Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Stupid TSA Regulations

Just had to pass this on, if you have a similar situation please post it.

Kubaton = close quarters fighting stick, usually about 6 inches long.

My partner and I are flying to another state to pick up a prisoner (we are both Full Time Certified Police Officers) and bring him back to Arkansas to stand trial. We arrive at the aiport for our initial flight, we are both in full police uniforms, on our duty belt we have handcuffs, pepper spray, Glock 40 caliber sidearm etc. as we go through the TSA security, they check our police credientials and verify who we are and all seems well until ........ along comes a TSA Supervisor and he notices a Kubaton hanging from my duty belt with keys on it, the Supervisor informs me that it is against TSA regulations for anyone to carry a Kubotan on commercial aircraft. After 15 minutes of arguing with this fool, i decided to leave the kubaton at their security desk until i return the next day. i am carrying a semi automatic pistol, pepper spray, handcuffs etc, but it is against TSA regulations to carry a Kubaton. (Our Goverment at work). (this was several years ago)

Let me hear your TSA stories.

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Spyder Garage

Ya, that makes perfect sense to anyone with brain damage. Then again, they would probably have more brains than that supervisor.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Cruzr Joe View Post

My partner and I are flying to another state to pick up a prisoner (we are both Full Time Certified Police Officers) and bring him back to Arkansas to stand trial. We arrive at the aiport for our initial flight, we are both in full police uniforms, on our duty belt we have handcuffs, pepper spray, Glock 40 caliber sidearm etc. as we go through the TSA security, they check our police credientials and verify who we are and all seems well until ........ along comes a TSA Supervisor and he notices a Kubaton hanging from my duty belt with keys on it, the Supervisor informs me that it is against TSA regulations for anyone to carry a Kubotan on commercial aircraft. After 15 minutes of arguing with this fool, i decided to leave the kubaton at their security desk until i return the next day. i am carrying a semi automatic pistol, pepper spray, handcuffs etc, but it is against TSA regulations to carry a Kubaton. (Our Goverment at work). (this was several years ago)

Cruzr Joe
    Now that's is a good one. You probably cannot do as much damage to people or property with the other things vs. the Kubaton. What were they thinking????

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

As a government employee, I have always said that common sense is not so common in our enviroment.
    May all your encounters with the law begin with the words: "nice trike!".[/B]
    2015 Can-Am Spyder F3-S SM-6 Can-am Red/Black SM-6 with 2010 Black RT-622 trailer (hitch in the works).

Previously owned:
    2010 Can-Am Spyder RT SM-5
    2011 Can-Am Spyder RS-S SM-5
    2013 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SM-5

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

YOu might poke somebody's eye out with that thing!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

i travel for business a lot and over the years i have had 7 or 8 tape measures taken from me while trying to board a plane. they say they could be broken and used as a knife. on one of those trips after giving up a $25.00 "max" to tsa, i boarded a plane and had a woman next to me knitting with 18" or 20" knitting needles. i think i'd rather take my chance with somebody with a tape measure and not knitting needles!jmho!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default regulations

This year we went to the little league plays off in Williamsport PA. I always carry a little knife on my key rings and when I went through security, I could not carry the knife in with me. The blade is 1&1/2" long. They made a fuss that I could not take the knife in the games. I had to take it back to my truck and leave it there. They said to me that I can take it off the key ring and leave it with them. I asked for a receipt. They said that they would not be responsible for the knife if I left it there.

Spyder Garage

No stupid TSA stories from me--but every time I fly, I am given the "treatment". Extra search, extra scrutiny, etc. Wheelchair and all. AbuSpyderman.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I also seem to garner more attention than I'd like to think is necessary...
    But the TSA guys in Orlando DID find and return my ring to me when I lost it while getting everything (I thought!) stuffed back into place after the usual "inspection"...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    No stupid TSA stories from me--but every time I fly, I am given the "treatment". Extra search, extra scrutiny, etc. Wheelchair and all. AbuSpyderman.
    Thats cause you have shifty eyes
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I had knee surgery several years ago(before 9/11) and had to go to Paris on business. I was wearing a big knee brace on my right knee that set off the buzzers everytime I went through the metal detector and never once did anyone ask to see my knee brace they would just wand it and asay ok move on. When i started to leave Paris they x-rayed my luggage and I had some ankle weight with removable lead weights and they ask what they were and I told them.They said ok go ahead. I geton teh plane and we are getting ready to take off and thought oh if they did that with me there could be anything on here. luckily I am here to tell about it.

Spyder Garage

In June I was returning from a golf trip to the Toronto area and flew in and out of Buffalo as it is easier to access than the airport in Toronto.

As I left for the airport one of my Canadian buddies gave me a couple of bottles of Niagara Peninsula Ice Wine to take with me.

I tried to put the wine in my golf bag that I was sending home via Federal Express but there was no room in the bag. I just put the bottles in my carry on and wrapped them with some clothes. Going through Buffalo TSA they noted the wine and told me I could not board with it. The lead officer said I would have to leave it with them and they would dispose of it but I noticed the other TSA people had big smiles on their faces.

"No", I said,"I'll just take it back into the airport". So I put the bottles back in my bag and went over to the Delta counter.

"Here is a present for you", I said to the Delta attendant. "I'll be damned if I am going to let those TSA clowns drink my wine."

She thanked me and said that she and her husband would enjoy the wine over dinner that evening.
    Penny and Rick have owned many motorcycles starting in 1974 with Honda’s, then to Suzukis, Gold Wings and ultimately Spyders.
    ‘74 Honda 360T (pair); ‘78 Suzuki GS 1000 (pair); ‘’82 Honda Aspencade; ‘84 Honda 400; ‘87 Yamaha 1100; ‘99 Honda Valkyrie; ‘01 Suzuki Burgman(triked); ‘02 Honda GL 1800(triked); ‘10 Spyder RTSE; ‘11 Spyder RTSM; ‘12 Spyder RTSL (pair); ‘20 Spyder RTL (current)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Double Trouble View Post
    In June I was returning from a golf trip to the Toronto area and flew in and out of Buffalo as it is easier to access than the airport in Toronto.

As I left for the airport one of my Canadian buddies gave me a couple of bottles of Niagara Peninsula Ice Wine to take with me.

I tried to put the wine in my golf bag that I was sending home via Federal Express but there was no room in the bag. I just put the bottles in my carry on and wrapped them with some clothes. Going through Buffalo TSA they noted the wine and told me I could not board with it. The lead officer said I would have to leave it with them and they would dispose of it but I noticed the other TSA people had big smiles on their faces.

"No", I said,"I'll just take it back into the airport". So I put the bottles back in my bag and went over to the Delta counter.

"Here is a present for you", I said to the Delta attendant. "I'll be damned if I am going to let those TSA clowns drink my wine."

She thanked me and said that she and her husband would enjoy the wine over dinner that evening.
    Good for you. Take that TSA!

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Cruzr Joe
    It isn't just TSA. When I was still working, one of my employees, a Deputy U.S. Marshal, and I arrived at a FEMA facility for a meeting. Since we did not have access badges keyed for that facility, we had to go through a metal detector . . . I can understand me going through, but he was wearing a Glock and a badge. He refused to remove his gun to go through the metal detector, so, of course, it alarmed, and they scanned him with a wand! He also had to run his briefcase through the x-ray machine . . . I wonder what they would have done if they found a gun in it!

"Topper" is my Pearl White 2013 RT-LTD

Professional Retiree - liked it so much when I retired from the USAF, that I started another career so I could do it again!

Happy to be a member of the Maryland Spyder Web - find us at

http://www.meetup.com/MarylandSpyderWeb/

2013 RT Limited , White (the fastest color!)

Spyder Garage

I hear this and these kinds of stories are the specific reason I haven't been on a plane since2004.
    Last edited by ThreeWheels; 10-28-2013 at 06:03 PM.
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

Glo Ryders {4 sets (Blue, Red, Orange, Pink) I swap out}
    Rear Trunk Liner ......... Seal Floorboards
    Rear Trunk Shelf
    Corbin Heated Seat
    extra 12V plug
    Elka shocks
    White/Red fender lights
    Bump/skid
    Baker Wind Wings
    Honey Burl Dash Kit

Spyder Garage

I always get given a hard time because of the wheelchair - last time we flew they wanted to swab the seat underneath my butt for explosives so they lady first asked me to stand which I politely explained I'm paraplegic so standing is t an option, she then told me is have to lean forward so she could swab - so I did as far as a safely could and then she pushed on my back making me go so far forward I almost fell out of my chair - if my significant other hadn't stepped forward and grabbed me I would have fallen out. The women then had the audacity to yell at him for assisting me and crossing the line into the inspection station which she said to stay behind and no apology for almost tossing me onto the floor.

Got to
    love TSA
    2013 RS-S Neutron Green/Black, Shark RSR2 helmet, Shark Evoline 3 helmet, Sena SMH20, Corbin Seat, Wheelchair Rack, TricLED fender lights, TricLed Underglow kit (green), Trunk Liner, STL Handlebars, Web Boards Driver Floorboards, backrest, BRP Saddlebags, ISCI Handbrake

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I was waiting for my belt and shoes to come out of the xray box and waited, waited more, waited then I noticed that I didn't even removed them. I looked around and the TSA are still busy but missed me.

Well , some of them have selected enforcement.
    2012 Spyder RT SE5 Brake pedal mod

Spyder Garage

As a Captain for a major air carrier, I had to disrobe at every TSA check point. Hat off, no belt, remove my shoes, check my kit bag and suit case thru x-ray,... HEY! I don't need a bomb, knife, gun, ...! I AM DRIVING!!!! I retired 4 years early rather than go to jail for chocking a TSA agent! Flew professionally for 30+ yrs. Retired in '05 and haven't been to an airport since! Ahhhh!!!

Spyder Garage

Default never flown

i have never flown and when i did some electrical work at Kennedy airport back in the late 90's the TSA or guards would wave us around the metal detectors if they saw us walking towards them with tools because they didn't want alarms going off. but two years ago i had a friend and her daughter come to stay a weekend with me around Christmas time and i took them into the city to see the tree and sites, so we went to the empire state building and you have to go through metal detectors and x ray machines for bags and things. in my pocket i carry a small swiss army knife. i use it for the tooth pick and small scissors on it. they took it away from me, now it has a 1 1/2 inch long blade on it, but they took it and gave me a receipt for it until i came back to get it later. when i went back and gave the guard the ticket he said what is it, i said it's my weapon of mass destruction knife, when he saw the knife he just laughed and said have a nice day.
    NO BIKE AT THIS TIME

Spyder Garage

Default Same thing happened

Iam a former police officer and was in Austin, Texas with my 10year old nephew. We were picking up my sister at the airport. I also had my keys on a kubaton. We went through security, with me laying my keys in the tray. After I picked up my keys and was walking towards the gate, Two TSA agents came up to me and detained me. They were going to arrest me for carrying the Kubaton. Again I had my 10 year old nephew with me. They said he could not come with me to their offices...so he was left in the airport unsupervised. I told him the gate number hoping my sister would find him. In the office I asked to call my husband who happens to be on duty with the sheriffs dept....yes he is a deputy sheriff.... He along with his Sgt. talked to them......long story short I was not arrested...but did have to go put the kubaton in the car. None of this would have happened if when I laid it in the tray they would have said...sorry you can not take that into the secured area....

Cruzr Joe
    2016 F3T SE Pearl White
    Purple powder coated wheels
    Performance sway bar
    LED headlights and fog lights
    Short Reach handlebars
    2010 RT A/C SE traded in

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    I also seem to garner more attention than I'd like to think is necessary...
    But the TSA guys in Orlando DID find and return my ring to me when I lost it while getting everything (I thought!) stuffed back into place after the usual "inspection"...
    The Orlando airport caught 3 loaded guns in the last 3 days. Totaling 35 so far this year. Most are law abiding citizens with permit to carry. Just forgot to unload before flying. happens I guess. So far it's not happened to me.

Spyder Garage

Never wear steel toe boots with steel reinforced soles. Never, ever, ever, put shooting gloves in your flight bag. Especially after shooting the day before, it sets off all kinds of bells and whistles. Don't keep a safety pin on your flight bag.

USAF '69-'89 E7
    Thailand/Vietnam 1972
    Member: Royal Order of Rat Bastards

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderDen View Post
    The Orlando airport caught 3 loaded guns in the last 3 days. Totaling 35 so far this year. Most are law abiding citizens with permit to carry. Just forgot to unload before flying. happens I guess.
    I just don't buy that line of thought; hopeful as it may be.

If you know that you're going to an airport; it's already a given that any sidearms that you get caught with, are going to cause you more grief than you ever imagined possible... Most reasonable folks will (or should!) take the extra step to store them before the TSA get to tap-dance on top of their bleeding bodies.

Spyder Garage

Default Don't get me started

But I really think TSA gets their jolly's off asserting their authority on other uniformed police. Also I had them take my Colombian wife away for 9 hours with no reason given on her first trip to the U.S.. TSA ordered me out of the terminal while they had her detained in the Orange Room. Oh yes, our government has color coded rooms. The instruction book for TSA was written many years ago in Germany.
    Don't just dream the dream! Live the dream! Sent from my coconut using tap-a-nut. Spyderlovers Southern-Most Member.