Spyder Garage

Default Hooking up heated gloves to Fuze Block

Greetings Spyder Lovers

I am getting ready to hook up my heated gloves to my fuze block and wanted to verify somethings before I screw something up.

The manual/guide list the power requirements as: 24W 2Amps 12volts

The inline fuse attached to the wires for connecting straight to the battery has a 15AMP fuse. Do I need to change the fuse to something lower since the max I can use on any terminal on the fuze block is 10Amps and the gloves are listed as 2Amps in the manual?

thank u
    If you ryde like there's no tomorrow, there won't be any
    Accidents hurt - safety doesn't

Very Active Member Silvervette05's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Arrow

I hooked up my heated gloves by hooking the Harley reostat (with fuse) directly to the battery, ran the wires under the seat to the left side of the
    plastic under the handle bars. If you need I can send you a pic of it when I get home this afternoon

Doc - Riverside

Quote Originally Posted by Topshotta View Post
    Greetings Spyder Lovers

I am getting ready to hook up my heated gloves to my fuze block and wanted to verify somethings before I screw something up.

The inline fuse attached to the wires for connecting straight to the battery has a 15AMP fuse. Do I need to change the fuse to something lower since the max I can use on any terminal on the fuze block is 10Amps and the gloves are listed as 2Amps in the manual?

thank u
    Number 1. What fuse block are you using? The 15 amp fuse you mention is to limit the total amperage supplied to the fuse block to 15AMPS.
    Number 2. How many accessory fuse locations are associated with your fuse block?
    Number 3. If you have an open fuse location put the 2AMP fuse in it and run that output to your gloves.

Spyder Garage

Default Heated glove fuse.

Greetings Spyder Lovers

thank u
    If the glove manufacturer supplied the wiring and 15 AMP. fuse there may be a reason. Perhaps there is an "inrush" current when the gloves are first turned on. I don't know this for a fact as I know nothing about heated gloves. Inrush current is a current surge or spike that occurs when some things like electric motors are first turned on. You could try replacing the 15 AMP. fuse with a lower rated one and see what happens. The worst that could happen is the fuse will blow. If it blows try a high AMP. fuse. In any event I would not connect a circuit with a 15 AMP. fuse to a fuse block that is only rated at 10 AMPS.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

The 15 amp fuse feeds the entire fuse block. Put the appropriate sized fuse in the slot assocaited with the output you connect to. In other words, leave the 15 there and put a 2 amp (or whatever the glove manufacturer recommends) in the slot that feeds the gloves.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    The 15 amp fuse feeds the entire fuse block. Put the appropriate sized fuse in the slot assocaited with the output you connect to. In other words, leave the 15 there and put a 2 amp (or whatever the glove manufacturer recommends) in the slot that feeds the gloves.
    Scotty,

The 15 amp fuse was on the end of the connection wire. (the 15 amp is an inline fuse that was set up for connecting the gloves directly to the battery). I was looking to connect it to one of the open slots on my fuse block rather than the battery.

Spyder Garage

Scotty,

The 15 amp fuse was on the end of the connection wire. (the 15 amp is an inline fuse that was set up for connecting the gloves directly to the battery). I was looking to connect it to one of the open slots on my fuse block rather than the battery.
    If the 15 amp fuse is in the coax harness for the gloves, it is too large. You can use it when connected through a 2 amp fuse in the fuseblock (i.e. "downstream"), but it would be better to replace that with a 2 amp fuse, too.
    -Scotty
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    If the 15 amp fuse is in the coax harness for the gloves, it is too large. You can use it when connected through a 2 amp fuse in the fuseblock (i.e. "downstream"), but it would be better to replace that with a 2 amp fuse, too.
    Yes, the 15 amp fuse came with the coax harness. I will go with a plain coax harness and connect it to the my fuze block since the gloves only draw 2 amps.

thanks

Spyder Garage

Yes, the 15 amp fuse came with the coax harness. I will go with a plain coax harness and connect it to the my fuze block since the gloves only draw 2 amps.

thanks
    It doesn't matter what they draw, as far as the harness is concerned. The plain harness will be protected by the fuse in the fuse block. That's how it is intended to be used. It can handle up to 15 amps.
    -Scotty

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Default One mpre question??

Since the manual states the gloves only draw 2 Amps, should I use exactly a 2 Amp fuse in the fuse box or should I use a 3 Amp?

http://www.motorcyclegear.com/neml_i...ower_usage.pdf

Thank you

Spyder Garage

With the full load current of the gloves being 2amps, a 2amp fuse over time, will get hot and probably blow. Why not fuse it at 10amps. Fuses are sized for the load the wiring can handle not the actual load. If the actual load exceeds the wiring capacity you will then have a meltdown of the wiring. Which in your case can't happen. Hope this helps.

Spyder Garage

The manual rating is the fuse they recommend. Normally, you would go up, but not in this case. Go with the 2 amp fuse. If you repeatedly blow them, move up to a 3 amp. JMHO
    -Scotty

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Default Thanks All

Thank you all for your response. Got it connected with a 2 amp fuse on the fuze block and changed the inline fuse on the harness from 15 to 5 amps. All seems well so far.

Spyder Garage

Default Heated Gloves

The gloves should come with a harness and a fuse on the harness.I called the manufacture and they said to hook the harness to the battery. They said in some cases you lose some power when going to the fuse box.

Spyder Garage

I cheated. I just installed a 12v cigarette lighter jack near my handle bars. In the winter I plug in not only my gloves but my heated jacket as well. Other times I used it drive other electronics.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default 12 VOLT

Quote Originally Posted by kbfk View Post
    I cheated. I just installed a 12v cigarette lighter jack near my handle bars. In the winter I plug in not only my gloves but my heated jacket as well. Other times I used it drive other electronics.

I WAS THINKING ABOUT INSTALLING A 12V CIG.LIGHTER ON MY DASH ALSO BUT DIDNT KNOW EXACTLY WHERE I WOULD WIRE IT INTO.
    THANKS
    CHUCK

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default HEATED GLOVES

CAN U GIVE ME THE LINK TO WEAR I CAN ORDER HEATED GLOVES PLEASE...US PEEPS IN THE COLD KENUCKY STATE WOULD LOVE WARM HANDS EVERY ONCE IN A WHILE.
    THANKS'
    CHUCK

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RidersInChrist View Post
    CAN U GIVE ME THE LINK TO WEAR I CAN ORDER HEATED GLOVES PLEASE...US PEEPS IN THE COLD KENUCKY STATE WOULD LOVE WARM HANDS EVERY ONCE IN A WHILE.
    THANKS'
    CHUCK
    Gerbings, Warm n Safe, Powerlet are just a few of the makers of heated gear for Motorcycle riders. BajaRon carries First Gear heated gear as well. You might want to consider a heated liner as well as the gloves or glove liners. The jacket liners have connectors in the sleeves for the gloves or glove liners. Lots of choices. There is a review of the players on Webbikeworld.com.
    I have a heated liner and glove liners since my main jacket and gloves are waterproof. They really make a difference when the temps fall and particularly when it rains as well.
    Love my

Statistics show that most motorcycle accidents are caused by a defective nut holding the handlbars.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default 12 volt

Quote Originally Posted by RidersInChrist View Post
    I WAS THINKING ABOUT INSTALLING A 12V CIG.LIGHTER ON MY DASH ALSO BUT DIDNT KNOW EXACTLY WHERE I WOULD WIRE IT INTO.
    THANKS
    CHUCK

can someone let me know where I would wire a 12 volt lighter into if I installed it on my dash...I have a 2012 RT .I don't know much about electrical but I can if someone either shows me from a pic or tells me.
    Thanks
    Chuck

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Trickie Dick View Post
    Gerbings, Warm n Safe, Powerlet are just a few of the makers of heated gear for Motorcycle riders. BajaRon carries First Gear heated gear as well. You might want to consider a heated liner as well as the gloves or glove liners. The jacket liners have connectors in the sleeves for the gloves or glove liners. Lots of choices. There is a review of the players on Webbikeworld.com.
    I have a heated liner and glove liners since my main jacket and gloves are waterproof. They really make a difference when the temps fall and particularly when it rains as well.
    Thanks l will look tomorrow at those different websites to see what's out there.i have waterproof gloves but just wanting something warmer and waterproof.might even slip in a vest or jacket.lol..I love to ride and I hate for people to ask about going riding and knowing to to cold lol..
    anyways thanks alot
    Chuck

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The instructions that came with my Gerbing's explains that depending on how many garments you're connecting to the controller, also depends on what size fuze you use.

I have a Gerber and gloves and liner with 15 amp fuse connected straight to the battery.

I got my Gerbing's equipment from Cyclegiant.com you can't beat their prices.

Susie - 2013 Spyder ST Limited
    1983-2004 Goldwings. (5)
    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red