View Post
    Seems i read where it can't be used in the 998's. is that correct? tks
    OK, where did you read that?

According to the owners manuals and the hundreds of oil threads here, JASO classified oils are fine for the 998s. Rotella T6 is JASO.
    2011 Spyder RT-S
    LtCol, USAF Ret
    Proud Patriot Guard Rider
    2011 RT , Yes Blue

Spyder Garage

The statement comes from a requirement from BRP that the 998 engines use an oil that DOES NOT meet API SM or above. Rotella may or may not do any harm to an older 998 but it does meet API spec above SM.

Out of an abundance of caution, we still stock Valvoline 4TStroke synthetic motorcycle oil for the 998s as it strictly meets ALL the BRP spec requirements. Technically Rotella T6 does not.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by r1100rider View Post
    Labels still say JASO MA2

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Labels still say JASO MA2
    yeah, with the jaso ma2 rating I don't understand why it is not suitable for the 998's with a sm5.