Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by FlaBound View Post
    Bought one of the First Gear Thermo Suits from Ron last year. Can't remember what the lowest temp I rode in. But suffice it to say I rode ALL winter, except when road conditions prevented me. As an FYI, I'm about 6' 180 lbs, and the large fits perfect.
    Most are good down to the low 30's with just this suit and street clothes. Some are good into the 20's. With a bit more of a base layer most are good for another 10 degree drop.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

I also carry all of the Firstgear heated products, jackets, jacket liners, gloves, glove liners, pants and socks. Plus the Heat-Troller control units as well.

Electric is more expensive but boy is it comfy in cold weather! And you can set it up for used on more than 1 motorcycle/ATV/Whatever.

Spyder Garage

Default Clearing Up Some Misconceptions...

There have been a few who thought this Thermo Suit was electric, which it is not.

There are no wires or electrical heating in this suit. Instead, the Thermo Suit is just very well designed and good at keeping your body warmth in and the cold out. You will need a good pair of gloves to keep your hands warm in conditions where the Thermo will keep the rest of your body warm. And you might want to add some thicker socks under your riding boots.

Firstgear also makes a full line of heated gear if you want to go that route.

You can see it all at the Firstgear web site here.
    Firstgear

Prices listed are retail. I can always do better.

Very Active Member Silvervette05's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I ordered my suit on Weds Oct 30 I paid $ for it. I can't wait to get it.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Silvervette05 View Post
    I ordered my suit on Weds Oct 30 I paid $ for it. I can't wait to get it.
    Not to worry... They told me it's ready for pickup anytime...!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post

Love that one Ron.

Glo Ryders {4 sets (Blue, Red, Orange, Pink) I swap out}
    Rear Trunk Liner ......... Seal Floorboards
    Rear Trunk Shelf
    Corbin Heated Seat
    extra 12V plug
    Elka shocks
    White/Red fender lights
    Bump/skid
    Baker Wind Wings
    Honey Burl Dash Kit

Spyder Garage

Actually, my customers get special, expedited delivery....

Spyder Garage

Just curious if you knew how well this heat pump vest works. Interesting.

http://www.firstgear-usa.com/heat_pump.html

Thanks,

Shawn
    ** Loving my 5th Can-Am Spyder since 2007! **

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spyder-dude View Post
    Just curious if you knew how well this heat pump vest works. Interesting.

http://www.firstgear-usa.com/heat_pump.html

Thanks,

Shawn
    I am very curious about this product myself. It is brand new and I have not sold any of them. I don't think people even know they exist. I would love for someone to get one of these and report back. If they didn't like the vest I will refund their payment. It would be worth it to find out how well they work.

Firstgear usually does a fair amount of testing before they launch a product so I'm thinking it might do very well. PM me if you want pricing.

Update: Well, silly me! No wonder there isn't any feedback yet. These will be available December 1st. There is a pre-buy discount on right now.
    Last edited by BajaRon; 11-02-2013 at 09:39 AM.

Spyder Garage

Spyder Garage

Actually, my customers get special, expedited delivery....

Spyder Garage

For those of you who have gotten a Thermo suit, let me know what you think...

Spyder Garage

Ron,
    Thanks for the thermal suit. Works just like you said.

Went to see Len at Pitbull last week. When we left Des Moines, Iowa it was 26 degrees. I stayed nice and warm in my thermal suit. Under the suit I had a t-shirt and then a med. weight sweat shirt.
    Just blue jeans on and thermal socks.

The suit is well worth the price. This will extend my riding until the snow starts to cover the road.

Mowerman
    Proud Owner of a 2017 f3t

Spyder Garage

For those of you who have gotten a Thermo suit, let me know what you think...
    I love mine, Ron. I've only worn it once, and was toasty warm at 40 degrees for hours at highway speed. I'll let you know how it goes when it gets really cold out. I plan to ride all winter, as long as the roads are dry.

"Topper" is my Pearl White 2013 RT-LTD

Professional Retiree - liked it so much when I retired from the USAF, that I started another career so I could do it again!

Happy to be a member of the Maryland Spyder Web - find us at

http://www.meetup.com/MarylandSpyderWeb/

2013 RT Limited , White (the fastest color!)

Spyder Garage

We love ours! Make sure you go a size more if you are planning to wear street cloths under it (we do that all the time when we ride to work). This is also a great cold rain suit!
    May all your encounters with the law begin with the words: "nice trike!".[/B]
    2015 Can-Am Spyder F3-S SM-6 Can-am Red/Black SM-6 with 2010 Black RT-622 trailer (hitch in the works).

Previously owned:
    2010 Can-Am Spyder RT SM-5
    2011 Can-Am Spyder RS-S SM-5
    2013 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SM-5

Spyder Garage

Ron, I got my thermal suit, how do you say warm as toast. Thank You

Spyder Garage

Thanks everyone. Glad you like the Thermo suit. Have fun with your Spyder and be warm!

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Hey that looks like my truck!
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Registered Users 3 Wheel Addict's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Ordered mine on Tuesday and got it on Thursday, wow that's fast! I won't quote the price on here but he beat the net and ebay. Thanks Ron
    Sold my 14 RTS went back to 2 wheels.
    2014 Kawasaki Vaquero SE

Spyder Garage

I had my heart set on the first gear thermo for Christmas and gave Ron's info to the wife. When we were shopping we dropped by a dealer and seen them on the rack so I tried a large on but no way could I get it zippered up, way to tight in the middle. Now I am only 5/8 with 27" inseam so the large was already plenty long. When I tried the XL on the pants were 9" too long. and even though they have a elastic cuff and stay up the pants looked like an accordion on me. I checked to see if they sell a short size but apparently not. This really sucks , I know they are suppose to fit a bit long to allow for the seated position but I think they look a bit ridicules when walking around.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bluestratos View Post
    I had my heart set on the first gear thermo for Christmas and gave Ron's info to the wife. When we were shopping we dropped by a dealer and seen them on the rack so I tried a large on but no way could I get it zippered up, way to tight in the middle. Now I am only 5/8 with 27" inseam so the large was already plenty long. When I tried the XL on the pants were 9" too long. and even though they have a elastic cuff and stay up the pants looked like an accordion on me. I checked to see if they sell a short size but apparently not. This really sucks , I know they are suppose to fit a bit long to allow for the seated position but I think they look a bit ridicules when walking around.
    1 piece suits are not for everyone. The Thermo is pretty forgiving but for some, separate jacket and pants are the only way to get a good fit. Firstgear makes great jacket/pants combos too!

You can see all of their stuff at this web site.

Firstgear

Teddys favorite human CyncySpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Thumbs up Thought I'd add my updated review after 3 seasons of use- Still Highly Recommend

Teddys favorite human CyncySpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Thumbs up Sorry for the repeat, but I just HAVE to SHARE our EXPERIENCE with Y'all

1stGear Riding Suit Review
    (Originally posted 12/30/2010)

OK, so I took advantage of the 1stGear Riding Suit being offered here by a fellow member (BajaRon) for $*** delivered.
    You cant get it that cheap from the manufacturers website even, so it was a Great Deal (if it worked)

Well, Ive had mine for over 3 weeks now (as of 12/30/10) & promised to give it a review once I had time to actually test it out, so here goes.

Let me start by saying, IMHO
    For the price, YOU CAN'T BEAT IT!

THERMO TEXTILE 1-PIECE SUIT
    100% waterproof, 210 denier Hypertex
    120-gram polyester insulation
    Full storm flap closures on zippers, pockets and cuffs
    Cargo storage pockets
    Elasticized ankle closures and adjustable waist
    2-year limited warranty

Ive ridden in 5-12 degree F temps for more than 30 minutes at a time, reaching brief highway speeds up to triple digits, and with only wearing normal clothes underneath, (long sleeve shirt & jogging pants) & the only thing that got chilled (not cold) was my neck area. While riding, the collar provides adequit wind protection with a full face helmet, but whenever I look down at my instruments, I can feel the cold air on my neck.

Ive read other posts talking about Balaclavas, but I havent really felt I needed one. I actually went out and bought one, and if I were going on a long trip in sub-freezing weather, I may use it, (thus still haven't) But Ive found for trips less than an hour, its not really an issue.

Ive been out ryding everyday that its been dry out. We had 2 weeks straight with below freezing temps, and I was able to ryde 11 of the past 14 days. Today, it got up to 37 & I went for a 100 mile ryde, just for fun. All was on the expressway & I was actually passed by a 2 wheeler, and the thoughts that went thru my head were, that guy looks miserable. He had no windshield, half helmet, scarf, at least 2 heavy coats & i dont know how many pants & gloves, but you could tell the guy wasn't having fun. Me, on the other hand, thanks in part to the RT-S's heated grips & adjustable windshield, along with my 1stGear Riding Suit, I WAS HAVING FUN!!! I love this suit!!!

The legs zip up half way for easy access for putting on boots & then have velcro to close over the zipper to prevent wind/water from get'n in & elastic at the bottom to create a seal around your boots.

The arms have velcro adjusters at the end, so I put on my bulky gloves and velcro them tight and get no air/water penetration at all.

Now for the drawbacks

NO HAND POCKETS:
    The Suit has 1 chest pocket & 2 smallish front-leg cargo pockets. It has no pockets on the sides like you have on normal pants. So, when you come to your destination, & if you take off your balky riding gloves like I do, you have no-where to put your hands to keep them warm while walking in the cold to your destination.

COLLAR:
    The collar could be another inch or so higher to help buffer the cold air when looking down, but that may just be me. I mean, if I had a shorter neck, it wouldn't be an issue, right? LOL As stated above, looking forward with normal driving, the wind wasn't an issue in the neck area.

BULK:
    The suit is kind of bulky, but I don't think you can really get around this, for the wind/cold protection that it gives you. I'm 5'9, 175lb & ordered a medium size. The waist is adjustable with velcro strips and the top fits fine, but the legs bunch just a bit, but nothing major.
    Conclusion:
    OK, so...... all that be'n said, I checked out 1stGears website www.firstgear-usa.com and they do have another riding suit (Expedition) that looks like they corrected the few issues that I mentioned here, but for
    $500!!!

For $*** delivered, I'm enjoying ryding every day thats dry no matter the temperature outside. I hope this helps some of you that have been on the fence about this product. I don't think you would be dissapointed, I know I'm VERY SATISFIED & can now enjoy Ryding my Spyder Year Round!!!

Update: 3/24/2011
    I ditto everything stated above

Update: 11/21/2013
    I ditto everything stated above, however, I think I discovered the suits first real issue, at least in my personal use & experience.
    After 3 years/seasons of use in freezing/cold temperatures, I've rather shockingly discovered that the suits Water-Proofing properties were extremely compromised, and the suit no longer provides any real water/rain protection. This may be a known common occurence that over time, products such as this suit, will eventually loose their water-repellancy capibilities, but I personally was unaware of this fact. Needless to say, wearing the suit on a 600 mile trip while it was in the 40's and pouring down rain, within about 15 minutes of the beginning of the ryde, I started to feel cold running down the center of my back. At first, I thought it was just the cold rain water running down the outside of the suit from my helmet, but I soon discovered the water was INSIDE the suit. It seemed where ever there was a sewn seem, water would flow right thru it. After 45 minutes of ryding thru the rain, I was soaked to the bone and because of the cold water, I was freezing & had to stop & change into an entirely new set of dry clothes and alternative rain-gear that I had brought along, just in case. Since that experience, I tried applying two coats of Scotch Guard Spray sealant as recommended by a buddy & tried the suit again just this past Halloween, and it still leaked really bad. I'll try another type of Heavy-Duty sealant & see if that helps any or not.

So, with this latest discovery, let me add this statement.
    In dry weather of any temps below 50
    I STILL HIGHLY RECOMMEND THIS SUIT

And for the first 2 seasons of use, the suit performed flawlessly as both my Cold Weather & Rain Gear combined.
    You just need to be aware that its water repellancy properties do become compromised over time. Maybe if I had treated it with a proper sealant, after each season of use, it would have retained its repellancy properties, I'm just not sure. I'm still trying other sealant products to find one that works, but until then, I still use our 3 year old Thermo-Suit every day for winter ryding, as long as its dry.

One more update & I personally believe, this UpDate Says It ALL

11/22/2013

After Ron saw my post, we PM'd back & forth & he made it clear that in all his years of dealing with FirstGears products, he hadn't ever had a customer have an issue so early in the products life span, and even tho we both knew the warranty was up, he asked me to call FirstGear and make them aware of the issue I was experiencing. I personally didn't think anything would come of it, except for maybe giving them some feedback & being told "Thanks for your purchase, but its out of warranty, sorry but there's nothing we can do for you." I'm sure we've ALL had this experience, and it is rightly so, cause a warranty is usually ONLY valid a certain time period. Anyways, I called as asked and spoke to Nick at FirstGear & explained my situation as stated above. He agreed with Ron, that yes, over a period of time, the water-proofing ability of the Thermo-Suit would become compromised and start to break down, but he stated that shouldn't be happening until about 5 or 6 years of use, and that 3 years was way too early. He reminded me that the suit does only have a one year warranty, but that he would talk with the FirstGear Brand Manager about my situation, and then he'd get back to me.

Right there, that was more than I thought I would get in the first place. So then I thought I probably wouldn't hear back for at least a few days, if not weeks. I was shocked to find his reply in my email inbox later last night, with the statement:

"David, I discussed your issue with the FirstGear Brand Manager, and while he realized your product was outside of the warranty period, he agreed with me that your suit, for one reason or another, did not perform as well/long as we anticipated, and he wants you to be a happy customer, so he gave me authorization to issue you an RMA to return your suit for a Brand New One at no cost to you. Please forward me your mailing address and I'll get this taken care of ASAP for you."

Please understand, I'm NOT saying this is the case for anyone else, but this has been my personal experience that I think needs to be shared. For a company to go out of its way to make sure their customer is happy with their product, and if not, do what it takes to make the customer happy ...... well, I think we ALL would agree, this is a business practice that seems to be sorely lacking in todays society.

I also think its important to add the disclaimer here, that this was done by them, for me, just David, a customer that called them with a concern, not knowing anything else besides what I discussed with them. So believe it or not, Teddy's pseudo-stardom in the Spyder World had absolutely no persuasion of them doing what they thought needed to be done, just to make me, Joe-Customer Happy. I think its safe to say, FirstGear has made a
    Customer For Lyfe

Spyder Garage

Firstgear has always given customers excellent service but they surprised even me on this one! I very much appreciate you're giving credit where it is due. Thank you for posting!

Good customer service is not an accident.

You're going to love you're new suit!

Spyder Garage

Tried mine out today. Central Michigan .high 35 overcast. Can't say it loud enough , First Gear Thermo GREAT !!! Stayed warm , was comfortable and enjoyed the ride!! I highly recommend these for anyone riding in cold weather ! Yes yes