Spyder Garage

Default New kind of heat problem

Tried out the heated grips yesterday, right side good, left side not, any ideas?
    Thanks,

john

Spyder Garage

plug the left one in....

Spyder Garage

Default Connections..!!

check your connections and then power the grip directly to see if it is the problem...otherwise get a left heated glove..!!
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Registered Users 3 Wheel Addict's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Bummer dude you got to get that fixed! I rode in the cold twice with my hands freezing before I remembered that I even had heated grips! Duh!

Spyder Garage

Shouldn't be much difference. See your dealer.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

They should be equal. Probably just a connection issue. I used mine yesterday for the first time. It was 42 degrees out and about a 18 mph winds. The heated grips were a hand saver!!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Has anyone experienced there front grips getting too warm? I had a 2012 RT that seemed to work just fine but my 2013 is getting a little too warm on low setting and the back grips barely warm up ?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Spyder Garage

Both my "10" and "13" got/get too hot on high.

Chris

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jgallo77 View Post
    Has anyone experienced there front grips getting too warm? I had a 2012 RT that seemed to work just fine but my 2013 is getting a little too warm on low setting and the back grips barely warm up ?
    This was normal on the earlier bikes; I thought that it had been fixed by 2012...
    If they get too warm; turn them off... cycle them back on as needed! With the limited charging capacity of the RTs; it's never a bad idea to keep an eye on your power usage.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member Pirate looks at --'s Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Just Guessing

The grips on our bike are a little too hot on Hi, but just right on low. I am guessing that with winter gloves on the Hi setting will be just fine.
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

Spyder Garage

That seems to be the way they are. Warm/low Hot/high on the front and lukewarm on the passengers either setting.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It would be nice if the wind is block directly off the handlebar and it will keep our hands off cold.
    2012 Spyder RT SE5 Brake pedal mod

Spyder Garage

I use these

http://www.jafrum.com/Motorcycle-Glo...eerskin-Gloves

With or without grips on they keep my hands warm only ridden down to 30 deg. On low they work well even high because they insulate the heat too so they do not get too hot and no cold thumb. Love the flexibility on Deerskin over leather too.
    2013 Mag Silver SE5 RT BahaRon Sway bar & Sway bar links, Grip Puppies, Kuryakyn Helmet locks , Ultimate Seat w/Utopia Backrest, Dash power outlet, Spyderpops BumpSkid, Swagman Cup holders, Full size Brake Pedal, Seal DLX Floorboards, Freeway Blaster horns, Sylvania Super Bright fender LEDs, Scotchlite 680 Rear & Fender Reflectors, BRP Fog Light Kit, LED Mirror turn signal strips, 2014 RT grille mod. Outlaw Laser Alignment

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Yup...me too

Quote Originally Posted by 3 Wheel Addict View Post
    Bummer dude you got to get that fixed! I rode in the cold twice with my hands freezing before I remembered that I even had heated grips! Duh!
    I did the exact same thing!!! Rode to work 2 mornings in a row freezing my hands off (Can-Am jacket with the liner in kept my body warm). Got to work the 2nd day and noticed the heated hand grip switch as I was engaging the parking brake. Felt like a stupinagel when i remembered that my Spyder had that feature

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jgallo77 View Post

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    I would not describe the front grips on my 2010 RT as getting too warm but they do get quite warm, warm enough for most any ambient temp. As you describe, the passenger grips are much less warm, not really adequate for colder temps, especially for my wife who has hands that are very sensitive to cold. The passenger grips have always been that way and it really is a large difference. The dealer said they "thought" that was normal.

What is the experience of others regarding front vs passenger grip warmth? I'm dubious that the dealer is correct and wonder if perhaps I should pursue this under the still active extended warranty. Thanks for any input.

Mike
    Idaho
    www.rtwrider.net

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by liketoride2 View Post
    I would not describe the front grips on my 2010 RT as getting too warm but they do get quite warm, warm enough for most any ambient temp. As you describe, the passenger grips are much less warm, not really adequate for colder temps, especially for my wife who has hands that are very sensitive to cold. The passenger grips have always been that way and it really is a large difference. The dealer said they "thought" that was normal.

What is the experience of others regarding front vs passenger grip warmth? I'm dubious that the dealer is correct and wonder if perhaps I should pursue this under the still active extended warranty. Thanks for any input.

Mike
    Idaho
    www.rtwrider.net
    It is normal. The thickness and construction of the rear grips makes them much cooler.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Sounds like you will have to get them fixed. They should both be at about the same operating temperature.

I use the heated grips regularly this time of year. I would like to see mine a bit warmer than they are on hot--but I think that has to do with where I am (Alaska). I have found that heavy gloves mask the heat--so I usually use medium gloves with the heaters on.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

But do you have heated grips on your snow shovels?
    It's got to be pretty near time to break them out!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black