Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Back From Dealer . . . Missing Parts?

I picked my Spyder up from the dealer after the recall work . . . have been out of town and not ridden it much . . . have only parked in my garage on a level floor. I recently discovered the parking brake does not engage. It feels like it does when my foot is on the pedal . . . today I got down to look and saw that, yes, there is a new cable . . . but it doesn't connect to anything ! Can someone name the missing parts for me? Brake.jpg

"Topper" is my Pearl White 2013 RT-LTD

Professional Retiree - liked it so much when I retired from the USAF, that I started another career so I could do it again!

Happy to be a member of the Maryland Spyder Web - find us at

http://www.meetup.com/MarylandSpyderWeb/

2013 RT Limited , White (the fastest color!)

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default missing

i can't see that moving bracket from calliper at all buddy, looks like you lost it

Spyder Garage

I give up
    Illegitimi non Carborundum

2013 RT-S Circuit Yellow with Black Trailer

Spyder Garage

Missing bolt, lever and spring.
    brake rear.JPG

2018 F3 LIMITED

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Reminds me of a movie called DOC HOLLYWOOD with Michael J. Fox, circa 1991. While driving his 1956 Porsche 356 Speedster across the country he crashes after taking a detour, leaving him stuck in a small town.

Finally, after the local mechanics are able to fix his vehicle after a LONG delay, they hand him the keys and a box of parts they couldn't figure where to put back.

Welcome to 1991.
    Last edited by Knarfoh; 10-22-2013 at 10:25 AM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DragonLorD View Post
    i can't see that moving bracket from calliper at all buddy, looks like you lost it
    Or the dealer never put it back when they replaced the brake cable! All I did was ride home from the dealership! I'm taking it to CanAm of Windber, PA to get this fixed , and for anything else I need, from now on!

Professional Retiree - liked it so much when I retired from the USAF, that I started another career so I could do it again!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Question: How has their service been in the past?
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default As I see it..!!

the whole braking mechanism is missing. Not likely it fell off but even so it would mean it was not insalled properly. Don't know why they would even remove it to change the cable..may still be on someones bench.. Not good...hope there service is good or you may need a new place to go..!!
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You paid them what they charge and no say when they screw you
    2012 Spyder RT SE5 Brake pedal mod

Registered Users 3 Wheel Addict's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

They most likely have it trying to figure out who it belongs to. Give them a call and ask them wazup!

Spyder Garage

I've had nothing but problems with the dealer who did this (it was done under the 2013 recall . . . the brake cable had melted) Calling them again will just raise my blood pressure . . . it sometimes takes days to get ahold of the only person at the dealership who will discuss Spyders . . . everyone else says: "You will have to talk to . . . " and they don't take messages. Appointments are two weeks or more from when I call. I've found a good dealer, Can Am of Windber, PA and will only go there, from now on. I emailed that photo to them and they are ordering the parts for me . . . getting a laser alignment when I go, too. I had a great conversation about the heat issues with Tim, there, today, and he is going to look into what other folks have done and come up with some suggestions.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Hayfield View Post
    I've had nothing but problems with the dealer who did this (it was done under the 2013 recall . . . the brake cable had melted) Calling them again will just raise my blood pressure . . . it sometimes takes days to get ahold of the only person at the dealership who will discuss Spyders . . . everyone else says: "You will have to talk to . . . " and they don't take messages. Appointments are two weeks or more from when I call. I've found a good dealer, Can Am of Windber, PA and will only go there, from now on. I emailed that photo to them and they are ordering the parts for me . . . getting a laser alignment when I go, too. I had a great conversation about the heat issues with Tim, there, today, and he is going to look into what other folks have done and come up with some suggestions.

Looks like you have the right idea and solution. Let the other dealer take an express trip to

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Stick a fork in them; they're done...

Spyder Garage

. . . I wonder if I should rethink my position . . . with a good dealer taking care of my , I won't have anything to about!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Yes... but we'd miss seeing you in here!!

Spyder Garage

Default dealer

not only did i get back from the dealer today also but i am still missing my whole bike
    NO BIKE AT THIS TIME

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Hayfield View Post
    I went up to Windber last month, 1st time. Got the laser alignment. Tim and his staff really seem like they're on the ball.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Yes... but we'd miss seeing you in here!!
    I'll make an effort to get upset over other things!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by mrfats View Post
    I went up to Windber last month, 1st time. Got the laser alignment. Tim and his staff really seem like they're on the ball.
    That's the impression I get of Tim. I'm on jury duty . . . don't know if I am free the next day until after 5:30 PM. I have to call in, each night to see if they need me. I asked him if I should make an appointment for after Nov 8, when it ends . . . and once the parts are in, Tim said to call in the morning and he is sure they can get me taken care of same day!

Spyder Garage

OMG! They completely negleted to reinstall the rear parking brake drum. I'd jump on them right away....probably contacting the owner of the dealership. Sloppy techs give me a rash. Techs that get distracted to the point that they cause serious safety issues are a real hazard! I had one service my F-150 and will never go to that dealership again. After you get your parts back, I hope you can find a new dealership...unless they kiss your behind, beg and plead, and make it really, really, really right by you. JMHO
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

It's just a brake part don't worry about it!!!! I would take a picture of it and send it to them and tell them a copy is on its way to your lawyer too, maybe they will respond quicker to that Email. Also include a bill for parts, labour and inconvenience to them.

Spyder Garage

the mechanic was probably texting his girlfriend when he put it back together. didn't like the answers he was getting from her and totally forgot what he was doing! i'd be all over that dealerships owner, just isn't right!

Spyder Garage

I sent the photo to Tim at Can Am of Windber. He has ordered the parts for me and I'll go there when they get in . . . I have no interest in wasting another second with the other dealer . . . it isn't worth the hour to get there and the hour to get home . . . If I ever see that dealership again, it will be because I happen to be riding by.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I think that I'd "drop a quarter" on them to BRP...

Try this one... Email the "Crappy" shop a couple of pics of what they left off of your bike. Tell them that you're taking it to another dealer to have repairs done, and you'll expect them to pay the repair bill for it. Forward that bill to tem once the repairs have been completed.

It worked for me once! It couldn't hurt to give it a shot!
    Last edited by Bob Denman; 10-23-2013 at 07:33 AM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    I think that I'd "drop a quarter" on them to BRP...

Try this one... Email the "Crappy" shop a couple of pics of what they left off of your bike. Tell them that you're taking it to another dealer to have repairs done, and you'll expect them to pay the repair bill for it. Forward that bill to tem once the repairs have been completed.

It worked for me once! It couldn't hurt to give it a shot!
    Good approach! I'd cc BRP Customer Care.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!