Thread: Water Falls

Spyder Garage

Default Water Falls

Last Saturday was going to be a beautiful fall day and I intended to make the most of it since the days are becoming shorter. I had not been in the southern mountains for some time. I decided to ride to Highlands and visit Bridal Veil Falls and Dry Falls.

I headed west on Hwy 74 and merged onto I-26 west. This section of 26 between Columbus and Hendersonville is very scenic and fun as you go up and down the Saluda grade and the Green River Gorge.

Hwy 64 west was the next road I was going to take from Hendersonville. I was tempted to take a side trip to Dupont Forest and visit Hooker and Triple Falls but continued on my way to Brevard.

It was a little chilly in Brevard so I stopped and put on my insulated bibs. They felt good and I was comfortable again.

I had forgotten how much fun 64 is with its inclines and twisties. The leaves were starting to turn but I think this weekend will be the peak for colors.

Highland was very busy with people enjoying the fall colors and mountains. The temperature had risen and was ryding in jeans and tee shirt. I made my way to Bridal Veil Falls which is located right on 64. There is a pull off at the falls. Also there is a paved road under the falls so you can walk or drive under it and take pictures. As you can see this is very popular. On this day the water flow was very low with not much water falling.

highlands 8.jpg highlands 10.jpg
    Dry falls is just a mile or so west on the left. It had good water flow and the falls were rushing. It gets its name because you can walk behind the falls and not get too wet depending on the volume of water.

highlands 17.jpg highlands 22.jpg
    On my way back I decided to take Rt 215 north and ride the parkway for awhile. Rt 215 has a lot of twist and turns and can be challenging. There was a little more color at higher elevations. I took Rt 276 back down to Brevard and stopped at Looking Glass Falls. It was also crowded with people enjoying the day.
    highlands 68.jpg

I had filled the tank in Highland and wondered if I had enough gas to get me home? Twelve miles from Shelby the last bar disappeared. I was determined to keep going; I was by myself so no big deal. I would just call my son and ask him to bring gas if I didn’t make it.

I made it back to Shelby and filled the tank. It took 5.5 gallons at 161 miles, mileage came to 29.3. As it turned out I had plenty of gas. I would have gotten better mileage if I had dropped the RPM’s going up 64 and 215, but the smiles would have been less.

Enjoy the ryde!
    Never lost, just different roads!!!!!!!!!

Spyder Garage

Default Beautiful ryde..!!

awsome pic's of the falls. Glad you made it with a half gallon to spare. Looks like a great place to see and ryde...be safe..!!
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Very Cool, i am so jealous

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Spyder Garage

Default Water Falls

Nice picture.

Spyder Garage

Great pics ! Thanks for sharing. We rode that road the week of the owners event. Awesome road, our new favourite.
    Happy Owner

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Very nice pictures. I went to the Bridal Veil falls for the first time this past summer. We do the Maggie Valley/Gatlinburg area every summer and I cannot wait to go back next year.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Spyder Garage

Beautiful pictures. Those impressive falls are gorgeous to look at. You have to drive far and wide to find places like that.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 11-13-2013 at 04:02 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Cool Gods Country

Enjoy it while you can its will into winter sooner then later .

Spyder Garage

I'M HURT...
    WHY DIDN'T YOU INVITE ME....?????
    SERIOUSLY, NEXT TIME, GIVE ME A BUZZ (PM) AND I'LL MEET UP WITH YOU AT A LOCATION OF YOUR CHOICE... I RIDE THOSE ROUTES QUITE OFTEN...

OH, AND IF YOU'VE NEVER BEEN TO 'HELEN BACK'... YOU NEED TO TRY THAT RIDE... THAT'S HELEN, GA FOR THOSE OF YOU FROM YOBA LINDA.....
    PS; AWESOME PIX....

Spyder Garage

We will be heading to Bridal Veil Falls and others next October at the Spyder in the Smokies Rally. Can't wait!! To see more about the rally you can go to www.spyderinthesmokies.com
    Last edited by maliamd; 11-13-2013 at 05:45 PM.

Spyder Garage

Default Riding in Western NC

Next time you're in the area, give me a shout, I'd be happy to ride with you!