Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by mdromaine View Post

BRPcare

Junior MemberJoin DateJun 2013LocationQuébec, CanadaPosts19Post Thanks / Like

Re: Your contact

Hello Mr Romaine,

We got your BUDS report about two and a half weeks ago and along with others we've received, we're using it to research the issue deeper - I don't have a timetable for you at this point.

The customer service rep you spoke to - Rémy - was correct in that we'd be following up with you. As soon as I have any info I'll let you know immediately.

Thank you,

Steve
    After-Sales Customer Satisfaction Coordinator
    Bombardier Recreational Products, Inc.

Follow us on Twitter @BRPCare

Do you know what your BUDS report showed?? I have a copy of mine here in front of me and it don't really say much and none of it talks about heat with the bike.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MouthPiece View Post
    I think it's time for me to take a break from Spyderlovers. Ya'll enjoy. I'm sure gonna.

Chris

See ya in a couple weeks, I take breaks from forums all the time.

I know some wish I took a break from this one.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default buds

Quote Originally Posted by 3 Wheel Addict View Post
    Do you know what your BUDS report showed?? I have a copy of mine here in front of me and it don't really say much and none of it talks about heat with the bike.
    steve told me by phone because he no longer wants to talk to me by e mail that my bike according to the buds report was running very hot but i don't have a copy of it

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cuznjohn View Post
    steve told me by phone because he no longer wants to talk to me by e mail that my bike according to the buds report was running very hot but i don't have a copy of it
    I imagine no emails since you used the secret password "lawyer".

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

John,

Ask the tech or service manger who did the Buds report to give you a copy.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

That could be a factor on your bike that mine or some don't have because mine does not run hot as far as engine temp goes. On my analog gauge it very seldom goes past half way and at half way the fan runs. Right now with temps in the 50's at speed i'm only at the first mark on the gauge and setting still it's half.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default No Idea

My tech told me that the BRP tech's have a way of reading the reports. I was told my was running hot and I was shifting at the correct rpm's.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

That could be a factor on your bike that mine or some don't have because mine does not run hot as far as engine temp goes. On my analog gauge it very seldom goes past half way and at half way the fan runs. Right now with temps in the 50's at speed i'm only at the first mark on the gauge and setting still it's half.
    I have never seen 1 bar after I pull on to the main road even in 40 deg weather lowest I have seen is 4 bars mostly 5 (1/2 analog) and 6 sitting still for too long (fan kicks on).

Spyder Garage

Do RT's have the same bar gauge as an ST ?

You say running at the first mark, I've never seen mine below 3 bars after warming up, and normally runs 4-5 bars.

Cooler in the 60's the other day and it stayed at 5 bars most of my ride....but didn't feel any heat on my legs or feet?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Magdave View Post
    I have never seen 1 bar after I pull on to the main road even in 40 deg weather lowest I have seen is 4 bars mostly 5 (1/2 analog) and 6 sitting still for too long (fan kicks on).

I was posting about the same thing at the same time.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SNOOPY View Post
    Do RT's have the same bar gauge as an ST ?

You say running at the first mark, I've never seen mine below 3 bars after warming up, and normally runs 4-5 bars.

Cooler in the 60's the other day and it stayed at 5 bars most of my ride....but didn't feel any heat on my legs or feet?
    He was talking anlog we were talking IIOOIOIOOIIOIOIOOOIO

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The bikes that are running hot (and presumable lean...) do need some electronic relief; either a BRP re-flash, or an afternmarket fuel controller).
    I certainly DO NOT mean to insult anybody with my questioning of a persons' riding gear; it's a valid qiesiton that unfortunately should be asked as part of trying to figure out what's going on...
    Char,
    I know you, Mark, your riding experience... and I've kept a careful watch for your reports.
    You would be the LAST person on the Planet, that I would accuse of making a mountain out of a molehill...
    The thing is; I don't know a thing about our latest person who has stepped up tot eh mike to complain...
    So I assume nothing; I look at all avenues and all possibilities...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

He was talking anlog we were talking IIOOIOIOOIIOIOIOOOIO
    Do the RT's have 2 types of temp gauge? Or is this a separate gauge he uses?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SNOOPY View Post
    Do the RT's have 2 types of temp gauge? Or is this a separate gauge he uses?
    Plain RTs only have the digital LCD gauges. RTS & RTL have 2 analog gauges in the outer holes that a lot of people unplug ( which reverts them back to LCD digital) because they are so bouncy and inaccurate. They are pretty useless. but look good

Spyder Garage

Plain RTs only have the digital LCD gauges. RTS & RTL have 2 analog gauges in the outer holes that a lot of people unplug ( which reverts them back to LCD digital) because they are so bouncy and inaccurate. They are pretty useless. but look good

Gotcha thanks, this makes more sense now.

So maybe RT owners only glance at their analog temp gauge when it has bounced up and think their bikes are running hot? lol

hiding now....

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default riding gear

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    The bikes that are running hot (and presumable lean...) do need some electronic relief; either a BRP re-flash, or an afternmarket fuel controller).
    I certainly DO NOT mean to insult anybody with my questioning of a persons' riding gear; it's a valid qiesiton that unfortunately should be asked as part of trying to figure out what's going on...
    Char,
    I know you, Mark, your riding experience... and I've kept a careful watch for your reports.
    You would be the LAST person on the Planet, that I would accuse of making a mountain out of a molehill...
    The thing is; I don't know a thing about our latest person who has stepped up tot eh mike to complain...
    So I assume nothing; I look at all avenues and all possibilities...
    i ware jeans and work boots, my but has really only got hot after the recall for some reason, i don't remember feeling it b4 on the seat even with the high temp readings i was getting but now i do. i ware jeans because of my size, i tried leather once and two farmers with milking stools and pails were following me and one guy wearing a boa around his neck

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Actually, my analog fuel and temp gauges work pretty darn well. Had my original fuel gauge replaced and the bouncing went away.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Not to derail the thread, but the people who used to complain bitterly about the excess heat in 2010 to 2012 RTs (which, fortunately, my RT never had) seem to have quieted down since the 2013s came out.

Or so it seems...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by flaggerphil View Post
    Not to derail the thread, but the people who used to complain bitterly about the excess heat in 2010 to 2012 RTs (which, fortunately, my RT never had) seem to have quieted down since the 2013s came out.

Or so it seems...

That is because it was normal as BRP has told them. Your going to get heat from the radiator period. They also had doable after market solutions that the 13 owners do not have and none of them caught on fire or had melted parts because of the heat. 2012 can count themselves lucky and now they know it compared to the 2013's

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I'm not sure this means anything---but---on my 2012 RT--I removed both the large plastic panels under the engine. One (left side) to assist in oil changes, and the other (right side) I just left off when I install the NBV highway pegs. While I never really had a huge heat issue with the machine, removing those plastic panels made a HUGE difference. Now when i ride, the temp gauge never goes past the quarter mark. I don't know if the 2013's have those panels, but in my opinion they are useless--try removing them and see what happens.

Teddys favorite human
    Spyder Garage

Exclamation I think this may be a case of Unintended Consequences as we've experienced ourselves

my but has really only got hot after the recall for some reason, i don't remember feeling it b4 on the seat even with the high temp readings i was getting but now i do
    I'm NOT saying this IS the case or not, just relaying my own personal experience that would seem related, in an effort to help others to understand what may be going on here.

Back in the summer, Teddy & I were on a ryde & got down to empty of the fuel gauge & just barely made it to the fuel station. It was about 87F degrees out & when I went to open the (New/Updated) fuel cap on Teds Red Sled (2011 SpyderFest Eddition RT-S) it wouldn't open, it would just spin & click in either direction. After 10 minutes of struggling, I was about to give up & it suddenly grabbed and allowed me to remove it.

At the time, I was thinking about all the threads about heat problems and boiling gas and figured that must have been our issue. Later I was enlightened that the Spyders Fuel System is vented, so it couldn't have really been a pressure issue like I originally thought, more along the lines of a sticking fuel-cap than anything most probably.

Anyways, to the subject at hand, I figured I'd be pro-active and take a page from BRPs Band-Aid drawer and ordered some of the Heat-Reflective material like they are using to protect the melting parts on some of the 2013s. I got it & promptly installed it all around the fuel tank, in the hopes of stopping the tank & fuel from absorbing so much heat.

Mind you now, I've never really had issues or complaints about 'Boiling Gas' or 'Extreme Fumes' after a ryde, but this was more a proactive approach that I figured couldn't hurt, cause at the time, I was thinking with my fuel being so low, whatever was in their was surely boiling, and that was causing my issue of not being able to release the fuel cap, which I now know was an incorrect assumption

I'm Happy to report, my project worked just as planned, and I now know that my fuel tank and subsequent fuel are not absorbing nearly as much heat as before. How do I know this? Cause now, like you, we also have a heated seat And it makes total sense. If the heat can no longer be absorbed by the tank and fuel, well then its got to go somewhere else and we all know that heat rises and the only other place to go is to the seat

Unintended Consequence at its best, and you know what, right now, since we're getting into the winter ryding season for us, I'm Loving it Luckily for us, when it warms up and a heated seat isn't so desired, we've got that covered as well, with having our home-made forced air system, with the flip of a button, within one minute, we're back to ambient outside temps

If I were a bet'n man, I'd say this is what your experiencing as well

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

QUOTE CUZNJOHN. my but has really only got hot after the recall for some reason, i don't remember feeling it b4 on the seat even with the high temp readings i was getting but now i do.

I had my recall done at my 600 mile service. After that is when I noticed the heat at the glovebox area also. I thought it was just me cause I had only rode 600 miles at that point and didn't notice it before that. I also said to my wife the other day that is when I noticed the heat. My bike is not real hot at my feet. Its the top of the bike after a short ride the backbone of the bike under the seat is so hot you can't touch it. On a little longer ride you can hear the gas boiling when you park it.
    Last edited by RBS66; 11-05-2013 at 07:16 AM.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

In a nutshell yes. I don't seem to have the hot engine temps that some have but the boiling fuel and extremely hot gas tank and cap. As far as the engine goes I think it runs great and does not get any hotter than any other bike I have owned in the past. I have no issues with heat blowing out the right side, I know there is a radiator there and it's sole job is to expel heat. My concerns are the extremely hot gas tank and cap, the thigh roasting heat coming out of the cracks around the front of the seat and the plastic panels getting to well over 110 degrees. Not to mention everything being cooked by the heat. When I first started complaining about the heat even some of the people I ride with thought I was nuts till we stopped for fuel one day and I had a friend remove my fuel cap. He thought that was just nuts that the company would allow that to happen, his wife bought me this tool to help with fill ups as a joke and now it's the current riding joke.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Motorbike Professor
    Spyder Garage

Heat from the radiator discharge is normal, 150 degree gas caps are not, in my opinion. It is fascinating that there could be a policy that allows producing a product with serious deficiencies, which is not up to the standards of the previous products or the industry, then trying to pawn it off as "normal". On the other hand, when approaching BRP with this problem owners need to be very specific about the heat source and perception. Saying "My right foot gets hot" is not going to go too far, Showing a photo of a thermometer reading 160 at the gas cap and complaining (possibly to the NHTSA) about boiling fuel would be another story. That type of problem should be addressed. It is not "normal".....no matter how "common" it is for the 2013's

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thank you...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black