Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Kingers View Post
    As posted by OJ UK, we don't have laser alignment here in the UK Spoke to Can am dealer today to see if they could check alignment by any other method and was informed they can't do any wheel alignment I did ask where I would be able to get this done and was told to try an independent car garage.

My local garage is owned and run by biker friendly mechanics and have taken my cars there for many years. If they are prepared to check my alignment, what info would they need?

Oh, and if Lamonster intends to visit the UK, please pop in, you are more than welcome. Just bring your laser level We are well trained in the art of forming an orderly queue

Thanks in advance for you help USA.
    I have independant shops that are not BRP dealers...with a fair understanding of alignment...this OUTLAW LASER SYSTEM could be a winner for them.

E mail me: I have a draft I can send you asking some questions. sales@ spydercomfort.com Kristal

Spyder Garage

As posted by OJ UK, we don't have laser alignment here in the UK Spoke to Can am dealer today to see if they could check alignment by any other method and was informed they can't do any wheel alignment I did ask where I would be able to get this done and was told to try an independent car garage.

My local garage is owned and run by biker friendly mechanics and have taken my cars there for many years. If they are prepared to check my alignment, what info would they need?
    Oh, and if Lamonster intends to visit the UK, please pop in, you are more than welcome. Just bring your laser level We are well trained in the art of forming an orderly queue

Not being the resident expert on this subject (but having some understanding of what is required) I would not expect a standard auto alignment shop to be able to do the Spyder correctly.

1st, without Spyder specific BUDS it cannot be done correctly so you're out of the parameters right off the bat. Even if they could give you a perfect alignment, without BUDS to get your alignment synced up with the electronics on the Spyder, you're going to have potentially big problems. The primary one being limp mode.

There is an alignment procedure from BRP to align the Spyder in the field. Again, you must have the Spyder Specific BUDS program and Spyder interface connection to make any alignment work. But personally, having done both, I would not bother with the BRP field method. My opinion is it's a crap shoot at best and a waste of time in nearly every case.

The fact that your dealership 'Can't' do alignments and that they would recommend a local auto shop shows that they have no idea what they are talking about. Very Scary!

Someone in the UK needs to get the Outlaw Alignment setup - BUDS capability and some instruction.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

[QUOTE=BajaRon;712033]Not being the resident expert on this subject (but having some understanding of what is required) I would not expect a standard auto alignment shop to be able to do the Spyder correctly.

1st, without Spyder specific BUDS it cannot be done correctly so you're out of the parameters right off the bat. Even if they could give you a perfect alignment, without BUDS to get your alignment synced up with the electronics on the Spyder, you're going to have potentially big problems. The primary one being limp mode.

There is an alignment procedure from BRP to align the Spyder in the field. Again, you must have the Spyder Specific BUDS program and Spyder interface connection to make any alignment work. But personally, having done both, I would not bother with the BRP field method. My opinion is it's a crap shoot at best and a waste of time in nearly every case.

The fact that your dealership 'Can't' do alignments and that they would recommend a local auto shop shows that they have no idea what they are talking about. Very Scary!

Someone in the UK needs to get the Outlaw Alignment setup - BUDS capability and some instruction.[/QUOTE]

BajaRon....YOU ARE RIGHT ON...I have an Outlaw independant that has a tire store and has been doing Spyder aligns for 4 years( his way ) now he is doing a complete Laser alignment by "our" book...but he also gets a local BRP dealer to reset the buds...you either have to buy the
    ENTIRE system OUTLAW LASERS AND BUD or work a deal with a local BRP dealer to just reset after the laser align...they work together

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RBS66 View Post
    Thank you Lamont and Baja Ron, I have an appointment with my dealer on Tuesday. My bike is running very rough at 80 miles an hour felt very squarely and lots of vibration in the ass end after my alignment. It felt like it wanted to be put back into fourth gear. Also there are 18 weights on my front left tire.
    THANKS AGAIN FOR YOUR HELP GUYs
    Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    Oh! Ouch!

18 weights on a truck tire is a lot. On the small Spyder tire that seems a bit ridiculous to me. If it actually needed that much weight you might as well hang a 'Don't Use This Defective Tire' on it. Something is definitely wrong there.
    There you have it from an expert. If the tire isn't actually "defective", I would think with all that imbalance it must also be out of balance side-to-side. That will never be cured by putting all the weights in a straight line, no matter how many are there. And that's what BRP and the dealers do. It's all the dealers are set up to do and is what BRP specifies in the shop manual. I know you didn't buy the bike at Blackman's but went to them for the alignment and belt adjustment. Hopefully they are willing to get into this tire issue for you and go to bat for you. It will be interesting to learn what they say next week. Keep us posted.

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    Did they mess with rear wheel alignment/belt tension? Is your belt tracking correctly on the rear sprocket?

Hang in there till they get it right and let us know what the fix ended up being.
    Agree with Ron's other comment re vibration and how it changes when you get the tension adjusted. It seems to me the belt vibration occurs at a certain speed range which is a function of belt tension, among other things. Change the tension and the vibes may move to a different speed, and also be stronger or weaker in severity. I always tell Blackman's to set mine at 500-550 as I've found it's pretty smooth there and yet doesn't stress the bearings as much as if it were at the top of the spec at 600. One time when I took it in, the belt had somehow gotten down to the lower end of the spec, about 300+ and I can tell you the vibes were significantly worse when it was that loose, even though it was in spec. Took it back up to 500+ and all was well. Again, keep us posted on the outcome. Just bear in mind that these bikes with their long belts will vibrate to some extent at some speed. Inherent. They're not whisper-smooth Gold Wings and weren't meant to be.

RT and Gold Wing States & Provinces

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by OJ UK View Post
    Harrrummmph!.....Can't get this done in the UK!!
    As the old song said; "Be the first one on your block...." Why not set up shop in the UK?
    All the great movements in the world began with a cup of coffee!

2018 F3-T

My mods: Can am Trailer hitch, USB and 12 volt power outlets, Gustason windshield, Bead rider seat cushion, battery harness for electric gear and battery tender, Time out trailer.
    2018 F3-T , Pearl White

Very Active Member Silvervette05's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

How do I get an appointment to have this alignment done?

Spyder Garage

Any dealer that says he cannot do a BRP wheel alignment is not familiar with the procedure and tools. If they read the shop manual (or service bulletin for the 2013's, they will find the tools and procedure layed out for them. It is not anywhere near the same as an automotive alignment, and an auto shop cannot align a Spyder with their tools and methods. Since the far superior laser alignment is not available in the UK, it soundd like it is time to educate your dealer.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Silvervette05 View Post
    How do I get an appointment to have this alignment done?
    If you want an alignment at Lamonster's Garage you just need to email or PM him to set up an appointment.

The Doctor is In!
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...