Spyder Garage

Angry First Coast Powersports-St Augustine: My service experience

I made an appointment and brought the 2011 RT in to them on Tuesday 10/29 with several items that needed attention, most of which I suspected would be warranty items (one headlight is not working, the backlight on the fuel gauge works intermittently, the rear shock will not hold air, the brake light turns on when the parking brake is set, excessive heat in the rear (perhaps exhaust seals), blown rear speaker). I did not buy the Spyder from this dealer. They called late Tuesday to advise they would do a diagnostic for $160 and contact me before they proceeded. I did not hear from them on Wednesday. I called them 11am on Thursday and they advised they had not yet looked at the bike but they would call when they did. I went to the shop Friday morning--they still had not begun to look at the bike. They promised they would complete the diagnostic by the end of Friday. Did not hear from them and called them Friday at 4:30. They still had not begun to look at the bike but again promised to have it done the next day (today, Saturday 11/2). I advised them not to do anything and that I would pick up the bike today instead. I picked it up at noon, quite a bit dirtier and wetter (its been raining) than when I dropped it off. I have no plans to return to this dealer for any work, or for any reason whatsoever.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Wazoo View Post
    I made an appointment and brought the 2011 RT in to them on Tuesday 10/29 with several items that needed attention, most of which I suspected would be warranty items (one headlight is not working, the backlight on the fuel gauge works intermittently, the rear shock will not hold air, the brake light turns on when the parking brake is set, excessive heat in the rear (perhaps exhaust seals), blown rear speaker). I did not buy the Spyder from this dealer. They called late Tuesday to advise they would do a diagnostic for $160 and contact me before they proceeded. I did not hear from them on Wednesday. I called them 11am on Thursday and they advised they had not yet looked at the bike but they would call when they did. I went to the shop Friday morning--they still had not begun to look at the bike. They promised they would complete the diagnostic by the end of Friday. Did not hear from them and called them Friday at 4:30. They still had not begun to look at the bike but again promised to have it done the next day (today, Saturday 11/2). I advised them not to do anything and that I would pick up the bike today instead. I picked it up at noon, quite a bit dirtier and wetter (its been raining) than when I dropped it off. I have no plans to return to this dealer for any work, or for any reason whatsoever.
    Sounds like a good decision on your part. Hope they have a good dealer in your area.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Sorry to hear of the problems you have had. I don't know if everything you listed would be covered under warranty but they should have checked it out quickly, without a doubt.

I have had good support from Jacksonville Powersports on Atlantic. They have a good service department and they are a Platinum dealer. I would highly recommend them for your maintenance. They are not cheap but I have not heard of any major problems with their Spyder program. I would highly recommend you call them first and make an appointment. Some days they are busier than others.

PM me if you have any specific questions ... Good Luck.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

That my friend, is called, the run a round

Spyder Garage

"Let us not look back in anger or forward in fear, but around in awareness." ~ James Thurber

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I hope you have better luck somewhere else. I think you did the right thing in picking it up.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by flaggerphil View Post
    Hope they have a good dealer in your area.
    This gentelman's horror story is the #1 reason I'm holding off on buying an RT. This forum is littered with similar stories of inconsiderate, inconsistent and wildly expensive shops. Is there a list somewhere of which dealerships have attained the coveted Platinum Dealership status, for whatever that's worth???????????????????????????????
    Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MikeT View Post
    This gentelman's horror story is the #1 reason I'm holding off on buying an RT. This forum is littered with similar stories of inconsiderate, inconsistent and wildly expensive shops. Is there a list somewhere of which dealerships have attained the coveted Platinum Dealership status, for whatever that's worth???????????????????????????????
    Mike
    Search here for best results try searching ATV first for some reason when using roadster it doesn't give you all the dealers

http://www.brp.com/BRPDEALERLOCATOR/Search.aspx

Last edited by Magdave; 11-15-2013 at 11:45 AM.

Spyder Garage

Mike
    You are right on when you say its pretty scarry reading on here sometimes. The bad dealers (one referred to above) are out there for sure. BRP should do something about dealers with consistent complaints and bad service departments--but I am guessing that is in the future.

That said, there are also some very good dealers out there that give good customer service and that get it right the first time. We used to have a list of recommended dealers listed state by state, but I do not see that of recent vintage.

You can get good information by posting a "Where should I go for a good dealership in _______?" This too, helps weed out the bad dealers. All dealers, are not going to please all of the customers, all of the time, but some dealers stand out as being really bad--all by themselves.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 11-15-2013 at 04:03 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Mike
    First of all there are plenty of GOOD dealers out there. The pleasure of owning, riding and farkling a Spyder is worth finding the right dealer for you. Without a second thought I can recommend RT Sales in Zulu Indiana. There may be ones closer to you but I do not Know. Remember for every negative post there are hundreds of good stories that have not been told. The Key is to develop a relationship with your dealer from the first visit. Think of them as your dog, feed them a little food and love and they will return it many fold. Kick them and starve them and you know what happens.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Frank G View Post
    First of all there are plenty of GOOD dealers out there. The pleasure of owning, riding and farkling a Spyder is worth finding the right dealer for you. Without a second thought I can recommend RT Sales in Zulu Indiana. There may be ones closer to you but I do not Know. Remember for every negative post there are hundreds of good stories that have not been told. The Key is to develop a relationship with your dealer from the first visit. Think of them as your dog, feed them a little food and love and they will return it many fold. Kick them and starve them and you know what happens.
    But what do you do when they pee on your leg

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Some dealers do not want to work on a bike if you did not buy it from them. I bought three bikes from a dealer in se florida and one out of state at a delaer in ct when I lived there for a short time. When I returned to fl that same dealer I bought 3 bikes from did a lousy service job on the ct bike and inplied I had to buy a bike from them if I wanted good service.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spydercatjohn View Post
    Some dealers do not want to work on a bike if you did not buy it from them. I bought three bikes from a dealer in se florida and one out of state at a delaer in ct when I lived there for a short time. When I returned to fl that same dealer I bought 3 bikes from did a lousy service job on the ct bike and inplied I had to buy a bike from them if I wanted good service.
    It's not like they don't bend you over on the dealer service prices it should not matter where you bought it they are making money working on it. I have heard that reported by others though some dealers are just

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Wazoo View Post
    I made an appointment and brought the 2011 RT in to them on T
    uesday 10/29 with several items that needed attention, most of which I suspected would be warranty items (one headlight is not working, the backlight on the fuel gauge works intermittently, the rear shock will not hold air, the brake light turns on when the parking brake is set, excessive heat in the rear (perhaps exhaust seals), blown rear speaker). I did not buy the Spyder from this dealer. They called late Tuesday to advise they would do a diagnostic for $160 and contact me before they proceeded. I did not hear from them on Wednesday. I called them 11am on Thursday and they advised they had not yet looked at the bike but they would call when they did. I went to the shop Friday morning--they still had not begun to look at the bike. They promised they would complete the diagnostic by the end of Friday. Did not hear from them and called them Friday at 4:30. They still had not begun to look at the bike but again promised to have it done the next day (today, Saturday 11/2). I advised them not to do anything and that I would pick up the bike today instead. I picked it up at noon, quite a bit dirtier and wetter (its been raining) than when I dropped it off. I have no plans to return to this dealer for any work, or for any reason whatsoever.

i have heard rumors or biker gossip that they are on their way out financially. A fellow żSpyder owner off of SR-207 comes to Holly Hill, Daytona Fun Machines and is pleased that I introduced him to them.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spydercatjohn View Post
    If a dealer pulled that on me he wouldn't be my dealer much longer.

Spyder Garage

My dealer, Rusty Palmer in Honesdale, PA., repairs any make model even if they don't sell that make. They also give preferential treatment to those that bought their bike there. A couple of BMW riders get their bikes serviced there because the shop rate is less $$ than at BMW dealers. LOL So, IMHO, it pays to buy and service at the same dealer. I also buy local. But I demand good service, sales, parts. When I asked for an after market part for my wing. The parts guy had never heard of it. Two days later I got a call that he had found a supplier for it. He ordered it with out a deposit! Tom

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

AMEN!!!!!!!!

That dealership does suck! I have been waiting on a call from that dealership for an install of a warranty part for a month. Still haven't heard from them. The part is for the Rt center console storage. My rear hand heaters don't work. DEFINITELY not going to them to get it looked at or the other part installed.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

My mind is set now! I'm getting hold of the owner. Expressing my issues and your issues from this post and it will get fixed or they won't be a dealer for BRP.!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Magdave View Post
    Search here for best results try searching ATV first for some reason when using roadster it doesn't give you all the dealers
    http://www.brp.com/BRPDEALERLOCATOR/Search.aspx
    Thanks for this info. Based on what I found, the closest Platinum dealer to me is across the border min my neighboring state of IL. That assumes that the Platinum dealers are the "best of the best" in both sales and service (customer & trike). It's too bad one has to travel so far.
    Mike