Spyder Garage

Default Bump Skid saved the front of the RT

On Thursday I was riding with a group and we were going south of Albuquerque,NM to a restaurant in a little town called Belen. To get there we had to go on about 10 miles of Interstate 25. As always I was at the rear of the group because they want the trikes in the rear. We were all in a group in the center lane of 3 lanes with fairly heavy traffic going about 65 mph. There were two pickups in front of me to my right. I couldn't see it from where I was but a plastic storage container (about 30"x 18" x 12" with the top on it and with contents of some kind) flew out of the pickup and it was hit by another vehicle and came over into the center lane where we were. The two Harleys in front of me were able to miss it but it was directly in front of me and I couldn't go right or left because of traffic. I made a quick decision to hit it head on (with the front of the bike rather than one of the wheels) and I did, felt a pretty good impact and it went flying off to my right and into the median area. Scared the s*** out of me and I was sure there would be some front end damage but there wasn't. The two Harleys that missed it saw me hit it and were sure that it was going to be bad but since I hit it square on with the spyderpops bump skid that I had installed it save the front end. Really made me glad that I was on three wheels, I think a two wheeler would have gone down, and that I had the bump skid.

2012 Spyder RT Limited
    Guardian Bell (gift from son)
    Spyderpops bumpskid
    ISCI hand brake
    BajaRon Anti-Sway Bar
    BRP Adjustable Wind Deflectors

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I cringe just thinking about hitting that storage container with my Spyder. Unfortunately, there is no way around objects in our path. Quickly turn to the left or right, and you put yourself in danger of hitting another vehicle since they are so wide, and if you miss a smaller object with your front wheels, your bound to hit it dead on with your rear wheel. That is why these are known as "roadkill" vehicles. Whatever the case, glad you are safe, and that the Bump Skid did it's job. It's definitely on my wish list. Hoping it's easy enough to install myself.

Spyder Garage

Great to hear nothing happened to you and your Spyder. The bump skid saved the day!
    Glad I just had the bump skid installed on my RTL recently.

photo.JPG17.jpg

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default bump skid

I love mine as well has been saved my bike when I least expected it.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Glad that you had it ; sorry that you needed it ...
    I never put a Bumpskid on my 2010; I'm going to be lobbying for "authorization " for one on the new bike!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Saw a mattress fly off someone's truck while driving on the freeway sat.
    Could have been bad if there was a bike behind it!
    2011 RT LTD. Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Glad you are safe and no damage, Bumpskids from Spyderpops have saved a lot of front ends.

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Spyder Garage

Glad you came through this OK . . . I continue to be amazed at how many idiots fail to secure stuff in trucks, or on top of cars. A couple months ago, I was doing 70 in a 65 MPH zone and was catching up on a car. Something looked odd about the car, and as I got closer, I realized, to my shock, that four brain-dead fools had a couple sheets of plywood on top of their car . . . no ropes of any kind. Each of them had their window down and one hand on the plywood . . . driving down an interstate highway! I backed off, quickly, because I just knew that thing was going to become airborne. I took the next exit, and continued on the side roads.

"Topper" is my Pearl White 2013 RT-LTD

Professional Retiree - liked it so much when I retired from the USAF, that I started another career so I could do it again!

Happy to be a member of the Maryland Spyder Web - find us at

http://www.meetup.com/MarylandSpyderWeb/

2013 RT Limited , White (the fastest color!)

Spyder Garage

Ordered and received my bumpskid from Harvey/Spyderpops within 3 days. Haven't installed yet, but will soon. I've already had situations where I wished that I would have had it at the time.

Chris

Spyder Garage

I have one. It's a must to have a bumper skid.

TIGERDR
    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Spyder Garage

The worst accident I heard about was a car falling off a car carrier on I 95. I worked in the ER of the local hospital and we received the victims. A car fell off the carrier and hit the car traveling behind the truck. The driver of the car was killed instantly and the children were taken to our ER. Very very sad. I never follow a car carrier now. Always pass or have the truck far ahead of me.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Soooo... A Bumpskid wouldn't have helped much...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default Proof..!!

that they do the job. Glad you fared well in this situation, equally nice you had the bumpskid in place. Agreed without major skills you would have had a bad time on a two wheeler. Be safe..!!
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Soooo... A Bumpskid wouldn't have helped much...
    Nope. Life is all about being at the wrong place at the wrong time or being at the right place at the right time. My deep thought for the day.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I'd stay away from big rigs, car carriers, dump trucks, open back trucks and speeders. Be safe and we're glad your safe.
    2012 Spyder RT SE5 Brake pedal mod

Spyder Garage

With 5cm of snow on the forecast until noon today, the Spyder season is almost end in Quebec. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1382985453.194992.jpgThis snow will melt this afternoon and tomorrow. Wednesday, a final ride of 600 kilometers (375 miles) is plan betwween Quebec City and La Tuque. Early next week, one last maintenance will be done by the dealer and the Spyder will go on hibernation after a wash and wax.

TIGERDR
    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Spyder Garage

Default Bump Skid

Love it... Saved my RT the other day... Driving down the street... Made a turn onto another street did not see that there was a drainage dip between both streets. Hit so hard that destroyed my LED lights on the bump skid but saved the bike... Almost flew off bike i was going to fast... I HIGHLY recommend... not the first time for me...
    2014 Black RT

Spyder Garage

Good stories about the bumpskid plate

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by maliamd View Post
    Nope. Life is all about being at the wrong place at the wrong time or being at the right place at the right time. My deep thought for the day.

Did you hurt yourself thinking of that? LOL