Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Need Opinion On 3 Different Buying Options

So after many years of reading post on this site. I've noticed everyone has an opinion...sometimes whether you want one or not...and some of them are actually pretty darn good! So being a future new Spyder owner, I am pondering 3 different buying options.

1) 2014 ST-S: Wait to get positive feed back from new owners to verify if they have indeed fixed the heat problems.

2)2013 ST-S: With the known heat problems and the rollout of the new 2014's...people are starting to unload some of their 2013's...and now would be a great time to get a good deal! Probably save myself around $5K - $6K. Question is....will there be a solid and definitive fix for the heat issues? Ever?

3)2010-2012 RS: Probably could save some additional money buying an older version. Question is....can I modify this model (i.e. add floorboards, reconfigure handlebar riser,etc.) to help mimic the riding position on the new ST model.

Any help in my quest for a Spyder would be greatly appreciated!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

having an RT; I've got no dog in this fight...
    But I'd avoid door number two...
    Either get yourself a 2014 STS, or pick up a pre-2013 RS . 2012 might be the best choice as far as the various years go...
    My reasons:
    They'll have the newest STs dialed-in and running great. They already know what a second year of heat complaints will do to them... Since you listed this as your first choice; that's probably exactly what it is.. the one that you really want!
    The RS is a pretty fine bike; IF you like the seating position, and your riding style isn't geared for the long haul. By 2012; this bike was pretty much complaint-free...
    Your money; your call! Happy Shopping!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default Tough one..!!

your at a real crossroad...the 2014 is supposed to be the cats meow...but so was the 2013 when it was launched. The older years are pretty well tested and all issues have been dealt with. Now not all 2013's had the heat problems so it is a shot in the dark. So your stuck between price and doubt....good luck..!!
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Default Decisions!

I am in the same boat excluding the RS as I dont think I could ride in that position for hours at a time. So I am leaning toward a 14 STL but also think that I should save some cash and find a leftover or demo 13 STL as there have been a lot of 13 owners with no issues at all.
    2016 Spyder F3 Limited Steel Black Metallic
    Lamonster approved LED Headlights
    Lamonsters LED Fog lights
    BRP Driver & Passenger backrest
    BRP Trailer Hitch
    Shamrock Black & Polished
    Signature light
    Elka front shock's
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Dual Power outlets
    Garmin 590 GPS

Spyder Garage

Default Look Very Very Closely at 2103

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...ve-heat-issues

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...-problem-tread

I am one of the owners with a 2013 RT-S with extreme heat issues. I was contacted, two weeks ago, by a BRP VP of USA about a story I had shared. I have not heard back from BRP on my issues. My dealer sent the latest BUDS reports to BRP Techs and no response.
    On Monday I went to my dealer and the service manger had called BRP and spoke to a BRP Tech. His answer my Spyder appeared to be running normal and I was shifting at the proper rpms.. Service mgr said "they have no idea what the problem is or cause and they have no fix".

So my Spyder sits waiting for a fix with 2400 miles on it. Not fun or comfortable to ride. I will NOT spend $$$$ on after market fixes as that is BRP's responsibility.

Sorry for the the downer news, but thats my story and I am sticking to it, not to say that other owners have had no issues.

IT'S A CRAP SHOOT ON THE 2013's…. Good luck on making a decision, if I had know about the changes for the 2014 I would have waited
    Illegitimi non Carborundum

2013 RT-S Circuit Yellow with Black Trailer

Spyder Garage

i'm 62 and I still love the rss. you'll never get a better deal on leftovers than you will this year. i'd go #3 or possibly if money is not an issue, then #1! good luck!

Spyder Garage

Default Another 2 Cents Worth

The '13 has been plagued with so many problems that it will forever be considered a loser. You can get a good deal now but will pay for it when you resell or trade. On the other hand, if you are a do-it-yourselfer and willing to put the effort in solving the heat issues...which certainly seems doable....it may be a good deal. If you can't do a lot of maint yourself and have to rely on dealers for everything then it becomes problematic. I'd considered one but couldn't make a satisfactory trade so I've backed off for now. My impression of BRP now, is that they're swamped with various issues and problems and folks are not getting the support like we once had.

If you search enough you can find some good buys on earlier machines, many with very low miles. I'd take a hard look for them if you're wanting something to ride now or this spring.
    Two Wheelers from 1963-2011

Three Wheelers:
    2011 RT(Red)
    2014 RT(white)
    2016 F3T(red)
    2022 RT current ride(silver)

Spyder Garage

Arrow

There's a heat problem?

Identify what you have control over and find peace with what you don't.

Spyder Garage

I can speak for the RS. My wife bought an 09 RS SE last year and she loves it. I made her floor boards, although you can buy them, and we put risers on the handle bars. Her seating position is very much like an ST now so much so that she no longer talks about getting an ST now. We bought hers for just under $10000 and have put a bunch farkles on it. The great thing is that if she decides that she does not want to ride anymore we can sell it for about what we have in it. That was the deciding factor when we bought it. If you are not sure you are going to like riding a Spyder I would go with option 3. Lots of great deals out there on the older models.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

How about some pictures of her bike?
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member MidLifeCrisis's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I've read about all of the promises for the 2014 RT, but don't see a thing for the 2014 ST, except for "New Airflow Side Panel Design". Am I missing something?

Spyder Garage

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by MidLifeCrisis View Post
    I've read about all of the promises for the 2014 RT, but don't see a thing for the 2014 ST, except for "New Airflow Side Panel Design". Am I missing something?

Until the end of July '14

Identify what you have control over and find peace with what you don't.

Spyder Garage

Default 2012 RS

I was torn between the RT and RS when I made my purchase this year. I love the looks of the RS, but the ride position of the RT. I decided to go with the 2012 RS and have been completely satisfied. I added the Helios riser, which gives me the upright riding position, I also added a bunch of other things to give my wife and I the comfort and carrying capacity we need for touring (peg extensions, backrest, BRP hard bags, madstad windshield, etc). I now have a sporty looking but comfortable touring machine (IMHO). We're not "cross country" touring types, but do enjoy weekend get aways on the RS and both of us love the bike. I'm guessing we saved $10K versus the 2012 RT and we prefer the sleeker style of the RS.

...in the pink (Girls On Spyders) flamingobabe's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

#1...wait for positive feedback.....you'll need 6+months of feedback....I have a hard time believing BRP has fixed the heat problems on the 2014....when they can't find solutions/fixes to the 2013's...but 2014's do have the new air flow panels....

#2...be very careful and be ready to spend extra $$$$$$$$$......my ST ran great until about 5000 miles and the thing started having every issue you can think of....BRP is aware of issues and have no fix....

#3...RS or RSS can be customized to change seating position....Corbin Lamonster Cut.....my 2009 RS was customized with risers, Spider pegs/floorboards, Corbin, saddlebags, rear rack, everything you talk about...54,000 miles of general maintenance no big issues.....

good luck in your decision....think long and hard....the heat issues affect everything under the tupperware
    Last edited by flamingobabe; 10-24-2013 at 09:09 AM.

#IamARyder #RideASpyder #CanAmSpyder

Spyder Garage

Get the 2014 ST-s. I have been driving 2008 RS/GS waiting for them to come out with this bike. Yeah it could have issues but that is part of the adventure. The 2008's had issues but up to this date are still the best thing BRP has put on the road. (I am going to regret saying that aren't I?). Some times they get it right the first time and then try to morph it into something else. Money is money. If you are looking to save money or to get cheap transportation you are way off base buying a Spyder. Good luck with your decision. Any of these bikes are by far the most fun thing I have ever driven.

Spyder Garage

The RS is meant to be ridden sporty, legs folded back, no windshield, body leaned forward. We (SpyderLovers) spent years playing with making them into Sport Touring trikes with highway pegs, floorboards, seats, windshields, risers. There's a lot of parts out there to experiment with. Most of us did it out of necessity. Then along came the RT, and many GS and RS owners jumped on the caddy. Now there's a new choice with the ST, keeping much of the performance and handling of an RS while greatly improving ergonomics, wind protection and comfort right out of the crate.

My wife and I have spent many many thousands of dollars and 60k miles modifying our RS/GS's to be more comfortable only to end up replacing them both with bone stock ST's and being MUCH more comfortable.

That's not to say you can't be satisfied on an RS. Just that I don't think, no matter how much you spend, it will be nearly as comfortable as an ST. Just like no matter what you spend on an ST it won't be as comfortable as an RT.

You have to decide how much is enough.

Floorboards, pegs, risers, seats etc ... you can probably be close enough ergonomically with an RS and a couple thousand dollars in parts and experimentation.

Windshields are cheaper, but you'll probably buy several before you get one you're "ok" with. We went through about 6 different ones before settling on two different configurations of Madstat adjustable brackets with different shape/size shields. But here there is a clear difference between the RS and ST. The ST is night and day different in my opinion in wind protection... (and the RT is another huge jump from there.) My wife has the stock ST shield and I went with the Touring ST shield and can't imagine needing more (unless you came from an RT and are used to that.) I don't think an RS can ever be made to have the wind protection of an ST. It's just so smooth... Whereas the RT's aren't just smooth, they're downright cozy.

2013's have heat issues. 2014's will have their own issues. Eventually they will be completely solved. If not by BRP then by other SpyderLovers. All Spyders, all models, all years have some kind of issues that need to be dealt with. It's just part of owning them.
    tHe SmOkEr YoU dRiNk ThE pLaYeR yOu GeT!

Spyder Garage

Default Door #1, Door #2, Door #3

My Bias and prejudice opinion (never been on anything but my 2011 RS~S) is to search for a New RS / RS~S 2012 at some dealers USA. They want to upload 2 yr old inventory. The savings you could make may pay for an airplane ticket then you ride your new 2012 home A few aftermarket Mods and your right where you want to be in comfort. I for one spent a little money on 1/8" diamond plate aluminum had it bent and I shaped to size for 4" lower than the foot pegs for a great fit to my 6' 1" 200+# body frame. Not to mention you will still have the New Bike Warrantee for one of the best models on the market.
    If it Feels Good, Do It !!

Too Much Is Just Enough !
    2011 RS~S Pure Magnesium / Black ~M~

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

My dealer has a new 2012 RSS on the floor and I'm sure it would be an awesome deal.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Depends on how tall you are - I started with a RS, then went to the RT for the comfort. There are a ton of new items for the RS that were not available when I had mine, so there are more choices....

I didn't think the 2014 RSS was going to get the new motor?? So it's really a made over 2013. If that's true, I would look no further than a demonstrated solid 2012. I wouldn't touch a 2014 until at least August 2014, and see what summer riding turns up for the early adaptors... but then, I'm back on two wheels....
    2014 RT SE6 Rider
    X - Honda Rider
    X - RT S driver
    X - RS driver
    Lifetime VFW Member

Very Active Member sealfloorboards's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

My first Spyder was a 2009 RS SE5. I loved the concept but it just didn't fit my body or special need. I added 5" Helibar raisers, a 25" windshield and invented the Seal Floorboards. I sat straight and rode very comfortably for two years. Loved it! I finally traded it in on a 2011 RT SE5 at SpyderFest in 2011. They are right when people say that no amount of $ can make a RS as comfortable as a RT but I came pretty damn close. Still needed to invent Seals for the RT to get the ultimate riding comfort. I would seriously consider a 2012 RT or RS if I were in the market today.

Ride in comfort,
    John
    Seal Floorboards

Spyder Garage

Default Great Opinions

Thanks to all for your great opinions. Based on everything I've read on this post and in the past....It appears I should stike the 2013 ST-S off my list. I'm somewhat mechanically inclinded...but not at the level to do major changes or fixes to try and make it right. I know there are some that have no problems with their 2013. But I have the worst luck in the world...so I don't think I want to press it. I'm intrigued by the notion of a 2012 RS-S and possibly adding a few accessoies to make it more comfortable. I'm only 5'-10" so it should fit my frame fairly well. I was at Matthews Fun Machines yesterday sitting on the 2013 ST-S....and I just love the riding position. Saving money is always a good thing...but I'm hoping to hold on to my Spyder for a while...so I keep leaning towards the 2014 ST-S. I know patience is a virtue...but I've waited so long...not sure If I can wait until next Fall to see how things pan out for the 2014. Since winter is coming up....I don't guess there is any real way to find out about the heat issues on the 2014 until next spring or summer?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by flamingobabe View Post
    #1...wait for positive feedback.....you'll need 6+months of feedback....I have a hard time believing BRP has fixed the heat problems on the 2014....when they can't find solutions/fixes to the 2013's...but 2014's do have the new air flow panels....

#2...be very careful and be ready to spend extra $$$$$$$$$......my ST ran great until about 5000 miles and the thing started having every issue you can think of....BRP is aware of issues and have no fix....

#3...RS or RSS can be customized to change seating position....Corbin Lamonster Cut.....my 2009 RS was customized with risers, Spider pegs/floorboards, Corbin, saddlebags, rear rack, everything you talk about...54,000 miles of general maintenance no big issues.....

good luck in your decision....think long and hard....the heat issues affect everything under the tupperware
    point by point. I am a conservative person when it comes to spending big bucks these days. Option #1 is my favorite. The reports will start coming out and we will find out about the new 2014 RT and engines.

I personally did #3 with both my 2008 and 2009. Put over $6K in farkles on each--and still did not have the RT that I was going for. If you like "sporty" RS is a good machine though. Ended up buying an RT-S premier edition in 2010.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    How about some pictures of her bike?
    Here you go Bob. This is my wife's, Spidergirl, bike. She is a GOS member.

Bike1.jpgBike2.jpgBike3.jpg

Here is a list of farkles on the bike.

Audiovox Cruise Control
    CHAD 25" adjustable windshield
    Glo-Ryders in purple
    BRP Comfort seat
    Givi bags with signal lights (put in by me)
    HMF Exhaust
    Juice Box PRO (to be put in next weekend)
    Kewl Metal Spider web vent cover
    Red seat cowl
    Mirror Extensions
    Custom Dynamics Day Runners
    Custom Dynamics fender LEDs
    Custom Dynamics rear center brake light
    Custom made 3" handle bar extension (made by me)
    Custom made floor boards (made by me)
    Kuryakyn Spider pegs and highway peg kit
    Drink holder
    Can Am Decals
    Nelson Riggs tank bag
    Various Spider decals
    Goldwing Solace handle bar grips
    Various LED lighting
    BRP Xenon headlights
    BahaRon stabilizer bar
    Lazer aligned by Mike and Norm at SpyderQuest

Probably more to go on when my wife finds other farkles that she wants.

Spyder Garage

Default Still on the fence

Thanks for the photos bscrive...man that looks good. So my next question is...I will be using the bike for transportation back and forth to work in the summer...but I also see me and my wife heading up to the Blue Ridge Parkway a good bit on the weekends...I know you can add a backrest...but do you think that model will be comfortable for her on long rides?

...in the pink (Girls On Spyders) flamingobabe's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

The ride for the passenger ST vs. RS/RSS is going to be about the same...the comfort for passenger is RT

#IamARyder #RideASpyder #CanAmSpyder