Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Someone said BRP needs more time to develop VS GM they have only been making bikes for 5 yrs. Well they have been making Ski Doos since 1959. It isn't a big leap to put wheels on one to make the Spyder. Have you seen a new one it looks the same as a Spyder except it has skis and a belt instead of a rear tire so time is up, they need to get their dealers competent and fix their dangerous products instead of managing the fire risk, they need to be able to answer a tech question when a customer calls instead of telling them to see a dealer who know less about the issues than we do. I don't need a case number I need an answer or someone to talk to that knows something about the product they sell. This is 2013 not 1959. When you call them ,email or PM them to call you they should be doing it within 24hrs My $25k should have bought that much service.
    2013 Mag Silver SE5 RT BahaRon Sway bar & Sway bar links, Grip Puppies, Kuryakyn Helmet locks , Ultimate Seat w/Utopia Backrest, Dash power outlet, Spyderpops BumpSkid, Swagman Cup holders, Full size Brake Pedal, Seal DLX Floorboards, Freeway Blaster horns, Sylvania Super Bright fender LEDs, Scotchlite 680 Rear & Fender Reflectors, BRP Fog Light Kit, LED Mirror turn signal strips, 2014 RT grille mod. Outlaw Laser Alignment

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Some Guy View Post
    Someone needs a nap! This is and always has been a friendly site. I've been a member for quite a while and this is type of thread not abnormal.

If you want a truly critical, straight forward technical forum, then start your own.

Lamont knows very well how to run a forum. ...'nuff said...
    If you and Snoop wanna play please take it to off topic This is my thread and I really would like to keep it on subject. I do not want any Ice Cream.
    2013 Mag Silver SE5 RT BahaRon Sway bar & Sway bar links, Grip Puppies, Kuryakyn Helmet locks , Ultimate Seat w/Utopia Backrest, Dash power outlet, Spyderpops BumpSkid, Swagman Cup holders, Full size Brake Pedal, Seal DLX Floorboards, Freeway Blaster horns, Sylvania Super Bright fender LEDs, Scotchlite 680 Rear & Fender Reflectors, BRP Fog Light Kit, LED Mirror turn signal strips, 2014 RT grille mod. Outlaw Laser Alignment

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Magdave View Post
    If you and Snoop wanna play please take it to off topic This is my thread and I really would like to keep it on subject. I do not want any Ice Cream.
    It's already in PM mode.

I apologize for the interruption (it would piss me off if someone had done it to my thread)
    Last edited by Some Guy; 10-31-2013 at 11:15 PM. Reason: more info

Number One: 2008 Yellow GS SM5. I love my Spyder.
    Number Two: 2012 RT-S Limited (the poop colored RT) I still have Number One, but Some Girl made me buy Number Two...

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I have really seen enough 2013 owner bashing forum posts and telling people to ignore us. Obviously the 10,11,12, owners are the ones who are starting these threads. Have your bikes had melt downs that lead to them catching on fire? I have posted all the flaws BRP made in the 2013 and will do it one more time. Bad shocks, bad ball joints, moving components that obviously caused them to possibly burn up. Outlaw has proven the factory alignment to be flawed. Do I really need to go on. I am sick of people who do not own the 2013 telling us we are whiners. Yes the DPS was a big issue on earlier bikes but that was pretty much it. Yes they blow heat out the black hole just as all RTs have done but there is something more going on. BRP took a new frame and put an old engine in it that was never designed for it and then dumped the poor design on the dealer with an $6-8k discount ruining any chance we had at upgrading. I cannot take a $8-10k Loss in 3 months due to BRP's poor effort. Unless you own one you know nothing about what we are dealing with. I would really appreciate owners of previous model year just stop it. You are clueless about the the issues we have. If you want to know go trade yours in and helps us out. You can get $6-8k off what I paid and help us out. No takers? I cannot get any tech questions answered by calling BRP and that is just plain stupid the answer they give is "see the dealer" and we know there are maybe 4 or 5 in the whole country that even have a clue

I can see solutions to a lot of the problems but BRP will not pay for them or even call me as I have requested via PM to Steve. I worked for GM for 25 yrs and have never seen such a screwed up (even GM ) customer support system and lack of dealership oversight. So until BRP comes up with the correct solutions I think the non 2013 owners need to slack off and quit telling people to ignore the obvious problems we 2013 owners are going through. Maybe they will get fixed but if we shut up and say nothing they never will. There are solutions but who should pay for them the guy that just laid down $25 k or the builder of a defective product. I think the answer is obvious. The 2013 is BRP's Toyota run away car problem and I could care less if it takes them until June to trot out the 2014 they need to REALLY fix the 2013 first. That is just my humble opinion and yes I enjoy riding it but am paranoid about it thanks to the engineers poor performance in fixing the problems with tin foil insulation that is NOT the fix and we all know it. If BRP is trying to go bankrupt the 2013 is a good start.

Let the bashing begin I can give you a list of who will start that too if you like...and almost none are 2013 owners.
    When I took my bike in for the recall, it had a melted master cylinder, vapor canister and purge valve. It only had 3900 miles on the odometer. I parked the bike, after BRP issued the statement on SL, for 4 weeks. The shop manager told me he was SO glad I did not continue to ride the bike. Recall complete, insulation added, and pipes wrapped. Two weeks later, while on a ride, the heat on my thighs became so intense I folded a T shirt to get some comfort to continue the ride home. The heat did not go away. I cannot enjoy riding. It is painful. In more ways than one!! BRP needs to step up to the plate and make it right for those of us who have inferior machines. The shop manager told me that my bike was the only one that had any melted parts so that clearly shows that not all the bikes have the same issues! I have never complained about the heat on my right foot. I can live with that. It's the volcanic heat rising around the glove box and the sides of my seat that causes me problems. I own a 2010 RS and I have never had a problem. It is an awesome machine. Fun to ride and drive. That is why I bought another one, a very expensive one! Listen to us BRP. We have very real, legitimate problems. Problems that need to addressed. Well that is my rant for the night.

Spyder Garage

Default Too many ruffled feathers..!!

this is like a fireworks barge on fire. Things are going off in all directions...boils down to:
    Those with problems/issues and those without problems/issues. I am sure no one here does not feel for those that are having problems. If not with our spyders or some vehicle or appliance we have all had problems. I also understand that those with problems are not pleased to hear from those that have no problems because it all seems unfair. But to get a true picture you need both sides. If we add all the problems these machines have had since they were introduced there should be a lot more angry people here. Problems were solved, repairs made and many fixed them up on their own. 2013's are the latest and therefore the freshest (and not the only ones to catch fire) and seeing as we live in a fast paced through away world solutions will seem like forever. 2014's are now supposed to roll out late December and you are going to see a whole new set of problems. Soooo ya'll keep posting treat each other right or not I will keep reading a nd posting regardless for this is still the best site spyder ever..!! jomo
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by OldCowboy View Post
    You talk about Spyder fires like they were an every day occurrence. They are not. I know of only two 2013s that have caught fire. Vehicles that use flammable liquids as fuel occasionally burn up.
    Exactly how many is a good number of fires to have?

3 out of some 2500 2013's sold? That seems rather high considering it's 3 in less than a year of ownership. At least one of which had less than 1000 miles on it.

Hundreds of melted master cylinder caps spraying flammable fluid on hot exhaust... so if it doesn't burn up, you just crash into something because you have no brakes or mushy brakes?

These aren't comfort issues. We aren't being "picky" or overly "alarmist". These are serious design issues.

2013 owners have every right to be upset and desire a response and action from BRP. Right now we've been told "there is no problem" and "suck it up" from other Spyder owners and BRP alike. Not the most pleasant place to be.
    Last edited by Sny; 10-31-2013 at 11:38 PM.
    tHe SmOkEr YoU dRiNk ThE pLaYeR yOu GeT!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    And I had the melted parking brake cable at the Owner's Event also in June.
    My MC cap melted at the owners event (on the dragon) with 2000 miles on the clock. The BRP tech (won't mention names...) basically said "yep, I told them this would happen..."
    tHe SmOkEr YoU dRiNk ThE pLaYeR yOu GeT!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by OldCowboy View Post
    No, I don't think you should just go away. I understand some of you are having terrible problems with your Spyders. But I think it's counterproductive to simply excoriate BRP for not coming up with a fix. Let's put our heads together and try to find some solutions.

When I bought my 2007 Harley Road Glide, users were having huge problems with heat on the right leg and thigh, especially in stop and go summer traffic. People wearing long pants were still getting second degree burns. Harley Davidson was not doing anything to help us. They certainly weren't going to buy our bikes back because we had hot thighs. It didn't take long to figure that part of the problem was a mixture that was too lean. So, folks bought Power Commanders and similar devices to richen up the mixtures. That helped some, but the nature of the beast was that there was no way the rear cylinder could be properly air cooled at low speeds. So a couple of mom & pop shops figured out how to add a shield to protect the right thigh. Even then, low speeds and stop and go traffic was still a b*tch. However, it was ludicrous to believe Harley Davidson was going to do anything to buy back those bikes or provide monetary relief for a trade-in to an improved version. Eventually, Harley Davidson redesigned their electronics to shut down the rear cylinder when the bike was stopped.

So, what can WE do to improve the situation for those who have problems? Is it a problem with the mixture? Will a Power Commander or Juice Box help? Clearly, the exhaust is routed too close to the gas tank. What can WE do to make that better? Does heat reflective tape on the gas tank help? How about heat wrap for the headers? Or ceramic coating...does this work better than heat wrap? We know the catalytic converter creates huge amounts of heat. We also know that most states don't test motorcycles for emissions. So, does replacing the cat with a straight pipe improve the situation? What about the exhaust gaskets? The BRP design appears to have less than optimal performance. Will replacing them with the Honda gaskets improve the heat problems?

I think we all need to recognize that raising he11 at BRP on Spyderlovers is not going to solve the problem. So, rather than constantly excoriating BRP, let's work together to try and figure out how WE can resolve these issues.
    Dude... I've been riding and building bikes for 53 years.....I KNOW about modifications. So... what modifications that void my warranty should I do? The bike runs WAY too lean, This is a BRP issue... Power Commander does not have a fix for it or I would spent the 500 bucks plus dyno time to dial it in to fix it. Remove the cat????? I'm too lean already and no way to richen up.. Pipes are wrapped... tank is shielded gas is still boiling and gas cap is 170F plus at 70f degrees ambient temps ... bandaids are not going to fix the problem... WE HAVE BEEN PROACTIVE... If you don't have the issues..good for you but we have them and you will not understand, as has been demonstrated.. I really think you are missing the point.... FB LOVES her spyder.... she just wishes she could ride it.... If you are offended by those of us that are having issues.... Well That's your problem... bypass the post, read something else. As glad as I am that you are completely satisfied with your spyder.... understand that some of us are having issues that need to be addressed and are not at all satisfied.... it's not all peaches and roses in the spyder world... to think otherwise would not be a true vision of what is happening to some spyder owners. Good Luck... I feel no need to try to defend to You why we are not pleased with the spyder. I really feel my time would be wasted. We are looking at ways to have the spyder made right, but fear heat damage has already taken a toll and the bike's life is shortened.
    So We will continued to ride as we can, if we complain, you will have to put up with it, We do have a 5 year warranty, and I suspect that BRP will be very glad when it is out of date. At 25 to 30K mile a year, I don't expect the spyder would last that long anyway. But it would be good to have a road worthy bike during it's life span.
    Last edited by hotglue; 11-01-2013 at 12:12 AM.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default "We all Share a Common Bond"

I would like to add my 2 cents to this thread by simply listing a few famous quotes:

"We all share a common bond"

"Can't we all just get along"

"I have decided to stick with love. Hate is too great a burden to bare"

And with that, does anyone else have anything to say or can we please just end this thread with those quotes and move on to new, more productive threads that will help ALL US Spyder OWNERS!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Don't want to upset anyone here, but I really love my 2013....Best fun investment I have ever made.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by AZLife View Post
    I would like to add my 2 cents to this thread by simply listing a few famous quotes:

"We all share a common bond"

"Can't we all just get along"

"I have decided to stick with love. Hate is too great a burden to bare"

And with that, does anyone else have anything to say or can we please just end this thread with those quotes and move on to new, more productive threads that will help ALL US Spyder OWNERS!
    If yer gonna get naked and beat drums singing around the fire... I'm outta here...LOL No HATE here... just MAJOR disappointment in a motorcycle that is not what it should be. And disappointment in folks that berate other folks that have issues with their bikes, and try to belittle them and their issues. Glad y'all are doing GREAT with your bikes... if you want to live in a rose colored world... have fun.... just get some rose tinted glasses that have enough filter to not see what you don't want to see.
    Last edited by hotglue; 11-01-2013 at 12:27 AM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by HuckFin View Post
    Don't want to upset anyone here, but I really love my 2013....Best fun investment I have ever made.
    That IS GREAT!!!!!

Spyder Garage

Default im happy for most

but i too have had more than my fare share of issues and i have posted most on here and i dont think i have posted any that have not needed to be posted..

that said i hope that one day those few that are having problems like me can see a solution before rather than later so we can all enjoy our bikes.

have fun and enjoy what you can of your bike tell then

i still ride mine daily, but still wonder if the brakes will go out or is it going to burst into flames... i try not to think about it too much, but i have too much invested to have it parked.
    Rick11Flor practicing for retirement. Everyday is a new day and I try to live it to the max.
    We (DW and I) travel to distant lands three or more months per year now looking for a Outlaw to take the Spyder along.

Spyder Garage

Default the next spyder meet

wow after reading all the posts the next BBQ or spyder fest is going to be like WrestleMania 2014
    NO BIKE AT THIS TIME

Spyder Garage

Default Never happen..!!

Quote Originally Posted by cuznjohn View Post
    wow after reading all the posts the next BBQ or spyder fest is going to be like WrestleMania 2014
    we're different people face to face..this is like texting..you can't see my face or hear my tone which often leads to the misinterpertations we see here. But seeing you all would be fun and less painful that wrestlemania..!!
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

I have really seen enough 2013 owner bashing forum posts and telling people to ignore us. Obviously the 10,11,12, owners are the ones who are starting these threads. Have your bikes had melt downs that lead to them catching on fire? I have posted all the flaws BRP made in the 2013 and will do it one more time. Bad shocks, bad ball joints, moving components that obviously caused them to possibly burn up. Outlaw has proven the factory alignment to be flawed. Do I really need to go on. I am sick of people who do not own the 2013 telling us we are whiners. Yes the DPS was a big issue on earlier bikes but that was pretty much it. Yes they blow heat out the black hole just as all RTs have done but there is something more going on. BRP took a new frame and put an old engine in it that was never designed for it and then dumped the poor design on the dealer with an $6-8k discount ruining any chance we had at upgrading. I cannot take a $8-10k Loss in 3 months due to BRP's poor effort. Unless you own one you know nothing about what we are dealing with. I would really appreciate owners of previous model year just stop it. You are clueless about the the issues we have. If you want to know go trade yours in and helps us out. You can get $6-8k off what I paid and help us out. No takers? I cannot get any tech questions answered by calling BRP and that is just plain stupid the answer they give is "see the dealer" and we know there are maybe 4 or 5 in the whole country that even have a clue

I can see solutions to a lot of the problems but BRP will not pay for them or even call me as I have requested via PM to Steve. I worked for GM for 25 yrs and have never seen such a screwed up (even GM ) customer support system and lack of dealership oversight. So until BRP comes up with the correct solutions I think the non 2013 owners need to slack off and quit telling people to ignore the obvious problems we 2013 owners are going through. Maybe they will get fixed but if we shut up and say nothing they never will. There are solutions but who should pay for them the guy that just laid down $25 k or the builder of a defective product. I think the answer is obvious. The 2013 is BRP's Toyota run away car problem and I could care less if it takes them until June to trot out the 2014 they need to REALLY fix the 2013 first. That is just my humble opinion and yes I enjoy riding it but am paranoid about it thanks to the engineers poor performance in fixing the problems with tin foil insulation that is NOT the fix and we all know it. If BRP is trying to go bankrupt the 2013 is a good start.

Let the bashing begin I can give you a list of who will start that too if you like...and almost none are 2013 owners.

Let me be the first to do the bashing then.
    I understand your position. I know there are issues with the 2013 and I share some of the same experiences.
    But frankly, as a forum member who has tried to help, I resent your accusations.
    I REALLY resent your accusations.
    Maybe it's your attitude that people are bashing.
    I believe there is a setting on this forum where you can "ignore" a certain screenname.
    I've never done this before, but I will with you.
    Last edited by ThreeWheels; 11-01-2013 at 05:23 AM.
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

Default shame

it a shame that it is coming to a point where people will stare to ignore other because of their posts. some people handle pressure different than others, some need to vent. i personally hate when people bash me for my thought and and feelings but i have learned to deal with it, at one point on one of my posts people bashed me and started talking about ice cream and that upset me but than i calmed down and just spoke my piece and forgot about it. when a person is put in a situation where your back is up against a wall and your trapped with a product or problem you handle it the way you have always on life. so cut the guy a brake and if someone attacks you personally go for it but if it is a general statement w/o names just let water flow under the bridge
    NO BIKE AT THIS TIME

Spyder Garage

I've had my 2013 RT-S longer than anyone in here, and I'm lovin it.

Chris

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    There have been 3 fires the first was the demo bike in PA, the second was one week before mine in Canada and then there was mine. You can find this info out by reading the recall data at NHTSA website. While there have been 3 fires there have been many Spyders that had melted parts when they went in for the recall work. So you can count your blessings that you didn't have a problem but don't downplay those of us who have had them.
    Well said!! Although I have no issues with my 2012RT. I think everyone has a right to gripe here, we have all definitely paid the price of admission to this show as many posters have said. I wish all 2013 owners with issues the best of luck and hope BRP finally comes up with a real fix instead of band aids.
    2012 RT , stock Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by finless View Post
    I think it is not nice to just post something irrelevant like this. Personally I think it is a little disrespectful to those that want to make a point and you just post something that has nothing to do with the subject.

I mean really... what if you wanted to post and explain and people posted crap like that? How would you take it?

I think I am done trying to help moderate this a little. Some seem to not care about others and pollute their posts.

I happen to run a few forums and posts like that would get moved to another post real fast! I don't delete peoples posts but when they go off topic and make a thread unreadable and unuseable by many, I move them to another post where guys can do things like this.

You guys are NOT IN ANY WAY... BEING CONSTRUCTIVE to this post and the OP that posted it!

Bob

I help run a couple forums too, and post the same way!

If you can't have some fun going through life then what is the point?

If every word in this thread was serious it would get heated quick and people would be getting very upset and this forum would suffer from it.

You should thank me for my post, your welcome.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MouthPiece View Post

Chris

Awesome

Good thing you you don't live in a hot weather state.

Registered Users 3 Wheel Addict's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MouthPiece View Post

Chris
    Clearly you got one of the good one's then... my wife is afraid to even ride with me on mine, she just don't trust it. How does one fix that lost trust? I have about 1200 miles on it now and I have no fear of it burning despite the hot plastic smell and having to put a towel on the front of the seat to stop the heat from coming out the cracks. It's winter here now and my season is over anyway so i'm hoping BRP gets fix this winter for next season.

Spyder Garage

Default pitbull power sports

what is Len's opinion of the hot 2013 bikes? what does Lamont think? what does Scotty think about it? why can't the computer be re-programed to richen the fuel mixture sufficiently on these bikes?
    it was fun while it lasted.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by coz View Post
    what is Len's opinion of the hot 2013 bikes? what does Lamont think? what does Scotty think about it? why can't the computer be re-programed to richen the fuel mixture sufficiently on these bikes?

As as some have stated, it's not really the engine running too hot, it's that the heat has nowhere to escape from under the plastic quick enough.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I've stayed off to the side on this one so far...
    Is everybody about done getting upset with one-another?
    That's not how problems get solved...
    We're all better than this.

Dave,
    You've been pretty pro-active with your bike; that's what we need in here! Folks attempting to find ways to end the problem in a collaborative manner can't help but find some workable solutions.
    I'll admit to growing tired of complaints; but I only grow tired of complaints that don't point in a direction that might offer up a solution.

(Off my soapbox...)
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black