Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

"once we were at a state park in Tennessee and the lodge was about ten miles from a waterfall we wanted to visit. Since her Spyder was covered for the night I coaxed her to get on behind me.
    as we pulled into the falls parking area we arrived at the same time as four guys on Harley's. One of the guys said "little lady I bet you'd like to drive yourself some day".
    "that's it", she said ..... I am driving this thing back. You can either walk or be a quiet passenger!"

That's when it's best to just hand her the keys, and climb up onto the pillion pad...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Spyder Tony View Post
    I don't mean to sound chauvenestic, but this question arises from a comment my girlfriend made to me a month or so ago, and i've been wonderin' ever since. She offered to drive the Spyder coming home from a lengthy trip to give me a break (she said it half jokingly) and I vehemently said "no, thank you". When she asked why, I realized it was merely because I didn't feel "comfortable" in the passenger seat with her driving because of image related reasons. Although there is nothing wrong whatsoever with a man being driven on a motorcycle by a woman, I have never seen it...which is what brings me to my question. Have any of you guys out there been the passenger when riding 2-up with your better half? Has anyone seen this on the road(s)?
    Yes, my husband Mark has ridden on the back of the Harleys and the Spyders. I must admit that we have gotten lots of looks, but neither of us care.

Spyder Garage

The reason men do not ride in the back on any bike goes back a long time ago. Woman for year rode behind the man, hence the term "Riding Bitch" was coined. That term has been used as stated before for a long, long time. I can't think of one single term that has NOT changed in the motorcycle culture that is not just a term Harley riders use, and is used by ALL riders. SO..with that being said. if you feel comfortable enough to ride in the back...each to his own...however understand the looks and snickers you will get doing so.....as for me.....not no...but HELL NO!!!

Spyder Garage

My wife normally rides a Kawasaki VN1500 and I ride a Yamaha Royal Star Venture. As we are getting closer to doing some long haul touring, we decided it made sense to do it two up. Neither of us fit the others bike very well, so we decided to look at three wheel vehicles and chose an RT. It is perfect, both of us can drive as the mood takes us.

Am I concerned that someone might make comments about me being on the back of a bike driven by a woman? No. I don't live my life looking for approval from others. My personal philosophy is that if you let a desire for affirmation from others hinder your ability to live your life in a way that brings you happiness, then you get no sympathy from me.

Spyder Garage

No, not as yet, but then Linda's license class doesn't allow for a passenger and after 6 months with the Ural and its stick and all mechanical controls she's just isn't comfortable with the Bug.

As to what others may or may not think I'm a 69 year old curmudgeon and as the patch on the vest says "I'm sorry but my give a is busted."

Ride and ride safe,
    Curt Givens KC8STE
    Dayton, OH - Home of Hamvention
    MOLON LABE
    2012 Viper Red RT-S
    Center tail/brake light
    Mud flap run/ts
    Fender bright sides
    LED Tip lights
    Rivco Flag holder on trunk
    BRP Hitch
    Piggybacker XL Trailer

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

[QUOTE=Gray Ghost;707383
    I don't live my life looking for approval from others. My personal philosophy is that if you let a desire for affirmation from others hinder your ability to live your life in a way that brings you happiness, then you get no sympathy from me.[/QUOTE]
    Well said!

Spyder Garage

I wish I was smart enough to be able to come up with that quote...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ArsonInvest View Post
    The reason men do not ride in the back on any bike goes back a long time ago. Woman for year rode behind the man, hence the term "Riding Bitch" was coined. That term has been used as stated before for a long, long time. I can't think of one single term that has NOT changed in the motorcycle culture that is not just a term Harley riders use, and is used by ALL riders. SO..with that being said. if you feel comfortable enough to ride in the back...each to his own...however understand the looks and snickers you will get doing so.....as for me.....not no...but HELL NO!!!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

One of the best things about the spyder is that you can take any type of passenger on the back safely. This is not the case on 2 wheels. I owned plenty of 2 wheeled motorcycles in the past and took my uncle on the back once as he was begging for a ride. That was the one and only time I took a man on the back of my motorcycle (I'm a woman if you haven't already guessed). On a 2 wheeled machine if the passenger outweighs you by a substantial amount he can alter the steering and lean. It was very awkward and not enjoyable at all. However on the spyder I have taken my larger brothers for rides before with no problems. It is the same as taking them in my car, very stable. I don't often have a passenger, but if a man wants to ride behind it is OK with me on 3 wheels. I do not prefer to do this on 2 wheels however.

Agree with the previous posters- this is 2013. It's time to put the B***ch rides and other sexism away.
    2012 Can Am spyder RT: RED! Widow pegs with kuraykyn mounts, ride on sealant in all tires, stebel nautilus air horn, ELKA shocks, Ultimate saddle & driver backrest, digital clock & oil pressure gauge (replaced OEM gauges), xenon lights all around, Custom dynamics brake light, SEAL pup floor boards, Baja ron sway bar, chain guard, bump skid & block off plate (all from spyderpops), Baker air wings, Custom Dynamics turn signals & fender lights, custom paint job (hot rod flames)

Spyder Garage

I don't mean to sound chauvenestic, but this question arises from a comment my girlfriend made to me a month or so ago, and i've been wonderin' ever since. She offered to drive the Spyder coming home from a lengthy trip to give me a break (she said it half jokingly) and I vehemently said "no, thank you". When she asked why, I realized it was merely because I didn't feel "comfortable" in the passenger seat with her driving because of image related reasons. Although there is nothing wrong whatsoever with a man being driven on a motorcycle by a woman, I have never seen it...which is what brings me to my question. Have any of you guys out there been the passenger when riding 2-up with your better half? Has anyone seen this on the road(s)?

We we have a rule around here, as long I am paying for everything around here, I don't ride in the backseat...haven't really thought about the Spyder though?

Spyder Garage

This is a little different but kinda on the same issue. I have begged my wife to ride one of our Spyders. She has told me no on every occasion. The other day we were at the beach and I asked her again. She told me if I ever asked again she wouldn't ride anymore. SO I guess she will always be behind me. I have always thought that if she were around other women that ride she might want to learn. For now I am not bringing it up again......

Spyder Garage

Wow...can't believe all the insecure men here...

Phil

I may be old, but I got to see all the cool bands.

2011 Spyder RT-AC

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by flaggerphil View Post

Im a dog thank you.

lol

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SNOOPY View Post
    Im a dog thank you.

lol

better be careful of what you say!

Spyder Garage

Lol

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

My wife has said several times that she does not want to ryde the Spyder. I even tried the "what if something happens to me?" Her reply was "that is what a taxi is for", so I gave up. Now my 21 year-old Daughter, that is a different story. I won't teach her, as I can't afford another byke
    Is it Friday yet? ... Oh yeah, I forgot. I'm retired

Past bikes
    2010 RS - Sold
    2012 RT - Sold
    2014 RT - Testing completed
    2016 F3-T Audio package - Sold

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Riding Passenger

I never rode passenger only because my wife refused to get licensed. There were times that I wished she had driven when I was plain beat and could have used a break. I'm real comfortable in my roll as a man that having a woman drive would not bother me.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by flaggerphil View Post

neanderthal.jpg
    C'mon guys; lighten up! You might find it relaxing to get a chance to just look at the scenery for a change...
    Last edited by Bob Denman; 10-16-2013 at 04:36 PM.

Spyder Garage

Yep, I ride passenger behind my wife nowadays when she wants to drive. I've been riding since 1960 and only about four months ago was my first time ever to ride as a passenger. It's okay now even though it did take a little getting used to.

Carl
    2012 White RT Limited and 2013 Yellow ST-S Think 3 .i.

Spyder Garage

I have ridden pillion many times when we first purchased the RT and as she was learning. I am sure we received some funny looks but who cares...I am not that insecure in my manhood. I kid her that I now have designated driver if I want a cocktail with lunch. :-)

Spyder Garage

Lightbulb Looks like you stirred up a little emotion

Well Spyder Tony, it appears that this little question has stirred up quite the range of emotions and has shown the true colors of many of the members of this forum.
    Personally I truly enjoy being the passenger and I also enjoy driving but I am not so sure that I would enjoy driving if you were behind me.
    Lucky for us our second is on its way and the choice to ride or drive is no longer in question!

Very Active Member Pirate looks at --'s Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default 50 50

My girlfriend has more time on a bike that I do. So when I was her inking about buying the RT, I told her that I would only buy it if she drove 50% of the time. We have 4000 miles in a little over 2 months and I think we both have about 2000 miles in the front. She is an incredible driver, an my biggest complaint is I want to fall asleep in the back, have caught myself dozing quite often back there. So those of us secure in our manhood can ryde in back as easy as in th front.
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

Very Active Member Pirate looks at --'s Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Aha

Quote Originally Posted by PassionSpyder View Post
    Well Spyder Tony, it appears that this little question has stirred up quite the range of emotions and has shown the true colors of many of the members of this forum.
    Personally I truly enjoy being the passenger and I also enjoy driving but I am not so sure that I would enjoy driving if you were behind me.
    Lucky for us our second is on its way and the choice to ride or drive is no longer in question!
    i know who this is, coming out of lurk mode huh! Great meeting you last night
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

Spyder Garage

Yup, do it all the time. I don't have a problem with it and really don' t care what others may think or say!!! As someone has said, it's nice to sit back and enjoy the scenery.
    2011 RT LTD /MODS: Seal Floorboards, Elkas, SpyderPops Bump Skid and Block off plate, HMT Brake light, BajaRon's sway bar, Heim Links, Diamond R's passenger armrest, Utopia driver backrest

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Ridin "B _ _ _ _" .... doesn't mean what you think !

I have no problem ridin' "BUDDY" with my wife. It's nice to be a passenger just to sit back and enjoy the ride ! Don't worry guys......... it won't hurt your image or your ego.