Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Rotella T6 full synthetic 5-40

Not about my Spyder but my wifes Yamaha 650. I changed her oil and used the above, put 2K on then I noticed a small sign that said it is heavy duty diesel oil. Will this cause a problem? Should I change it again? Will really have to read closer next time. Thanks for any help you can give.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MrBones View Post
    Not about my Spyder but my wifes Yamaha 650. I changed her oil and used the above, put 2K on then I noticed a small sign that said it is heavy duty diesel oil. Will this cause a problem? Should I change it again? Will really have to read closer next time. Thanks for any help you can give.
    Nope, you are fine. But after 2k, the oil has probably sheared to a 30 weight. As long as you are reading the bottle, take note that Rotella is JASO MA, which is fine for your Yammies clutch. Run the 15w40 next time, it's a little better at staying in grade.

Spyder Garage

I would probably worry more about the viscosity than the oil type. Is that light an oil what is recommended for the Yammie?
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

What is it about the Spyder SE clutch that makes this oil not useable when it works fine for other bikes with wet clutches? Have used it for years in Harley's and many other vehicles. The 5W40 is a full synthetic, the 15w40 is not. Both have nearly the same viscosity at 100 deg C.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

All 40 weight oils will fall into the same viscosity range at 100C. Doesn't matter whether they're 0W40, 5W40, 10W40, 15W40 or straight 40 weight. The xxW portion of the rating denotes cold temperature flow characteristics.

I think the issue with Rotella T6 is that it is also SM rated, which indicates the additive package has friction modifiers that BRP feels are incompatible with the Spyder clutch.
    Last edited by OldCowboy; 11-10-2013 at 04:58 PM. Reason: Add info

Silver Shadow
    2013 RT-S Lamonster Edition (vented windshield,
    NBV highway pegs, Two Brothers exhaust)
    Additional Mods: SpyderPops BumpSkid, Elka 1+ shocks, BajaRon Anti-Sway Bar

A Veteran is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to “The United States of America,” for an amount of “up to and including my life.”

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MrBones View Post
    T6 rotella from shell, I use it in my rt and I used it in my meanstreak, I called shell and they said it would not cause my clutch to slip and it meets all of can am's requirements. 70,000 on my meanstreak 18,000 on my rt all is a ok, imo

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by johnwinslow View Post
    T6 rotella from shell, I use it in my rt and I used it in my meanstreak, I called shell and they said it would not cause my clutch to slip and it meets all of can am's requirements. 70,000 on my meanstreak 18,000 on my rt all is a ok, imo
    As has been repeated over and over again. In your owners manual it warns not to use any oil rated SM. Since Rottella T6 is rated SM and since there are lots of choices that are not. Why not choose something else? When you called Shell did you tell them that your owners manual warned you not to use SM rated oil and then did they tell you to disregard the manufactures guidelines?

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

I am using it in my VTX 1300.......many on the VTX site use it......haven't done an oil change myself on the Spyder, but thinking about it soon.

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the replies. Relieves my mind, I have used it for years in my Valkyrie but it didn't have the diesel sign. And Scotty yep Yamaha says 40W.

Spyder Garage

Default the truth about motor oils

http://www.post610.org/truth_about_motorcycle_oils.htm http://lubematch.shell.com/us/en_US/...oadster_075559 try both sites first is a lot of interesting reading the second is from the shell site and they make motorcycle specific oil.
    Last edited by johnwinslow; 11-11-2013 at 12:55 PM.

Spyder Garage

Did you actually read the whole link you posted. It is out of date and does not reference the API designation of SM. It also warns that you take the risk for clutch slippage if you use SJ oil because of friction modifiers and the author actually recommends using an inexpensive synthetic motorcycle oils which is exempt from using friction modifiers in the SJ spec. So thank you for posting a link that proves my point.

The reason I keep harping on this subject is that before I knew any better I use Rottella T6 once following recommendations from folks like you and seeing that it meet the JASO MA spec for clutch slippage. Well the clutch started slipping in my 09 GS under hard acceleration. At first I felt something different but was not sure but suspected maybe the clutch was slipping but when I got the Transmission Failure warning I knew. With only 700 miles on that oil I dumped the oil and changed filters. After the oil change it still took a couple hundred miles before the feeling of slippage went away.

Now you can use what ever oil you want that is your choice. You may not drive aggressively and notice a problem. But if you recommend an oil that I tried and had a problem with and BRP tells you not to use, I have to speak up.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

The Spyder clutch seems to be more susceptible to clutch slippage than most wet clutch motorcycles. It could be the clutch compounds BRP is using, lower clutch pressure (to make the clutch easier to pull) or a combination of things. BRP designed this clutch mechanism to work well within the designated specifications for lubrication. Outside of that, you're on your own.

Several people have experienced clutch slippage with their Spyder using oil that works fine in another wet clutch machine. This includes Rotella.

When you see a JASO MA rated oil, this does not indicate a point on a chart for slippage characteristics. Instead, it means that the oil falls within a spread on the slippage chart. It could be at the very bottom of the MA rating or it could be near the top of the MA rating. They are not going to tell you that.

JASO MA2 rated oils are better at preventing clutch slippage and start where the MA (or more accurately MA1) oils stop. /_______________MA1________________/_________________MA2_________________/ So you can see that there is quite a difference between oils at the low end of the MA spread and oils at the top of the MA2 spread.

One of the reasons I use Amsoil is because it is near the top of the MA2 rating which gives me great protection against clutch slippage as well as superior lubrication of engine and transmission components.

Slippage can be inciduous, especially if you do not ride aggressively. You can be getting some without necessarily knowing it until you need a new clutch pack. A more aggressive rider, or one that is heavily loaded (like pulling a trailer or riding 2 up) will usually discover clutch slippage pretty quickly.
    Last edited by BajaRon; 11-11-2013 at 03:39 PM.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Default rotella t6 oil

Anyone running this oil in a 1330 ?
    If so have you had it tested ?

spyder stryder

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Along those lines...what oil is best for the 1330?
    I was at a bike show yesterday and a guy was trying to sell me on Spectro Full Synth Platinum 4 oil in 10w40.
    I didn't buy.
    What say ye?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Spyder Garage

im waiting too.
    2015 rts-white pearl- mods- '16 F3 fat 6 chrome wheels,
    and some little stuff. setback utopia backrest, baja ron
    sway bar, oem adj. air deflectors, marlin gps compass,
    lamonster fbb foot pegs[modified brackets], lamonts
    vibration damper, rock guard, and side case stiffener kit,
    . brp comfort seat. , fomozas and
    altimax, magic mirror mts, and wide mirrors.
    [joyce & irvin toms]

Spyder Garage

Oh boy another oil thread. If you use an oil no matter what brand that meets the specs for your engine and change it on a regular schedule You will Not have an oil related failure. My personal favorites are Delo 400 and Rotella. Cheap and available anywhere.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mango Man View Post
    Along those lines...what oil is best for the 1330?
    I was at a bike show yesterday and a guy was trying to sell me on Spectro Full Synth Platinum 4 oil in 10w40.
    I didn't buy.
    What say ye?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
    What I say is irrelevant, however, that is an excellent product.
    2020 RTL SE6

Previously 2008 GS SM5 and 2014 RT SE6

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I have used T6 in other bikes and it was fine. It is Jaso MA. I think Blueknight911 uses it in his 2014.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

Default Rotella T6

Quote Originally Posted by spyder stryder View Post
    Anyone running this oil in a 1330 ?If so have you had it tested ? spyder stryder
    You are treading in deep water opening up a can of worms like "oil". Hahahaha!
    Regardless, I have used Rotella T6 in all of my motorcycles and now in my 2014 ST Limited. That is not the 1330 engine, I know, but I am willing to bet that Rotella T6 meetx/exceeds all BRP specifications for the 1330.
    2014 ST Limited

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default OIL

Quote Originally Posted by Highwayman2013 View Post
    I have used T6 in other bikes and it was fine. It is Jaso MA. I think Blueknight911 uses it in his 2014.
    I did once , it was OK ..... Then I discovered Valvoline 4 stroke full syn 10w/40 ( this is JASO Ma2 & has the second lowest amount of Moly in it - only Amsoil has less - Moly is BAD for our clutches ) ..... the Valvoline was actually cheaper at Wally world than the Rotella ....... Mike

Spyder Garage

Default BRP OIL

why all the commotion about oils....?
    just use the BRP Oil Kit... you can get the 1330 Kit online for around $80, and it includes the o-rings, filters, etc... that way there is NO guessing as to whether it's good or not....
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Can-Am-New-O...xVFvxg&vxp=mtr
    Dan P
    SPYD3R

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    I did once , it was OK ..... Then I discovered Valvoline 4 stroke full syn 10w/40 ( this is JASO Ma2 & has the second lowest amount of Moly in it - only Amsoil has less - Moly is BAD for our clutches ) ..... the Valvoline was actually cheaper at Wally world than the Rotella ....... Mike
    I'm going to try Amsoil after the break in on the 1330.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spyder stryder View Post
    Anyone running this oil in a 1330 ?
    If so have you had it tested ?

spyder stryder
    Yes,Yes
    and it meets all BRP specs for the 1330 bikes. Its what we stock for oil changes at our shop. It also seems to really smooth out the trans as well vs vs the BRP oil.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Default This is simple....

If it meets the specifications set by the manufacturer.....then your good to go. If you have doubts use BRP's oils....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Default oil

I haven't heard anything about the Rotella T 4 yet?
    [SIGPIC]