View Poll Results: What Octane Fuel Does Your Spyder Drink the Majority of the Time?

Voters
194. You may not vote on this poll
  • 87 Octane

36 18.56%
  • 89 Octane

19 9.79%
  • 91 Octane

59 30.41%
  • 93 Octane

78 40.21%
  • Other

2 1.03%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default 91

The closest station to me had 93 and it was giving me 29.x MPG all summer. Then I found the next closest one had 91 so I've been using that for 8-10 tanks now, and it gives me 31.x!

The only other difference I can think of is the temperature is about 10 degrees cooler now, but I doubt if that matters. I'm happy with the extra 2 mpg!
    2015 Limited , Intense Red Pearl

Spyder Garage

Cool What Octane Fuel Does Your Spyder Drink Most of the Time?

In Oz, premium fuel is 98 octane and on my few outings so far, that's what I've used on the basis of "Most distance per tank".
    The Redback (Aussie spider related to the Black Widow) seemed very happy on this fuel...
    (small sample size at this point!)
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely
    in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways,
    body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming

"WOO HOO - What a Ride!"

Spyder Garage

93 octane for my Bronze Beauty
    ​Jeff

2012 RT Limited Lava Bronze (aka "The Bronze Beauty")
    Ultimate faux crocodile seat, backrest , and armrests in cognac-/black, Luggage nets, luggage, drink holders, top mirror, shorty antenna, SENA SMH10 headsets and SMR10 dongle, Garmin 665lm, Tri-pouch, Trunk mount flag poles, Custom Dynamics vent covers, Show Crome Luggage Rack, custom mud flap, Full Size Brake Pedal, Tricled mirror turn signals, LED strips on rear of front fenders, custom highway pegs, BakerBuilt Air Wings w/ Uppers
    2012 RT Limited , Lava Bronze

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

87 in my 2010 RS. I never got any increase in mileage/performance with higher octane gas, so I don't waste my money. (http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/2...oney/index.htm)

That said, I buy gas without ethanol every chance I get, I *do* get significantly better mileage when I do. Sadly, no such stations near me, but I always get to treat my Spyder nice when I hop out to West Virginia for the twisties.

Spyder Garage

Default 87 in Colorado

I, along with most of the other Spyder owners in Colorado use 87 octane.

Spyder Garage

In my 2008 GS I run only 87 octane. I've tried higher octane fuels, but they seem to offer no increase in performance and do decrease the MPG. I tested it fairly carefully over different riding conditions at various times and it is consistent in decreasing the fuel mileage with the higher octane.

And, whenever possible it is real gas for me too.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by usn97ret View Post
    I, along with most of the other Spyder owners in Colorado use 87 octane.
    I have run 91 since I got my 2012 RT-S

Spyder Garage

I try to stick to ESSO gas up here and only use 91 octane
    2014 RT-Ltd , Cognac

Spyder Garage

Default Octane in Spyder

I have a 2012 RTS-SE5 My owners manual( page 47) says: Inside Untied States Recommend 91 Octane Minimum 87 Octane. I use 93 or 91 Octane depending where I fill-up.

Deanna777
    2023 F3 LTD Special Series , N/A N/A Mineral Blue

Spyder Garage

I have 2013 Rs and run 93 octane. Tried non ethanol lost mileage takes time for computer to adjust and non ethanol is tough to find up here.
    I also ron Ace additive which took my mileage from 34 to 39 mpg and with top brand fuel 41 mpg.
    GREAT STUFF

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bmccaffrey View Post
    ...I also ron Ace additive which took my mileage from 34 to 39 mpg and with top brand fuel 41 mpg.
    GREAT STUFF
    Ace what additive? Tell us more, please... what is it, where do you get it? Is it a consistent 15-17% mileage improvement, or just a couple-tanks fluke?

Thanks in advance...
    2015 Limited , Intense Red Pearl

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

We use 91
    Used 87 a couple times and it definitely negatively affected the way it ran.

Spyder Garage

I use 91 at a minimum. However I will not refuel at a station that has only one nozzle for multiple octane levels since the first gallon is going to be most likely the lower octane level. I use "acar" on my Android Phone to track my mileage

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It's my belief that in Europe and Australia/NewZealand the fuel companies use a different math to calculate octane ratings. SO....
    here in the UK I run the Spyder on both the 93 octane and 97 octane fuel and I find that the higher octane gives a tad more 'punch'
    to the acceleration while the 93 gives better mileage. So really it's more of a case of quid pro quo and it depends what your requirements are.
    You can overdo the use of high octane fuel as it burns at a higher temperature and gives limited advantages.
    On early gas engines you could burn out valves by using 'over the top' high octane fuel and although I don't think that that would be a problem
    with modern fuel injected engines, there is, it seems, a point of limited/ minimal returns using the higher octane stuff.
    Just my thoughts on the subject.
    Last edited by OJ UK; 01-05-2014 at 08:27 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by missouriboy View Post
    Ace whait will tell u all a additive? Tell us more, please... what is it, where do you get it? Is it a consistent 15-17% mileage improvement, or just a couple-tanks fluke?

Thanks in advance.. $ o .
    If you google Aces fuel additive It will tell u all about it. Will take 87 to 96 89to 98 93 to 102 octane. Is also a lubricant reduces bore ring and valve wear by 600%. Increase mpg average 14%. 1 oz. 6gal. It is also a stabilizer. Used all summer love It. Little pricey but worth every penny.

Spyder Garage

If you google Aces fuel additive It will tell u all about it. Will take 87 to 96 89to 98 93 to 102 octane. Is also a lubricant reduces bore ring and valve wear by 600%. Increase mpg average 14%. 1 oz. 6gal. It is also a stabilizer. Used all summer love It. Little pricey but worth every penny.
    Doesn't seem to be too many purchase options other than directly from the company.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Mostly 91 if not a available on the backwoods 87 and as a treat a tank of racing fuel..all in all average 33 MPG...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 2
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

93 octane.

Spyder Garage

I always put in the highest octane available at the station where I am refueling. In most cases its 91 here in Alaska. I do notice a difference in performance if I use 87.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

[QUOTE=BajaRon;739643Doesn't seem to be too many purchase options other than directly from the company.[/QUOTE]

If you or anyone are Interested in purchasing some it can be purchased at Hudons Sled Salvage in Barneveld NY 315- 896-2217. Can ship UPS

Spyder Garage

If you or anyone are Interested in purchasing some it can be purchased at Hudons Sled Salvage in Barneveld NY 315- 896-2217. Can ship UPS
    Just got off the phone with Brian, the owner. He spent quite a bit of time with me. Obviously, he lives this stuff!

I am very interested in his products and I've ordered the Aces IV (Gasoline additive) and Aces II (Diesel additive). I will run both and report back. If they do what he claims it will be quite an improvement over what I've been using.

Always looking for a better mouse trap!
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Why is the poll closed?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I always feed the beast 93 octane...
    Just in case the question of fuel quality comes into play; I figure that I may have bought myself a bit of "wiggle room" with it!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    Just got off the phone with Brian, the owner. He spent quite a bit of time with me. Obviously, he lives this stuff!

I am very interested in his products and I've ordered the Aces IV (Gasoline additive) and Aces II (Diesel additive). I will run both and report back. If they do what he claims it will be quite an improvement over what I've been using.

Always looking for a better mouse trap!
    Yes Brian is very smart. Don't think you will be disappointed

Spyder Garage

Always use 93 or better when available, non ethenol if possible

Cruzr Joe

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer