Spyder Garage

Default Strong smell of gas since Recall

I'm sorry about posting another 2013 complaint but this is the first problem I've had with my Spyder. Since having the heat recall performed I now have a strong gas smell after riding my spyder. I didn't have the smell before the recall. Any ideas?

2016 F3 Limited Triple Black

Spyder Garage

Default not sure

but they wrapped the canister that has charcoal in it as a filter for smells coming from the gas tank. si they might of not set it right. let the dealer check it out
    NO BIKE AT THIS TIME

Spyder Garage

My thought , since I have noticed the same thing , is the fix is retaining heat longer in the canister after a long ride. That is when I notice it most. It may prevent melting but it isn't allowing faster cooling so the fumes pour out longer.
    Last edited by Magdave; 10-14-2013 at 02:00 PM.
    2013 Mag Silver SE5 RT BahaRon Sway bar & Sway bar links, Grip Puppies, Kuryakyn Helmet locks , Ultimate Seat w/Utopia Backrest, Dash power outlet, Spyderpops BumpSkid, Swagman Cup holders, Full size Brake Pedal, Seal DLX Floorboards, Freeway Blaster horns, Sylvania Super Bright fender LEDs, Scotchlite 680 Rear & Fender Reflectors, BRP Fog Light Kit, LED Mirror turn signal strips, 2014 RT grille mod. Outlaw Laser Alignment

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by eagleeye299 View Post
    I'm sorry about posting another 2013 complaint but this is the first problem I've had with my Spyder. Since having the heat recall performed I now have a strong gas smell after riding my spyder. I didn't have the smell before the recall. Any ideas?
    Take it back to the dealer and have them look at it. My ST has no gas smell ever (before or after recall) and it is reasonable for you to expect the same thing from your ST. It is possible that during the recall something was damaged or done incorrectly, the tech is human. It is also possible that something failed and the timing is just a coincidence. Either way give them a chance to make it right.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Gas Smell

Wow, I have the same issue. I had the recall work done as well. I just attributed it to me possibly over-filling the tank when refueling but now that I hear others it seems like the same issue. My wife complained to me yesterday. She said "every time you come back from a ride you smell". I'll be curious to see what if anything comes of it. I will post if anything changes.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 333Club View Post
    Wow, I have the same issue. I had the recall work done as well. I just attributed it to me possibly over-filling the tank when refueling but now that I hear others it seems like the same issue. My wife complained to me yesterday. She said "every time you come back from a ride you smell". I'll be curious to see what if anything comes of it. I will post if anything changes.
    Well after my 50 mile ride today I had none. I know I may have shorted the tank fill and my speeds were no higher than 55mph. I got drips yesterday after running 70mph for a longer ride. Go figure. I keep putting a paper towel under the vent now to verify. It was originally because I was watching for a clutch oil leak to return after the dealer looked at it and cleaned the cylinder( not yet) but caught a gas drip instead. Try the towel check.
    2013 Mag Silver SE5 RT BahaRon Sway bar & Sway bar links, Grip Puppies, Kuryakyn Helmet locks , Ultimate Seat w/Utopia Backrest, Dash power outlet, Spyderpops BumpSkid, Swagman Cup holders, Full size Brake Pedal, Seal DLX Floorboards, Freeway Blaster horns, Sylvania Super Bright fender LEDs, Scotchlite 680 Rear & Fender Reflectors, BRP Fog Light Kit, LED Mirror turn signal strips, 2014 RT grille mod. Outlaw Laser Alignment

Spyder Garage

I'm close to my 4600 mile oil change and I will tell the dealer about the gas smell.

2016 F3 Limited Triple Black

Spyder Garage

I just picked mine up from the dealer last week and have not had the gas smell at all. I had that " new plastic smell " but no gas scent. I did notice a shimmy at 50 mph , I added more air to the tires but I still get it occasionally . I am going to guess it is some of the roads I ride on doing this. I would go back to the dealer and find out why.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Shimmy

Is it a shimmy or a harmonic vibration from the belt. I get the slight vibration around 64 MPH. If I speed up or slow down it goes away.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ZRCAT600 View Post
    Is it a shimmy or a harmonic vibration from the belt. I get the slight vibration around 64 MPH. If I speed up or slow down it goes away.
    Me too at 2 at same speed with different tensions 500n when it was setup (wrong) and 1050n that the 2013 is supposed to be at. I find that a little strange to get the same vibrations at the same speed with both tension

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Gas smell

Well I guess I'm not the only one my ST-S is in the shop because of that and lack of power...

Spyder Garage

Default Little checking..!!

seeing that they remove the canister (I hope) to apply the heat shielding material they hopefully check the venting hoses that have been known to dry out from heat issues. If any are cracked or split this can cause the odors...if it continues have it re-checked...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default gas smell

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    seeing that they remove the canister (I hope) to apply the heat shielding material they hopefully check the venting hoses that have been known to dry out from heat issues. If any are cracked or split this can cause the odors...if it continues have it re-checked...
    Thanks I will tell me mechanic to check for that....

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Sorry to know that after you got it from the dealer and you start smelling gas.

That makes me worry about taking mine in for intermitent frunk opening.
    2012 Spyder RT SE5 Brake pedal mod

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Same Here...

I had me recall work done a few weeks ago and noticed after longer rides (where the bike was at operating temperature) I had the smell when I parked it in the garage. I also noticed the body of the bike between my knees was hotter than it was before the recall work. I have to say that I have not noticed the smell any more in the last 7 to 10 days and I have been riding the bike daily. Also, the heat in the tuperware is not quite as hot as it was a couple of weeks ago, but that may be attributed to the drop in ambient temperature in my neck of the woods (Went from 90's to 70's).

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Smell

Here is a new one since I'm having the same smell issue my dealer told me that a tech at BRP told him that I need to get the RPM above 5 or 6 for the machine to work better.....I think what they want is for us to ride fast so that we don't have the time to smell the gas fumes after the recall was done....so if a cop stop me going 90 MPH on a 35 I will tell them the tech from BRP told me to drive this way sorry officer but is not me is my

Spyder Garage

I experience just the opposite . . . strong gas smell before the recall work . . . none, after.

"Topper" is my Pearl White 2013 RT-LTD

Professional Retiree - liked it so much when I retired from the USAF, that I started another career so I could do it again!

Happy to be a member of the Maryland Spyder Web - find us at

http://www.meetup.com/MarylandSpyderWeb/

2013 RT Limited , White (the fastest color!)

Registered Users 3 Wheel Addict's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Baseball79ST2013 View Post
    Here is a new one since I'm having the same smell issue my dealer told me that a tech at BRP told him that I need to get the RPM above 5 or 6 for the machine to work better.....I think what they want is for us to ride fast so that we don't have the time to smell the gas fumes after the recall was done....so if a cop stop me going 90 MPH on a 35 I will tell them the tech from BRP told me to drive this way sorry officer but is not me is my
    I got that exact same bulls**t from my dealer! They told me that the fumes don't purge until the RPM's are above 5000. I can shift that high but not ride that high or i'm speeding! I would think they could adjust the RPM that the purge valve opens if that is the case!!

Spyder Garage

Wonder how you are supposed to keep the RPM above 5000 when sitting in traffic? That is the only time I get the fumes. And they are bad.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Baseball79ST2013 View Post
    Or you could just stay in a lower gear and keep the rpm up while doing the speed limit.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!