Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Question...has any guy ridden passenger with their girl/wife 2-up?

I don't mean to sound chauvenestic, but this question arises from a comment my girlfriend made to me a month or so ago, and i've been wonderin' ever since. She offered to drive the Spyder coming home from a lengthy trip to give me a break (she said it half jokingly) and I vehemently said "no, thank you". When she asked why, I realized it was merely because I didn't feel "comfortable" in the passenger seat with her driving because of image related reasons. Although there is nothing wrong whatsoever with a man being driven on a motorcycle by a woman, I have never seen it...which is what brings me to my question. Have any of you guys out there been the passenger when riding 2-up with your better half? Has anyone seen this on the road(s)?

Spyder Garage

NO
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

My wife only wants to be a passenger. Come to think of it I don't think I've ever seen it (although helmets & jackets could make that tough to determine at times).

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Cruzr Joe View Post
    NO
    Joe,
    Do you think that she'd actually hit that ejector seat button on you??
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Joe,

I am not brave enough to test that

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Spyder Garage

Default YES

Yes. All the time. My wife likes to drive the spyder as much as I do. On long trips it's great to get a break so we usually switch every time we stop for gas. Its great to ride on the back, relax and enjoy the scenery. Other women riders thank it's fantastic and always wave or give a thumbs up. Other men riders seem to have little reaction other then to stare.
    2011 RTS SE5

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Joe,
    I think Sheila has... and there is no button either!

To answer the OP's question: Not saying anything here... but there is a reason why my wife has her own ... just saying!
    (I'M GONNA DIEEEEEEEEEEEE)
    May all your encounters with the law begin with the words: "nice trike!".[/B]
    2015 Can-Am Spyder F3-S SM-6 Can-am Red/Black SM-6 with 2010 Black RT-622 trailer (hitch in the works).

Previously owned:
    2010 Can-Am Spyder RT SM-5
    2011 Can-Am Spyder RS-S SM-5
    2013 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SM-5

Spyder Garage

Yes. My wife doesn't "drive" very often but she does from time to time with me on the pillion. It's kinda interesting back there. She much prefers to ride in the back, though...
    Phil

I may be old, but I got to see all the cool bands.

2011 Spyder RT-AC

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I feel trouble coming from this thread! I know a lot of the guys in our spyder club ride on the back sometimes. I would and have before, but my wife is a bit nervous (just needs more practise). Hope this is a good answer!!!
    2012 RT , stock Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Default Yeah..!!

A few times. I see nothing wrong with it. I have a manual so the wife will not drive and I won't teach her. She can't drive my car as well but if she could I would have no problem with her driving some. But I do see when this starts there is always a new roadster on the way....!!
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Nope - No Way - No How -- My butt will not fit on any backseat on any bike.. Call me bullheaded but I will not ride B*tch with any woman. That being said, I have seen this a few time at some rallies I have attended and the shout outs are not very friendly. Have also seen a guy riding back seat with another guy operating - you can imagine what was said as they rode by. This of course is only my opinion on me riding on the back seat.

I say to each their own. Everyone should ride they way they feel most comfortable.
    2014 RT S SE-6 Cognac, 2014 Indian Chieftain. Retired Navy Chief

Spyder Garage

Many times, before and after shoulder surgery. She drove to Spyderfest, Doc would not let me drive. I had ridden many times behind her before and still do now.

2014 RT Limited Cognac ----- Wraps, skid plate, lights, Elkas
    2002 harley ultra classic
    2008 hayabusa

Spyder Garage

Default Guys riding as passenger

My husband will ride on the back with me quite frequently. When we tkae his Harely in for servicing, he hops on and away we go on the Spyder until the Harley is ready. No big deal to him.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Mine likes sitting on the pillion so that she can tell me where to go.
    She's gotten pretty good a that over the years...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

When we are out of town and go out to dinner he will ride on the back of my Spyder so he can have a drink with dinner. I don't drink so I'm the DD.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Yes, We have a couple in our club that for medical reasons the husband can't ride anymore. His wife is up front and they have a great time. They still get to ride just not in a "traditional" way.
    2015 RTSE, Red Pearl, Shorty Antenna, Chrome Rear Rack, Deer Whistles, BajaRon Anti-sway Bar

Spyder Garage

The fact that this even comes up means we, as women, still have a ways to go. In this day and age NO ONE should think twice about having a woman driving the bike and having a man sit in the back. My husband never gave it a second thought about me driving with him in the back. It was a natural for him as it is a natural for me to sit in the back. Let's move forward people!!!

Spyder Garage

Why do you think I got the Semiautomatic this go round with my 2013. Actually, she still won't operate the thing. I have no idea why. I've encouraged her to do it. I've even taken her to a parking lot (I don't think this counts) to let her experience the feel.

Now I will say that I let my 15 year old grandson take her out with me on it. That's when I noticed (from a passenger's vantage point) the spyder tracking. I looked at my grandson's hands and he was not moving the steering grips. The wheels appeared to be darting back and forth. This phenomena does not occur since my ROLO* alignment.

* (Sorry, but I just can't remember their new name) (Actually I like ROLO better)

Chris

Fauquier County VA - Virginia's most carefully pronounced county.
    Spyder Garage

Yes. Even on the "Tail of the Dragon". It was the only way she was going to get the t-shirt.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by DR Buck; 10-16-2013 at 12:07 PM.
    2012 RT Limited - Pearl White

My Mods -
    http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?39494-DR-Buck-s-2012-RT-Limited-Mods
    2012 RT Limited , Full size brake peddel White w/Red Highlights

Spyder Garage

My wife routinely is in the saddle with me as passenger. I love the break and being able to take in the scenery. I see men as passengers a lot--even on Harley's. I don't care what other people think to be honest. I assume they are mentally giving me crap for buying a Spyder so why not give them one more thing to stress over

Spyder Garage

I started to teach my niece to drive the Spyder this month, she is 25. I have been on the back a few times now, and I think I like it. I think we still have a way to go on the equality issue but I always like to see the ladies driving no matter who's on the back.
    Dan

2014 RT-S SE6, 2012 RT-622 trailer

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    When we are out of town and go out to dinner he will ride on the back of my Spyder so he can have a drink with dinner. I don't drink so I'm the DD.
    Uhhh ... That would be "D.R."; right?

Spyder Garage

We have always driven our own bikes. My wife refuses to be a passenger. When we travel and check into a motel and need to find a place to eat,we usually just take one Spyder (hers) and I jump on back...never a problem for me.

once we were at a state park in Tennessee and the lodge was about ten miles from a waterfall we wanted to visit. Since her Spyder was covered for the night I coaxed her to get on behind me.

as we pulled into the falls parking area we arrived at the same time as four guys on Harley's. One of the guys said "little lady I bet you'd like to drive yourself some day".

"that's it", she said ..... I am driving this thing back. You can either walk or be a quiet passenger!
    Penny and Rick have owned many motorcycles starting in 1974 with Honda’s, then to Suzukis, Gold Wings and ultimately Spyders.
    ‘74 Honda 360T (pair); ‘78 Suzuki GS 1000 (pair); ‘’82 Honda Aspencade; ‘84 Honda 400; ‘87 Yamaha 1100; ‘99 Honda Valkyrie; ‘01 Suzuki Burgman(triked); ‘02 Honda GL 1800(triked); ‘10 Spyder RTSE; ‘11 Spyder RTSM; ‘12 Spyder RTSL (pair); ‘20 Spyder RTL (current)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by acinpcola View Post
    Nope - No Way - No How -- My butt will not fit on any backseat on any bike.. Call me bullheaded but I will not ride B*tch with any woman. That being said, I have seen this a few time at some rallies I have attended and the shout outs are not very friendly. Have also seen a guy riding back seat with another guy operating - you can imagine what was said as they rode by. This of course is only my opinion on me riding on the back seat.

I say to each their own. Everyone should ride they way they feel most comfortable.
    LMAO!!!

Spyder Garage

I have rode pillion a few times. When I was teaching akspyderlady how to drive the , I was on board for the first 100 miles or so. She caught on very quickly so we went to separate rydes pretty quickly.

In two years of rydeing with me--akspyderlady has over 17,000 miles as passenger and driver combined.

I have no problem with being in either seat position--but--I prefer to drive my own.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red