Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default New guy looking for guidance

Hey everyone,

I am interested in Spyders and looking for some help.

First, let me give you a brief history. Back in April I sold my 2008 Victory Vision and have been missing (my wife more than me). I am a father of three with the oldest being 14 and the youngest 7. Why did I sell the Vision? Because people on the road are idiots. My son and I were on our way home from our church when the person in front of me stopped to turn left. I stopped but the person behind me locked up her brakes and clipped us just enough to knock us off. We weren't hurt, but I became nervous about riding with all these dummies on the road.

Why am I looking at Spyders? Because I enjoy riding. My wife and I went to Rolling Thunder back in 2012 and had a great time. I also like to ride with the Patriot Guard. The reason I am considering the Spyder is that I believe it is much more visible on the road and, to put it simply, can't fall over on top of you. I will say that the Vision is wonderful. It has built in tip-overs which functioned perfectly when we got knocked over.

So my questions to all of you:

1. Do you agree that Spyders are safer and more visible than the 2 wheelers?

2. Are there any models/years to stay away from?

3. Do I need a touring model in order for the wife to be comfortable on the back?

4. Anybody selling one in the southeast?

THats really about all. Having been a member of the Vision Riders forum, I look forward to your help, knowledge, and general friendliness.

Thanks,

Paul

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Microjedi View Post
    Hey everyone,

First, let me give you a brief history. Back in April I sold my 2008 Victory Vision and have been missing (my wife more than me). I am a father of three with the oldest being 14 and the youngest 7. Why did I sell the Vision? Because people on the road are idiots. My son and I were on our way home from our church when the person in front of me stopped to turn left. I stopped but the person behind me locked up her brakes and clipped us just enough to knock us off. We weren't hurt, but I became nervous about riding with all these dummies on the road.

Why am I looking at Spyders? Because I enjoy riding. My wife and I went to Rolling Thunder back in 2012 and had a great time. I also like to ride with the Patriot Guard. The reason I am considering the Spyder is that I believe it is much more visible on the road and, to put it simply, can't fall over on top of you. I will say that the Vision is wonderful. It has built in tip-overs which functioned perfectly when we got knocked over.

3. Do I need a touring model in order for the wife to be comfortable on the back?

THats really about all. Having been a member of the Vision Riders forum, I look forward to your help, knowledge, and general friendliness.

Thanks,

Paul
    1. I definitely feel that Spyders are safer and more visible, that was one of my reasons for purchasing one.

2. There have been some problems with the 2013's. I have a 2012 RT Limited and I have almost 11,000 trouble free miles on it.

3. The RT has very comfortable rear seating.

4. ?

2012 Spyder RT Limited
    Guardian Bell (gift from son)
    Spyderpops bumpskid
    ISCI hand brake
    BajaRon Anti-Sway Bar
    BRP Adjustable Wind Deflectors

Spyder Garage

I believe that they are more visable but STUPID is STUPID Many peeps say stay away from 2013's. I have had mine since May 8th and have had very few problems and none that weren't fixed by dealership in a very reasonable time. There are some very favorable deals on them right now. Only having a RT I can not speak for RS's but my wife "REALLY" likes riding two up on the RT. It is raining and 40 degrees here this morning and my wife said it was to bad that we couldn't take a short ride for breakfast out. Good luck on your research. I do not think you will regret your decision to get a Spyder.
    2015 RTSE, Red Pearl, Shorty Antenna, Chrome Rear Rack, Deer Whistles, BajaRon Anti-sway Bar

Spyder Garage

Paul,

I quit riding in 1984 after a pickup truck pulled out in front of me while riding my 100RT BMW. I was lucky, broke my wrist, the BMW was totaled. I chose the Spyder primarly because I have bad knees and bad back and did not want to hold up a two-wheeler. There will be many answers to your questions

1. Is it safer -- Maybe, it is larger, and i have put lots of LED's to make it visible, but nothing will protect you from some of the idiots that drive today.

2. Several years have had heat problems.. The 2013 seems to be one to avoid until BRP can fix the issues that are described on the forum.

3. I have an RT, and it is a comfortable ride. If you plan to tour with your wife, that would be my suggestion.

4. I have seen an RT for sale in Alabama.. Look in the sale section of the forum, or search online.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

2012 RT Limited
    SpiderWrap Graphics
    KewlMetal DualKewl FenderZ Running Lights
    TricLED Dual Running & Brake Lights
    Seal Floorboards
    Bajaron Anti-Sway Bar
    Utopia Backrest
    Diamond R Luggage Rack
    SpyderPops Upper Blockoff
    SpyderPops Catalytic Converter Shield

Spyder Garage

Hey everyone,

Thanks,

Paul
    Paul, I don't know if Spyders are more visible (1), but I sure feel safer. I feel MUCH more stable. Some folks have taken pretty good hits and come out MUCH better than if they were on two wheels. Also, I don't worry about gravel, rain, RR tracks, tar snakes… Reverse, even with your wife as a passenger, is REALLY nice! These things are just plain FUN to ride. (2) I have a 2013 RT and I love riding it. I have NOT had the problems that some have had. Wish I could tell you why. I wish BRP could tell us why. Have had a toasty right foot from time to time, but that is a quirk of all the RTs from 2010-2013. Supposedly 2014 took care of that. (3) I have the RT and have had H/D Ultras and Goldwings. You passenger will NOT be disappointed in the comfort of a Spyder RT. Others will have to give an opinion on RS and ST models. Good luck, but don't test drive one unless you are serious! They tend to be ADDICTING!!

Spyder Garage

You have mentioned visibility, but you have not mentioned stability. In an incident, the Spyder is far and away less likely to tip or fall and put you on the ground. In addition, IMO it is more stable at speed in a turn or on an off-camber surface han a conventional trike. As to visibility, I highly recommend the Custom Dynamics HMT or TricLED third taillight strip (or both) and the Custom Dynamics Mudflap Lights. Their Bright-Sides do the same laterally, if you wish. It also pays to wear hi-vis clothing and helmets. The RT is the most comfortable...especially for the passenger.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Hey everyone,

Thanks,

Paul
    You have come at a fun time. The annual changeover for new models. Your questions:
    : 1. The larger footprint is more visable to MOST drivers. A bright color also helps. Safer--that depends on you the driver. One must drive very defensively these days.
    : 2. If you read the site--you are probably advised to leave the 2013's alone--unless you are looking for a real deal. There have been both good and bad comments on the 2013's.
    : 3. I have had both RS and RT models. The RT (touring) is built with a little more comfort in mind for the passenger. Recommend test driving and see what you like the best.
    : 4. Check our for sale section. There are lots of 's for sale--all over the country.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Are they safer? Well; they're not quite as safe as sound defensive riding tactics... But they ain't too bad!
    The RTs are FAR more comfortable for the Co-Pilot; keeping her happy is what it's all about; right?
    The 2012 RTs have the best track record so far... The 2010s had soft front suspensions, and throttle body systems that liked to die at inopportune moments... The 2011s were a transitional year, that still had some TB issues; but they're not a bad second choice!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default Seems to me..!!

all your points have been covered...now go out and test ryde them and get an opinion of your own which will really make or break your decision. Great machine with a lot of techy stuff. ABS brakes stability controls etc etc..so even if you over do it it will correct and keep you and your passenger safe...good luck and we'll see you on the road...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Cool Spyder choices

We have a 2011 RT which is our first one . Been riding from 1955 to 1996 break restarted 2011. If you pick a light bright color and add safety vests to your ensemble you have done everything you can do for safety. Ride like your invisible helps too. I went two steps further with our see my web site http://www.wa4idi.org.

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

We have a 2012 RT Limited and a 2010 Vulcan Voyager, I have about 1500 miles on the Spyder and I can say there is much less drama from rain, gravel in turns, tipping over when stopped in iffy places. Yes I feel more conspicuous on the road and two up is very comfortable. The RT is my wife's if I want to ride a spyder more I may need my own. Hmm new Indian Chieftain or Spyder RT? Ah choices.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Ledford View Post
    We have a 2011 RT which is our first one . Been riding from 1955 to 1996 break restarted 2011. If you pick a light bright color and add safety vests to your ensemble you have done everything you can do for safety. Ride like your invisible helps too. I went two steps further with our see my web site http://www.wa4idi.org.

Now that was a pretty cool idea of painting the rear of the RT. I really like that and think I will borrow your idea once a 14 arrives.

I used a different pic of the before just for reference.

Unknown.jpeg
    BEFORE

reflect-mod-r-pan_small.jpg
    AFTER

Spyder Garage

Another common tip gleaned from here is that the dealer makes a huge difference. There are some horrible ones out there and some good ones. Check out the dealers in your area. It is not uncommon for the closest dealer to be an hour drive and the closest GOOD dealer to be 2-3 hours. The other NC folks here can guide you. Good luck.

Spyder Garage

Welcome to Spyderlovers Paul,
    Here are my thoughts on your questions:

1. Do you agree that Spyders are safer and more visible than the 2 wheelers? I would say yes they are. I can spot them more and I have been told I am more visible.

2. Are there any models/years to stay away from? Some will say yes and some will say no. I like them all.

3. Do I need a touring model in order for the wife to be comfortable on the back? The wife and I just did over 3000 miles two up and she enjoyed it so much she is looking at one for her self.

4. Anybody selling one in the southeast? I am not far from you and I have a 2012 that I am selling since I am getting a 2014. I am only 2.5 hours away. If you would like you can send me a PM and we can set an appointment to meet up.

- Dan

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Thanks

Thank you everyone. I really appreciate the replies. I must admit that I take some pride in my driving ability both on a bike and in a car. I follow my dad's advice which is to "drive as if every other driver on the road is an idiot." This advice has served me well through the years. My wife is all set to find something. She is still mad that I sold my Vision. I imagine she would end up taking the Spyder to work now and then if we got one.

I've been through the For Sale section and I will keep watching. My father-in-law has his eye on one in VA, but he has to sell his Goldwing first. It's a 2008 with 20k miles and a lot of upgrades for under $15k. If he can't get it, I might take a look myself.

I will appreciate any more replies. Thanks again.

Spyder Garage

Thank you everyone. I really appreciate the replies. I must admit that I take some pride in my driving ability both on a bike and in a car. I follow my dad's advice which is to "drive as if every other driver on the road is an idiot." This advice has served me well through the years. My wife is all set to find something. She is still mad that I sold my Vision. I imagine she would end up taking the Spyder to work now and then if we got one.

I've been through the For Sale section and I will keep watching. My father-in-law has his eye on one in VA, but he has to sell his Goldwing first. It's a 2008 with 20k miles and a lot of upgrades for under $15k. If he can't get it, I might take a look myself.

I will appreciate any more replies. Thanks again.
    Take a test ride or two. That should tell you what you want to know...and your wife will know if she likes it, too.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Keep you Navigator happy at all costs!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member Don in E Texas's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default My $.02

Far safer for obvious reasons - and may be more visible, but there are those that run Red lights, etc. that can ruin your day. Just two days ago, I was waiting for the light to change to Green - when it did, I looked to my right and saw an 18 wheeler coming and there was no way he was going to stop - yep, he ran 100% thru the Red light!

Two questions here. Models: you need to decide. I had an '08 and the wife did not like to ride as a passenger - wind would blast her (yes, I had an oversize aftermarket windshield). She loves the '10 RT! My RT has great lights, so I'll ride it at night while I'd park the '08 (yes, I know for a few hundred bucks I can upgrade lights). RT has far better wind and weather protection plus heated grips so I'll ride it in Months that my '08 would have been parked.

I know of no year bikes to stay away from. The 2013 model has many owners that have issues; and also many owners of 2013's that have none. We are all hoping issues get resolved. Some don't like the first year of a new model - I purchased two new model year bikes. The '08 only had an issue after a firmware update and that was resolved with the 'canister' fix. I have no issues with my current ride, a 2010 RT.

A lot of rebate money is on the table for new 2013's - might be a good choice. Or wait and see if a 2014 might be a good option. On the used market, maybe a clean 2012 would work. A lot of choices - take your time.

Simple answer: YES

All above is just the views of an old man - whatever you decide on, you and your wife will LOVE it. Take your time - test ride some - ask questions. Also this Forum has a great "Search" feature that you can use to help answer questions you may have.
    Did own: 2008, Red, SE5 - and 2010, Black, RT-S Premiere Edition Number 670
    Now Own: 2014 Black RT-S SE6

Spyder Garage

Thanks,

Paul
    1. Yes. That being said, you'll still run across idiots who don't see you. Even though you're more visible that a two wheeler (IMHO) continue to ride like you're not.

2. Personally, I'd stay away from the 2013 RT and ST.

3. An RT will be much more comfortable for a backseater.

4. Probably. I may be selling one after the first of the year, depending on how my test ride of a 2014 goes.
    Phil

I may be old, but I got to see all the cool bands.

2011 Spyder RT-AC

Spyder Garage

Default PAul

Hey everyone,

Thanks,

Paul
    I rode goldwings for years and it appears drivers can see you at a farther distance on the spyder than on the goldwing. My wife says the spyder RT is more comfortable than the goldwing. I also ride with the patriot guard at times. I always take up the rear since I am wider than the 2 wheelers. Am going to Durango this year, back to Missouri for a week at my brothers then back to Georgia and home.ride safe

Spyder Garage

I am a retired cop, college professor, and statistics prof by trade. You cannot compare motorcycle crashes with three wheel vehicle crashes because the data is completely unreliable. So, in an effort to quantify how much safer a trike is than a two wheeler I decided to use fatality data. Motorcycle fatalities are very well researched and fairly well reported. I think that the difference in fatalities would represent differences in overall safety. Clearly my study would need to be normalized for age, sex, years of riding, etc. So I got started.

What I found out was surprising. I expected three wheel motorcycles to be safer...but not by the margin I found. According to the National Transportation Safety Agency, there were a little over 4,600 deaths on two wheelers in 2011. In 2011, on three wheel motorcycles there were four (4). Not fourteen, not four hundred, FOUR. I can't do meaningful statistics on a population of four--nobody can.

So, to answer the question: there is no doubt the Spyder is safer than any two wheeler. However, it cannot be quantified.
    Dan

2012 Viper Red Rt
    upgrades:
    Baja Ron's Anti-Sway
    Diamond-R Arm Rests
    Gloriders
    High mount brake light
    chrome front fender garnish
    Bad Boy Horn
    Chrome Deflector Rack
    Chrome Scuff Nose Accent
    Handlebar Grip Fringe