Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cuznjohn View Post
    i just called the dealer about hearing from brp. he told me the canister was melted and one is on order so no bike until it comes in being the bike is all apart so now it is just a waiting game to get the bike back. i was really starting to think i was going nuts with everyone not having problems saying the people with problems have the poor me's and we were cry babies, so believe it or not i feel a lil better knowing they did find a problem and that i was not loosing it
    My bike got the "recall" done before I ever picked it up so there was no way I had anything melted. However I still have extreme heat around the gas tank and surrounding seat plastic. Big question is will they come up with a solution to the "source" of the heat. Just protecting the parts that can melt is NOT the answer it's only part of the problem. Someone mentioned looking at spark plugs for comparison and i'm going to pull mine out this weekend to see if i'm burning lean.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I believe that Hotglue posted some pics of what a VERY lean running bike's plugs look like...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Anything is Possible

Quote Originally Posted by 3 Wheel Addict View Post
    My bike got the "recall" done before I ever picked it up so there was no way I had anything melted. However I still have extreme heat around the gas tank and surrounding seat plastic. Big question is will they come up with a solution to the "source" of the heat. Just protecting the parts that can melt is NOT the answer it's only part of the problem. Someone mentioned looking at spark plugs for comparison and i'm going to pull mine out this weekend to see if i'm burning lean.

The recall was a "bandaid fix", so it's possible the canister may have melted again along with other parts... Be sure the dealer checks the wiring harness that runs next to the master cylinder, mine was melted to the bare wires. There were no codes that showed up.

Good Luck

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I think it's important for BRP to figure out why some have a heat problem and others do not. A lean mixture can increase exhaust gas temps significantly. Unfortunately, there's no way for the owner or technician to adjust fuel maps. Frankly, I cannot understand why the fuel maps can't be adjusted. Harley Davidson has had that ability for at least seven years. Also, I don't understand why BRP ran the exhaust headers so close to critical components, like the fuel tank, master cylinder and evap canister without some attempt at shielding. That being said, it still doesn't explain why some have boiling gas and gas caps which are too hot to handle while others don't.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Yep that one confuses me too. I do know that BRP Evinrude does have the ability to adjust maps "on the fly" cause we had some done this year alone. Tech service would e-mail me a map and I would download it and install in the customers outboard and have them try it, took a couple of times but we finally got it. I also think that BRP has their hands tied while trying to meet EPA standards for emissions and keep the bike rich enough to live. There has to be some variable that is making some bikes not like the "map" and others are ok with it. I got good news today from BRP, I have been assigned a case worker to my claim and they should be contacting me shortly to figure something out... I hope!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default brp

if brp can tell me the other day on the phone that i am shifting at the right rpm's and cruising in the optimal range and that my bike is running very hot just by looking at a buds report, why can't they come up with a new map for the bike to adjust it.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

They can; and they have...
    They can re-flash your ECM...

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Magdave View Post
    But I got a SE5
    Just means you have to try harder

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cuznjohn View Post
    i went and bought a cheap heat detector and took a ride, when i came to a stop in 66 degree weather i took readings at all the hot points and took pictures of each reading as i took them. i sent the pictures to him and he said it is way too hot. .
    Any chance of sharing these? I'd like to see where you're taking the temps from (and what you're getting)

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default New Problem

Problem #6: Frunk switch quit working. At dealer yesterday, had to order new switch..
    After dealer sent in Buds rpt, Heat issues, no return call. Service manger called and talked to BRP Techs. Answer; my spider is running normal and they are working on a fix. A FIX if it is running NORMAL . He said they don't have an answer

Spyder Garage

Unhappy My Story as told by others

Ill start off by saying even with the issues I love this machine, I have now 3500 miles in 60 days so I do ride it this is what I know: When its nice and cool out and the machine is in motion its runs great and cool except the seat area gets rather warm..... When its hot and you are not in motion its obvious there is no air passing thru the machine, the heat gets trapped and things heat up. I did get the heat shield fix but did question where the heat goes, that being said I went on a day trip, at around 2pm I ended up in the middle of Kingston NY, and sat at a few lights, stop and go, it was warm out so all the elements in place....bam! check engine light.... turned out to be after limping back to my dealer, my evaporator canister (I'm told was clogged) and I had a fouled plug.... I really think the heat messed up my evaporator or deformed it. whatever the case may be, its heat related, If this was an open vehicle we would not be here. BRP has not got back to me in weeks and its obvious they have no answers and i'm sure not the only one here so its get in line.... I still feel if we can at least wrap the exhaust safely and parallel a turbo fan to kick on with the existing fan to release heat from under the plastic things should simmer down, just my opinion, meanwhile i'm afraid of a long trip and break downs.... recalls happen on every vehicle so I understand that, so thru my experience this is where im at.... I think we need to be careful what we shield because as we are protecting other items from heat we are also holding heat in... one thing I will shield is the bottom of the seat direct maybe with insulating cork

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default My Two Cents Worth

Ok here is my two cents about the right foot heat problem. Thought I would just share this with everyone. Yes I had a heat problem, but not all that bad. I also had a foot placement problem, for me a little bit of a worse problem. After looking at the problem I came up with the following.

The rain defector sheild seems to defect the heat from the radiator chamber back on to your foot. On the 2013 this is a little worse because they have put foot plates on the bike. The rain defector panel was on earlier models, but they had pegs. These shield also limit the amount of travel your foot can move while riding. So I shortened the rain defector panels and no more problems . By doing this I now have room to move my feet around. My foot does not get hot because there is air flow over my foot . And the engine seem to run a little cooler because the heat from the radiator chamber is being drawn out better because of the air flow across the lower hole. The panels from BRP are $27 so it is not the end of the world if you have to replace them at some point in the future. I did both sides to make it look like it was made that way, and if you did not know they where bigger you would not say a thing about it.

Thought that I would just pass this on as my idea to the problem. It is really easy to do, no money spent, no highway pegs bought and it seems to work well. Oh and by the way, you are riding a motor cycle so if it rains your foot is going to get wet. That is just the way it works.

Just to let everyone know, 2013 RT-S ES5 Viper Red . I'm 6'6" tall, so I need all the room there is.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thanx for the input, BigJohn. Sounds like you are getting SOME air to move. I just wish BRP would chime in. Aren't they the ones with a test track? A laboratory? Test instruments? Something?? Anything? I just hate the thought of going into my garage and cutting off water deflectors or cutting holes in the bottom of my machine without reasonable research. Trial and error might work, but what are we doing to our machines in the long run? Hello, BRP?? Hello? Anyone there??

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I wonder if a set of moveable deflectors could be built to replace those lower ones??
    Pull them in, and they'd shovel the rain away from your feet. Push them out; more air where it's needed!

Thinks out loud
    Spyder Garage

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by BobDenman View Post
    I wonder if a set of moveable deflectors could be built to replace those lower ones??
    Pull them in, and they'd shovel the rain away from your feet. Push them out; more air where it's needed!

Excellent idea Robert.......

Thinks out loud
    Spyder Garage

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by JkRbbt View Post
    Aren't they the ones with a test track? A laboratory? Test instruments? Something?? Anything?
    Short answer is......Us

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default brp help

how can they help when i was just at the dealer and tomorrow is the scheduled date for the delivery of my fuel canister, it's just over a week for a piece of plastic to be delivered

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jerbear View Post
    Excellent idea Robert.......
    Thanks... But I'm just the "idea guy" ; no mechanical skills!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default BRP did answer

[QUOTE=JkRbbt;710316]Thanx for the input, BigJohn. Sounds like you are getting SOME air to move. I just wish BRP would chime in. Aren't they the ones with a test track? A laboratory? Test instruments? Something?? Anything? I just hate the thought of going into my garage and cutting off water deflectors or cutting holes in the bottom of my machine without reasonable research. Trial and error might work, but what are we doing to our machines in the long run? Hello, BRP?? Hello? Anyone there??[/QUOTE

BRP has answered because there is no much they can do at this time. To make a modification in this area at this time would require re-tooling of each part. That would be very expensive and would cost the few customers that would buy them a large sum of money. Plus they where modifing the Spyder for 2014 anyway. These parts where used on earlier modules so they get there tooling cost back. So in many ways it will be up to the owners of the 2013s to find the solutions to correct the problems. Unless the owner proves the fault lyes with BRP. This attitude holds true for Ford, Chevy and all automotive manufacturers including other cycle manufacturers.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

[QUOTE=BigJohnP;711123]
    Quote Originally Posted by JkRbbt View Post
    Thanx for the input, BigJohn. Sounds like you are getting SOME air to move. I just wish BRP would chime in. Aren't they the ones with a test track? A laboratory? Test instruments? Something?? Anything? I just hate the thought of going into my garage and cutting off water deflectors or cutting holes in the bottom of my machine without reasonable research. Trial and error might work, but what are we doing to our machines in the long run? Hello, BRP?? Hello? Anyone there??
    BRP has answered because there is no much they can do at this time. To make a modification in this area at this time would require re-tooling of each part. That would be very expensive and would cost the few customers that would buy them a large sum of money. Plus they where modifing the Spyder for 2014 anyway. These parts where used on earlier modules so they get there tooling cost back. So in many ways it will be up to the owners of the 2013s to find the solutions to correct the problems. Unless the owner proves the fault lyes with BRP. This attitude holds true for Ford, Chevy and all automotive manufacturers including other cycle manufacturers.